GameCrazy "At Cost" Policy?

uglyteradon

CAGiversary!
Does anybody know anything about the GameCrazy policy about purchasing games at cost of what the company pays for them? Basically, if you pre-order a game and it doesn't arrive in that store on the scheduled release date but arrives in other stores then you are supposed to be able to buy that product "at cost."

I don't have my manual anymore but I'm getting the runaround right now because they don't want to honor it. So I was wondering if anybody was aware or had any other information on this policy. I would appreciate it, thanks.

Basically, if you pre-order a game and it doesn't arrive in that store on the scheduled release date but arrives in other stores then you are supposed to be able to buy that product "at cost."
I've never heard anything of the sort. If I get a customer that gets really pissed off, I may offer 10% off, but i've never heard of anything "at cost". There's no coupon to scan for that, nothing showing what the company paid for it. The manuals have been changed around a lot, maybe they stopped offering it?

in GameCrazy's POS most SKUs will show the retailer cost in the detail screen. F7 or something. I used to entertain myself on slow days looking up items and their at cost price.

I'm betting its less than that one crapty site was claiming retailers pay for games.

Who was that warehouse.com or something? I'm thinking its around $30-40, and not the $50+ they were basically trying to claim they had to spend on the games.

edit: if that one truewitness guy can sell new releases for $39 and now $44 shipped I'm thinking its gotta be around $25-35 depending on shipping. Also guessing that warehouse.com site was including employee labor in their costs.

I got Soul Calibur 2 at cost back when it first came out since it came in late. It must be a really old policy, since I never saw it anywhere when I worked there.

[quote name='freshzen']I'm betting its less than that one crapty site was claiming retailers pay for games.

Who was that warehouse.com or something? I'm thinking its around $30-40, and not the $50+ they were basically trying to claim they had to spend on the games.

edit: if that one truewitness guy can sell new releases for $39 and now $44 shipped I'm thinking its gotta be around $25-35 depending on shipping. Also guessing that warehouse.com site was including employee labor in their costs.[/QUOTE]

You're really underestimating the wholesale price of videogames.

A friend of mine who works at Best Buy (cost +5%) gets essentially no discount on new games or movies. The MSRP markup tends to be right around 5%. He's actually stated that there were times when his employee discount turned out to be more than the MSRP, meaning below a 5% margin.

Typically, profit margins are determined by how much overhead an item requires. That's why furniture profit margins are ~500% and laptop profit margins are ~3%.

When I worked at Staples we had a little RF gun for doing inventory that told you the wholesale price, retail price and profit margin for any item you scan. It was fun to play with. Ream of paper costing 50 cents and retailing for $5.00... a laptop costing $925 and retailing for $999 with a $200 rebate... software retailing for $500 and costing $450... computer chair costing $12.50 and retailing for $75...

Other Deals & Requests Post and request deals that are NOT video game related. Magazine deals and contests belong here too.

I never heard of that, but when I worked at CompUSA, our employee discount was the ability to get items at cost, and I never bought games there because the at-cost price on a $50 Wii game was $45.

bread's done
Back