Gamecube component cable $4.99 used in-store, visibility of in-store at gamestop.com!

[quote name='LilPaintballer']dont you need a certain port on the gc for this, my gc has one but not all gc's do.[/quote]

the newer gamecube models don't have the component output

[quote name='hollowfreak']... and neither does the N64.[/quote]

figures PS1 and saturn days along with N64 they only used S-video, since there is no picture but it's pretty easy to tell if you come across one with RGB ends

[quote name='CaoPi']figures PS1 and saturn days along with N64 they only used S-video[/quote]
Don't forget Dreamcast, although the highest it had was VGA.

Yea. The GC component cables sell for crazy on eBay. My dad managed to hit the 2 hour window they were available from Nintendo's online store a few years ago.

I'm glad that 480p games on the Gamecube work in 480p on the Wii, using a cheep Wii component cable you can get for a few bucks from Hong Kong. The GC component cable had a bunch of hardware built into the cable, so nobody could make a cheep knockoff.

These cables are an exceedingly rare find at EB/GS. Especially since the average EB/GS employee knows they can ebay them for a tidy profit. Good luck finding a set showing up in stock and doubly so finding them actually available when you get to the B&M store.

Having said that, these cables are a major improvement to the GC - well worth the $50 on ebay and a no-brainer if you find them for $5.

I had an ebgames employee tell me component cables weren't available for the Wii, since the Wii cannot do HD.

I tried to explain that progressive scan is only possible through the Wii component cables, but he had no idea what I was talking about.

Ahhhh, ebgames. I love your employees. ;)

[quote name='Venkman']I had an ebgames employee tell me component cables weren't available for the Wii, since the Wii cannot do HD.

I tried to explain that progressive scan is only possible through the Wii component cables, but he had no idea what I was talking about.

Ahhhh, ebgames. I love your employees. ;)[/quote]

Well technically the Wii doesn't do "HD", it can only do "ED".

FYI, these are getting less difficult to find at Gamestop, at least going by my own experience. I've found 3 of them in recent times. Two from one gamestop (on two different occasions, if I recall correctly, one week apart) and one at another gamestop. In only one case did I consult the website for availability and specifically went looking for it (I did that on another occasion only to not find one at that location). I just make it a habit of scouring the used accessories sections each time I go to a GS. Unfortunately (for others) none of mine are for trade/sale. One went to my nephews and I'm keeping two. Point is that it's worth looking, and if you are at a GS definitely root through the used accessories and see what you find.

EDIT: Oh, and if your GS divides accessories by platform, be sure to look in all the platforms' used accessories, because I often see stuff in the wrong areas. That shouldn't be a shock.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='deathscythehe']The title should be updated, as the OP even contradicts this, saying it's not available online. This is B&M only.[/quote]Tried to clear it up with a revised OP title.

There's some 20 miles away from me. Worth the trip?
Also, will these work with SNES like the AV cable that works with all 3 systems?

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']The all-in-one style cables always deliver an inferior picture to the genuine dedicated 1st party cables.[/QUOTE]

There are no 3rd party Component cables for the Gamecube. And honestly I've found little difference in picture quality from first and third party cables, I have a PS2/Xbox combo cable that I use for my PS3 and I can't tell much difference between that and an HDMI cable (although it's only a 32" 720p screen). The difference between cable quality at 480i/480p will be even less substantial.

[quote name='darkslime']There's some 20 miles away from me. Worth the trip?
Also, will these work with SNES like the AV cable that works with all 3 systems?[/QUOTE]

No...the Gamecube component cable is completely specific to the Gamecube since they had a really funky proprietary method for it.

[quote name='Edge']There are no 3rd party Component cables for the Gamecube. And honestly I've found little difference in picture quality from first and third party cables, I have a PS2/Xbox combo cable that I use for my PS3 and I can't tell much difference between that and an HDMI cable (although it's only a 32" 720p screen). The difference between cable quality at 480i/480p will be even less substantial.

No...the Gamecube component cable is completely specific to the Gamecube since they had a really funky proprietary method for it.[/quote]I've seen a component cable for sale that has plugs for GC, PS2(and PS3 of course) and either xbox1 or 360. They are always pushed on me when I ask about the official nintendo component cable at GS. Think I also saw them at Walmart.

Anyways, supposedly one is in stock at a store nearby. Here's hoping it's true.

[quote name='jdawgg76']I've seen a component cable for sale that has plugs for GC, PS2(and PS3 of course) and either xbox1 or 360. They are always pushed on me when I ask about the official nintendo component cable at GS. Think I also saw them at Walmart.[/QUOTE]

No you didn't. Trust me - there were no commercially manufactured/sold Component Cables for the GameCube aside from the official Nintendo branded cables.

Go ahead - prove me wrong - find me some online (heck, I'd be thankful).

The Gamecube component cable is more than just a regular cable that passes a signal to the TV. If you check Google images or something, you'll notice the end that plugs into the Cube itself is a huge chunk of plastic; contained within that is an actual processing chip which decodes a SCART signal output from the Gamecube and then allows the TV to receive a useable RGB signal.

I imagine this upped production costs some and was proprietary to Nintendo, who discontinued the component cable long before the Cube itself was discontinued. That's why Madcatz/Psyclone/etc. never bothered to try and make a knockoff; it's a lot more complicated than encasing some wires in a bit of plastic.

I was looking for one of these about 3 years ago. Now since I own the Wii I don't think I will bite on this one. I am tempted only because I could hook up my GC to my SDTV as something extra I can play old GC games on.

[quote name='darkslime']There's some 20 miles away from me. Worth the trip?
Also, will these work with SNES like the AV cable that works with all 3 systems?[/quote]

The SNES was in HD? :lol:

[quote name='thelazyone22']The Gamecube component cable is more than just a regular cable that passes a signal to the TV. If you check Google images or something, you'll notice the end that plugs into the Cube itself is a huge chunk of plastic; contained within that is an actual processing chip which decodes a SCART signal output from the Gamecube and then allows the TV to receive a useable RGB signal.

I imagine this upped production costs some and was proprietary to Nintendo, who discontinued the component cable long before the Cube itself was discontinued. That's why Madcatz/Psyclone/etc. never bothered to try and make a knockoff; it's a lot more complicated than encasing some wires in a bit of plastic.[/QUOTE]

What he said. To cut initial costs on the GameCube, Nintendo left the chip out of the GameCube that allows it to send the Pro-Scan signals. Since, as they figured, no one had HD-TVs to use it with, why charge everyone for the feature? They put the chip in the cable (thus the high cost of the cables when they were first released - $50) and why there's no 3rd party cables. The number of people with (compatible) Game Cubes + the number of people with HD Displays + the number of people who didn't already buy the Nintendo cables, added to the cost of making/selling the cables just didn't make a good business decision.

It is amazing how people still can't tell the difference between component and composite. This is why there are so many false positives.

[quote name='jdawgg76']I've seen a component cable for sale that has plugs for GC, PS2(and PS3 of course) and either xbox1 or 360. They are always pushed on me when I ask about the official nintendo component cable at GS. Think I also saw them at Walmart[/QUOTE]

I believe the cable you saw was the one that has both s-video and component and is universal. The catch is that for the Gamecube you can only use the s-video connector. It only provides s-video to all the platforms and component to all but the Gamecube.

[quote name='crunchewy']I believe the cable you saw was the one that has both s-video and component and is universal. The catch is that for the Gamecube you can only use the s-video connector. It only provides s-video to all the platforms and component to all but the Gamecube.[/QUOTE]

which is ridiculous imo...how hard was it to make the gamecube version component...jeez

question. If i use component cables on the wii and play a gamecube game versus the same game played on a gamecube with this specific made for gamecube by nintendo component cable will there be a difference?

[quote name='sparklecopy']question. If i use component cables on the wii and play a gamecube game versus the same game played on a gamecube with this specific made for gamecube by nintendo component cable will there be a difference?[/QUOTE]

Nope. The only reason to get GCN Component cables is if you:
A.) Don't have a Wii
B.) Have a modified GameCube/want to use an AR/Freeloader
C.) Want to use Pro-Scan on the GameBoy Player (*all* Game Boy Games support this mode).
D.) You' still keep your GCN around for some other reason (Mario Kart LAN, use it in another room, etc...)
E.) You're a crazy collector-type.

[quote name='UncleBob']Nope. The only reason to get GCN Component cables is if you:
A.) Don't have a Wii
B.) Have a modified GameCube/want to use an AR/Freeloader
C.) Want to use Pro-Scan on the GameBoy Player (*all* Game Boy Games support this mode).
D.) You' still keep your GCN around for some other reason (Mario Kart LAN, use it in another room, etc...)
E.) You're a crazy collector-type.[/QUOTE]

I choose C as the best reason for the GCN Components.

[quote name='sparklecopy']question. If i use component cables on the wii and play a gamecube game versus the same game played on a gamecube with this specific made for gamecube by nintendo component cable will there be a difference?[/QUOTE]
No difference. I've used both and was just playing some progressive scan Gamecube games on my Wii a few days ago. Trust me; you can pick up Wii component cables CHEEP online.

The ONE cool thing w/ doing GC games Progressive Scan on the Wii over the Gamecube is that if your Wii is set to Progressive Scan, you don't have to hold in "B" on the controller as you boot to swap the game into Progressive Scan. (But you still have to select it from the game's double-checking-with-you popup menu.)

[quote name='crunchewy']I believe the cable you saw was the one that has both s-video and component and is universal. The catch is that for the Gamecube you can only use the s-video connector. It only provides s-video to all the platforms and component to all but the Gamecube.[/quote]That could be. I don't pay attention to a multi platform cables, but the GS employees always insist that the cable in question does do component hookup for the GC. Not that I put any faith in that compared to those here who seem to be more knowledgeable on the matter.

Do GBA games really look any better in proscan?

[quote name='emperordahc']No difference. I've used both and was just playing some progressive scan Gamecube games on my Wii a few days ago. Trust me; you can pick up Wii component cables CHEEP online.

The ONE cool thing w/ doing GC games Progressive Scan on the Wii over the Gamecube is that if your Wii is set to Progressive Scan, you don't have to hold in "B" on the controller as you boot to swap the game into Progressive Scan. (But you still have to select it from the game's double-checking-with-you popup menu.)[/QUOTE]

Actually you don't have to do that on the Gamecube either. At least, once you have held in B once, and turned on Progressive scan for a compatible game, you never have to do it again, even for other progressive scan games, even ones you get later on. Most people presume that you have to hold in B every time, but I can verify that this isn't actually necessary. Holding in B gives you the choice to turn it off or on, but if you don't hold in B at power up it stays at what you used last time. Also the Gamecube manual states this.

[quote name='crunchewy']Actually you don't have to do that on the Gamecube either. At least, once you have held in B once, and turned on Progressive scan for a compatible game, you never have to do it again, even for other progressive scan games, even ones you get later on. Most people presume that you have to hold in B every time, but I can verify that this isn't actually necessary. Holding in B gives you the choice to turn it off or on, but if you don't hold in B at power up it stays at what you used last time. Also the Gamecube manual states this.[/QUOTE]
Weird. Over at my dad's house, he had the Gamecube w/ progressive scan. We had to do it every time on his or it wouldn't kick over. Don't know why. :/

At any rate, it's a good deal if you don't have a Wii yet.

If you have a store that you have to drive any significant distance to get to, I really suggest calling them first and asking them to check the cables to verify they are indeed Component Cables. I went to a store today that had the Component cables in stock based on the website and when I got there they had Composite cables labeled as Component on the tags. I was going to the store anyways to trade in games so no biggie, but if I had driven some distance I wouldn't have been too happy, so I'm just warning you.

The online tracker shows one in stock in town, I went in and asked them about it and they said the computer does show that they have 1, however they are quite certain it got boxed in with 1 of the used Gamecube systems. I would've liked to pick it up and use it in a guest room ( I mean for $5, why not?).

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']If you have a store that you have to drive any significant distance to get to, I really suggest calling them first and asking them to check the cables to verify they are indeed Component Cables.[/QUOTE]

Not saying this would ever happen, but if you call ahead, you might be giving an employee heads-up to go grab it off the shelves and sell on eBay...

I just want to say that I really think this is a labeling mistake at Gamestop.

As with another poster on this thread, I went to 2 gamestops that said htey had them in stock, and in the store it even said so in the computer.

Then when the guy helped me find it, in both gamestops, we found 1 pack of gamecube composite cables for $5.

been tracking these locally as well and picked 1 up, picking up 2 more sat. They are available. You may have to ask as they don't always have them out.

I have two of them in stock in my area. Would it be worth it to pick them up just to sell them back on ebay?

[quote name='Squal']I have two of them in stock in my area. Would it be worth it to pick them up just to sell them back on ebay?[/quote]
Check ebay there are 2 auctions ending in 5-6 hrs and they are at 50-60 shipped rt now

again if anyone finds one I'd be wiling to pay you cost + the shipping price. Within 100+ miles are the closest one's here too much gas to go that far!

bread's done
Back