GameFly Daily Deals: Battlefield 3 (360) $20, LOTR: War in the North $10, SC V $20

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
In for R3, only because I'm one of those people who find it necessary to own every game in a series when I already own the others. o_O

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Did you try adding extra 4 digits to zip code? I hate those.

Chips? Minor cosmetic on outer surface, never heard of it making a game unplayable unless you are talking about scratches, cracks, or Xbox games. Also gamefly cases/manuals/DLC codes come unused and you can ask for a replacement case if case broke during shipping, no extra charge.[/QUOTE]
When it "auto-corrected" my address it added the extra 4 digits, so I tried it both ways to no avail. Upon further discussion with support they reviewed it and admitted that I did put my billing information in correctly, but that they don't know why it didn't work.

Now they're forcing me to call them because credit card info needs to be discussed, but since the offer is now over I said that if they can confirm that I'll still get the advertised price and that they won't send me a chipped disc, I'll call them.

I don't care if chips don't affect gameplay; I don't want to pay for a damaged disc, period.

[quote name='Idiotekque']When it "auto-corrected" my address it added the extra 4 digits, so I tried it both ways to no avail. Upon further discussion with support they reviewed it and admitted that I did put my billing information in correctly, but that they don't know why it didn't work.

Now they're forcing me to call them because credit card info needs to be discussed, but since the offer is now over I said that if they can confirm that I'll still get the advertised price and that they won't send me a chipped disc, I'll call them.

I don't care if chips don't affect gameplay; I don't want to pay for a damaged disc, period.[/QUOTE]
Maybe you should buy new games... with cash...

Every gamely disc I've ever bought was chiptacular. I know that isn't a shared experience by the mixed accounts I read here every time their sales come up. But it's my experience, and I don't mind used games, but I've never seen condition like that (maybe buying several year old games from GS would compare equally)

When I got rage about a month ago it came with no dlc code, a cracked case, and the discs looked like someone sanded the floor with them. What sucked is a week later new copies were cheaper at best buy. :(

[quote name='AukeySeven']Maybe you should buy new games... with cash...[/QUOTE]
I do? Just because I'm buying something used doesn't mean I want it to come in crappy shape. A chipped up disc would sell on eBay for under $10, or it wouldn't sell at all... because people don't want chipped up discs. I don't think I'm being very unreasonable when I want a disc in good shape.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I do? Just because I'm buying something used doesn't mean I want it to come in crappy shape. A chipped up disc would sell on eBay for under $10, or it wouldn't sell at all... because people don't want chipped up discs. I don't think I'm being very unreasonable when I want a disc in good shape.[/QUOTE]

Don't buy from Gamefly then. It's a well known issue, so you have no right to complain if you still decide to go ahead and order anything used from them.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I do? Just because I'm buying something used doesn't mean I want it to come in crappy shape. A chipped up disc would sell on eBay for under $10, or it wouldn't sell at all... because people don't want chipped up discs. I don't think I'm being very unreasonable when I want a disc in good shape.[/QUOTE]

they work perfectly fine though.

Seeing how its only $10 more new on amazon, and hearing how it didn't sell well, I think I might just reward Insomniac for their efforts and buy it new. But seeing how they said they will not continue the series......decisions......

Nice in for Resistance 3....love the series and another one to cross of my list:)....thanks for heads up on deals and believe I'm hooked to this thread....probably bought 20 games from all 3 consoles since they started these nightly deals:).

its fun for a romp, the multiplayer is interesting but doesn't even come close to the big boys. if you own a playstation you owe it to yourself to blow through the whole series at least once.

[quote name='Shuino']Well just grabed FF13-2 figured 20 was a pretty fair price.[/QUOTE]

Thanks to you and this post I was able to grab FFXIII-2 for PS3, thank you.

Well, I came into this deal reading the OP that states the the games "are usually in excellent condition". Chips on a disc don't qualify as "excellent condition", they fall under the "acceptable" or "fair" category. I have a PSX disc that literally has a pie slice shaped piece of the disc missing and it still plays great; doesn't mean I would have paid money for it; I got it for free.

I have no problem with games with a little damage that play, but only at the right price. Why pay for a chipped up game when you can buy it on eBay for a dollar or two more with pictures of the item in actual "excellent" shape? I'm just trying to understand what's up, since on one hand the founder of CAG says that the stuff comes in "excellent condition" and others say the discs are "chipped" up. I don't run into chipped up discs very often; that's a pretty bad case of damage; regardless of playability; and it hurts the value a lot.

But that said, if the disc you get is chipped up, can you return it for another copy or a refund? Do you have to pay return shipping? I'm testing the waters before I give a company that I have no faith in a good inspection and hear what people more experienced with them have to say. I don't think diving in head first is a great idea when you've never bought from a certain company before.

^You can return it, they will send you a return shipping label, and give you a refund. They won't replace it.

More than likely your discs will be chipped. Every single one I've bought in the last 6 months or so has had at least a couple chips. So if you absolutely won't accept any chips on your disc, I would just say don't buy anything. However, I never would have even noticed these chips except for it was pointed out here. They're not noticeable unless you know what you're looking for. And I've never had any game not play because of the chips.

I honestly think the whole "chipped games" thing is really really overblown. Emphasis on REALLY!

Does the halo anniversary come with the slip cover? Also are slip covers no longer included with the newer print? I'm debating wether or not I should buy it here or toy r us.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']Does the halo anniversary come with the slip cover? Also are slip covers no longer included with the newer print? I'm debating wether or not I should buy it here or toy r us.[/QUOTE]

I bought Halo last time they had it on sale, mine came with the slip cover and the DLC. Slip covers are not included on the reprint copies of the game. If you're copy from Gamefly is from the first print, it will have a slipcover. If its not, it won't.

[quote name='Survivalism']If I don't care about Halo, is CE:A going to change my mind?[/QUOTE]

Probably not. CE:A is just a HD remake from the original with the ability to play online multiplayer. You might want to rent it before making a purchase decision.

If you don't like Halo, here are your options:

1. Give the series another chance and play Halo 3 (the cleanest and best title in the series, in many's opinion).

2. Play Reach, since it's not much like any other Halo game and much more catered to a wider multiplayer audience.

3. Continue disliking Halo.

[quote name='Drclaw411']I bought Halo last time they had it on sale, mine came with the slip cover and the DLC. Slip covers are not included on the reprint copies of the game. If you're copy from Gamefly is from the first print, it will have a slipcover. If its not, it won't.[/QUOTE]

Okay thanks. Went ahead and ordered. I don't think the toys r us copies would have the slip cover.

[quote name='Idiotekque']If you don't like Halo, here are your options:

1. Give the series another chance and play Halo 3 (the cleanest and best title in the series, in many's opinion).

2. Play Reach, since it's not much like any other Halo game and much more catered to a wider multiplayer audience.

3. Continue disliking Halo.[/QUOTE]

If you're a fan of halo, stay away from Reach!

Can't argue with that statement, but I'm a Halo fan and I enjoyed Reach as well. It's a hell of a lot different, but it's still a Halo game. The multiplayer was more rewarding in my opinion. It's pretty cheap these days anyways, so it's worth a shot if you're not sure.

[quote name='Idiotekque']If you don't like Halo, here are your options:

I tried, I really did...could not get into it At All

meh...

3. Continue disliking Halo....

Done and done..[/QUOTE]

Simple nuff...

[quote name='Psychonik']I'd prefer that my discs aren't chipped all around the edge.[/QUOTE]

i don't care if mine are so long as the game plays

[quote name='Psychonik']I'd prefer that my discs aren't chipped all around the edge.[/QUOTE]

Honestly for the price of a lot of these sales you can resell the disc-only locally and replace it with a buffed-copy if you must.

I'm pretty anal about cosmetic quality but if it plays for

Do Gamefly discs ever have chips around the edges? I ask because I've never seen anybody mention it before and was wondering.

[quote name='lethargic']Do Gamefly discs ever have chips around the edges? I ask because I've never seen anybody mention it before and was wondering.[/QUOTE]

not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but in case not, yes some of their used discs have chips. but you have to look really really hard to see them the chips are sometimes that small.

all mine with the small chips have loaded fine but if not others here have reported it's easy to get a return label and your cc credited but no replacement is given.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Why pay for a chipped up game when you can buy it on eBay for a dollar or two more with pictures of the item in actual "excellent" shape? I'm just trying to understand what's up, since on one hand the founder of CAG says that the stuff comes in "excellent condition" and others say the discs are "chipped" up. I don't run into chipped up discs very often; that's a pretty bad case of damage; regardless of playability; and it hurts the value a lot.[/QUOTE]

the main reason to get used from gamefly is that all their used games include online codes.

used games from ebay, best buy, gamestop, etc. most of the time do not have online codes.

all the cases and manuals for the used games I've gotten from gamefly have been in mint or near mint condition. that's got to help value also if you plan on eventually flipping it.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Well, I came into this deal reading the OP that states the the games "are usually in excellent condition". Chips on a disc don't qualify as "excellent condition", they fall under the "acceptable" or "fair" category. I have a PSX disc that literally has a pie slice shaped piece of the disc missing and it still plays great; doesn't mean I would have paid money for it; I got it for free.

I have no problem with games with a little damage that play, but only at the right price. Why pay for a chipped up game when you can buy it on eBay for a dollar or two more with pictures of the item in actual "excellent" shape? I'm just trying to understand what's up, since on one hand the founder of CAG says that the stuff comes in "excellent condition" and others say the discs are "chipped" up. I don't run into chipped up discs very often; that's a pretty bad case of damage; regardless of playability; and it hurts the value a lot.

But that said, if the disc you get is chipped up, can you return it for another copy or a refund? Do you have to pay return shipping? I'm testing the waters before I give a company that I have no faith in a good inspection and hear what people more experienced with them have to say. I don't think diving in head first is a great idea when you've never bought from a certain company before.[/QUOTE]

there is Nothing "excellent" or "like new" quality about Gamefly games. I have bought 3 games from them and All had chips on the edges. they mistreat their disks using those thin paper envelopes then they sell them to you. Also 2 game cases were Cracked and Broken that they sent me. So basically their games are of Poor quality. CheapyD is probably paid by Gamefly to advertise and say that the games are Like New cause they arent. Chipped disks and broken cases doesnt qualify as Like New. but for an $8 bucks Gamefly game you can play it once, beat it, then throw it out the window since its about as cheap as a rental.

Blame USPS for the damaged cases. Gamefly doesn't send the cases to people who rent the games, so they're like new when they send them out.

[quote name='whoknows']Blame USPS for the damaged cases. Gamefly doesn't send the cases to people who rent the games, so they're like new when they send them out.[/QUOTE]

Well... either that or someone sold a used copy to Gamefly, which they in turn sold to someone else afterwards.

wow.... my Resistance 3 is shipped already...

[quote name='Flying Frog']there is Nothing "excellent" or "like new" quality about Gamefly games. I have bought 3 games from them and All had chips on the edges. they mistreat their disks using those thin paper envelopes then they sell them to you. Also 2 game cases were Cracked and Broken that they sent me. So basically their games are of Poor quality. CheapyD is probably paid by Gamefly to advertise and say that the games are Like New cause they arent. Chipped disks and broken cases doesnt qualify as Like New. but for an $8 bucks Gamefly game you can play it once, beat it, then throw it out the window since its about as cheap as a rental.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if maybe people are super picky or what, but I have bought about 30-40 games from Gamefly in over 2 years. All have been in mint to perfect condition. Each and every one. Never had a problem with a single used game, case was always in new condition, and never have I noticed any chipping or anything, and the discs are always clean. I never notice any chipping, I dont look for it, but not once have I even noticed it.

I just don't know if its my super ultra mega luck (which I have none that I know off), or its some people just being extra picky or something and you see flaws and blow em out of omega-level proportions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've bought 10 games or so from GF sales. One didn't play at all from damage and was returned. Maybe 2 or 3 have been mint. The rest have been the chipped mess other people are talking about. All played though and that's all I care about.

The 2 or 3 that were mint were basically perfect. Strange how it works sometimes. And all DLC and cases have always been perfect for me.

if the slightest idea of a chipped disc scares you then please do NOT buy gamefly (or any used game from anywhere). leaves more available to us who are willing to take the small risk of a really cheap used chipped disc game not loading.

I have bought about 15 to 20 used games of GameFly and I have never had any problems. Every disc and case have been mint condition besides maybe 2 or 3 with very light scuffs on the disc.

I too have bought quite a few PS3 and 360 games from Gamefly and have never had one even slightly damaged. All were like new. That being said, my PS3 Catherine disk should be delivered today so lets hope I didn't jinx it.
As for Cheapy D getting kickbacks from Gamefly...I seriously doubt it. Cheap he may be, but I don't see him screwing over his community for a little extra cash.

bread's done
Back