@Gamer magazine 9.99/1 yr

Keegs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sorry if this was already posted, but I got an email this morning from Best Buy about some buyback promotion they're starting. If you scroll down in the email, @Gamer magazine is on sale for 9.99 for 10 issues.

Not sure if this is for Premier Silver members only, but check your in-boxes.

UPDATE: Here's the direct link

(Thanks Daz)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Keegs']Sorry if this was already posted, but I got an email this morning from Best Buy about some buyback promotion they're starting. If you scroll down in the email, @Gamer magazine is on sale for 9.99 for 10 issues.

Not sure if this is for Premier Silver members only, but check your in-boxes.[/QUOTE]
What's this, five less for a year? 1 dollar per issue's coupons seems like a better price but I'm still not totaly convinced since the coupons haven't been that great.

[quote name='typical guy']What's this, five less for a year? 1 dollar per issue's coupons seems like a better price but I'm still not totaly convinced since the coupons haven't been that great.[/QUOTE]

It's $10 off the standard price and I think it's a pretty good deal considering if you only use one (or maybe two) coupons, you'd get your money's worth. Really considering it since I was on the fence about buying it for the Batman: GotY coupon in the latest issue but not sure if I subscribed now that I'll get it in time.

[quote name='Sway']It's $10 off the standard price and I think it's a pretty good deal considering if you only use one (or maybe two) coupons, you'd get your money's worth. Really considering it since I was on the fence about buying it for the Batman: GotY coupon in the latest issue but not sure if I subscribed now that I'll get it in time.[/QUOTE]

This makes it tempting for me to buy it but again, the main problem here for me is that I have no guarantee that the register clerk will accept the coupon. These are usually only good when there is a sale and on the coupon it says that they can't be used on sale items. I've also read reports here that people have had problems using them on sales (I've had problem in the past using the old web printing coupons myself). So unless it's a price drop right before the coupon expires, there's no way to be sure you can use it. That's why I hesitate to throw away $10.

hmm, one step closer to the death of print..pretty soon a subscription to all magazines will be this price. I'm usually fine with $10 or $15, but for this magazine? May have to think about it..

The magazine sucks so there is no way I am reading it. $10 for the chance at getting a coupon I would use = not worth it. Hopefully, the mag dies and they go back to put the coupons on Reward Zone Gamer Club.

I'd say the only point of getting this magazine is for the coupons, but I went to BB the other day, and they had a table with games. Each of these games had these coupons cut out and taped to each them. Sadly, none of these games were worth getting, even with the coupons.

[quote name='Lgndryhr']How is one year only 10 issues? There are 12 months in a year.[/QUOTE]

its backwards math! :lol: no really, a lot of publications do that where a couple issues will be for two months, like 'July/August'..I really don't know that many, but Sound & Vision always did that..

[quote name='Sway']It's $10 off the standard price and I think it's a pretty good deal considering if you only use one (or maybe two) coupons, you'd get your money's worth. Really considering it since I was on the fence about buying it for the Batman: GotY coupon in the latest issue but not sure if I subscribed now that I'll get it in time.[/QUOTE]

I'd say two coupons would offset it since you probably wouldn't buy that one game if not for the coupon. The magazine itself is really piss poor.

[quote name='Lgndryhr']How is one year only 10 issues? There are 12 months in a year.[/QUOTE]

Seriously?

You guys are looking at this wrong. With $1,000 worth of coupons yearly, you honestly don't think they'll put something you'll want? I can't imagine this sub not paying for itself over the course of a year. I for one am taking a chance, and will subscribe

[quote name='ssjmichael']You guys are looking at this wrong. With $1,000 worth of coupons yearly, you honestly don't think they'll put something you'll want? I can't imagine this sub not paying for itself over the course of a year. I for one am taking a chance, and will subscribe[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to bet I won't, because all the coupons I've seen are for games that are already half the price BB is selling them for somewhere else. And if by chance it's for new games it'll only be like $5 off, and you get better credit deals at Amazon or Kmart.

Plus, the magazine is a total joke. And since I already subscribe to Playstation Magazine, XBOX Magazine, Game Informer and Nintendo Power...I can't imagine a reason to waste $10 on this piece of trash.

The way I look at it, if they're reducing the price this much, they might be getting desperate, and that could lead to them putting in crazier coupon offers to get people to subscribe. It's only $1 an issue, I've wasted more on useless crap. I'm taking a chance, if it pans out great, if not, it was just $10.

Anyone know how long the coupons are good for btw? I'm wondering if I could resell the ones I'm not interested in before they expire.

[quote name='token2k6']hmm, one step closer to the death of print..pretty soon a subscription to all magazines will be this price.[/QUOTE]

The price of the subscription of most magazines is only a tiny portion of a magazine's revenue. The vast majority is from advertising.

[quote name='daminion']The price of the subscription of most magazines is only a tiny portion of a magazine's revenue. The vast majority is from advertising.[/QUOTE]

And in this case, all the revenue is from the developers paying them to never give worse than an average rating no matter how bad the game is.

Looking at what's currently available, you can get:

Arkham Asylum GOTY for $15
Kane and Lynch 2 - $20
Singularity - $20
AC: Brotherhood - $45, would likely work on the CE too
Kingdom Hearts Re-Coded - $24.99
$10 off any pre-owned game $19.99 or more

Those coupons don't sound that terrible to me. The Arkham Asylum deal is cheaper than anywhere else I've seen, same with re-coded.

%21CEoyjvgBGk%7E$%28KGrHqJ,%21jQE0D4sFn6pBNSeLE7%28qQ%7E%7E_12.JPG

Subscribed, thanks OP. :)

I'm sure I'll be able to use some of the coupons and it never hurts to have more reading material in the bathroom! :lol:

This is such a great article breaking down why the magazine is horrible, and why it's a thumb in the face to gamers.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/gen...shameless-marketing-or-legit-game-mag/429375/

Quoted from the article: I feel like @Gamer is just extremely condescending to gamers and anyone in general that might be in the market for video game paraphernalia. They seem to be under the impression that throwing around a lot of big flashy images and hyperbole is enough to sell whatever they want. Well, here's a newsflash Best Buy, gamers aren't all the low IQ neanderthals that you seem to think they are. Many of them are quite capable of rational thought and they don't take kindly to attempts to manipulate them.

And I'll repeat...you can ALWAYS find the game you want for cheaper after these coupons somewhere else, either new or used. You just have to look around a little.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You guys are looking at this wrong. With $1,000 worth of coupons yearly, you honestly don't think they'll put something you'll want? I can't imagine this sub not paying for itself over the course of a year. I for one am taking a chance, and will subscribe[/QUOTE]

None of their coupons have ever matched Kmarts or Amazons prices.
Plus tax with Best Buy is like an extra $5 for retail games. A "deal" through Best Buy, is like the standard price of a game sold on Amazon.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']And I'll repeat...you can ALWAYS find the game you want for cheaper after these coupons somewhere else, either new or used. You just have to look around a little.[/QUOTE]

Show me where I can get Arkham Asylum GOTY for less than $15. I'd also like to know where to get KH: Re-coded for less $24.99. I'm interested in those two so, and if you say there are deals that are ALWAYS cheaper than BB's coupons, then please show me the deals, preferably for new copies.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']None of their coupons have ever matched Kmarts or Amazons prices.
Plus tax with Best Buy is like an extra $5 for retail games. A "deal" through Best Buy, is like the standard price of a game sold on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Amazon or K-mart has never had Arkham Asylum GOTY for $15 or KH: Re-coded for $24.99 out the door so your statement is already proven wrong.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Show me where I can get Arkham Asylum GOTY for less than $15. I'd also like to know where to get KH: Re-coded for less $24.99. I'm interested in those two so, and if you say there are deals that are ALWAYS cheaper than BB's coupons, then please show me the deals, preferably for new copies.[/QUOTE]

It was $15 for several weeks on Amazon either last month, or in December.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']It was $15 for several weeks on Amazon either last month, or in December.[/QUOTE]

the regular edition, not the GOTY edition.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']GOTY, dude. I remember because I was pissed that I bought the standard version for $15 just a few weeks earlier from them.

Also, only $3 more ($1.50, if you consider tax).
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279251[/QUOTE]

Yes, newegg had it for $17.99, that was the cheapest. I bought the standard for $14.99 from Amazon, and then bought the GOTY from newegg and sold the regular one. So you basically proved the the GOTY was never $15 then.

Even still, let's just say for arguments sake it was $15 for the GOTY, that was a black Friday deal form what I recall. This is just a random month of coupons that has a Black Friday-type deal. How could anyone consider that horrible?

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yes, newegg had it for $17.99, that was the cheapest. I bought the standard for $14.99 from Amazon, and then bought the GOTY from newegg and sold the regular one. So you basically proved the the GOTY was never $15 then.[/QUOTE]

I just said that Amazon had the GOTY for $15 briefly after I bought the standard version for the same price.

Whatever, have fun with your shitty magazine and shitty "deals".

[quote name='mywhitenoise']I just said that Amazon had the GOTY for $15 briefly after I bought the standard version for the same price.

Whatever, have fun with your shitty magazine and shitty "deals".[/QUOTE]

So do you have proof of that? And like I said, even if it was, that was a BF deal, this is a random month deal. I don't really care, based on this sample, I have a good feeling I'll get back my money and more from this magazine :)

[quote name='ssjmichael']Looking at what's currently available, you can get:

Kane and Lynch 2 - $20
Singularity - $20

Those coupons don't sound that terrible to me. The Arkham Asylum deal is cheaper than anywhere else I've seen, same with re-coded.

[/QUOTE]
But the thing is, Kane & Lynch 2 was already $20 at at least ONE place(Gamestop). Unfortunately that price was likely a temp price drop, since the price is back up to the 'standard' $39.99 there again.

But you were also able to get the game for $14.99 with another game from Blockbuster's BOGO recently. So $20 for a new copy if you're buying a single issue of this rag= $26 for a game you could get for half that used by going to BBV. Even though the new price went back up at GS, the used price is still $17.99, so with PUR/EDGE discount that's $16.19 before any tax.

And let's face it, AC: B is a Ubisoft title. You KNOW it's gonna be $19.99 or less within six months.

Singularity is a $14.99(but hard to find) Blockbuster title as well. So that only leaves the $10 off a pre-owned title, KH: Recoded and Arkham Asylum GOTY's coupons.

Depending on who took in the used games you may get a mint/complete game or you might end up with some Gamestop condition one that looks like someone used it as a teething ring for their kid. Plus most of their prices on used games suck worse than GS($40 used for RDR for PS3, when it's $40 NEW).

It seems like since the first couple of issues that the amount of savings from the coupons is going down and it's on games that are overdue for MSRP price drops.

I didn't say all those deals were great, I highlighted the ones I thought were, which were Arkham Asylum and KH: Re-coded. i also said it would be great if you found the CE of Brotherhood for $59.99 at your local store. Many people here bought it at that price, who here would bitch at the potential of getting another $15 off that price?

[quote name='ssjmichael']Show me where I can get Arkham Asylum GOTY for less than $15. I'd also like to know where to get KH: Re-coded for less $24.99. I'm interested in those two so, and if you say there are deals that are ALWAYS cheaper than BB's coupons, then please show me the deals, preferably for new copies.[/QUOTE]
Re:Coded is $22.99 at Kmart this week....

Just tossing that one out there. Plus, both Amazon and Toys R Us (matching Kmart before they had to pull their deal) had release week deals where Re:Coded came with a $15 GC.

[quote name='Altanis']Re:Coded is $22.99 at Kmart this week....

Just tossing that one out there. Plus, both Amazon and Toys R Us (matching Kmart before they had to pull their deal) had release week deals where Re:Coded came with a $15 GC.[/QUOTE]

Excellent, thanks for the info. I rarely check the K-mart thread but I guess I have to more often. I knew about the gc deals, but the BB one didn't involve that. So that's one deal that I highlighted that's cheaper somewhere else. Hopefully I can actually find it at my local k-mart..

Copy Paste from Camel.

PS3

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Batman-Arkham-Asylum-Greatest-Playstation-3/product/B003C1I06U

http://camelbuy.com/product/9927337

http://camelbuy.com/product/9927328

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Batman-Arkham-Asylum-Platinum-Xbox-360/product/B003C1I0CO

http://camelegg.com/product/N82E16874135020

Pretty much solidifies this arguement.

Of course this dont have Kmart or Gamestop.

The interesting note is the lowest this game was used was for the Xbox 360
@ 14.53 Amazon 3rd party

[quote name='ssjmichael']The way I look at it, if they're reducing the price this much, they might be getting desperate, and that could lead to them putting in crazier coupon offers to get people to subscribe. It's only $1 an issue, I've wasted more on useless crap. I'm taking a chance, if it pans out great, if not, it was just $10.

Anyone know how long the coupons are good for btw? I'm wondering if I could resell the ones I'm not interested in before they expire.[/QUOTE]

So far the coupons have been good the month they are issued.
JAN/feb good till Feb 27.

I think if you sub. you will get the mag b4 the coupons are even active
and should have ample time to sell what you dont want.

I don't have a local KMart, I despise Gamespot, and I have to pay tax on both Amazon and Best Buy purchases. And Frys is really far away... almost as bad as Kmart. Really, this leaves me with Amazon and NewEgg as just about the only places where I can buy games. Since I have that BB GamerZone points thing going, and their rewards program, this isn't that bad a deal. I tend to buy a ridiculous amount of games. I am going for it. I will report back if I actually used any of the coupons during the year.

Working at bestbuy during the roll out of this whole @gamer I have to say it would makes far more sense to somehow combine @gamer and RZ Gamer's Club. Attached a fee to make some money but I think 'wishing' for good coupons is what has many people on the fence.

IMO, the content in the magazine is nothing worth reading but I'm sure the same could be said for other publications when they started. Seems to me the reason to buy the magazine is the coupons, not the content and that's why it will drastically changed or die in the near future.

I say combine it with RZGC and charge, let's say $14.99 (seems to work for Gamestop). Split it into two tiers so the people who are already RZGC can stay on their 'free' membership but also have a paid membership which includes the coupons. Don't put the coupons in the magazine but have them show up on the web site and only those with the paid membership can get them. Just let the magazine be a magazine with tons of ads but take out the 'if you check out the coupon in this issue....' crap.

It sounds a lot like the Powerup Rewards but that system seems to work.

I bit. I figure the coupons will pay itself off at some point. Plus more bathroom material because I already read up on the latest Game Informer's issue. Thanks for pointing that out OP.

For $10, I may bite. ONE of the coupons in 10 issues may be worthwhile, and that's all it would take. And the magazine is, as has been said, bathroom reading material. So that's...maybe worth a couple bucks.

I got it for $20 after a few issues & it's paid off $10 is a steal, made my $ back on 3 games -$20 on spiderman SD ($40), -$30 on Hawx 2($20), -$15 on kingdom hearts psp($25) and I think 2 of these came in 1 issue. The KH coupon was available less then 1 month after it released.

The coupons tend to match the sale prices of the competition during that 30 day time period. Basically, if it's a $15-$20 coupon off a $60 game you'll most likely see the game on sale for $40- $45 @ target/kmart/walmart/sears etc. But b/c the coupon doesn't expire for 30 days you don't have to pick up that week. I get paid bi-weekly so this works for me. The $20-$25 coupons off $60-$40 games tend to b on titles that didn't meet sales expectations and may be on there way to a perm. $20 price drop(blur/modnation racers) and the $10 coupon on budget titles that are $20 are probably just to clear out the stock or generate interest on the sequel of that game(assassin's creed)

I've used the coupons from that magazine before and almot got it for $20 subscription. Could never find new copies of the magazine at my best buy, all of theirs seem to be from a previous month and all have expired coupons.

Theres no Kmart anywhere around here, amazon deals are pretty random (and they keep shipping my stuff to the wrong house a state away) and Gamestop is usually out cause i don't like used games and their "new" games aren't usually well discounted.

this is a solid deal, the magazine is essentially an amusing wrapper for the coupons

[quote name='nddave']Copy Paste from Camel.[/QUOTE]
While CCC is great to get a general idea, they don't always catch everything.

I don't follow PS3/360 gaming prices that much, and I am pretty sure that the game in question was $15 at Amazon during Black Friday.

[quote name='Altanis']While CCC is great to get a general idea, they don't always catch everything.

I don't follow PS3/360 gaming prices that much, and I am pretty sure that the game in question was $15 at Amazon during Black Friday.[/QUOTE]

Unless someone can provide actual proof, it was for the regular non-GOTY edition. I was here, during those sales, I didn't see the GOTY for 14.99

Look at these two threads:

DOTD for regular edition for 14.99: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280825&highlight=arkham+asylum

GOTY for 19.99: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282682&highlight=arkham+asylum

If anyone lived within driving distance to a Blockbuster, you could've bought Singularity and Kane and Lynch 2 (certainly this one, ever store had tons) for $7.50 each during their sale. Blockbuster guarantees the games, too.

Bottom line, Best Buy is never the cheapest with or without coupons, ever.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Looking at what's currently available, you can get:

Kane and Lynch 2 - $20
Singularity - $20

[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Bottom line, Best Buy is never the cheapest with or without coupons, ever.[/QUOTE]

The following games say hi

-GT5 CE - $59.99
-AC: Brotherhood CE - $59.99 (or lower with that $15 coupon)
-And no one has verified that Arkham Asylum GOTY has been cheaper than $15
-Weren't X-Blades, Mini Ninjas, Fairytale Fights and many others cheap or damn near free with coupons last year too? They were crap games, but no one had them cheaper is the point

People should really stop talking in absolutes....

bread's done
Back