Game of Thrones discussion thread - Season 5 debuts April 12th

This is actually a different actor.
Yes, it's the third different actor. Conan Stevens was reportedly not easy to work with so they didn't ask him back. The second guy they got is nearly as tall but is a beanpole and couldn't do the fight scenes this season required. This time they got a strongest man regular that's 400 lbs but still several inches shorter than Stevens. Not that anyone could come near the 8ft stature claimed in the books.

Yes, it's the third different actor. Conan Stevens was reportedly not easy to work with so they didn't ask him back. The second guy they got is nearly as tall but is a beanpole and couldn't do the fight scenes this season required. This time they got a strongest man regular that's 400 lbs but still several inches shorter than Stevens. Not that anyone could come near the 8ft stature claimed in the books.
He also landed a role as Bolg on The Hobbit Trilogy, so that might have been part of it as well.

I'm super late to the Thrones party but I have a bit of a dilemma. I blind bought S1 and S2 back in November and S3 when it released in March. I'm just now getting around to watching them and have watched them up to episode 2 of S3 and have really enjoyed it so far.  Now that S4 is upon us, I don't know if I can wait a year for it to come out on Blu ray.  My cable provider, Cox Communications, is offering HBO for $10 a month for 6 months. I also could buy the VODs on Amazon or XBOX video. I've never purchased a TV season pass but I'm assuming individual episodes are available the day after they air. Or I could just wait it out till next Feb and buy the blu rays then, which I'll do anyways. Anyone else in a similar situation? 

Oh, and my favorite story so far is Arya and her encounter with Jaqen H'ghar. He's such a badass. I'm also anticipating the Red Wedding I've heard about last year.

I'm super late to the Thrones party but I have a bit of a dilemma. I blind bought S1 and S2 back in November and S3 when it released in March. I'm just now getting around to watching them and have watched them up to episode 2 of S3 and have really enjoyed it so far. Now that S4 is upon us, I don't know if I can wait a year for it to come out on Blu ray. My cable provider, Cox Communications, is offering HBO for $10 a month for 6 months. I also could buy the VODs on Amazon or XBOX video. I've never purchased a TV season pass but I'm assuming individual episodes are available the day after they air. Or I could just wait it out till next Feb and buy the blu rays then, which I'll do anyways. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Oh, and my favorite story so far is Arya and her encounter with Jaqen H'ghar. He's such a badass. I'm also anticipating the Red Wedding I've heard about last year.
you can find decent streams for free the next day as well. Just do that unless theres enough other stuff on HBO to justify the price point.

Just finished season 3 finally, got some beef from having read the books.

How Barristan the Bold is introduced, way better in the book in that you dont find out who he really is for a bit.

Ygritte shooting jon snow, pretty sure she wasnt even with him over the wall, and if she was she didnt shoot him, much less three times. Once in the leg, that was it.

No COLD HANDS. wtf, sam and gilly get to the castle and already know about bran because cold hands told them to get him and bring him.

Cutting out Edric Storm, I get for the purpose of condenseing, still pretty stupid though.

The red wedding was stupid. Jeyne, his wife, also stupid. In the book he just shows up with her and she is from westeros, she comes from a family that is ruled/sworn to house lannister, the Westerlings. In the book she is NOT even at the red wedding. She is left behind at riverrun and is very ambigous in the books about what happens to her, left open to the point that can infer that she is pregnant with rob's baby and fled to parts unknown due to how there are two very different accounts of her appearance by cat earlier in book and jamie when she is leaving riverrun in book 4 I think (reading for second go through and havent  gotten to that part in 4 yet, its such a tough book to read through)

Pretty sure there were others I was pissed about but cant remember right now.

As far as season 4 goes, it could all the rest of book 3, there is a lot of shit that happens in the last 1/3. Book 4 and 5 are concurrent split in geographical locations. There is more than one guide on the net about ways to combine 4 and 5 since they are both out now, when they were originally published years apart.

One example: http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

I didnt think to do this myself until I was halfway through book 4 again, but willing to bet that this makes 4 and 5 much better reads, I envision that they will do something along that line for the series. So essentially after season 3, the show will go in chronological order through 4 and 5 books, which will prolly cover another 3 seasons at least I would think, maybe more if they dont condense too much.

Word to the wise, if you decide to read the books, combine 4 and 5. 4 is just awful to read. In the middle of it right now and its a struggle to force myself through it. Too long and not a whole lot happening with mostly characters you dont care about since they have been mabye mentioned in passing before or they are just plain boring.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can find decent streams for free the next day as well. Just do that unless theres enough other stuff on HBO to justify the price point.
I'd rather take the legal route. I was looking at other HBO shows I was interested in but it only includes True Blood and maybe True Detectives. I couldn't find a concrete answer but after a bit of Googling, it seems the VODs won't be available outside of HBO (GO) until the blu ray release. I may as well just wait till next Feb to watch S4.

I'd rather take the legal route. I was looking at other HBO shows I was interested in but it only includes True Blood and maybe True Detectives. I couldn't find a concrete answer but after a bit of Googling, it seems the VODs won't be available outside of HBO (GO) until the blu ray release. I may as well just wait till next Feb to watch S4.
Do you have any friends or family, aka Framily, that have hbo? If so, see if they will share their account info with you and you can get hbo go for free essentially. I have shared my account info with a few people (its fairly safe, nothing they can really do to your account other than pay your bill for you hahaha) and they use it for espn and hbo since they cut the cord and only have internet.

I would suggest picking up the HBO for 6 months, since you'll be able to go back and watch episodes of S4 via HBO Go. It's available on HBO Go as soon as the episode releases, so you could watch it that way if you wanted to.

Do you have any friends or family, aka Framily, that have hbo? If so, see if they will share their account info with you and you can get hbo go for free essentially. I have shared my account info with a few people (its fairly safe, nothing they can really do to your account other than pay your bill for you hahaha) and they use it for espn and hbo since they cut the cord and only have internet.
The president of HBO has said that they know when you're sharing out your HBO Go information and they can remove your access for TOS violations, though they're choosing not to do that at this time. I'd be wary of doing it since they could yank access because account sharing is a TOS violation.

'prolly', lol. Also completely disagree with your spoiler tab to the point that I'm too lazy too respond or where to begin. Thumbs up I guess.

I'd rather take the legal route. I was looking at other HBO shows I was interested in but it only includes True Blood and maybe True Detectives. I couldn't find a concrete answer but after a bit of Googling, it seems the VODs won't be available outside of HBO (GO) until the blu ray releaseI may as well just wait till next Feb to watch S4
Also, watch True Truth. On a related note, I call BS on waiting 'till Feb to watch S4. Yes, that's a challenge.

HBO has said they know when you're sharing out your HBO Go information and they can remove your access for TOS violations, though they're choosing not to do that at this time. I'd be weary of doing it since they could yank access because account sharing is a TOS violation.
Honestley I wouldn't be wary at all.

Unfortunately I don't have any framily (lol, what a weird word) that have HBO. :(

I would suggest picking up the HBO for 6 months, since you'll be able to go back and watch episodes of S4 via HBO Go. It's available on HBO Go as soon as the episode releases, so you could watch it that way if you wanted to.

The president of HBO has said that they know when you're sharing out your HBO Go information and they can remove your access for TOS violations, though they're choosing not to do that at this time. I'd be wary of doing it since they could yank access because account sharing is a TOS violation.
If I do pick up HBO, I don't know if I want to pick it up before the start of S4 or wait it out till it ends so I can marathon it, like I did S1 through 3.

'prolly', lol. Also completely disagree with your spoiler tab to the point that I'm too lazy too respond or where to begin. Thumbs up I guess.

Also, watch True Truth. On a related note, I call BS on waiting 'till Feb to watch S4. Yes, that's a challenge.

Honestley I wouldn't be wary at all.
Yeah, I realize I'd be waiting a while but I'm used to waiting for price drops on games so I might be okay.

I've watched the first 3 seasons (well I'm only a few into season 3) on Bluray. I've read the books so it's not like I'm dying to know what happens next. :D

I have HBO for free for six months or a year since I moved and got new service, so I'll probably DVR season 4. Need to watch the last 7 eps of season 3 first though.

I would recommend picking up HBO, then you can have access to other series available "On Demand" or through GO.

Series to check out:

Boardwalk Empire (final season)

True Detective

The Newsroom

Vice

They also have access to older series if you haven't seen them:

The Sopranos

The Wire

Rome

Deadwood

Eastbound and Down

Entourage

Flight of the Concords

Plenty to keep you occupied if you haven't seen some of these.

10157384_10152038275809142_1111688428_n.jpg

All men must die, except Hodor

I'm super late to the Thrones party but I have a bit of a dilemma. I blind bought S1 and S2 back in November and S3 when it released in March. I'm just now getting around to watching them and have watched them up to episode 2 of S3 and have really enjoyed it so far. Now that S4 is upon us, I don't know if I can wait a year for it to come out on Blu ray. My cable provider, Cox Communications, is offering HBO for $10 a month for 6 months. I also could buy the VODs on Amazon or XBOX video. I've never purchased a TV season pass but I'm assuming individual episodes are available the day after they air. Or I could just wait it out till next Feb and buy the blu rays then, which I'll do anyways. Anyone else in a similar situation?
FWIW, I just called Comcast to complain that my bill had gone up, and the rep discounted my monthly payment by $40 and tossed in free HBO for the next two years. It never hurts to be a squeaky wheel!

FWIW, I just called Comcast to complain that my bill had gone up, and the rep discounted my monthly payment by $40 and tossed in free HBO for the next two years. It never hurts to be a squeaky wheel!
I used to complain and threaten to cancel when they raised the prices, it worked for awhile. Eventually they started calling my bluff.

HBO is showing all of GoT starting back from Ep 1 S1 on HBO2.   Started at 9AM ET and it's going all the way up until the S4 E1 showing.

So, 30 straight hours of GoT, all in order?  Yes, please. :D

When the hound said ''fuck the knicks'' I got hype as fuck and then he raw s'd those three dudes and was like YOU SO PRINGLES and then his arya assist was like FREEZE NEEDLE STORM

Yea well they screwed up a key scene from the book that i was really looking forward to, Tyrion meeting Prince Oberyn. Was SO much better in the book.

Really wouldnt have been much longer than the bullshit intro he got in the show, so dont think it was a time issue, but man that book scene was really good. One of my favorite scenes for Tyrion.

Finished up S3 yesterday and oh my, I was not ready for the Red Wedding. Not sure what was more shocking, that or Wrestlemania 30. Also, regarding that gif above, poor poor Theon. :(

I decided to hold out on subscribing to HBO but was pleasantly surprised to hear that S4 premiere will be available for free to 360/One owners from April 8 through the 14th. I first saw an ad for it on the 360 dashboard hoping HBO changed their mind regarding VODs available on services other than HBOGO but found out that wasn't the case. Oh well, let's see how long I can hold out.

Why? There's some good stuff with Theon in ADWD that we probably won't see for a while on the show.
My only exposure to the books is what my fiancee tells me. Personally, I've not enjoyed a single moment of Theon's screen time in the series. I don't doubt something cool could be in the cards, I've just got no clue about it.

Show just got renewed for seasons 5 AND 6. Not a surprise given most cast/crew contracts run through 6 and the show has done phenomenally for HBO.

https://twitter.com/GameOfThrones/status/453596142270304256

My only exposure to the books is what my fiancee tells me. Personally, I've not enjoyed a single moment of Theon's screen time in the series. I don't doubt something cool could be in the cards, I've just got no clue about it.
Depending on how they try to do events from AFFC and ADWD into upcoming seasons, you may not see it until S5 or S6. It's worth a read of the books, as I had more enjoyment of re-watching the series to see what changed from the books.

Show just got renewed for seasons 5 AND 6. Not a surprise given most cast/crew contracts run through 6 and the show has done phenomenally for HBO.

https://twitter.com/GameOfThrones/status/453596142270304256
I guess that should carry us well into the second half of the timeline of AFFC and ADWD if we have 29 more episodes to go from now. Hopefully HBO will break out some additional episodes into S5 and S6 now that they're not doing True Blood after this upcoming season and may have some "spare" money available.

Makes me wonder who we'll have going into a 7th season, since that would likely start getting some items from Winds of Winter that may not have been done when we get to S6.

Does he grow it back or something?
No, it doesn't. I liked
the sequences with Theon at Winterfell, as well as some of his earlier bits as Reek.

It's worth a read of the books, as I had more enjoyment of re-watching the series to see what changed from the books.
I've no doubt. It's definitely on my to-do list. It's at least one way to defeat the spoiler alert that is my pre-wife squirming right before something crazy happens in the show.

But that Theon character development doe.

I've no doubt. It's definitely on my to-do list. It's at least one way to defeat the spoiler alert that is my pre-wife squirming right before something crazy happens in the show.
What's a pre-wife?

sounds gross if it's squirming

bread's done
Back