Game Trade In Values

You should already know, if its a newer game, trade it in at Game Crazy or Game Rush. If its an older game and GS is actually giving out more credit than Game Crazy/Rush then its probably sorta rare and you should sell it online anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Great VIDEO GAME DEAL by the way, in for 3!

[quote name='freshzen']You should already know, if its a newer game, trade it in at Game Crazy or Game Rush. If its an older game and GS is actually giving out more credit than Game Crazy/Rush then its probably sorta rare and you should sell it online anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Great VIDEO GAME DEAL by the way, in for 3![/quote]

There are no Game Crazy or Game Rushes near me

[quote name='grecianfox']You can call stores or check the cag wiki. This is not the right place for this question.[/quote]

where is?

Never really been into trading before.

Chronis's foolproof way of roughly finding out trade in values at Gamestop.

The base value is HALF of what they will sell it for. If it's a BRAND SPANKIN NEW GAME, the base will be half of the new value. If it's a couple of months old, you get a base of half the used value. Now then, the actual value they give you will drop for all the copies a store has. So you can check the instore locator for used copies of games on the website to find out which store has no copies of the game you want to trade.

And time for examples! Let's use Madden 08. It's new on the 360/PS3. If you trade in a copy and they have none used, you will get $30. Sometimes you might also get the $30 if they have very few copies and it's been selling enough for them to want more. But lets say that it isn't selling great. They have 2 copies used, so instead of $30, you get $25-28. See? Now we move ahead 5 months. You trade it in and they have no copies. It's not "new" anymore, despite selling new for $60. So now you'll get about $25-28. And for the copies they have, you'll get less and less.

This is why some games have dirt cheap trade in values. the Jet Set/Sega GT 2001 XBox promo only goes for about $0.50 because they have so many. And because they have so many that aren't being bought, the selling price drops down even more. Hope this helps some!

I find that some older games have 1/3 or even 1/4 trade in value to used price. I remember trading in 1+ year old games that were selling at $29.99 used and I would only get $10. Most recently, I got a $5 trade in value for a $19.99 used game. So aim a little lower on older games.

New games, follow Chronis, 1/2 seems around right.

If you have any FYE/Coconuts/Sam Goody stores in your area, you can use Secondspin.com's trade value pricing tool to determine your trade value.

It's been pretty spot on for trade values @ FYE for me. Though, if the game you're trying to trade doesn't come up, chances are it trades in for $1.00 or less, so you'd be better off holding onto the game(s) or waiting for a decent GS trade deal to swap them in.

God, I miss the days of EB Games 'trade 3 games get 1 new one free' deals.

Oh and as for the no Gamerush thing, SOME Blockbuster stores WILL take in used games to sell in their own stores, but that's a huge YMMV(your mileage may vary) right there.

I'm just lucky the one down the hill from me takes in games, as it gives me a THIRD option beyond FYE or the local game shops. Gamestop is ALWAYS the LAST RESORT for me.

Never take anything to trade at those stores. They rip you off big time. Sell it on ebay or on a game forum.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If you have any FYE/Coconuts/Sam Goody stores in your area, you can use Secondspin.com's trade value pricing tool to determine your trade value.

It's been pretty spot on for trade values @ FYE for me. Though, if the game you're trying to trade doesn't come up, chances are it trades in for $1.00 or less, so you'd be better off holding onto the game(s) or waiting for a decent GS trade deal to swap them in.

God, I miss the days of EB Games 'trade 3 games get 1 new one free' deals.

Oh and as for the no Gamerush thing, SOME Blockbuster stores WILL take in used games to sell in their own stores, but that's a huge YMMV(your mileage may vary) right there.

I'm just lucky the one down the hill from me takes in games, as it gives me a THIRD option beyond FYE or the local game shops. Gamestop is ALWAYS the LAST RESORT for me.[/quote]

How did the Trade 3 get it free at eb work? What games worked and what was the free game you can get? When did it end? Can anyone explain?

[quote name='joey791']Is there a place to find various trade in values without having to go to every store?[/quote]

I would really consider trading at a place such as this or ebaying your stuff. Even with fees or just shipping costs when you trade a game here on CAG, you're still getting a better deal than at a pawn shop or game store.

[quote name='gamer602']How did the Trade 3 get it free at eb work? What games worked and what was the free game you can get? When did it end? Can anyone explain?[/quote]

That was actually a super old promo that EB Games did before merging/getting bought out by Gamestop. They did it back in the PS1 era though, so it hasn't been around for a LONG, LONG time unfortunately.

And, just like the FYE trade x and get y game for free deal about 4 months ago(I think), you always tried to find the cheapest games to trade in that they still took.

I know the one time, they gave me Final Fantasy IX and the guide for it(counted an extra game as full credit for the guide I think) for the price of 4 games I got for $5 each. Not a bad deal, as far as EB was concerned and way better than ANYTHING Gamestop has ever offered, aside from the trade 3 get $10 extra deal, which was great if you had games you only paid $1 for in the first place.

But, after listing fees and selling fees and other extraneous bs from Ebay, what's left? Plus, look at the convenience factor in that reasoning.

With stores, you walk in, they tell you their value for your stuff, some offer cash or credit(cash being less) and you decide if you wanna sell them or not.

With Ebay, you list the item(s) and if you don't put in a reserve, you are legally bound to sell the item or risk a negative mark against you, correct?

So, which is better, paying lotsa fees on Ebay and risking not getting what you might want for the items or walking into a store and saying yes or no to selling them there?

Also, don't forget that with Ebay, you will have to SHIP the item(s) to people and risk them saying 'I never got it' and ending up OUT of your money AND your item(s). So, which is the SAFER bet from that perspective?

I thought so. Of course, I'd still tell people to avoid Gamestop at all costs and just trade to FYE or Gamecrazy or Gamerush.

so with that logic, what would you do if you had a Complete Monopoly,boggle, yahtzee DS game, trade it in to GS for $12 or sell it on ebay for $40-55 + shipping

ebay is good for the more expensive/rare games since GS or the other places give you crap for them...i personally have had about 2-3 problems on ebay in my 8 years of dealing on there with over 1500 transactions...sure its gotten worse but it only takes a little research and common sense to avoid getting burned

[quote name='Jedi1979']so with that logic, what would you do if you had a Complete Monopoly,boggle, yahtzee DS game, trade it in to GS for $12 or sell it on ebay for $40-55 + shipping

ebay is good for the more expensive/rare games since GS or the other places give you crap for them...i personally have had about 2-3 problems on ebay in my 8 years of dealing on there with over 1500 transactions...sure its gotten worse but it only takes a little research and common sense to avoid getting burned[/quote]

Well, as I said, NEVER trade/sell your stuff to GS, since they're usually a total fuckin ripoff. But, compared with having Ebay eat a chunk of what I could get by trying other methods to sell my items FIRST, I'd rather try the other options first and THEN try Ebay finally.

Mind you though, I rarely if ever sell or trade my games anymore, so I needn't even worry about such things most times.

bread's done
Back