Gamefly raises rates; also offers discounted pre-paid plans

iamthekiller

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
At GameFly, we are committed to providing excellent service at prices that enable you to play all the games you want economically. However, the May 14th postal rate hike on "flat" mailers, as well as the higher cost of new console games, has significantly increased our cost of doing business.

In order to continue improving our service while facing higher external costs, we're raising the monthly fee on all membership plans by $1. All accounts billed on or after June 18, 2007 will be charged at the new rate. Since we opened our doors nearly five years ago, this is the first time we've ever raised the price of our most popular two-game plan.

With plans as low as 53 cents a day, GameFly remains the most cost-effective way to play as many games as possible. As a valued member, we're also giving you the opportunity to lock in a discounted rate of up to 20% off the new plan prices. We urge you to sign up for one of our discount plans now because this offer expires June 18th.

We look forward to serving you in the coming year, as we continue our commitment to providing the best video game rental service available. If you have any comments or questions, please contact us at [email protected].

Our membership plan prices are increasing by $1 on June 18, so lock in your discount rate today! Learn More

12 Months for only $18.33/month
Billed in one installment of $219.95
Save 20% off your monthly membership!

6 Months for only $19.50/month
Billed in one installment of $116.95
Save 15% off your monthly membership!

3 Months for only $20.65/month
Billed in one installment of $61.95
Save 10% off your monthly membership!

Offer expires 6/18/07

Not sure how the brightspot credits will work if you're paying in installments..

I haven't gotten that e-mail yet. I've been with them for about 9 months now. Either way I don't think I will do the pre-paid crap. I'll just bite the bullet for an extra $1.

I've had Gamefly twice, each time for about a year. The first time I cancelled because Everquest swallowed my soul and I wasn't playing the rented games anymore. The second time I cancelled because I found CAG and started buying way way way too many games that I would have normally rented, so my backlog was so great I felt guilty playing the rented games.

Another $1 a month doesn't seem that bad to me. It's still a good price if you're always looking for the Next Big Thing.

got my email now. IT is somewhat tempting to just pay the full price up front and then not have to worry about it for a year.

cant confirm this but when i called they said

Please allow 2 to 3 days from the time they get your games for the next to be sent

i know they been pushing my games back a day

used to be

They get my games on monday they ship new games on monday

NOW

They get my games on monday they ship my new games Tuesday Or even weds

WHen you complain they say

:: ummmm maybe everyone of your games went to short wait that is why nothing shipped

[quote name='mr ryles']got my email now. IT is somewhat tempting to just pay the full price up front and then not have to worry about it for a year.[/QUOTE]

why pay full year. go with brightspot and it be cheaper every month (well until they fold)

[quote name='slidecage']why pay full year. go with brightspot and it be cheaper every month (well until they fold)[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing with this, that brightspot won't be around much longer.

[quote name='mr ryles']I'm guessing with this, that brightspot won't be around much longer.[/QUOTE]

sadly i think if brightspot folds up , you will see a nice chunk of gamefly customers leave. i know for a fact that i wont pay 23 bucks per month for 2 at a time.

got an email back from brightspot saying ads will run from 10 cents up to 1 buck per ad

most people will see ads running between 25 to 50 cents

Dont expect to see many 1 buck ads though. probally

my Q has been empty once again for 2 weeks

I signed up for that Brightspot.tv deal 2 days ago and I never got confirmation. I contacted their support and nothing. Did any of you guys have a similar experience...I mean did it take a while for you to get your account activated?

I received the Gamefly email stating the price changes. Upfront payment for $220 a year. No thanks. What if they fold before then?

[quote name='unforeseen']What if they fold before then?[/QUOTE]

They'd likely refund you the remainder. If not, tell your credit card company and they'll give you back the funds you didn't receive service.

The prepaid option may end up being better than using BrightSpot considering that Brightspot has not shown me any new ads since their site redesign.

A valid question that I think I already know the answer to: If you prepay Gamefly, do you still have to wait 12 months before you get 10% off used games? Rightfully, the discount should accelerate if you pay in full, since you have pledged 12 months of payments to them, but I bet they'll still make you wait.

[quote name='AlanSaysYo']The prepaid option may end up being better than using BrightSpot considering that Brightspot has not shown me any new ads since their site redesign.

A valid question that I think I already know the answer to: If you prepay Gamefly, do you still have to wait 12 months before you get 10% off used games? Rightfully, the discount should accelerate if you pay in full, since you have pledged 12 months of payments to them, but I bet they'll still make you wait.[/QUOTE]

yes they will still make you wait

why would they give you 20 gamefly bucks and 10% off all games hell you could stay a month and then dispute

[quote name='slidecage']yes they will still make you wait

why would they give you 20 gamefly bucks and 10% off all games hell you could stay a month and then dispute[/QUOTE]

I purposely didn't mention the 20 Gamefly bucks. It makes sense to withhold those because it makes members purchase 3 games at $5 off instead of 1 game at $15 off.

And I truly pity the empty-headed person who would sign up for a full year and do a credit card dispute just so they could get 10% off. The benefit just isn't there.

Gamefly gives you the 10% off as a reward for giving them your business for a year. It shouldn't make a difference whether you pay for that year monthly or all at once. Not only are they still getting your money, they're getting to hold on to your money months before you'd otherwise pay.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Any comments??[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As a valued member, we're giving you the opportunity to lock in a membership discount if you act by June 18th. Save money with one of the pre-paid options below. [/FONT]
spacer.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Discount Pre-Paid Memberships[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12 Months for only $[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18.33[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]/month[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Billed in one installment of $219.95
Save 20% off your 2-Game Plan membership![/FONT]
valuetag_49x45.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6 Months for only $19.50/month[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Billed in one installment of $116.95
Save 15% off your 2-Game Plan membership![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3 Months for only $20.65/month[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Billed in one installment of $61.95
Save 10% off your 2-Game Plan membership![/FONT]

bread's done
Back