Gamefly opinions

videogamejunkie

CAGiversary!
I have been thinking about signing up for gamefly. I have tried gameznflix a while back and I was happy for 6 months and then they went south. Is gamefly any better? Will I get new releases?

dont know about gamezanflix but ive been really happy with gamefly, usually always have everything in stock and there always having awesome sales for there customers when buying there games. also ive always gotten an excellent copy with no scratches or anything and complete with the manual case and any and all inserts

I've been with gamefly for over a year and I'm happy with the service. Sometimes new releases can be a bit difficult to get, but if you have it on your list for a while and have a game that should come your way, then the chances of getting that game is pretty high.

Gamefly is great. The turnaround has been very quick for me. Also, the rewards and free shipping towards used games is nice, especially when they a have a decent sale.

If you want to really, really get a new game that is low on availability, the best way to guarantee its arrival is clearing out your queue. As long as the game is actually released, they will send it to you, no matter what. The only issue is that it might take awhile to get there, because they might send it from a distribution center that is not the closest to you. For instance, I really wanted Assassin's Creed, but it had low availability. It got skipped over three times. I cleared my queue, though, and left that as the only title. It was shipped out, but it from California.

great service, but a bit too pricey. After 3 months of the service I quit. I realized that those 3 months could have bought me a game that I would still have, but with gamefly I had nothing.

I had played a few titles but I usually tried to rush through them so that I could send them back so I received my 'value' from the service.

i'd rather have the game.

For me, most games don't have the replay value that warranty purchase. I see all of the games that I have traded in over the years, and I realize I could have saved a ton by just renting. I mean, for $20-ish a month, I can rent two games. Seeing as most games can be beat in a week, I have plenty of time to enjoy each title. That's better than spending $100+ on those games, playing them for a few weeks, and then have them sit on a self.

it depends on your play style

are you going to have plenty of free time to play and get the most of your rentals?

are you going to be playing mostly new games, or will you be playing older games?

for me, its not worth 20 a month to rent from gamefly, i could buy 1-2 games a month for less elsewhere...now a days i don't get to play much, plus i have ps2 and older systems so games are pretty cheap, especially used. but if your going to be playing new games, ps3 or xbox 360...or even wii, those would cost ya 60ish to buy, unless they suck. renting would be far more beneficial then, especially if you have the time to play.

If you want a free month to try it out, go out and find a Lunchables that says something about Gamefly on it. Each one comes with at least a 1 month trial. Some with 3 and 12 month trials. I did this and now I'm going to subscribe to it.

depends whether or not you quickly get bored of game, if you do join, if you don't better to buy a game.

Ive been using GameFly since 2005 and for the first 1.5 years I was constantly complaining on how long it took them to receive/ship games.

But then they finally opened an East coast warehouse and since then its been a much better service. Instead of an on avg. 7-8 day wait, its cut down to 2-3 days. That I can accept given the fee I pay per month.

They now have centers in Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, and Tampa. I do recommend the service. Though they still cant beat the speeds of Netflix which is a 1 day turnaround for me.

I live in CA and I thought the turn around time was still slow for being so close. Netflix was much faster. Though every game I received from the was always in great shape.

Does anyone know if the post offices scan all gamefly returns? I know for the FastReturn service they are required to, but my area doesnt have that feature so does that mean my post office will scan my gamefly games? I am just curious.

[quote name='Fuzi0n']I live in CA and I thought the turn around time was still slow for being so close.[/QUOTE]

When I first signed up for GameFly, the turnaround time was quick. After sending off a game, I'd get my next one within one week. Now, not so much and I'm not sure why. It's taking, sometimes, at LEAST two weeks for me to finally get a game from my que. I think I'm going to cancel my subscription soon.

Yeah I've had Assassin's Creed in my queue since it came out along with Kan and Lynch, yet they are always sending something way down on my queue. Also it takes 5-6 days to get my games and 5-6 days before they acknowledge my return. In the trail it was so quick like 2-3 days, but now...I will be canceling soon seeing as how brightspot is no longer available.

[quote name='gamer4432']Does anyone know if the post offices scan all gamefly returns? I know for the FastReturn service they are required to, but my area doesnt have that feature so does that mean my post office will scan my gamefly games? I am just curious.[/QUOTE]

Does anybody know if theres a place to check if your area has the fastreturn service? Their new Tampa location seems poor already in my first two shipped games, they both showed "available" but came from Cali again, aka waiting for 7-10 days.

[quote name='Foladar']Does anybody know if theres a place to check if your area has the fastreturn service? Their new Tampa location seems poor already in my first two shipped games, they both showed "available" but came from Cali again, aka waiting for 7-10 days.[/quote]

All of my games have shipped from Tampa and normally arrive in 2 days.

[quote name='Surferflames']All of my games have shipped from Tampa and normally arrive in 2 days.[/QUOTE]

They really take two days to ship from Tampa->Orlando? I'd thought it would be there next day, I know when I was signed up from Netflix Ft Lauderdale-> Keys was the next day .. I just hate when the game says "now available" and next thing I know, its being shipped from Cali .. they should probably make it send you an email asking if you still want it sent from X, or to choose the next game. I guess that means my ship times should go from 7 days down to about 3 if they ship from Tampa, was hoping for 2 days max though.

[quote name='Socheata']When I first signed up for GameFly, the turnaround time was quick. After sending off a game, I'd get my next one within one week. Now, not so much and I'm not sure why. It's taking, sometimes, at LEAST two weeks for me to finally get a game from my que. I think I'm going to cancel my subscription soon.[/quote]

Same.

Not only does it take me a while to get a game, but I usually get #5 or #6 on my list...and most of them aren't brand new releases...I'll likely be canceling this month after being a member for about two years. I'd rather pay Hollywood Video $20 a month and get a rental whenever I feel like it - and know if the game is in stock or not.

[quote name='Foladar']They really take two days to ship from Tampa->Orlando? I'd thought it would be there next day, I know when I was signed up from Netflix Ft Lauderdale-> Keys was the next day .. I just hate when the game says "now available" and next thing I know, its being shipped from Cali .. they should probably make it send you an email asking if you still want it sent from X, or to choose the next game. I guess that means my ship times should go from 7 days down to about 3 if they ship from Tampa, was hoping for 2 days max though.[/quote]

I think it has more to do with processing time than actual ship time on my post office's end. They tend to slow things down a bit in my district. I swear there are days where the mailman doesn't show up and just shoves it all in the next day.

I just cancelled my service. It was taking me about a week to get a game in my queue once I sent one back. Getting things sent to me that were way down on my queue was also discouraging. There are tricks to getting the game you want like others have said by clearing out your queue, but you shouldn't have to do that.

I thought about getting a Gamefly subscription until I read how long the games take to arrive. When I want to rent a game I usually go to Hollywood Video with my Rent 1 Get 1 coupon from Xbox Live Diamond (www.xboxlivediamond.com). Great for the short, or not worth buying games and you aren't paying when you aren't playing. I recommend all CAG's on Xbox Live who live near a Hollywood Video to get this. The coupon seems to always be available. Otherwise, you could just take advantage of Blockbuster's late policy and keep a game for 12 days instead of 5 with no penalty. Gamefly may be convenient but seems pricier in the long run, unless you do nothing but play games all day

[quote name='blackhole82']I just cancelled my service. It was taking me about a week to get a game in my queue once I sent one back. Getting things sent to me that were way down on my queue was also discouraging. There are tricks to getting the game you want like others have said by clearing out your queue, but you shouldn't have to do that.[/quote]

I can't speak for why the turnaround was so poor for you, but as for not getting the game you want, that's completely understandable. If you have 10 games in your queue, Gamefly's system is going to assume you actually want any of those 10 games. Sure, you would prefer the top ones, but you still put the other games on there, so you must want them. Thus, their system juggles what you want, what other people want, and where it would have to ship from in order for you to get it.

Took about four days for my game to come from Pittsburgh, I'll reply back when I send it back in a few days on how long it takes to return to Tampa.

bread's done
Back