GamersGate: STALKER Clear Sky $15, Mount & Blade $15, WiC Complete $15

Kurina

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Received an email regarding upcoming sales this week for Gamersgate to celebrate the launch of their redesigned website.

NEW YORK – May 27, 2009 – GamersGate, the leading digital distribution platform for PC games, today announced special discounts this week to commemorate the launch of the new website design and site features.

All week (May 25- 31): Men of War 60% OFF

Wednesday, May 27: Mount & Blade 50% OFF

Thursday, May 28: World in Conflict Complete Edition 50% OFF

Friday, May 29: Sword of the Stars Complete Collection 50% OFF

Game of the Weekend (Thur. - Sun): S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky 50% OFF

World in Conflict will be a great deal tomorrow. Well worth the $15.

So gamersgate is the leading digital distribution platform? Really?

[quote name='jalu6']World in Conflict will be a great deal tomorrow. Well worth the $15.

So gamersgate is the leading digital distribution platform? Really?[/QUOTE]

It may not quite be at the level Steam is, but Gamersgate is pretty high in the digital distribution rankings. It had been around for three years and seems to grow more and more. Over 1000 games I believe and they guarantee you'll never lose a game, even one with limited activations.

Quite a few people do use them at least.

Debating WiC here as well, tried the demo a long time ago and seemed like a pretty solid game. Also wondering if I should finally dive in to Stalker, always been to busy with other games to try it. Any recommendations for the latter?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Oh damn, I've heard good things about WiC, M&B and S:CS. Which do you guys think is the best.[/QUOTE]
I own all three of those games and would recommend them all. But if you're only going to get one, I would pick WIC.

[quote name='mogamer']I own all three of those games and would recommend them all. But if you're only going to get one, I would pick WIC.[/QUOTE]

That's where I was going, though I'm afraid I'm going to buy this and then Steam is going to have some awesome sale and I'll be broke :roll:

Yeah, I'm not in a financial up.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Try out Shadow of Chernobyl on Gametap and if it seems like something you could get in to, try out CS[/QUOTE]

Oh sweet, I didn't realize the older Stalker was on the GameTap freebie section. I'll check it out, thanks! Can at least get a better idea of I would like to invest in Clear Sky or not.

Download the demo of Mount and Blade from the official site, it is the entire game, it only restricts you to level 7.

M&B has a LOT of problems... a terribly designed overworld, kingdom, economy, world map AI, quests. But what it does have is a fun simulation of medieval combat that is only realistic enough to be fun. I would be hesitant to pay more than $10 for it if I were you. The half of the game that IS good is a lot of fun, but it is still half of a good game tacked on to a terrible one. Mods make the experience a bit more interesting, but not a single one of them really changes the game from a pile of decent ideas tacked together into a worthwhile experience.

Don't let me scare you off from at least TRYING it though. What it does well is a lot of fun.

Also, from what I've heard, Stalker Clear Sky has some annoying DRM... which may not be an issue with GamersGate, AND that it is worse than its predecessor because it features even MORE monotonous gun battles with hoardes of bandits. Might be best to stick to SoC.

Clear Sky is a great game, just expect to spend some time tweaking it with mods and settings to get it to run well and look it's best. The enemies in Clear Sky also are just a little bit too accurate with their guns and a little too zealous with their grenades. There's mods to fix that, but not everyone has the patience for that.

There's also an annoying glitch that will crash to desktop sometimes after a load when you're switching zones. I've managed to fix it in my game, and I think it's telling that I'm still loving the game after dealing with all the bugs, but the two stalker games have unparalleled atmosphere and mood.

Stuff like sneaking up on an enemy camp at night with a lighting storm going on and the lighting, and everything is just so good. I like the story better in the original, but Clear Sky is more of an open sandbox type game with missions and I prefer that to SoC's more linear style.

As far as the DRM, it's easy enough to remove on my retail copy - normally it checks for the disc everytime the game loads, but I had that removed.. I picked it up for $10 at GS when they had it on sale.

Can some one help me out? I go to the checkout phase and accidently hit pay with paypal, it won't let me change it so I recheck out and choose a credit card. Then I go to pay it gives me this message:

An error occurred in the payment process
Bad merchant_orderdata
Please refresh this page and try again. If this problem continues, please contact [email protected]

I guess I'll contact tech support but I hope I still get WiC for 15 bucks.

fuck! After the credit card thing wasn't working I got worried I'd be shafted if I didn't do something, so I attatched the card to my paypal. After going through and it charged me, it spit me back to GAmersGate saying "Incorrect order ID"

fuck!

[quote name='vherub']where's the best place to go for good clear sky mods?[/QUOTE]

Just search for STALKER mods.

I think the website "stalkermods.com" is one.

The GSC gameworld website forums are good for finding the best mods too.

Don't use Paynova to pay if you buy from Gamersgate. They treat it as a cash advance and lots of credit cards will tack a fee onto it. I bought Men of War and they tacked a $10 fee. A $12 game turned into a $22 one. I've been trying to get the credit card company to refund me, but they've been refusing so far because it's a valid transaction that I made. Paynova isn't even responding to me.

[quote name='Reikon']Don't use Paynova to pay if you buy from Gamersgate. They treat it as a cash advance and lots of credit cards will tack a fee onto it. I bought Men of War and they tacked a $10 fee. A $12 game turned into a $22 one. I've been trying to get the credit card company to refund me, but they've been refusing so far because it's a valid transaction that I made. Paynova isn't even responding to me.[/QUOTE]

Woah, thanks for the heads up.

Anyhow, after they saw there was a payment, no game in my account and read my email, they threw the game on. All is well!

Bought Clear Sky myself today and have greatly been enjoying it. I haven't played the other Stalker games, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the amount of atmosphere within the game and how it sucked me in.

bread's done
Back