GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='asheskitty']Hmm the new daily is Total War Grand Master Collection @ $41.25 (80% off) I'm really not sure who would buy that at $40. It seems to be a large bind faith jump into the TW series.

Includes:
Empire: Total War
BUY$2.99Empire: Total War™ - Elite Units of America
BUY$2.99Empire: Total War™ - Elite Units of the East
BUY$2.99Empire: Total War™ - Elite Units of West
BUY$2.99Empire: Total War™ - Special Forces Units & Bonus Content
BUY$9.95Empire: Total War™ - The Warpath Campaign
BUY$9.95Medieval 2 Total War Collection
BUY$2.99Napoleon: Total War™ - Coalition Battle Pack
BUY$2.99Napoleon: Total War™ - Imperial Eagle Pack
BUY$9.95Napoleon: Total War™ - The Peninsular Campaign
BUY$14.95Napoleon: Total War™ Imperial Edition
BUY$6.95Rome Total War Alexander
BUY$9.95Rome: Total War Gold Edition
BUY$4.99Total War Battles: Shogun
BUY$29.95Total War SHOGUN 2
BUY$5.99Total War SHOGUN 2 Dragon War Battle Pack
BUY$12.95Total War Shogun 2 E-Guide
BUY$29.95Total War Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai
BUY$4.99Total War Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai The Obama Faction Pack DLC
BUY$4.99Total War Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai The Saga Faction Pack DLC
BUY$4.99Total War Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai The Sendai Faction Pack DLC
BUY$4.99Total War Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai The Tsu Faction Pack DLC
BUY$6.99Total War SHOGUN 2 Rise of the Samurai Campaign
BUY$2.99Total War Shogun 2 Saints and Heroes Unit Pack DLC
BUY$3.25Total War SHOGUN 2 Sengoku Jidai Unit Pack DLC
BUY$4.99Total War SHOGUN 2: The Hattori Clan Pack
BUY$4.99Total War SHOGUN 2: The Ikko Ikki Clan Pack DLC
BUY$4.99Total War: SHOGUN 2 – Otomo Clan Pack DLC
Total War: SHOGUN 2 – Otomo Clan Pack DLC
Viking Battle for Asgard
[/QUOTE]

inb4 they're all in an Amazon bundle for $20, and $10 next January ;)

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Even if you don't get the review in today, it'll be helpful for next time it goes on sale. I assume if it went on sale relatively quickly after being released it should go on sale again at some point this year.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, had family things to do and I only got through the tutorial. It looks interesting if you like lots of options for turn-based fantasy strategy, but it's definitely not for everyone. The game is played on a 2d map with different provinces. There's no tactical element other than setting up your squads (composition and position relative to each other) on the strategic map. Battles are all auto-generated. The economy is limited to gold and "resources" a sort of catch-all for wood, metal, etc.

The main draw seems to be the high degree of customization for the strategic elements. There are like 12 or 13 concepts for nations and three different "ages": early (high magic, low tech), middle (balanced), and late (low magic, high tech). It doesn't look like you evolve during the course of the game, but it's an interesting concept. For example the, analogue to Rome starts out relatively normal, but in the late age it's fallen to evil and wins by pumping out undead.

So, you have a ton of different nations with different play styles, and then you design your "pretender", a powerful being seeking to ascend to godhood. You can be a dragon or giant and run around kicking ass or a pool or statute and just stand there generating magic and "dominion" Dominion is kind of like religious power and belief. It can impose a different reality on provinces - for example, the lizard people prefer "hot" provinces. If their deity has dominion to increase heat, as its power expands the provinces where it holds sway will get hotter and more welcoming to lizard people. Magic is a huge focus also, there are a ton of spells and research options.

The focus is on the calculations and options, so the graphics aren't great. If you like empire building, in the sense of building armies and taking over territories, it's worth a look on sale. However, if you're looking for a fantasy Civilization, this is not it. There are only 3 basic buildings, and so far it seems that success in the game is based on having a coherent strategy ahead of time (based on your nation and pretender) and implementing it.

[quote name='asheskitty']Hmm the new daily is Total War Grand Master Collection @ $41.25 (80% off) I'm really not sure who would buy that at $40. It seems to be a large bind faith jump into the TW series.[/QUOTE]

Greenmangaming had it at this price last week, and a 20% coupon on top of that. Steam had it at this price in the Winter Sale. Amazon may have had a similar sale as well.

From the description, it seems that Gamersgate's version is separate keys, while GMG's and Amazon's were not. However, the earlier games on this Gamersgate package are not Steam.

[quote name='Syntax Error']For 80% off, I'm sure it's a great deal dollar-wise. I think the question was that someone would either be a TW fan and already own many of the titles or else be a TW newbie and that's a $40 package might seem a bit steep for a first step.

But if it worked for you, great. And I'm sure GamersGate is glad as well :D

I had to laugh at the randomness of Viking being in there though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Viking through me off. But it's war? I guess.

From a CAG point a view it might be a bit impractical, but from someone getting into gaming or getting into CAG getting all those games for $40 compared to paying $60 for ONE game probably looks like a real good deal :)

[quote name='CrimsonTribe']
Sorry, had family things to do and I only got through the tutorial. It looks interesting if you like lots of options for turn-based fantasy strategy, but it's definitely not for everyone. The game is played on a 2d map with different provinces. There's no tactical element other than setting up your squads (composition and position relative to each other) on the strategic map. Battles are all auto-generated. The economy is limited to gold and "resources" a sort of catch-all for wood, metal, etc.

The main draw seems to be the high degree of customization for the strategic elements. There are like 12 or 13 concepts for nations and three different "ages": early (high magic, low tech), middle (balanced), and late (low magic, high tech). It doesn't look like you evolve during the course of the game, but it's an interesting concept. For example the, analogue to Rome starts out relatively normal, but in the late age it's fallen to evil and wins by pumping out undead.

So, you have a ton of different nations with different play styles, and then you design your "pretender", a powerful being seeking to ascend to godhood. You can be a dragon or giant and run around kicking ass or a pool or statute and just stand there generating magic and "dominion" Dominion is kind of like religious power and belief. It can impose a different reality on provinces - for example, the lizard people prefer "hot" provinces. If their deity has dominion to increase heat, as its power expands the provinces where it holds sway will get hotter and more welcoming to lizard people. Magic is a huge focus also, there are a ton of spells and research options.

The focus is on the calculations and options, so the graphics aren't great. If you like empire building, in the sense of building armies and taking over territories, it's worth a look on sale. However, if you're looking for a fantasy Civilization, this is not it. There are only 3 basic buildings, and so far it seems that success in the game is based on having a coherent strategy ahead of time (based on your nation and pretender) and implementing it.
[/QUOTE]

No worries, I didn't plan on buying it right away, just was curious for next time. It actually sounds pretty interesting to me. I actually prefer a little less micro management in games like this (I get overwhelmed) so this sounds pretty good to me.

And a word of warning re: Borderlands 2 - I got a "Ran out of keys" error message for the last slot in a four pack just now so they might be out of keys. I believe the backfilled the BL2 keys pretty quickly last time it happened, but just putting it out there.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Yeah, Viking through me off. But it's war? I guess.

From a CAG point a view it might be a bit impractical, but from someone getting into gaming or getting into CAG getting all those games for $40 compared to paying $60 for ONE game probably looks like a real good deal :)

No worries, I didn't plan on buying it right away, just was curious for next time. It actually sounds pretty interesting to me. I actually prefer a little less micro management in games like this (I get overwhelmed) so this sounds pretty good to me.

And a word of warning re: Borderlands 2 - I got a "Ran out of keys" error message for the last slot in a four pack just now so they might be out of keys. I believe the backfilled the BL2 keys pretty quickly last time it happened, but just putting it out there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, next time I buy a game, it's going to be threw another vendor.

;)

I know, right? If you sleep you'd only get the regular deal. If you wait until they flip it you might get Bioshock Infinite for $3.75 or something.

Gamersgate!

[quote name='asheskitty']Jeez, GG daily deal turnover is over two hours late. (UK just entered DST) I want to sleep, but I want m GG daily turnover fix. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Oddly enough I think that is the daily deal. Today's deal is only $25 compared to $40ish yesterday. The packs are different as today is Total War Master collection and yesterday it was Total War Grand Master collection.

[quote name='asheskitty']Jeez, GG daily deal turnover is over two hours late. (UK just entered DST) I want to sleep, but I want m GG daily turnover fix. :lol:[/QUOTE]
They switched from grand master to master.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']I know, right? If you sleep you'd only get the regular deal. If you wait until they flip it you might get Bioshock Infinite for $3.75 or something.

Gamersgate![/QUOTE]

OMG @ if that glitch-deal actually did or will happen. :whistle2:X

[quote name='asheskitty']Hmm the new daily is Total War Grand Master Collection @ $41.25 (80% off) I'm really not sure who would buy that at $40. It seems to be a large bind faith jump into the TW series.

Includes:
Empire: Total War
BUY$2.99Empire: Total War™ - Elite Units of America
BUY$2.99Empire: Total War™ - Elite Units of the East
BUY$2.99Empire: Total War™ - Elite Units of West
BUY$2.99Empire: Total War™ - Special Forces Units & Bonus Content
BUY$9.95Empire: Total War™ - The Warpath Campaign
BUY$9.95Medieval 2 Total War Collection
BUY$2.99Napoleon: Total War™ - Coalition Battle Pack
BUY$2.99Napoleon: Total War™ - Imperial Eagle Pack
BUY$9.95Napoleon: Total War™ - The Peninsular Campaign
BUY$14.95Napoleon: Total War™ Imperial Edition
BUY$6.95Rome Total War Alexander
BUY$9.95Rome: Total War Gold Edition
BUY$4.99Total War Battles: Shogun
BUY$29.95Total War SHOGUN 2
BUY$5.99Total War SHOGUN 2 Dragon War Battle Pack
BUY$12.95Total War Shogun 2 E-Guide
BUY$29.95Total War Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai
BUY$4.99Total War Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai The Obama Faction Pack DLC
BUY$4.99Total War Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai The Saga Faction Pack DLC
BUY$4.99Total War Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai The Sendai Faction Pack DLC
BUY$4.99Total War Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai The Tsu Faction Pack DLC
BUY$6.99Total War SHOGUN 2 Rise of the Samurai Campaign
BUY$2.99Total War Shogun 2 Saints and Heroes Unit Pack DLC
BUY$3.25Total War SHOGUN 2 Sengoku Jidai Unit Pack DLC
BUY$4.99Total War SHOGUN 2: The Hattori Clan Pack
BUY$4.99Total War SHOGUN 2: The Ikko Ikki Clan Pack DLC
BUY$4.99Total War: SHOGUN 2 – Otomo Clan Pack DLC
Total War: SHOGUN 2 – Otomo Clan Pack DLC
Viking Battle for Asgard
[/QUOTE]

And now the daily is the meager TW Master Collection?!

[quote name='asheskitty']I waited up for 3.5 hours for that...

Well today's Daily is Total War Grand Master Collection @ $25.00 (80% off)

Similar to yesterdays's bu lacking all the non-standalone DLC for Shogun 2.

Yesterday's was Total War Grand Master Collection @ $41.25 (80% off)[/QUOTE]

Nope, the standard lacks DLC for all the games, nevertheless, GGs version offers better value than steam's, steam's seem to offer just the basic games of each, unless description is wrong or outdated, which wouldn't be surprising.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/16960/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

More the the point, buying large packs on Steam sucks, since you can't part them out even if you already have the some the games. Buying the big packs from Amazon/GG/GMG/etc usually are individual keys and part-able.

[quote name='asheskitty']More the the point, buying large packs on Steam sucks, since you can't part them out even if you already have the some the games. Buying the big packs from Amazon/GG/GMG/etc usually are single keys and part-able.[/QUOTE]

That's one of the reasons I don't buy on steam games, the other being better offers outside steam.

Then you're not buying these packs since Empire, Napoleon, Shogun 2, & Viking are SteamWorks. Which makes steam VS non-steam a moot point.

Dear father in heaven, please strike down those who would rekindle the Steam VS non-Steam holy wars.

[quote name='asheskitty']More the the point, buying large packs on Steam sucks, since you can't part them out even if you already have the some the games. Buying the big packs from Amazon/GG/GMG/etc usually are individual keys and part-able.[/QUOTE]

From what I recall, when Amazon offered the Grand Master Collection, it was a single key.

[quote name='juanjava']I can't believe I never played ANY Total War game. Have Rome on my Backlog, should check it...[/QUOTE]
Same here. Never played, have Rome.

[quote name='juanjava']I can't believe I never played ANY Total War game. Have Rome on my Backlog, should check it...[/QUOTE]

Same here.
For Total War games - I got Shogun 2; Napoleon; Empire; and Rome (Gold) all from Steam.
I got Medieval 2: Gold from Retail, as well.

EDIT:
My backlog for strategy games must be ridiculous.

Pfft, I have Shogun 1 in my backlog.

I gave Shogun 2 a few hours of play... I hadn't found my happy eye-candy/FPS balance for it on my GTX 260 though.

I used to like Strategy games as a child/teenager, but I just can't get into them like I used to. I think it's partly due to spending a a lot of my professional life optimizing systems/designs/strategies, than in my play-time I'm seeking something else.

...that hasn't stopped me from wanting/buying strategy games though. When it comes to to spending my time with them I get a bigger personal satisfaction payoff spending that time on something real.

I think the game at the top of my strategy backlog is Dawn of War II... or Majesty Gold (even though I did EVERYTHING in that game when I was 12 or so, just not in HD).

Look like the new daily deal is Legend of Grimrock for $3.75 ($3 with Bethesda discount).

Not bad if you missed the Humble Bundle, but you may be able to find it for a bit cheaper in the trade thread. Either way, great game, great price.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Look like the new daily deal is Legend of Grimrock for $3.75 ($3 with Bethesda discount).

Not bad if you missed the Humble Bundle, but you may be able to find it for a bit cheaper in the trade thread. Either way, great game, great price.[/QUOTE]
What's the bethesda discount?

I have absolutely no excuse not to buy this game now.

[quote name='asheskitty']Pfft, I have Shogun 1 in my backlog.

I gave Shogun 2 a few hours of play... I hadn't found my happy eye-candy/FPS balance for it on my GTX 260 though.

I used to like Strategy games as a child/teenager, but I just can't get into them like I used to. I think it's partly due to spending a a lot of my professional life optimizing systems/designs/strategies, than in my play-time I'm seeking something else.

...that hasn't stopped me from wanting/buying strategy games though. When it comes to to spending my time with them I get a bigger personal satisfaction payoff spending that time on something real.[/QUOTE]

I'm a strategy fan too. I had to split my "strategy" category on Steam into: "strategy", "tower defense", "tbs" and "grand strategy"... and "strategy" is still huge

I used to play a lot of RTS games when I was younger... Now I realize I prefer tactic and tbs. I'm playing A LOT of DoW2, CoH, Civ4, Warlock, king's bounty... And started jagged alliance 2 AGAIN :)

[quote name='styl3s']What's the bethesda discount?[/QUOTE]
If you don't know, you likely don't have it. It was a one-year discount given to people who purchased, but did not receive, a particular software bundle from last winter's sale.

[quote name='juanjava']I'm a strategy fan too. I had to split my "strategy" category on Steam into: "strategy", "tower defense", "tbs" and "grand strategy"... and "strategy" is still huge

I used to play a lot of RTS games when I was younger... Now I realize I prefer tactic and tbs. I'm playing A LOT of DoW2, CoH, Civ4, Warlock, king's bounty... And started jagged alliance 2 AGAIN :)[/QUOTE]
Haha, my categories are "Strategy 4X", "Strategy RTS", "Strategy RPGs", "Tower Defense", and "Strategy Hybrid" (for those games that just don't really fit into the other categories, like Dungeons and Space Rangers).

I have a very extensive categorical system...

[quote name='Idiotekque']Haha, my categories are "Strategy 4X", "Strategy RTS", "Strategy RPGs", "Tower Defense", and "Strategy Hybrid" (for those games that just don't really fit into the other categories, like Dungeons and Space Rangers).

I have a very extensive categorical system...[/QUOTE]

I use "strategy" for hybrids... I should stop being lazy

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Syntax Error']If you don't know, you likely don't have it. It was a one-year discount given to people who purchased, but did not receive, a particular software bundle from last winter's sale.[/QUOTE]
Since I missed the BethSoft discount, I'm waiting for the next glitch to get us a long-term discount. ;)

[quote name='sunasun']Bioshock Infinite on sale at Gamersgate for $19.95

season pass
[/QUOTE]

If only the base game for Bs:I was $20....

[quote name='MysterD']If only the base game for Bs:I was $20....[/QUOTE]

I'd still pass. I could have gotten the BS:I preorder w/Xcom:EU & Mafia II for $24*, but passed.

* I think even $22 at one point.

Semantic trickery and poor reading skills made me believe for a brief moment that the BSI Season Pass was on sale and I got excited.

My crushing disappointment now is on all of your heads.

[quote name='asheskitty']I'd still pass. I could have gotten the BS:I preorder w/Xcom:EU & Mafia II for $24*, but passed.

* I think even $22 at one point.[/QUOTE]

I'm a cheapass like many others here, but I have to say, BioShock Infinite was worth every penny (and then some) of the $36 I paid for the pre-order (not to mention the extras that came with it). Irrational deserves the money, IMO.

[quote name='asheskitty']I'd still pass. I could have gotten the BS:I preorder w/Xcom:EU & Mafia II for $24*, but passed.

* I think even $22 at one point.[/QUOTE]

You should've spent the $22 and gifted ALL of that to ME. :p

[quote name='bubzers']I'm a cheapass like many others here, but I have to say, BioShock Infinite was worth every penny (and then some) of the $36 I paid for the pre-order (not to mention the extras that came with it). Irrational deserves the money, IMO.[/QUOTE]

After selling the extra games i paid $22 and had enough bonus blue coins to buy the season pass. Money well spent.

This HoMM sale is stupid. The discounts are crap, and half of it isn't even on sale, even though the newsletter clearly states "During the weekend you save up to 75% on all Might and Magic titles."

Lame.

Resident Evil Revelations is up for pre-order on Gamersgate now, at the moment the 20% Bethesda glitch discount is auto applied to the order.
I pre ordered my copy from the UK website (it's cheaper there by a couple bucks):
http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-RER/resident-evil-revelations
With the 20% discount + 15 597 Blue coins they give back to you for pre ordering, game ended up costing me $21.09. I didn't mind not pre ordering from Steam because the pre order tiers are garbage.

[quote name='stupidproz1']Resident Evil Revelations is up for pre-order on Gamersgate now, at the moment the 20% Bethesda glitch discount is auto applied to the order.
I pre ordered my copy from the UK website (it's cheaper there by a couple bucks):
http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-RER/resident-evil-revelations
With the 20% discount + 15 597 Blue coins they give back to you for pre ordering, game ended up costing me $21.09. I didn't mind not pre ordering from Steam because the pre order tiers are garbage.[/QUOTE]

Was just about to post this too. $21 is a great price since that is how much the 3DS version goes for and the Steam bonuses are garbage.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Hm... tempting.[/QUOTE]

Yea this game is definitely one I intend on playing as soon as it comes out, just like Bioshock Infinite.

[quote name='seamoss']Y'all probably already know about this, but there's been a few free games on GG for a while. Click on the Games tab and sort by Best Price.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if anybody doesn't have them there are a few. I find it convenient to have Dead Meets Lead tied to my GG account. I posted Bloom because it was under the new releases list so I figured it was new. I haven't been able to find much about it online though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back