Game recommendations for a toddler

jacknicklson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
197 (100%)
Hey CAGs,

Just picked up a DSi for my son and am just looking for suggestions. Preferably with minimal\optional stylus control

Thanks!

I find that all games aimed at children actually require the most stylus control. I'd recommend all the typical games (Dora, Diego, Kai-Lan, Backyardigans, etc.)
These provide short, to the point instructions, and require some tapping on the screen or blowing on the microphone to accomplish tasks. They also contain some useful tasks (number counting, colors introduction), instead of just 'killing Bowser'.

Unless your toddler is way ahead of the curve in terms of hand-eye coordination, games like NSMB are only going to frustrate them with their required precise jumping.

...my two cents.

Despite that he may still enjoy it now and only get better at it as he grows up. I mentioned NSMB because it's the only game I could think of that I've played that may be suitable.

He's 3 1/2

We played NSMBWii and he got bored because he really couldn't advance too much.

I picked him up sonic rush(he did well with sonic 1 on xbla) and kirby super star ultra.

His favorites so far are ratchet and clank(we've beaten almost all of them), racing games, and SMG2(though he really just watches me so it doesnt really count). That should give you an idea of what he can handle

Thanks guys!

Chase, Tag or hide and seek?

I jest. My almost 3 year old is nowhere near ready for video games. Which is ok, we have enough TV tantrums, we don't need video game tantrums.

[quote name='mcelfour']Chase, Tag or hide and seek?

I jest. My almost 3 year old is nowhere near ready for video games. Which is ok, we have enough TV tantrums, we don't need video game tantrums.[/QUOTE]

You say you jest, but you bring up a good point. I personally don't believe it is a good time to be pushing video games on your child at such a young age. I know you must be excited, hoping to make your son share a hobby with you in the future, but 3.5 years old is TOO young.

[quote name='help1']You say you jest, but you bring up a good point. I personally don't believe it is a good time to be pushing video games on your child at such a young age. I know you must be excited, hoping to make your son share a hobby with you in the future, but 3.5 years old is TOO young.[/QUOTE]

Video games can be part of a healthy lifestyle, just like TV or ice cream. Before my son was born, I talked with a coworker, who mentioned a "screen time" limit, which I think is a great idea.

As long as you know what a healthy lifestyle is for yourself and your children (consult your pediatrician), and see to it that it happens, it's alright. My guess at what is happening is that the kiddo is wanting to play with mom or dad (or siblings).

It's very healthy and definitely not excessive

Like you said even the wordt things in life can be part of a good lifestyle if used in moderation and that's a fact of life I try and live by

Anyway thanks for the concern and back to the recommendations!

:)

If your son can handle R&C at 3 1/2 years old then I'd say you've got a video game phenom on your hands. Ride him all the way to the world championship!

My recommendation would be none. There simply is no science that puts gaming or TV into a positive light at that age.

Gaming has been proven to expand memory in certain ways, but it also makes violent behavior, diminished social skills and learning difficulties significantly more likely later.

The conventional wisdom is that the content (violent content/solutions, killing, etc) promotes this behavior, but the more dramatic effect noticed in very young kids (under 5) who aren't exposed to these games, actually points to lost development time socializing, etc, being the issue. In other words, restricting them to non-violent games does NOT avoid the issue.

Look at how Disney has backed away from ALL positive claims they used to make about the 'Baby Einstein' videos. They did this because they couldn't find the science (and they tried). They even pre-emptively offered a full refund on any of those videos that made positive claims.

bread's done
Back