Gamecube to Game Boy Micro Cable - Instructions in here

In reference to rdellw & Matooine: Does anyone have any recommendations for shipping to the UK?

I'd prefer payments be made via Paypal.

I'm still working on the cables (fingers hurt, need break). Hopefully I'll have the first batch ready to go tomorrow, pending me finishing the cables and getting the OK from another CAG member I shipped a "test" cable out to early last week. If the demand is strong, I figure I'll be able to get batches of 10 out every 1-2 weeks depending if Nintendo will continue to sell me the cables and not label me as a dealer.

[quote name='Troz1820']In reference to rdellw & Matooine: Does anyone have any recommendations for shipping to the UK?

I'd prefer payments be made via Paypal.

I'm still working on the cables (fingers hurt, need break). Hopefully I'll have the first batch ready to go tomorrow, pending me finishing the cables and getting the OK from another CAG member I shipped a "test" cable out to early last week. If the demand is strong, I figure I'll be able to get batches of 10 out every 1-2 weeks depending if Nintendo will continue to sell me the cables and not label me as a dealer.[/QUOTE]

Sounds awesome, sign me up for one if possible, also once you get it all finialized make sure to let us all know what, if anything, you'd take in trade for them (I'm slim on cash and don't use paypal but I'll find a way either way).

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Sounds awesome, sign me up for one if possible, also once you get it all finialized make sure to let us all know what, if anything, you'd take in trade for them (I'm slim on cash and don't use paypal but I'll find a way either way).[/QUOTE]

I'll be starting the list once I have all 10 ready for sale, so keep an eye on this thread on Monday evening. As for trades, I don't have too many wants at the moment but you can check out what I am looking for in my trade list (link in sig).

I'm going to begin taking orders at 7pm PST tonight. At that time I'll post a "password". If you want to purchase a cable you'll need to PM me that "password" and I will then send you information on my Paypal account.

I'm doing it this way to give everyone that wants a cable an equal shot of geting one of the first 10. Beyond the first 10 I will be keeping a list and sending out orders as I can complete them.

Greetings everyone. When I posted a request to Troz last week (post #41), he contacted me and asked that I test out the final version of his cable, being that I was the first response.

I received it this morning and have given it a run through using two different Micros on both Zelda: Four Swords and Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.

The cord works amazingly well. I had an SP hooked up as a comparison, and ran a few tests through each game. Loaded up Shadow Battle inside Zelda and played a few rounds, making sure onscreen gameplay and on-Micro gameplay was responsive and fluid. Moving between the two showed no slowdown or lag. The graphics were crisp and clean on the Micro, the control was spot-on, and the sound was clear as well - easily just as good as the SP. I killed my gf at Shadow Battle. I'm sure she enjoyed that.

Next, loaded up FF:CC. Again, same story here - clean controls, good respone, and no lag at all. The cable worked just as it should. I dare say Nintendo could not have created a better cable themselves. It is clean and very professional looking - you wouldn't know this was the work of someone with a soldering tool and some spare time on their hands.

So, I am happy to report that it worked incredibly well. I will be trying it out some more tonight, but I really feel no need to "test" it further - I just want to enjoy it and play some games with it. It really is excellent in every sense of the word, and I am positive others will be happy with the end product.

That all said, again Troz, I thank you for coming through on this cable for us. Perhaps after the initial orders die down, I might want to pick up a second one from you.

For now, everyone, be assured that the cable is of the highest quality and will not disappoint. Applause all around for our good CAG member Troz1820, as he has provided an excellent service to us all, filling a small gap created and left by the introduction of the Micro.

I salute you, good sir!

Due to the lukewarm response, and the fact that I can no longer order GBM Link Cables through Nintendo, I'm afraid that this batch will be the only batch. I've still got 3 cables as of this post. If you're on the fence about one, and don't want to make one yourself, I'd suggest grabbing one now.

If for some reason I was able to get 10 additional orders beyond the 4 cables I have left, I could find other ways of getting the GBM link cables, but I'm only going to go to those lengths if I'm able to get 10 paid pre-orders.

I'm also open to trades for the cables...

any news on postage to UK yet? I would like one but i need a price so i can forward money on to you via Paypal.

Cheers

Matt

I PMd you Matt.

Regular CAGer's: Last chance for cables before I let the Newbies who've been PMing me (with zero posts) purchase the cables.

I'm curious. Why can't you order more from Nintendo, did they not like bulk orders?

My local circuit city had the nyko cables, and since I was ordering faceplates from nintendo for my roommate and myself, I ordered the other cable. Thanks for the thread, I hope I don't screw mine up.

Nintendo does not like bulk orders. They state that their online store is for individual orders and not for resellers. I have ways around this if some more poeple wanted cables from me by having my friends and family order cables for me, but the demand simply doesn't seem to be there.

Good luck on your cable!

Unfortunately the small number of Micro Link Cables sold on eBay are 1) Not official Nintendo products, and 2) All located in Hong Kong.

Hi Troz1820,

Would it be possible for you to make available the pinouts of the GBA/SP link port Vs the Micro ones? It would be a huge help if you could.

Here are the pinouts for the GBA/SP:
http://www.ziegler.desaign.de/GBA/gba.htm#Description%20of%20the%20GBA%20link-port
linkport.jpg

1=3.3V (5V in GB/GBC mode)
2=Serial out
3=Serial in
4=Serial data
5=Serial clock
6=Ground

Do the numbers in your photo on page 1 correspond to these, or are they arbitrary?

PM't too.
This is really great since I needed a 2nd controller for FFCC and FSA and I wanted to buy a Micro+Play-yan(micro).
Now I can use both!
:D

Please pm me back Troz, really could use one of these cables so let me know if one is still available,
Thanks!

My Micro to Micro link cable came today. I haven't cut it apart yet though, had some fun Mario Kart and Link to the Past's Four Swords multiplayer action with my roommate today.

Patters: I've been looking at my drawings and I can't really tell which cable is what. I never properly labeled the male or female connectors. To figure all this out, all I did was use the GBMicro->GBALink converter to figure out which wires went where.

There are 8 pins total on the GBMicro, of which 1 & 8 are 5V and Ground I know. The remainder look like they go in the same order as the GBA Link port. So from what I can tell, looking at the connector straight on would be:

1=5V OR Gnd
2=3.3V
3=Serial out
4=Serial in
5=Serial data
6=Serial clock
7=Ground
8=5V OR Ground

Of course, they could be reversed but that's the general idea. I don't have any tools to test this kind of stuff with so unfortunately this is all I can do for you (I think).

[quote name='Troz1820']Of course, they could be reversed but that's the general idea. I don't have any tools to test this kind of stuff with so unfortunately this is all I can do for you (I think).[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I thought you might have a multimeter, if so you'd be able to check the continuity of the pins from one side of the official converter to the other. I do have one, so I can use it to measure for the 3.3V line. Once I have that then I should be able to work out the rest. Now I need a link cable. They don't seem to have officially been released in the UK yet.

patters,

I used my multimeter and verified that Pin 7 is 3.3V (I really hope) so the order should be reversed from what I posted above. Hope that helps and that you find a micro link cable to use.

Is there any way to still get one of those cables? sure would love to avoid buying an SP or advance just to play FFCC or FSA. Or, nintendo (if you read this stuff), please make a micro GC cable....!!!

Sorry, no way other than to build your own following the instructions on the first page of this thread.

I only did it to repay this community in a small way for all of the great deals I've gotten through here. The process of acquiring the two separate cables is too cumbersome to continue for just one person. I think I visited around 5 different Circuit City stores to round up the required Nyko cables.

(this doesn't work after all...)

Hello,

This is my first CAG post, so please forgive my newbness! -.- But, I thought some of you might find this interesting. I started an attempt to make my own link cable for GameCube -> Game Boy micro, where I'm hoping to leave the GBm cable completely intact, using a modified GC cable. The trick is, my friend gave me his InterAct "CubeLink Advanced" GC->GBA cable, which has a pass-through port on the GBA end!

[deleted useless info]

...I tried the following connection path:
Micro -> Micro link cable -> Micro converter -> CubeLink passthrough -> GameCube

Unfortunately, this setup didn't respond. I'm wondering if there is a cross-over issue with the wires, since I'm essentially trying to reverse the functionality of the pass-through port? I know it's a fully functional pass-through because I tested it in a GBm->GBA connection.

[deleted useless info and pic]

I was hoping that this pass-through solution might be a nice and easy alternative for those of us with no wiring skills, but I'm thinking now that I was wrong :p If anyone has any ideas for this, please let me know! I have a feeling that I'm close to a solution, but don't want to just start hacking away...

So i picked up a Pelican All-in-One Link at the local GameStop for $2 (in the used bin but new in the package...? $7.99 new). It goes from a GBA link connector, to a small box, then from the box are 2 cables, one a GBA link and one a GC link. I got brave and hacked the connector of my GBAM link cable and, after some continuity testing and color matching I was able to splice it together and make it work. I figured I was proud enough of my accomplishments that I'd post the results, including the way the wires hookup, as follows:

Nintendo cable ==> Pelican cable
------------------------------------------
Shielding => Green & Black
Green => Orange
Brown => Red
Orange => Yellow
Red => Brown
Blue => Blue

That is of course assuming that Pelican decided to wire every cable the same. You're probably as confused as I am about the way the colors line up, especially considering both cables have green, orange, red, blue and brown in common, but whatever, it works.

The best part: the cable still works as a link cable between my GBAM and my SP. :lol:

Arhynas, that's awesome! Was hoping to leave my micro cable intact enough to also connect to SPs, and with your setup I should be able to! Thanks for the post... also thanks to Troz again for all of the hard work :)

One quick question to either/both of you guys... does it matter which end of the micro cable I cut and splice? These link cables are supposed to have a master and slave end, right? I'm assuming the slave plug is the one with the support lip added (so it won't fit in the extension block).

Thanks!

P.S. My attempt at using the CubeLink Advanced has all but failed :p Time to pick up that Pelican cable!

^^Glad you figured out how to use the Pelican Cable. I always figured it wouldn't be too difficult to get it to work with that cable.

^It doesn't matter which end of the micro cable you use. They both have the same wires running through them. It's the small circuit board in the middle that determines master/slave for GB->GB connectivity.

There's supposed to be a new Pelican all-in-one link cable which has a GBM connector on it. Here it is at Target, due out on March 8th. I think it's just a universal GB->GB Link cable and doesn't have any GC connectors on it. Anyways, it should allow people to get a micro connector without having to go through the Nintendo store, if it ever comes out. It was originally due early February IIRC.

Hmm... I want a Micro -> GCN Cable... and have no talent. ;)

Anyone know if any unofficial cables have been released yet (In Japan or otherwise)?

I just finished making a couple cables with the Nintendo GBM cable and a pair of the Nykos. Couldn't be easier, just 12 soldersplices and they're done. Now I just need to get some electrical tape and close 'em up. Pac-Man VS is tons better using these than an original GBA.

Thanks, Troz.

Hi,

Just wanted to send a quick thank you to Troz, I just made my own cable by following the old instructions (official micro cable, official cube->gba cable), and
it's working :).

thanks again!

--warp.

(note, if you're looking for official micro cables outside the US, I found mine on lik-sang.. a bit expensive but it was worth it :)

Great! Glad everything worked out for you.

A word of warning to those of you building your own cable: Lik-Sang and other places are now selling unofficial Micro link cables. These cables unfortunately do not have all of the wires required to build the link cable. I've tried two different third party cables without any luck. You must use the official Nintendo Micro Link Cable.

For those that aren't ready to build their own cables, I'm working on getting another batch of cables completed. The last hurdle to jump is getting the Micro Link cables from Nintendo. I'm working on a solution at the moment and hopefully will be able to get some cables completed at a lower price point than before in the next few weeks. Keep an eye on this thread if you're interested in one.

yeah dude i would so get one of those cords that your making it would help out soo much, but then again i might try to make my own. Well whatever good looking out.

You got the Skills !
I really need one, maybe two :cry: damn I don’t have solder skills :cry:
Name your price to Australia :D

So, I'm going to do my best to have 20 cables ready by this Sunday (actually 18, UncleBob already got 2 since he's been such a big help). The price will be $17.50 per cable shipped to the continental USA. If you do want a cable, I ask that you wait to PM me until I post that they are for sale. I like to be able to ship the cables when I receive payment. The new cable looks like this:

newlink01.jpg

I have enough materials to do a total of 50 cables. Once all of those are gone it'll be much harder for me to get the supplies for additional cables so if you want one and don't want to make it yourself I suggest you don't wait this time.

Guys and gals -

I got my two cables today (No, I'm not hoarding them, I'm sending one to a friend in Japan) and they work wonderfuly! I tested them with FF:CC, LoZ:WW, LoZ:FSA, Pac-Man Vs. and Animal Crossing (using the eTM/e-Reader and Animal Island).

The build on these things is amazing. Troz, CheapD and I put some amount of effort into getting the supplies to make these as cheap as possible (The bottle neck ended up being that Troz ended up having to order the official cables directly from Nintendo... although having to special order the box - which is about 1/3rd the size of the micro - that you see in the middle of the cable didn't help either). Fortunatly, in the end, we were still able to cut the cost down on these a bit from the original.

As Troz said, if you want one, don't miss out this time. By the time he gets done splicing cables and cutting into these boxes, he's not going to want to make any more.

Not to mention Nintendo is as unhelpful as possible when it comes to trying to order a decent qaunity of the official micro cable....

-UB

That’s great news. I’ve been keeping an eye on this thread for a while and can’t wait to place an order. I was about to take a stab at making one myself using the Nyko method, but couldn’t find the Nyko cables anywhere, they’re all sold out. Plus, I have no experience doing this kind of stuff, so I’m glad you’re making more. Hope there will be enough for the regulars and newbies like myself. Thanks.

-Hutch

Re: The Nyko Cable

I contacted Nyko in regards to purchasing cables directly from them (or, if possible, through a supplier reccomended by them) and was informed that the cables have been out of production for awhile now. If someone is interested in the Nyko cable, the best bet is going to be finding one used at EBGames or such.

For kicks and giggles, I dug out my Game Boy micro -> Game Boy Advance/SP adapter and plugged it into this cable and my SP just to see if it'd work.

It did. Yay! Now I have a fairly expensive GameBoyAdvance/GameCube cable! WHoo!

bread's done
Back