GameCube for $50? Not really - Just bad signage

PlumeNoir

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just got back from Best Buy, and I saw that they have a pallet set up with the GameCube with one of the Mario Parties for $49.99!

I don't know if this has been mentioned (or maybe it has been at this price for a while and *I* missed it), but had I more cash on me, I would have picked up one...I'm still considering it!

Again, sorry if this is well known already (I didn't find anything in a quick search).

EDIT: Changed the title to reflect it is just a signage issue...

no way dude you sure it's not the game for 50 bux?????

someone plz confirm to make sure. GC is the only system i'm missin that i'm waiting to go down to 50 to get.

yea, Bestbuy is clearing them out....... they put them in clear gift wrap......... guess trying to make room for real money makers

Sure it wasn't the Mario Mix DDR box? They're about the same size.

Might have to pick another one up if they're $50.

[quote name='PlumeNoir']I just got back from Best Buy, and I saw that they have a pallet set up with the GameCube with one of the Mario Parties for $49.99!

I don't know if this has been mentioned (or maybe it has been at this price for a while and *I* missed it), but had I more cash on me, I would have picked up one...I'm still considering it!

Again, sorry if this is well known already (I didn't find anything in a quick search).[/QUOTE]

why would they clear something out the week it came out? That sounds beyong stupid on BB's part.. unless its just the game or system only

That's not logical at all, that would be someone at that particular Best Buy mistagging that particular item. They have the Mario Party bundle in their Black Friday ad at regular price, along with the fact that it just came out last week...There is no way I would even double check this deal and get my hopes up about it.

No offense to the OP who probably did see that sign, and should let people know what particular Best Buy it was at. That way everyone that lives around there can try to be the one to get in on the signing mistake.

[quote name='111111']no way dude you sure it's not the game for 50 bux?????

someone plz confirm to make sure. GC is the only system i'm missin that i'm waiting to go down to 50 to get.[/QUOTE]

Nope - I swear it was the GC...I even checked the signage. I can run back up and get a photo, if anyone wants...

[quote name='alive741']That's not logical at all, that would be someone at that particular Best Buy mistagging that particular item. They have the Mario Party bundle in their Black Friday ad at regular price, along with the fact that it just came out last week...There is no way I would even double check this deal and get my hopes up about it.

No offense to the OP who probably did see that sign, and should let people know what particular Best Buy it was at. That way everyone that lives around there can try to be the one to get in on the signing mistake.[/QUOTE]

Westland, MI Best Buy on a pallet. I'm going to be going back up in a bit and I will snap a pic or two.

This is obviously YMMV, and is more than likely a price error by a moron employee.

Let's face it: they'd be losing significant amounts of money by selling a GameCube for $50. It's not like this is a global MSRP price adjustment from Nintendo, or something.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']This is obviously YMMV, and is more than likely a price error by a moron employee.

Let's face it: they'd be losing significant amounts of money by selling a GameCube for $50. It's not like this is a global MSRP price adjustment from Nintendo, or something.[/QUOTE]

yep true dat. but hey if OP can get at least 1 for himself that's good enuff for a post to me heh.

i read somewhere that i think after thanksgiving Nintendo/Sony/MS (?) will give retailers the freedom to price the systems to anything they want and bundle whatever they want with the system. The article didn't say if they could rase the price of the core system without a bundle. Only time will tell.

[quote name='ITDEFX']i read somewhere that i think after thanksgiving Nintendo/Sony/MS (?) will give retailers the freedom to price the systems to anything they want and bundle whatever they want with the system. The article didn't say if they could rase the price of the core system without a bundle. Only time will tell.[/QUOTE]

they did this last year around this time too but alot of the bundles aside from frys electronics really suck/super high prices.

frys bundles during christmas season aren't always the best but imo they're the cheapest/worth getting. for ex. last year frys sold their slim ps2 for 150 but came with 4 free games .....turok,ssx,....i forgot the rest lol.

I doubt its 50 dollars the bundle just came out. I am waiting for the gamecube to drop to 79.99 (hopefully it will happen) before I pick one up.

[quote name='62t']really just buy the bundle and ebay mario party 7.[/QUOTE]

well even if you do that you'll still end up spending about 60-70 bux on the gc system. i say 50 is a good medium for a new gc imo.

100 is meh if ur bored and rich as hell.

[quote name='paintballers']I doubt its 50 dollars the bundle just came out. I am waiting for the gamecube to drop to 79.99 (hopefully it will happen) before I pick one up.[/QUOTE]

If you plan on buying a second controller, it's going to cost you $100 anyways, so you may as well get the MP7 bundle as it comes with 2 controllers and a game.

Okay, here's the deal:

It is the Mario party GC with extra controller package. They were on a pallet with some mario mat thing. (Forgive me, i don't have a GC, so I don't follow mario games anymore.) The pallet was two-thirds GCs and one-third the mat-thing. The sign was on the GCs and when you were coming up the cross aisle, you couldn't even see the mat thing. The sign only said the price and had the SKU - it didn't list what was $49, and it took me two looks to even see the mat.

I grabbed a media employee and asked the price of the GC, and he only said that the sign said they were $49. I had my doubts, so I waited for another employee and asked again. I recognized her from other times (She's really cool) and she told me that EVERYONE had been asking about the pallet and she seemed frustrated by the way it was set up. (I did notice that a number of GCs were gone in the few hours since I was last in the store, but there were still far more gamecubes than mats.)

I took a pic of the pallet with my camera phone and for a minute thought about trying to get the GC for $49; I think it is kinda misleading to have a pallet that is mostly $99 items, but have the lower priced thing advertised - with the signage not stating what is what price...or that there are even two different prices...or the signage really saying much of anything at all. (As a customer - how am I supposed to know what the SKU is supposed to be?) If i didn't have my two year old with me, I would have tried getting a GC for that price, or at least get them to mark the sign better.

So, sorry for the false alarm (I was pretty excited myself - that is why I went back up). If anyone is in the Westland, MI area, they can give it a shot.

EDIT: If anyone wants me to post the pic of the pallet (for what it's worth), let me know and I'll upload it to snapfish or something...

[quote name='111111']well even if you do that you'll still end up spending about 60-70 bux on the gc system. i say 50 is a good medium for a new gc imo.

100 is meh if ur bored and rich as hell.[/QUOTE]

I agree. To be honest, I'm not interested in a Mario Party game. If just a GC was just $50, then I'd blow the extra $50 and get a game I wanted. Bestbuy.com still list them as $99 alone, though. :roll:

I don't want a GC that bad yet...

[quote name='cyrix`']U should edit to the title so people (like me) dont get excited[/QUOTE]

Good point...I just walked in with dinner and got distracted. (I posted an update before I ate - I was thinking of you guys first before my own bodily needs! ;) )

bread's done
Back