Gamecube component cables

PrarieD0G

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Hi, I just had a quick question. I was browsing through craigslist, and I found a Gamecube with HD cables and Wavebird for $50. This would be a steal if the cables were first-party (Nintendo).

I asked the seller if they were official Nintendo cables, and he said they were. But when I look on eBay they only have 3 parts to them (RGB), and the ones pictured have 2 extra outputs (for audio).

Could anyone please tell me if these are official Nintendo cables or not? http://richmond.craigslist.org/ele/440191220.html

Those have the yellow cable for composite video so if I had to guess I'd say they're 3rd party cables. If you decide not to buy it don't tell him why. He'll just take the yellow cable out of the next picture to try to scam the next person.

Official ones shouldn't have audio out I think. It looks like there's an extra composite or s video connector on that cable as well. Perhaps someone who has the component cables for cube can shed some light? At this point I've no reason to think the seller is lying.

A cursory glance at google searching indeed shows Nintendo brand cables without audio far as I can tell. Perhaps he just has audio cables strapped together with the component cables.

Were users expected to still have their audio plugged into the analog multi-port?

[quote name='macdude22']Were users expected to still have their audio plugged into the analog multi-port?[/quote]

I think so. I don't recall the GC ever having an optical output but I could be wrong.

Right, the official component cable does not have audio. You need to use the regular cable for audio. That said, I don't believe there ever were any 3rd party component cables. The seller may have the component cable bundled together with the regular A/V cable in the picture.

PrarieDOG, ask the seller for a close-up of the cables only. If they're first-party then the Nintendo logo should be imprinted on the plug head that goes into the GC.

There is only 1 kind of component cables, N brand. The ones pictures are separate Audio and Component connections, they go in different ports on the gamecube.

Yeah, I was about to say that too: it just looks like the standard av cables are just laying really close to the component cables, since both are needed to get sound and picture. $50 for the system and wavbird is still somewhat of a good deal in itself, and I'm almost positive there never were 3rd party component cables due to the 480p technology being in the cable itself rather than the system, or something like that.

Yeah, that just looks like he's put the component cables and mixed them with the composite cables for the picture. You don't see the leads for the controllers, either, so it's not so shocking. Could always be a PITA and ask for another picture, too.

If it's just $50 for the bunch, it's a steal. The component cables sell on eBay for more than half that.

I still have my GC with component out, and as been mentioned already, the component cables do not have audio outs -- you have to use the original composite set-up for that. They end up both plugging into the GC. And no, there is no digital audio output on the GC.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HDTV-COMPONENT-VIDEO-A-V-CABLE-FOR-XBOX-GAMECUBE-PS2_W0QQitemZ230178889326QQihZ013QQcategoryZ21187QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

^^There's some 3rd party cables that are supposed to work for Gamecube.

I think I may ask him for a close-up of the cables like neocisco suggested... hope he doesn't get suspicious and look on eBay for their selling price though; then he might jack up the price.

EDIT: Oh, actually I just noticed that there is no yellow output on the eBay ones. Maybe you guys are right--it's probably just the AV cables laying next to the component ones.

[quote name='naruto179']Yeah, I was about to say that too: it just looks like the standard av cables are just laying really close to the component cables, since both are needed to get sound and picture. $50 for the system and wavbird is still somewhat of a good deal in itself, and I'm almost positive there never were 3rd party component cables due to the 480p technology being in the cable itself rather than the system, or something like that.[/quote]
If you read the description of the auction, it says:

The Gamecube Cable is an ANALOG AUDIO / VIDEO A/V CABLE, It does not have the digital component end ** THE GAMECUBE CABLE IS NOT AN HDTV/COMPONENT CABLE **

Just like any other multifunction component cable. You can attribute that to misleading/false advertising. As was stated before, the Gamecube component cables were only manufactured by Nintendo and were discontinued a few years back; hence their high aftermarket cost. In the picture, you can make out the outline of two separate cables, which would be the GCN component cable and the GCN composite cable. As long as that cable is a working GCN cable, it's legit.

bread's done
Back