Game stores in Toronto

xezekielx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I'm going to Toronto next weekend and I was looking for the best stores to buy video games, either old school or current-gen. Recommendations for comic book and figurine stores, movies (foreign, horror, etc.) as well as other places for nerds are also welcome.

Thanks!

[quote name='xezekielx']I'm going to Toronto next weekend and I was looking for the best stores to buy video games, either old school or current-gen. Recommendations for comic book and figurine stores, movies (foreign, horror, etc.) as well as other places for nerds are also welcome.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

The place the other person mentioned was 1,000,000 Comix which is near Wellesley. It's a pretty good place, though I'd say The Beguiling is better if you're looking for comics specifically. Silver Snail is pretty good if you're looking for toys.

Movies can be found pretty much everywhere, so I can't think of any specific place to look for them. If condition doesn't matter, BMV is a good place to get cheap used ones.

It depends where you'll be staying too. Video Games Plus might be a decent store, but it's quite far out of the way. I'll stick mainly to the downtown core with this;

Game Centre
, Yonge and Charles. This is the best store for current generation items at a discount. They have older titles too, going back to the occasional Game and Watch, and Atari 2600 title, but their prices are not quite as good as they once were for new stuff. They do have a large collection of movies, television shows, Bluray, and even some HDDVDs.

A&C Games, Spadina and Bloor. This on the other hand is the best import shop in the city. Prices can be a little high, but haggling is expected in some cases. Consider the amount you'll save on shipping, and trying to find half this stuff mint in box. Service is nice.. although store is cramped. Check out their list of titles online, and inquire about it when you're there.. because it's likely you'll have a tough time going through all the games on the shelves. http://www.acgamesonline.com/

Stay away from.. Gamerama, Yonge and Eglinton. I hate this place with a vengence, but if you're looking for a couple specific titles, they might have it. Haggling is okay here, but generally the kids that they leaving runing the place are rude, ignore customers, and generally try to take people for all they're worth with trade-ins. Store is frequently messy too, with pizza boxes, candy wrappers, and other merchendise covering the counters. Visit at your own risk. One key point is Gamerama usually sells titles upon arrival (ie, early).

Games 401, Yonge and Gerrad. This is a good shop for toys, and cards. Staff is generally very friendly, and they carry a good amount of Mighty Muggs, action figures, Nintendo-specific toys, and others. Pokemon, Magic, Warhammer, and the usual games apply too. http://www.401games.ca/

As others have mentioned, Silver Nail is a good toy and comic shop. There are a plethora of them up and down Yonge St.. many of them carrying minor colletions of toys. Pawn shops are all around the city too, and frequently carry games on the cheap.

Good luck, and enjoy your time in the city!

Wow, thanks for the list EvilMario. I'll actually be staying near York University (Keele Campus) but I was expecting most store to be downtown.

Might have to check A&C for Invizimals, hahah. Their list was last updated well before the game came out in other regions so I think I'll shoot them a email, or a phone call.

Has anyone been to Toyratt over by the airport? I've seen the videos on YouTube and was wondering what the retro game prices were like.

[quote name='EvilMario']It depends where you'll be staying too. Video Games Plus might be a decent store, but it's quite far out of the way. I'll stick mainly to the downtown core with this;

Game Centre
, Yonge and Charles. This is the best store for current generation items at a discount. They have older titles too, going back to the occasional Game and Watch, and Atari 2600 title, but their prices are not quite as good as they once were for new stuff. They do have a large collection of movies, television shows, Bluray, and even some HDDVDs.

A&C Games, Spadina and Bloor. This on the other hand is the best import shop in the city. Prices can be a little high, but haggling is expected in some cases. Consider the amount you'll save on shipping, and trying to find half this stuff mint in box. Service is nice.. although store is cramped. Check out their list of titles online, and inquire about it when you're there.. because it's likely you'll have a tough time going through all the games on the shelves. http://www.acgamesonline.com/

Stay away from.. Gamerama, Yonge and Eglinton. I hate this place with a vengence, but if you're looking for a couple specific titles, they might have it. Haggling is okay here, but generally the kids that they leaving runing the place are rude, ignore customers, and generally try to take people for all they're worth with trade-ins. Store is frequently messy too, with pizza boxes, candy wrappers, and other merchendise covering the counters. Visit at your own risk. One key point is Gamerama usually sells titles upon arrival (ie, early).

Games 401, Yonge and Gerrad. This is a good shop for toys, and cards. Staff is generally very friendly, and they carry a good amount of Mighty Muggs, action figures, Nintendo-specific toys, and others. Pokemon, Magic, Warhammer, and the usual games apply too. http://www.401games.ca/

As others have mentioned, Silver Nail is a good toy and comic shop. There are a plethora of them up and down Yonge St.. many of them carrying minor colletions of toys. Pawn shops are all around the city too, and frequently carry games on the cheap.

Good luck, and enjoy your time in the city![/QUOTE]

i TOTALLY agree about Gamerama..

for some reason they were selling Guitar Hero 3 for $140 when it first came out... almost double its selling price if im correct?

only other store on this list that ive been to is game center.

They had No More Heroes when no other store in Toronto had it. Good stuff if i say so myself

bread's done
Back