Game Downloads, $10 or $15 in Amazon.com Credit (Titles such as: HF, DA2, AC)

Anyone downloaded a game from Amazon before? Do you just get a file that you can backup or do you have to use 3rd party software for downloads?

It depends on the title. For example, when I purchased Dragon Age II, I got a key that I could use with the EA Download Manager. I could also use the Amazon Download Managing program.

You can uninstall and re-download as needed.

I had really bad luck with my recent purchase of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. The Amazon downloader would not install on my desktop, so I had to run it on my netbook and then begin the slow process of transferring it over. Even then, it turned out that the download files were corrupted, as the downloader apparently doesn't have an effective CRC checker. The tech support for their download service is beyond useless, which I found shocking since Amazon typically has excellent customer service (to be fair, they did offer me a refund, which their terms of service says they will not do). I finally wound up needing to use "creative means" to download the disc so that I could use the activation key that I had purchased legally. Overall, it was quite the hassle, and it made me appreciate Steam and Impulse that much more for having simple, effective services. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did.

Amazon's foray into "Game Downloads" is never going to be as effective as such download giants like Steam, but as long as it does what it meant to do I'm fine.

Yeah; I have no clue about Amazon tech support. But obviously, customer service is always above and beyond.

I'll almost always go where it's cheaper, excluding Valve games. I have no allegiance to Steam. Amazon is heading in a great direction.

Does anyone know if this credit is good for all game purchases, not just game downloads?

[quote name='RedGamer']It depends on the title. For example, when I purchased Dragon Age II, I got a key that I could use with the EA Download Manager. I could also use the Amazon Download Managing program.

You can uninstall and re-download as needed.[/QUOTE]
So is the Amazon program only for downloading or do you need it installed to play the game as well?

[quote name='rybrad']So is the Amazon program only for downloading or do you need it installed to play the game as well?[/QUOTE]

In my experience, EA games typically have keys you can use with EA DM. Homefront, for example, is a Steamworks title, so it is on Steam. Even says that on the requirements after they list computer spec. So you attach that key to Steam.

Amazon is just a way to get you the installer in every game I've purchased from them and often there are better ways to get that, including Steam or EA DM.

bread's done
Back