GameCube Refurbished System $19.99 @ GameStop.com

swatman27

CAGiversary!
Feedback
67 (100%)
GameStop just restocked their GameCube systems online. They come with the system, all cords and of course, the controller. For $19.99, this is a pretty nice deal. Usually the controller alone is worth more than $20. Although the picture shoes a black console, it may be any color.

Check it out here

Get a backwards compatible wii. Not sure why anyone would revive this relic
Well, one reason would be to use the Gameboy Player with it. Then you turn a system that can play one type of game into a system that came play four generations of games.

If I had known, I would have nabbed one. I bought around 60 used GCN games at a local Gamestop back in March for around $50. No idea they even had any, but the guy said at one point they had a cabinet of them locked away in the back room and told a district manager to send the overstock there. Was the only Gamestop for 33 miles with them. Looks like they're closer to around 60 miles now.

I never realized how many copies of the Naruto games sold that system until I saw their used game section. Much like all the copies of "Friends" on PS2, I'm thinking it's akin to Scrooge McDuck swimming in a bin full of Gamecube discs.

well good price for a gamecube if you dont have one, but I would recommend checking your local thrift stores. IMO next to the original gray psx, the gamecube is the easiest system to find in the wild. I see them all the time for between 5-8 bucks console only. 

Yeah the game consoles at goodwill here in phoenix are overpriced. I saw a old nes with a controller and a broken ac adapter and coax cable for $60. I think goodwill only keeps the console with the cables if its in good condition. The games, controllers and cables are resonable priced. The best time to buy is on the 50% saturdays. You check out the salvation army and savers. You can find some diamonds in the rough.
I actually got a PSP at a Savers yesterday for $35. A little wax made it look very close to the one I got from Gamestop!

So there was this one XBOX at a thrift shop that that looked a little too white -

I'm thinking it's akin to Scrooge McDuck swimming in a bin full of Gamecube discs.
I've cut myself accidentally on GC discs before. I'd be all emo if I ever did that...or wanting to kill myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, one reason would be to use the Gameboy Player with it. Then you turn a system that can play one type of game into a system that came play four generations of games.

If I had known, I would have nabbed one. I bought around 60 used GCN games at a local Gamestop back in March for around $50. No idea they even had any, but the guy said at one point they had a cabinet of them locked away in the back room and told a district manager to send the overstock there. Was the only Gamestop for 33 miles with them. Looks like they're closer to around 60 miles now.

I never realized how many copies of the Naruto games sold that system until I saw their used game section. Much like all the copies of "Friends" on PS2, I'm thinking it's akin to Scrooge McDuck swimming in a bin full of Gamecube discs.
That is the reason I still have a Gamecube. The Game Boy Player is awfully nice for putting those old GB/GBC/GBA games on the big screen. It's not perfect (there's that momentary hitch in frame rate on a fixed interval), but it's a small price to pay for being able to play on the big screen.

It also blows my mind that someone can get this system and Metroid Prime, the greatest game made in the history of games, for under $30. Just think about it: There is some kid out there who has never played video games and they can experience such joy for about $30.

Edit: The Gamecube is the most underrated system ever. *Looks at Dreamcast*
Metroid Prime is fucking amazing.

I agree, it is probably the best game I have ever played. It's probably the only first person game that I truly enjoyed, with the exception of stuff like Doom, Quake, and Wolfenstein.

It's too bad the GC component cables start at around $150 on eBay (with actual bids, not just the BIN price).  Even then, if you get a late model GC, it won't have the port for them.  It's always bugged me that you still need to plug in the standard AV cable for sound since the component port didn't have audio out.  Nintendo - the games of tomorrow on the technology of yesterday.

It's too bad the GC component cables start at around $150 on eBay (with actual bids, not just the BIN price). Even then, if you get a late model GC, it won't have the port for them. It's always bugged me that you still need to plug in the standard AV cable for sound since the component port didn't have audio out. Nintendo - the games of tomorrow on the technology of yesterday.
I think those cables had special chips on them and were only sold from their website. I have no idea why they designed their console that way.

It's too bad the GC component cables start at around $150 on eBay (with actual bids, not just the BIN price). Even then, if you get a late model GC, it won't have the port for them. It's always bugged me that you still need to plug in the standard AV cable for sound since the component port didn't have audio out. Nintendo - the games of tomorrow on the technology of yesterday.
Funny thing is most of those I find didn't work at the Goodwills...Wonder why. And wonder why even more component cables are so freaking expensive. Whatever. I'll just use the Wii for that.

Wow, it's crazy the component cables are going for $200.  I still have mine from the Nintendo World Store.  It seems like a bargain that I paid $35 for them now.  I wish I'd kept the broadband adapter I had too though.

Sad that I never had the component cables, either.  Someday I'll come across them (for cheap)...  :/

Well, to be fair to Nintendo, it's not like component inputs were a really common thing back then.  S-Video still looks pretty good, even if you don't get progressive scan out of it.  Most people didn't have TVs to support it, either, and on a normal CRT set, S-Video and component have pretty minimal differences.

So yeah, a cost-cutting measure, but probably one that was justified, even if the competition supported it.

Well, to be fair to Nintendo, it's not like component inputs were a really common thing back then. S-Video still looks pretty good, even if you don't get progressive scan out of it. Most people didn't have TVs to support it, either, and on a normal CRT set, S-Video and component have pretty minimal differences.

So yeah, a cost-cutting measure, but probably one that was justified, even if the competition supported it.
Nintendo has a long history of going with the cheapest video solution possible. It's why the toploader nes has worse video output than the toaster.

Wow, it's crazy the component cables are going for $200. I still have mine from the Nintendo World Store. It seems like a bargain that I paid $35 for them now. I wish I'd kept the broadband adapter I had too though.
If I'm not mistaken they got discontinued early in the system's life and the port was removed all together later in the NGC's life.

bread's done
Back