Game Store Owners - Questions!

oldboy26

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hello,

I am currently starting my journey into starting a small business. My main focus will be games and movies. Though this is not final and i will be looking at a lot of various others areas of focus as well. I have a few main questions for current game store owners and resellers.

1. What are the most trust worthy distributors?
2. What are some tips on setting up an ebay store front?
3. What are some things to prepare for and understand before starting up the business?

My main focus at first will be selling online. I understand games have a small profit margin so i want to make sure i'm keeping a close eye on all the small costs that can destroy that profit quickly. I do plan to open a store but I want to get comfortably setting up my brand and building a reputation first.

Thank You!

Not a game store owner but:

Ebay charges a lot for BIN auctions on video games, I just set my auctions at the price I want and wait for that one bidder to bid, much cheaper this way. You can definitely save money by not setting a BIN for everything.

If you are in upstate NY, WNY area, be warned that you will probably fail if you set up a B&M store. It isn't worth your time or money or labor to set up a B&M independent game store. I have seen them come and seen them go, most close within 6 months or less. Moreover the Oogie games independent chain is already here and probably won't be going away any time soon so you will have them, Best Buy, Super Flea and a million Gamestop's to contend with not to mention every other place that sells video games. Its going to be a lot cheaper and less time consuming to keep the business online.

DVD's don't sell for much, people won't even buy them for a dollar each at yard sales here, everyone has netflix or some kind of streaming these days so no one has any interest in DVD's.

If you are looking for other things there are a million non-corporate cell phone stores here, they seem to do well and last much longer than a stand-alone indie game store, though nothing is stopping you from opening up a store that has phones, video games, and dvd's in it.

The majority of sellers probably will not be willing to give you the names of distributors since you will most likely become competition at that point.

I think an online presence is only half of the equation; at some point you're going to need a B&M where the overhead is low and the foot traffic is brisk enough for you to survive (which means you need to study the location and also advertise).

Another major challenge will be the accumulation of quality stock, like say you have one copy of E.V.O. for the SNES that you sell online. Not only are you taking a hit from selling fees and shipping, but you're taking a loss in another way when someone comes into the store looking for E.V.O. and you don't have one. Because of that online sale, you could be missing out on a sale with a better margin or a sweet trade-in.

The problem with one game store that was in a mall here and was pretty popular was that the owner took all of the best stuff and sold It online, leaving a store full of shovel ware and tons and tons of sports games (there were literately shells full of nothing but sports games). This store closed, and for good reason, they couldn't deliver a quality product.

If you have a big collection you will be using that collection to start the store.

You do need a location that actually gets visited by people and as the other poster said a location with lots of foot traffic. Also make sure there is a market in your area for retro games. Over here basically no one cares and people are looking to just sell their old stuff for new stuff. Now this may be good for a store but is also bad, if the customers buys nothing but new product that could be a problem because you will never move any of the old product and you will have a store full of retro games that no one wants. You could sell those retro games online though and make up your profit that way. I know for a fact there are other places in the USA where retro games are huge and where independent game stores thrive. There is something about seeing it on the shelf, purchasing it and taking it home to play right away.

[quote name='oldboy26']Hello,

I am currently starting my journey into starting a small business. My main focus will be games and movies. Though this is not final and i will be looking at a lot of various others areas of focus as well. I have a few main questions for current game store owners and resellers.

3. What are some things to prepare for and understand before starting up the business?

My main focus at first will be selling online. I understand games have a small profit margin so i want to make sure i'm keeping a close eye on all the small costs that can destroy that profit quickly. I do plan to open a store but I want to get comfortably setting up my brand and building a reputation first.

Thank You![/QUOTE]

Hey, I've been doing pretty much the same thing I sell video games, movies, comics and toys I started with just online sales as well as flea markets (flea markets are essential when you're starting I'll get to that later.) Now I'm in 6 different group shops, which are stores that subdivide and rent out space in their store for different sellers. You pay them X (normally between $3 and $6 sq/ft where I am) a month and in turn receive your space as well as the employees processing all your transactions.

Things like group shops and flea markets are great things when you're starting out as a small one-man operation as group shops you can have physical retail locations without tying up your time being there, considerably cheaper, and better for inventory constraints as it is unlikely you'll start off with enough inventory to fill a full store. Flea markets are a great way to meet customers, get information about your business out and even buy merchandise. From my experience most video game sellers either price everything far too high, or price everything the same price.

A seller at the flea market I go to in the winter prices NES games $10 each, SNES and N64 $5, PS1, PS2, Xbox and Gamecube $3 each. I go to her booth before setting up mine every week and grabbed everything worth more than those prices to a.) have desirable inventory for my own booth/ eBay store and b.) leave her void of deals helping customers come to me rather than her. I'm sure that may seem cold/unfair to people but she doesn't take the time to properly research her inventory and if I didn't do it someone else would, its truly a dog eat dog world out there with small businesses struggling and at all the flea markets I go to there are about 5-10 game store owners that do the same thing.

Anyways, onto your actual questions:

1. I would not start out focusing on new games, I have contacted distributors and unless you order a very large quantity you get them for basically retail - with the deals you can get on new releases in various stores/websites for small quantities you can do better buying new games from other stores than a distributor. Used games are where the profit is anyways. Lowest cost I could find for less than 100 copies of a new release game was $49.20/ea.

2. Have a catchy name, logo, etc. Over 15% of all my eBay business (16.2% today) is repeat customers. This was 4.8% before I trademarked a business name, incorporated, had a logo designed etc. and has been steadily climbing since. Repeat customers are the bread and butter of any small business.

3. Prepare yourself. Physically, mentally and financially. Given that an eBay store is a lot less costly than a store you'll still go through slow months, and depending on what your living expenses are one slow month can mess you up for a considerable time if you are not prepared. If you don't have cash in the bank for at least 6 months of living expenses, I would put it the idea on hold until you do. I would not recommend taking out a business loan, unless you're buying and taking over an existing successful game company.

Typically January, February and March are difficult months, April begins to pick up as people get tax returns back. Then May - August while people are out of school things really pick up, then September and October are tough again. November and December are truly where your bread and butter comes from. We're 14 days into November and I have sold more so far this month than twice my combined sales in September and October.

Why I bring this up is budgeting is a challenge that takes considerable restraint. My first priority is always the essential bills (mortgage, health/car/home insurance, internet, cell phone, food, etc.) next is inventory, then unessential bills (TV, Netflix, etc.), then if I have extra money after that I refill my 6 month savings if I had to take money out for any reasons. If there is still money left over after that I try to find ways to expand, purchase more inventory, supplies, etc.

Nowhere is there an allowance for spending money on your self, which isn't to say I don't but I buy takeout or a cheap game and then feel guilty as hell for days afterwards. If you truly want to start a small business you are making the choice to put your business at a higher importance than your lifestyle. Even if you see a pile of money in your bank/safe/mattress wherever you keep it and your friends won't stop talking about the newest games you have to restrain yourself, but luckily this site and what we're about makes this considerably easier.

I get so strict and specific about this because this summer, when I was looking at opening a store after success on eBay/flea markets, a friend said "well if you're having luck with it than I should do it too!" and quit his full time job to sell video games. I gave him most of this advice, but wasn't as stern about the don't spend money on yourself rule. Well he would drop $800 on a lot of CIB NES games, and then pick out every game he didn't have for his collection as well as swap out any that were in better shape than his own. Now 6 months later, he doesn't have money to go looking for new inventory, or gas to go to flea markets to sell his existing inventory. He lists as much as he can (mostly his own collection) on eBay just to pay as much of his bills as he can.

Another important thing to mention is it is in no way a 9-5 40 hour a week job. If I actually took the time to calculate what I make an hour I would probably be back at a regular job. It is very time intensive, especially when you're getting started. When I was first getting serious with it I made a rule for every item I sold I had to list 5 items.

Anyways, that should be enough to give you some ideas. I haven't proofread this and went back and reworded a bunch of it so I apologize if some is rambling/doesn't make sense, etc. Also just so you don't think this is just some random person giving opinions, most of this was taught to me by a local collectibles store that has been around for 20+ years who has been helping me grow and get going, as well as my parents who have been antique dealers for 30+ years and are now one of the largest eBay sellers of 18th and 19th century antiques.

[quote name='ferant316']Hey, I've been doing pretty much the same thing I sell video games, movies, comics and toys I started with just online sales as well as flea markets (flea markets are essential when you're starting I'll get to that later.) Now I'm in 6 different group shops, which are stores that subdivide and rent out space in their store for different sellers. You pay them X (normally between $3 and $6 sq/ft where I am) a month and in turn receive your space as well as the employees processing all your transactions.

Things like group shops and flea markets are great things when you're starting out as a small one-man operation as group shops you can have physical retail locations without tying up your time being there, considerably cheaper, and better for inventory constraints as it is unlikely you'll start off with enough inventory to fill a full store. Flea markets are a great way to meet customers, get information about your business out and even buy merchandise. From my experience most video game sellers either price everything far too high, or price everything the same price.

A seller at the flea market I go to in the winter prices NES games $10 each, SNES and N64 $5, PS1, PS2, Xbox and Gamecube $3 each. I go to her booth before setting up mine every week and grabbed everything worth more than those prices to a.) have desirable inventory for my own booth/ eBay store and b.) leave her void of deals helping customers come to me rather than her. I'm sure that may seem cold/unfair to people but she doesn't take the time to properly research her inventory and if I didn't do it someone else would, its truly a dog eat dog world out there with small businesses struggling and at all the flea markets I go to there are about 5-10 game store owners that do the same thing.

Anyways, onto your actual questions:

1. I would not start out focusing on new games, I have contacted distributors and unless you order a very large quantity you get them for basically retail - with the deals you can get on new releases in various stores/websites for small quantities you can do better buying new games from other stores than a distributor. Used games are where the profit is anyways. Lowest cost I could find for less than 100 copies of a new release game was $49.20/ea.

2. Have a catchy name, logo, etc. Over 15% of all my eBay business (16.2% today) is repeat customers. This was 4.8% before I trademarked a business name, incorporated, had a logo designed etc. and has been steadily climbing since. Repeat customers are the bread and butter of any small business.

3. Prepare yourself. Physically, mentally and financially. Given that an eBay store is a lot less costly than a store you'll still go through slow months, and depending on what your living expenses are one slow month can mess you up for a considerable time if you are not prepared. If you don't have cash in the bank for at least 6 months of living expenses, I would put it the idea on hold until you do. I would not recommend taking out a business loan, unless you're buying and taking over an existing successful game company.

Typically January, February and March are difficult months, April begins to pick up as people get tax returns back. Then May - August while people are out of school things really pick up, then September and October are tough again. November and December are truly where your bread and butter comes from. We're 14 days into November and I have sold more so far this month than twice my combined sales in September and October.

Why I bring this up is budgeting is a challenge that takes considerable restraint. My first priority is always the essential bills (mortgage, health/car/home insurance, internet, cell phone, food, etc.) next is inventory, then unessential bills (TV, Netflix, etc.), then if I have extra money after that I refill my 6 month savings if I had to take money out for any reasons. If there is still money left over after that I try to find ways to expand, purchase more inventory, supplies, etc.

Nowhere is there an allowance for spending money on your self, which isn't to say I don't but I buy takeout or a cheap game and then feel guilty as hell for days afterwards. If you truly want to start a small business you are making the choice to put your business at a higher importance than your lifestyle. Even if you see a pile of money in your bank/safe/mattress wherever you keep it and your friends won't stop talking about the newest games you have to restrain yourself, but luckily this site and what we're about makes this considerably easier.

I get so strict and specific about this because this summer, when I was looking at opening a store after success on eBay/flea markets, a friend said "well if you're having luck with it than I should do it too!" and quit his full time job to sell video games. I gave him most of this advice, but wasn't as stern about the don't spend money on yourself rule. Well he would drop $800 on a lot of CIB NES games, and then pick out every game he didn't have for his collection as well as swap out any that were in better shape than his own. Now 6 months later, he doesn't have money to go looking for new inventory, or gas to go to flea markets to sell his existing inventory. He lists as much as he can (mostly his own collection) on eBay just to pay as much of his bills as he can.

Another important thing to mention is it is in no way a 9-5 40 hour a week job. If I actually took the time to calculate what I make an hour I would probably be back at a regular job. It is very time intensive, especially when you're getting started. When I was first getting serious with it I made a rule for every item I sold I had to list 5 items.

Anyways, that should be enough to give you some ideas. I haven't proofread this and went back and reworded a bunch of it so I apologize if some is rambling/doesn't make sense, etc. Also just so you don't think this is just some random person giving opinions, most of this was taught to me by a local collectibles store that has been around for 20+ years who has been helping me grow and get going, as well as my parents who have been antique dealers for 30+ years and are now one of the largest eBay sellers of 18th and 19th century antiques.[/QUOTE]

What is your pricing scheme? Selling online, eBay and PayPal fees have gotten ridiculous. Do you factor in those fees (and shipping) then price at a certain percentage above that based on what you paid for the item? Or do you just try make a sale so you price at whatever the market is currently going for, even if it means taking a net loss?

[quote name='kodave']What is your pricing scheme? Selling online, eBay and PayPal fees have gotten ridiculous. Do you factor in those fees (and shipping) then price at a certain percentage above that based on what you paid for the item? Or do you just try make a sale so you price at whatever the market is currently going for, even if it means taking a net loss?[/QUOTE]

I price at market value even if it means taking a net loss, though I try to buy smart to avoid taking a loss some of my business relationships require buying everything they offer me so I continue to be the only person they offer items to, while other times it is better to have desirable items to bring people in. Like I've done most of this year's big new releases even at breaking even/loss to bring in new customers and in most cases trades.

I buy A LOT at auctions/yard sales that generally have a huge profit margin that helps make up for when I don't make money.

Well currently I work full time and intend to keep that as a day job while building inventory and gain traction as a seller. I do understand it will take time, and will he fully committed to this but not foolish. I intend to take my time to understand every area before taking the dive fully.

How often do you take advantage of cag deals to resell for your shop? There are so many deals where ive made hundreds in a few days just by simple flips.

[quote name='oldboy26']Hello,

Thank You![/QUOTE]

i stay away from B&M stores and do online only. the days of a B&M video game trading stores are mostly over with unless you live in a very small town. Really i would not advise anyone to really get into the video game market now to open up a business.. its a dying business and would not shock me to see it completely gone in the next 5 -10 years (everything will be downloads).. Hell im probally sitting on close to 2000 to 3000 games going all the way back to NES what is now worthless

if your looking at making a quick buck ya i can say maybe do something online but i think the major days of game trading is a thing of the past..

I mean 10 years ago you could easy say

TRADE GAME A FOR GAME B and charge someone 5 bucks to do the trade and people would been happy

Now today when GAME A could be found in some stores for 4.99 noone is going to trade you a game + 5.00 for a game they can get for 5.00 and that game could be sitting on the shelf for months ( you paid 30 for the game wholesale but you never sold it or traded it and now its retail price is 20 or less and your underwater)

if you have a few thousand you can stand to lose go ahead but i would not put much into it these days

(and new systems are coming in a few years so many will not want PS3 and Xbox 360 games so you will be stuck with major stock)

[quote name='oldboy26']Well currently I work full time and intend to keep that as a day job while building inventory and gain traction as a seller. I do understand it will take time, and will he fully committed to this but not foolish. I intend to take my time to understand every area before taking the dive fully.

How often do you take advantage of cag deals to resell for your shop? There are so many deals where ive made hundreds in a few days just by simple flips.[/QUOTE]

That's the smart way to do it ;) Hopefully I didn't come off as harsh - I just hate seeing people taking the leap too fast when they are not prepared. It is a great feeling answering to no one but yourself (well and bills) and that makes it worth it every day to me.

I do take advantage of CAG deals whenever I can, though I do try to walk the fine line of not being greedy and doing wrong by the community that helps me (and I try to help others on here when I can with deals/info/etc).

Example the most recent Gamefly sale as soon as it went live I ordered 3 copies of each title I could make a profit on, which is more than the average person yes but as far as I know only one of those has went out of stock so it isn't like I was robbing 1,000s of CAGs out of all the good games from the sale. I got enough to make money and fill my inventory while still being able to sleep at night.

On the other hand I bought the clearance video game inventory from 3 different Sears, but that was because they were all going back to the vendor the end of that week so it was unlikely any CAG was going to get them at that point if they hadn't already.

Also be prepared for customers to try to rip you off if you sell on EBay. EBay and paypal will side with the buyer in a dispute, even when the buyer is lying his a$$ off.

Generally speaking, I would say it is a bad time to try to get into the video game selling business except as a hobby.

[quote name='spatenfloot']Also be prepared for customers to try to rip you off if you sell on EBay. EBay and paypal will side with the buyer in a dispute, even when the buyer is lying his a$$ off.

Generally speaking, I would say it is a bad time to try to get into the video game selling business except as a hobby.[/QUOTE]

Customers can rip you off no matter how you sell to them. Honestly i've always followed the steps to prevent rip offs and i've always won my cases(about 4 or 5 total from hundreds of orders) but i know i won't always be able to prevent it.

Thank You everyone for the advice, and keep it coming if anyone has more experience and knowledge to share!!

bread's done
Back