Game Testing Experience

willynateDgreat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
Hey guys,

I thought a few of you may be interested in hearing about my experience doing some video game market research for Chamberlain Research.

http://www.chamberlainresearch.com/games/

I live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and signed up for this several months ago. At the beginning of April, I finally got a call to come down and play test a game that's coming out later this year. I did sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement), so I can't actually share too much about the game that I played, but I can share a little bit about the experience overall. BTW, this IS a longer post.

There were only four people in the group that I was with. I was by far the oldest (at 31). The rest of the crew were teenagers. After hanging out in the lobby for awhile, we were lead into a room with 6 TVs/PCs. Each of the TVs were hooked up to developer kits for the Wii, PS3 and 360 (developer kits mean BIG $$$).

After an introduction from the moderator, we were given a description of the game (imagine it to be like the box blurb) and asked to fill out an online survey that asked if we'd buy the game based on it's description.

Before getting into the game, we were told we should "think aloud" while we were playing - expressing our thoughts and frustrations, things we noticed and ideas we had while playing. The moderator said he was no way involved with the making of the game and that we wouldn't hurt his feelings with our criticisms.

From there, we jumped into the single player and got to play for about 30 minutes. Again, I can't share anything about the game at all (sorry). I did try to share some thoughts and did rip into a few sections that weren't working very well. The moderator took notes on a pad of all the different player suggestions/emotions during this time.

After the 30 minutes were up, we completed another online survey and prepared for multi-player. The game crashed a few times (which is normal during these sessions apparently), but then we were up and running. The multi-player was fun, and I found myself wishing for more playtime.

But, time ran out and we filled out one last survey. Each of the surveys asked us about different aspects of the game (graphics, what we liked the most/least) depending on what we had played. After the last survey was completed, we got to choose two new games to bring home as "payment". Not bad for an 1 1/2 hours of "work".

I'd definitely try this again sometime . . . if you live in the Mpls/St. Paul area - give it a shot. It was pretty darned fun.

well, which two games did you choose?

I had a good experience before as well; just not done for a living. It was a focus group for Star Wars Battlefront I. One of my contributions was: WTF, how many rockets does it take to down this AT-AT? (after unloading nearly 6 - 8 direct rounds)

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I do this for a living.

It is not fun at all.[/QUOTE]

Yea - I don't think I'd like to do it for a living . . . Too frustrating to always be playing bad or at least not-quite-done games.

To answer the other question, the site is down in Eden Prairie out in an office park.

Thanks for the info. I live in St. Francis but work in Minnetonka, so this would be perfect. I used to do market research when I was little, so I kinda know how it works.

It would be cool to play games ahead of time and give opinions on new games.

Was there a large number of games you could choose from? Do they ever pay cash?

[quote name='willynateDgreat']To answer the other question - I picked up MW2 and Prototype (which I already traded).[/QUOTE]

So I am guessing you tested a game by Activision. I am also guessing that its Transformers: War for Cybertron.

There were titles for each platform and about 7-8 for each to choose from . . .

And, no, the game wasn't Transformers . . . though that would have been cool.

bread's done
Back