GameFly and/or NetFlix

Just suck it up. I don't think there's ever been discounts on their subscription prices. The best you could do is get a free month before you actually start up your subscription.

With GameFly if you sign up for the trial and then cancel before it ends, they will offer you the first month at a cheaper rate. At least that's how they tried to reel me in, unsuccessfully I might add.

Yeah Netflix you can easily get a free month (Actually it's more like half a month because you only get 2 free rentals).

[quote name='rocknsince1984']With GameFly if you sign up for the trial and then cancel before it ends, they will offer you the first month at a cheaper rate. At least that's how they tried to reel me in, unsuccessfully I might add.[/QUOTE]

This works.

They will give you a last minute "hey wait!" kind of discount. I seem to remember it being like 14.95 instead of the regular 22 or so. The service was good enough for me to stick around at that price, but I do have it ready to cancel at the end of this month. If they had a closer shipping center or better ship times to chicago, it would be worth more than the asking price for me, just my opinion.

Definitely try the free trial, and my advice is just cancel a few days before it will charge you. Don't wait til the last day. I checked when it said 2 days left in your free trial...I went to cancel 2 days later and it had already charged me for december.

Thanks -- So the $15/mo is only for one more month after trying to cancel, or would the rate then permanently be $15/mo for your account? And that's for a 2-out plan, right?

^No thats one at a time; their prices have really raised over the years in comparison to Netflix. If you are a member then threaten to quit, you'll get a 1/mo. rate of $9.99, after that your best bet is to gift yourself a giftcard to get a discount. Overall the service sucks if you have it for new games.

I gave this a shot since I was buying Play on anyway and they had a one month trial for 8.95. First game they're shipping out is Left for Dead 2, so that's not too bad. Do they eventually just ship out older games once you've been a customer for a while instead of newer ones?

One way you can get a discount from GF is by purchasing gift certificates. The more months you get, the bigger the discount. For a year, you can get 20% off. I would only recommend locking yourself in like that if you actually enjoy the service. GF seems to be something people either love or hate, and a lot has to do with your expectations and how far away you live from one of their few shipping centers.

GF shipping and availability never clicked well enough for me when I last signed up a few years? ago. Doesn't sound like things have changed much.

Anyways, back then they offered the cheaper rate as long as you came back -- not just a month. Sheesh.

You're better off trying one of their GBOx machines for renting newer games by the day. Works pretty well. Have to be on, or near a college/university campus.

If you live in Ohio you can now rent games through the mail from Blockbuster. Their shipping center is in CLE.

Costs $19 a month but you get movies and games unlimited (through the mail).

[quote name='Koggit']Are there ever any deals on subscriptions to either of these services or should I just suck it up and pay their asking price(s)?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']One way you can get a discount from GF is by purchasing gift certificates. The more months you get, the bigger the discount. For a year, you can get 20% off. I would only recommend locking yourself in like that if you actually enjoy the service. GF seems to be something people either love or hate, and a lot has to do with your expectations and how far away you live from one of their few shipping centers.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the Gift Certificates. Signed up with GameFly last year with Gift Certificates but cancelled after they ran out. Just signed up today with 6 month gift certificate (early Christmas from wife) and saved 15% off regular price. Told family if they want an easy gift, buy me more certificates so hopefully I'll have enough to cover the last 6 months.

Also when I signed up today it said I was automatically signed up for a Sweepstakes Giveaway where they are giving away a console of your choice everyday of this month. But I think it's only for December so if your thinking of do it I'd sign up soon to at least get in the giveaway and then see if you like it from there. I didn't have any problems with my service before and I'm up in Washington State. I'm not close to any shipping center and I believe most of my games arrived about 2 days after being shipped. If things are different this time around I'll post again.

Do you got a link for that sweepstakes? I could use a new console for Christmas.

btw: i got a gamefly gift cert year before last in my christmas stocking. the "discount" for that was that I gamed for free for like 3 months. Yipeeeeee!

With NetFlix, I've done the free 1-month trial 3 times already throughout college (living at 3 different addresses, using 3 different email addresses, and using 3 different credit cards). I'm surprised they haven't caught on.

[quote name='ryauda2006']Do you got a link for that sweepstakes? I could use a new console for Christmas.

btw: i got a gamefly gift cert year before last in my christmas stocking. the "discount" for that was that I gamed for free for like 3 months. Yipeeeeee![/QUOTE]

Found this link on Gamefly's site. It is on one of those rotating banner things so you have to hit refresh to get the banner to change messages.

http://www.gamefly.com/features/playerschoice

I'm going for the PS3, already have a 360. Come on Santa, give some Christmas luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back