Gamecrazy Anti-GameStop Promos???

defmonkey05

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
So, I walk into my local GC, which I'm very familiar and friendly with the higher staff. And they told me their promo's for the GS across the street And here's 2 of the 3 that I remember. Not sure if this is Nationwide, this weekend only or what. So you have to check in with your own stores.

Here's what I remember...

1. If you have a preorder with GS, you can Cancel it. Take the receipt into GC with proof of canceling. Then preorder it there and get 5 bucks off.

2. Now, I think I got some of this jumbled. You can take you GS card, they can cut it up.... Maybe even set it on fire for ya and you can get 20% off any game... Now it could be used only.

And the 3rd one I can't even remember, because it didn't sound that good.

But check you GC's this weekend. Maybe they're having it too.

Mine is Wooster, OH. ;)

i wish someone would unseat them. even though we'd likely end up hating the replacement just as much, the shift in market dominance would take time and in the interim is when we'd benefit.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, the $5 off a pre-order is pretty good, but the 20% off for destroying your EDGE card is stupid.[/QUOTE]

dont really know. Do they check the back of the cards. I probally got 4 or 5 old edge cards from years ago that have expired. Then again i got 4 20% off used game from the entertainment books i never used yet

[quote name='defmonkey05']So, I walk into my local GC, which I'm very familiar and friendly with the higher staff. And they told me their promo's for the GS across the street And here's 2 of the 3 that I remember. Not sure if this is Nationwide, this weekend only or what. So you have to check in with your own stores.

Here's what I remember...

1. If you have a preorder with GS, you can Cancel it. Take the receipt into GC with proof of canceling. Then preorder it there and get 5 bucks off.

2. Now, I think I got some of this jumbled. You can take you GS card, they can cut it up.... Maybe even set it on fire for ya and you can get 20% off any game... Now it could be used only.

And the 3rd one I can't even remember, because it didn't sound that good.

But check you GC's this weekend. Maybe they're having it too.

Mine is Wooster, OH. ;)[/quote]

I've been to that Gamecrazy. The manager there is pretty anti-gamestop so this doesn't surprise me. This should be marked YMMV considering I know the manager.

:twoguns: gamestop
^gamecrazy
[quote name='Sooku']Just use an expired Edge card.[/quote]
i mighty try that since mine is expired :lol:

It's $5 off something if you cut up an Edge card around here. 30% more in trades if the game you're trading in has a GS sticker on it. The preorder thing is also true.

[quote name='Scorch']It's $5 off something if you cut up an Edge card around here. 30% more in trades if the game you're trading in has a GS sticker on it. The preorder thing is also true.[/quote] Can I just stick a random GS sticker on it or does it have to be the right sticker, and does the edge card have to be current or can it be old?

[quote name='Scorch']It's $5 off something if you cut up an Edge card around here. 30% more in trades if the game you're trading in has a GS sticker on it. The preorder thing is also true.[/QUOTE]

WTF!? :lol:

They don't do anything like that at the Gamecrazy's around here. I wish they would.

Wow, I never even heard of these promos, I doubt they exist around here. But I suppose it doesnt hurt to ask, my edge card expires next month so why not >_>

[quote name='darkslime']Can I just stick a random GS sticker on it or does it have to be the right sticker, and does the edge card have to be current or can it be old?[/quote]

at my store it has to be the right sticker.. Edge card must either be active or recently expired.. another thing i've heard a local store is doing for midnight launches is if you can successfully go and pull another friend out of a GS launch line and have that friend bring their receipt proving they PO'ed it at GS, you and your friend both get $5 off the game IN ADDITION TO their preorder $5 (if they PO'ed it with GameCrazy) and 30% more on any trade they brought in..

It's a fun little set of promotions. It seems to be pretty wildly YMMV at this point, but there are certain regions where these are active.

[quote name='darkslime']That's awesome. I'm gonna look in the GS dumpster for some edge cards, and bring 'em there, and get $5 off fable 2.[/quote]

While you're in there, search for some dumpstered guides and promo items they didn't give away. On the one site I used to go to, someone found a 42" plasma by dd'ing at Circuit City. It had a cut cord and needed a bit of other repairs, but for about $200 worth of repairs they got a $1500+ tv working.

As for me, I've heard of these promos before. I believe the clerks at the only local GC(30 miles away)told me about them the last time I was there.

I'm sure that if it didn't have to be an actual active or recently active EDGE card, people would find a way to abuse the ever-loving shit of such a promotion. Considering that the EDGE cards clearly have the expiration date printed on them, I am fairly certain the store would check if the card was good or if it was actually ever even active.

[quote name='Scorch']It's $5 off something if you cut up an Edge card around here. 30% more in trades if the game you're trading in has a GS sticker on it. The preorder thing is also true.[/quote]
so i guess NOW its alright to have those damn stickers.

The only thing that bugs me about GameCrazy is that I can't search for games online and check prices and so forth.

I know it probably has to do with them having old POS systems from like Hollywood Video but I would and I'm sure a lot more of you guys would shop there if they had a real website.

Oh and they don't give you trade-in prices over the phone.

[quote name='cdrober']YEAH! fuck GAMESTOP!!!

I approve of these tactics ;)[/quote]

LOL I agree

Gamestop is too expensive anyway. I can get some of the same games that are at Gamestop for half the price at GameCrazy :T

I got an ad in the paper for GC that has some generic coupons that are crap, and the coupon that if you trade in something with a competitor's sticker on it you get 30% extra TIV. I'm going to abuse the shit out of this.

[quote name='yukine']Oh and they don't give you trade-in prices over the phone.[/quote]

Again, YMMV. I have no problem giving prices over the phone.

Huh, so its popped up elsewhere, eh? I can add my own experience to the hat, in which a couple of years ago the guys at my local GameCrazy took my card and had a grand ol' time cutting the heck out of it, and then proceeded to offer me a free used game (the catch there was it was restricted to games less than $15.)

Now, I neither know if this was an orthodox action on their part, as far as proper handling goes, nor if this was something done regularly by them, but I like to think that they were just awesome guys. (Hell of a good bunch of folks to talk to, though. Nice guys.)

This took place in the Cudahy, WI store, for the curious. Under the Stevens reign, before the dark times of the Campbell, and his horde of dark minions. (Ah, exaggeration, so fun.)

I always got this creepy feeling entering a gamestop, I've only ever been to one Game Crazy when visiting a friend in Hagerstown but I liked the store and their prices a hell of a lot more then my locla Game stop.

If only we had a Game Crazy near DC.

This would be nice except for the fact that there are no gamecrazy stores left near me and the ones we had before they closed were even worse than gamestop...

[quote name='probablysober']I always got this creepy feeling entering a gamestop, I've only ever been to one Game Crazy when visiting a friend in Hagerstown but I liked the store and their prices a hell of a lot more then my locla Game stop.

If only we had a Game Crazy near DC.[/quote]
Im in dc the GC i go to is in hyattsville,md right outside the dc line

[quote name='probablysober']I always got this creepy feeling entering a gamestop, I've only ever been to one Game Crazy when visiting a friend in Hagerstown but I liked the store and their prices a hell of a lot more then my locla Game stop.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, man, except for the closest GC to me which is great (they always price match trade-ins from Blockbuster which is awesome), nearly all the others around here creep me out way more than GS. They get some freaky people working in them for whatever reason. Plus one of them went to the "all gutted all the time" model where every one of their new games is a gutted display case. Needless to say they've lost my business. Fortunately the rest still do the "new games behind the counter" thing. But I fear this newly remodeled one is the wave of the future... Most of the other stores weasel out of their price match policy (on both trade-ins and ad price matching) for one reason or another (usually they claim to have no knowledge of such a thing but other times they use rather creative excuses).

Plus they aren't running any of these promos around here ;). As for pricing, I've found that while they used to give decent trade-in values they seem to have gotten worse than GS. I haven't compared sales prices so much, but if they really are cheaper than GS that might explain the TIVs. I know I can price match those but it is a hassle when it is only a few $ (plus you need a receipt which you can't get from GS unless you trade the game - catch 22 there...). But GS with the recent rash of coupons has been a much better place to buy stuff as well. Combine that with the recent trade-in promos and, well, I haven't had much reason to go to GC recently.

On the flip side, I did get my Tales of Vesperia SE there, which no one else seems to carry. My fav GC held that one for me so that's cool.

[quote name='probablysober']If only we had a Game Crazy near DC.[/quote]
Yeah, I think there's a few there. I went to one in N VA a year ago or so. I don't know if it was one of the ones that closed or not in that last round of cuts, but it was right in the DC area, inside the beltway even.

bread's done
Back