GameCube Controller Repairs

megawat

CAG Veteran
I am looking for any info on repairing Gamecube controllers. The problem I have is with the control stick losing its neutral position and it causes the character to move on its own. It is a very slight movement but it is still annoying when you want your character to sit still.

I already know to leave the control sticks and L+R buttons in their neutral position when turning on the system. I also know that you can hold X+Y+Start for a few seconds to reset the neutral position but I am looking for a more permanant solution without having to buy a new controller.

There isn't much info on the web about repairing Gamecube controllers. I assume this is because you need a special screwdriver just to open the damn thing. The most info I found was on Nintendo's website saying to use a clean toothbrush with warm water to scrub around the control stick. The toothbrush shouldn't be dripping wet. Just wet enough to clean inside the crevices. Allow it to dry for a couple of hours and then try it out. I haven't tried this yet but I'm saving it as a last resort.

I already have the triwing screwdriver and have taken apart the controller. If anybody knows anything more about the workings of the analog stick, please help me!

[quote name='BIG5']Buy a new one and return the broken one the next day.[/QUOTE]

That is a good idea. I'll keep that in mind if I screw this up even more.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Buy a new one[/QUOTE]

I already said I don't want to buy a new one. I am a severely cheap ass. Sue me.

[quote name='megawat']I already said I don't want to buy a new one. I am a severely cheap ass. Sue me.[/QUOTE]

We'll sue you after the illegal action.

[quote name='Strell']Ah yes. Illegal activity. Brilliant.[/QUOTE]
Hey, I only did it because a Dual Shock 2 I had for less than a month decided to stop working after I walked across the carpet and picked it up. I think it's my right to replace a controller that can't handle a little static electricity.

[quote name='megawat']I already said I don't want to buy a new one. I am a severely cheap ass. Sue me.[/QUOTE]

Then play with the damned sticky controller then, any true cheapass would be to cheap to buy a special screw to open it.

[quote name='BIG5']Hey, I only did it because a Dual Shock 2 I had for less than a month decided to stop working after I walked across the carpet and picked it up. I think it's my right to replace a controller that can't handle a little static electricity.[/QUOTE]

And that makes you wrong, right when you said "I think it's my right." If you were that worried about it, you should have contacted the retailer or Sony and explained the issue to them. Don't give me this pompous self-righteous bs about what you think and how you rationalize it. Bottom line is that you are stealing and there is no way around that.

Beyond that, I've never heard of a controller dying from static electricity. I suppose it's possible but I can't believe it.

Edit: Roflmao, zion. Evil, but funny.

Where did you buy this game pad from, EB? Most places give you a 30 day return for defective and just plain unwanted products.

Switching out a controller like that is a dirty little bastard thing to do. Just fix your controller, it is easy; open it up, and clean the optical sensor.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Then play with the damned sticky controller then, any true cheapass would be to cheap to buy a special screw to open it.[/QUOTE]

The screwdriver was a gift for father's day. I didn't have to buy anything.

if you haven't opened it call nintendo

my ps2 controller was messed up and I called sony. They were like thats cool. I sent it back and they sent me another

nintendo may be like that if you argue

[quote name='Strell']And that makes you wrong, right when you said "I think it's my right." If you were that worried about it, you should have contacted the retailer or Sony and explained the issue to them. Don't give me this pompous self-righteous bs about what you think and how you rationalize it. Bottom line is that you are stealing and there is no way around that.

Beyond that, I've never heard of a controller dying from static electricity. I suppose it's possible but I can't believe it.[/QUOTE]
who the hell are you?
his dad?

[quote name='Strell']And that makes you wrong, right when you said "I think it's my right." If you were that worried about it, you should have contacted the retailer or Sony and explained the issue to them. Don't give me this pompous self-righteous bs about what you think and how you rationalize it. Bottom line is that you are stealing and there is no way around that.

Beyond that, I've never heard of a controller dying from static electricity. I suppose it's possible but I can't believe it.

Edit: Roflmao, zion. Evil, but funny.[/QUOTE]
I don't need to rationalize anything. I know it was fraud, but I don't care. What's pompous or self-righteous about that? And it is a true story.

bread's done
Back