GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Eldredpe']GOG would need to because their games are coming from often defunct publishers.

Who's going to write the synopsis if they don't?[/QUOTE]

With the internet I suspect they could find box art for most games and just get it there, but I'm sure they were probably afraid of any legal liabilities if they did that given how often the IP of some of these games may have changed hands.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']With the internet I suspect they could find box art for most games and just get it there, but I'm sure they were probably afraid of any legal liabilities if they did that given how often the IP of some of these games may have changed hands.[/QUOTE]

I'd also imagine that box descriptions of 20 year old games don't quite hold up for people reading them today. GOG descriptions need to inform the customers what it is exactly that they're getting themselves into.

[quote name='Eldredpe']GOG would need to because their games are coming from often defunct publishers.

Who's going to write the synopsis if they don't?[/QUOTE]

This! And more!

GOG isn't just a reseller. They work to patch up old games to work on modern systems. They take care in curating the soundtracks, manuals, paraphenellia (e.g. Fallout Bible), artwork, wallpapers, avatars, castrating DRM, etc. In approaching their business in this manner, they've earned a dedicated fanbase of GOG-heads. This adds up to the "GOG Advantage" of owning your games on GOG.

They also write many longer pieces, such as this Fallout Retrospective.

To ignore all of this is to deny what GOG is.

However us CAGs are likely to be swayed to cheap bundles of GOG versions, such as the D&D Master Collection, forsaking the soundtracks, support, and feelies to save a few bucks. :mrgreen:

[quote name='asheskitty']This! And more!

GOG isn't just a reseller. They work to patch up old games to work on modern systems. They take care in curating the soundtracks, manuals, paraphenellia (e.g. Fallout Bible), artwork, wallpapers, avatars, castrating DRM, etc. In approaching their business in this manner, they've earned a dedicated fanbase of GOG-heads. This adds up to the "GOG Advantage" of owning your games on GOG.

They also write many longer pieces, such as this Fallout Retrospective.

To ignore all of this is to deny what GOG is.

However us CAGs are likely to be swayed to cheap bundles of GOG versions, such as the D&D Master Collection, forsaking the soundtracks, support, and feelies to save a few bucks. :mrgreen:
[/QUOTE]
Pshh, I have 90% of the D&D games on GOG.

[quote name='Daykain']New deals are up with new collections where some are a little cheaper than seen before.

Legacy of Kain collection $4.50 (75% off)
[/QUOTE]

I've heard a lot of good things about the Legacy of Kain games. Do they still hold up after all this time?

[quote name='Idiotekque']I don't even know what you're saying. All I said was that you can mod the original BG to be better than the EE version (since afaik there are no mods for EE). So unless you're lazy and don't feel like modding the original (not that difficult, just a little time consuming), there's no reason at all to have EE. The mods change out the engine, link BG 1 and 2 together, fix bugs, restore content, etc etc.

I wasn't saying anything against the game itself. I have the original modded and I've enjoyed it so far (though it does have a learning curve).

[/QUOTE]

What I'm saying is that I disagree with your statement that it's utterly pointless to buy the EE (especially at a nice 50-75% MSRP). The EE does have some content that is not available in the base game or freely-available mods (although I can't personally speak to the value of The Black Pits just yet). Additionally, I suppose you can call it lazy but I've reached a point in my life where I don't feel that it's worth fighting with old games to get them to run properly on new systems and it's not easy to tell by looking whether you're going to have to do this (with games as old as these, it's usually inevitable). That's why I like GOG releases and why I appreciate EA's C&C Ultimate Collection.

Also there is some part of me that hopes Beamdog/Overhaul might secure the rights to create a spiritual successor of sorts to this series if these re-releases do well enough. I'm really interested in what inXile is doing with Wasteland and its original IP, but I wouldn't mind a return trip to an isometric, hand-drawn Faerun.

[quote name='warreni']What I'm saying is that I disagree with your statement that it's utterly pointless to buy the EE (especially at a nice 50-75% MSRP). The EE does have some content that is not available in the base game or freely-available mods (although I can't personally speak to the value of The Black Pits just yet). Additionally, I suppose you can call it lazy but I've reached a point in my life where I don't feel that it's worth fighting with old games to get them to run properly on new systems and it's not easy to tell by looking whether you're going to have to do this (with games as old as these, it's usually inevitable). That's why I like GOG releases and why I appreciate EA's C&C Ultimate Collection.

Also there is some part of me that hopes Beamdog/Overhaul might secure the rights to create a spiritual successor of sorts to this series if these re-releases do well enough. I'm really interested in what inXile is doing with Wasteland and its original IP, but I wouldn't mind a return trip to an isometric, hand-drawn Faerun.[/QUOTE]
Well, I was talking about the GOG version of BG original. It runs perfectly fine on new systems and I'm fairly certain the mods restore content that was originally supposed to be in the game (and then some). What does EE have? Stuff that they added recently? Because I have very little faith in modern Bioware writing.

But I understand where you're coming from.

Grabbed to Tomb Raider bundle for $30, although after booting up TRII, I'm beginning to think I should have just bought the new TR. Nostalgia strikes again ...

[quote name='Idiotekque']Well, I was talking about the GOG version of BG original. It runs perfectly fine on new systems and I'm fairly certain the mods restore content that was originally supposed to be in the game (and then some). What does EE have? Stuff that they added recently? Because I have very little faith in modern Bioware writing.[/QUOTE]

It does have stuff that was added newly with the EE, like new companions. It's stuff added in by Overhaul/Beamdog, who were formed from ex-Bioware staff. I have no idea how good any of the new stuff is though, it might be awful.

I'm thinking about buying the D&D Anthology Master Collection... I already have it on Gamestop, but I hate I can't make backups of the installers (my first and LAST purchase from Gamestop). I already have BG2 and Planescape on GOG too. I'm between buying from GG or wait for a good GOG bundle. I'm towards GOG, because the goodies and supporting GOG

Yep, I have the D&D Anthology from GG (~$7 in Feb 2012), I can certainly understand your desires. Th GG version is $6 right now, under $5 for 20%ers. You'll only manage to pick up 2.5 of the games on GOG for that price, but they will come with all the GOG feelies and access to any GOG updates, for considerably more $$$.

When I pointed out the GS deal a few months back, I didn't realize the extra wrench that GS threw in. Learning from that, I'm loath to mention any GS deal that isn't a Steam or Origin key.

[quote name='asheskitty']Yep, I have the D&D Anthology from GG (~$7 in Feb 2012), I can certainly understand your desires. Th GG version is $6 right now, under $5 for 20%ers. You'll only manage to pick up 2.5 of the games on GOG for that price, but they will come with all the GOG feelies and access to any GOG updates, for considerably more $$$.

When I pointed out the GS deal a few months back, I didn't realize the extra wrench that GS threw in. Learning from that, I'm loath to mention any GS deal that isn't a Steam or Origin key.[/QUOTE]

What is this "extra wrench" you speak of? Considering the D&D Anthology deal (even though I don't have the 20% discount and am still peeved about that 15% IGN discount that was taken away from my account).

The Collection is DRM Free as far as I understand but still wavering b/c I feel GS deals are slightly adjust to compensate those with the 20% discount.

[quote name='asheskitty']Yep, I have the D&D Anthology from GG (~$7 in Feb 2012), I can certainly understand your desires. Th GG version is $6 right now, under $5 for 20%ers. You'll only manage to pick up 2.5 of the games on GOG for that price, but they will come with all the GOG feelies and access to any GOG updates, for considerably more $$$.

When I pointed out the GS deal a few months back, I didn't realize the extra wrench that GS threw in. Learning from that, I'm loath to mention any GS deal that isn't a Steam or Origin key.[/QUOTE]

Is the extra wrench GS threw in DRM?
Or that back-up "Archives" are OS-specific on GS PC App?
Or...ummm...both?
Or...something else?

[quote name='voken']What is this "extra wrench" you speak of? Considering the D&D Anthology deal (even though I don't have the 20% discount and am still peeved about that 15% IGN discount that was taken away from my account).

The Collection is DRM Free as far as I understand but still wavering b/c I feel GS deals are slightly adjust to compensate those with the 20% discount.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the pain of losing my 15% IGN discount wasn't relieved until I received my 20% fuck-up discount.

The D&D Anthology from GG is a good deal. They are the GOG versions of the games. No DRM, Downloadable installer you can burn to CD/DVD/UUencode & print.

The "extra wrench" in with download games from gamestop is that your installer backup is OS-specific. (I don't have any of these, so my description is limited.) The D&D games from GS didn't have any extra DRM. This is unlike buying normal downloadable games from GG/GF/D2D/Origin (that don't use Origin DRM, e.g. older or non-EA games such as NFS ProStreet) where if you save your installer and serial code, you are safe even if the site you bought it from goes out of business.

My first Digital Download purchase was on D2D, where the CD/DVD iso image + serial number was quite understandable to me. Just like buying a retail version with out the plastic and cardboard (and of course at a good price)... and when I was done with a game, I could give it to a friend* -- unlike Steam/Origin/Uplay versions.

*don't bother arguing with me over this point. I've given lots of games I beat/got sick of to friends & received a similar number. Console peasants do this all the time, often with GS taking a healthy cut for themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='asheskitty']Thanks for highlighting that![/QUOTE]

One good turn deserves another. Your post over in the GMG thread pointing out that the new steam bundle for Tomb Raider will be $17.50 when it it 75% off (which it almost certainly will be during the Summer Sale) stopped me from pulling the trigger on the TR classics bundle. The games were just gonna sit in my backlog anyway. So why not wait until I can get the whole enchilada for a little more?

FWIW BG:EE on Steam is patched up to current. There was a little bit of a delay at first when the game first posted for it to get what was the latest patch then but it was soon resolved and they've been patching it. There really shouldn't be an issue there.

Also re: BG on a Tablet. If you don't want to go the iPad route and have an Android tablet you can use GemRB to get it running, though you do have to do a little configuring to get it set up. Not sure if it works with the EE but it does work with the regular version.

[quote name='Motoki']FWIW BG:EE on Steam is patched up to current. There was a little bit of a delay at first when the game first posted for it to get what was the latest patch then but it was soon resolved and they've been patching it. There really shouldn't be an issue there.

Also re: BG on a Tablet. If you don't want to go the iPad route and have an Android tablet you can use GemRB to get it running, though you do have to do a little configuring to get it set up. Not sure if it works with the EE but it does work with the regular version.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Thanks Motoki!!!

~lowly Nexus 7 owner*

*I have a MBA so I prefer the 7" tablet size. I've owned it since before that nice, but pricey and low-rez iPud mini was introduced.

[quote name='Motoki']FWIW BG:EE on Steam is patched up to current. There was a little bit of a delay at first when the game first posted for it to get what was the latest patch then but it was soon resolved and they've been patching it. There really shouldn't be an issue there.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info!

The Gamestop price on the D&D Anthology was too hard to resist. I think it was less than $5, and are the same GOG version too. I've decided not to buy the GG collection, because I won't play those games yet, and if I decide to play it, I'll play the GS version, there is nothing wrong with it.

If for some reason GS goes out of business, THEN I'll buy a new collection from GG or GOG. I should stop being so picky

[quote name='Jon7']It does have stuff that was added newly with the EE, like new companions. It's stuff added in by Overhaul/Beamdog, who were formed from ex-Bioware staff. I have no idea how good any of the new stuff is though, it might be awful.[/QUOTE]

After reading this article at Gamasutra. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/190432/postmortem_overhaul_games_.php I am sad for the whole project. They really could have had something there I think.

But I won't be buying Enhanced Edition. I'll just muddle my way through the Big World Project installer until I get it to finish successfully. :)

[quote name='tfr']FFXI ultimate collection is $20. $16 with 20% off. monthly fee kills though.[/QUOTE]

It was $5 for the Ultimate Collection last week during a daily deal.

Anyone have thoughts on the Kingdoms of Amalur collection? Is this the cheapest the game+DLC has been? Thinking of picking it up for the $9.00...

[quote name='GreatDoink']Anyone have thoughts on the Kingdoms of Amalur collection? Is this the cheapest the game+DLC has been? Thinking of picking it up for the $9.00...[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure it was $8 on Amazon with the $5 off coupon this January, but if you get someone with the 20% discount to buy it for you here, it's around $7.50, which is the cheapest it's ever been.

I picked up the game (with DLC) for $12 awhile ago, and I have no regrets. I love the game.

fuck yeah, Magica is a Spring Seal daily

...also Hotline Miami is $5, it's starting to feel like a real sale
:lol:

also, /agree with Idiot on KoA and I picked it up complete for $16 (well that was before IGN, blue coins, and maybe a double stacked eldergeek).

[quote name='GreatDoink']Anyone have thoughts on the Kingdoms of Amalur collection? Is this the cheapest the game+DLC has been? Thinking of picking it up for the $9.00...[/QUOTE]

Oh, it's EASILY worth that.

I spent like 72 hours on the base game, not counting the DLC. Base-game was pretty good, IMHO. The main quest is good. The side-quests - they can vary and be all over the place; some is okay, some is good, some is really good. If you like ARPG's (kill X enemies, find X locations, find X items, leveling up, always finding and upgrading loot, etc), you'll like it -- since there's A LOT of that. The combat's awesome w/ the game-pad; it's better than most games in the combat department, if you ask me - and one of the real draws of this game. Its combat puts games like Skyrim (and their clunkiness) to shame, honestly. Though, questing, for the most part, is nowhere as great as Skyrim; not even close.

I spent about 10 hours w/ Dead Kel DLC - and it's one of the best DLC's I've ever played. A lot more care, character, personality, humor, love, and story-emphasis seemed to be put into this DLC; especially when compared to what the base game offered.

I ain't touched Teeths of Naros DLC yet, even though I do have it.

My biggest complaint w/ KOA: Reckoning is this - the game's just EASY, out-the-box.
Even though I ain't tried this mod - you might want to find the HeartCore Mod, if you want some difficulty to the game, as it's said that it makes the game much more difficult.

For the hours of entertainment you can get, $9 is definitely worth it.
But I spent 20 hours in Teeths of Naros DLC before starting the base game, and think I am overpowered for the rest of the game.
This game started out as an mmo, but later removed all online aspect due to lack of funds, so the quests are very mmorpg alike.

[quote name='tfr']For the hours of entertainment you can get, $9 is definitely worth it.
But I spent 20 hours in Teeths of Naros DLC before starting the base game, and think I am overpowered for the rest of the game.
This game started out as an mmo, but later removed all online aspect due to lack of funds, so the quests are very mmorpg alike.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...I don't remember Ascendent (the game Big Huge Games Baltimore was working on w/ THQ) starting out as a MMO....

I know BHG Baltimore morphed Ascendent to work into the KOA IP, once Schilling bought BHG Baltimore out.

38 Studios (Schilling's studio that went from Maynard, MA to then infamously to Rhode Island) was working on a very little known Amalur MMO (AKA Project Copernicus) for 5 1/2 years or so...and never finished it.

Also, BHG Baltimore said that 38 Studios had very little to do w/ KOA: Reckoning.
Former BHG employees repeatedly tell Joystiq that 38 Rhode Island did give info and guidance about the Amalur IP, but it didn't produce any assets for Reckoning. In terms of the day-to-day work, the Rhode Island team "didn't work on it at all."

"Reckoning was developed with EA publishing money, NOT Rhode Island tax dollars," a former BHG employee told us. "It had nothing to do with the $50 million dollars from RI. That money went directly to the MMO project."

^ That's how it went. Schilling was an MMO junkie who wanted his own MMO. Unfortunately he had absolutely no idea how to run a business.

[quote name='MysterD']Hmmm...I don't remember Ascendent (the game Big Huge Games Baltimore was working on w/ THQ) starting out as a MMO....

I know BHG Baltimore morphed Ascendent to work into the KOA IP, once Schilling bought BHG Baltimore out.

38 Studios (Schilling's studio that went from Maynard, MA to then infamously to Rhode Island) was working on a very little known Amalur MMO (AKA Project Copernicus) for 5 1/2 years or so...and never finished it.

Also, BHG Baltimore said that 38 Studios had very little to do w/ KOA: Reckoning.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember where I read that. Must be one of those wikis. :lol:

You should only be overpowered for the areas you've been in. Areas get their leveling data off what your level was when you first entered. So if you beelined it to Naros, the 3 or so areas you need to have gone through to get there are the only ones that should be underleveled.

[quote name='MysterD']Oh, it's EASILY worth that.

I spent like 72 hours on the base game, not counting the DLC. Base-game was pretty good, IMHO. The main quest is good. The side-quests - they can vary and be all over the place; some is okay, some is good, some is really good. If you like ARPG's (kill X enemies, find X locations, find X items, leveling up, always finding and upgrading loot, etc), you'll like it -- since there's A LOT of that. The combat's awesome w/ the game-pad; it's better than most games in the combat department, if you ask me - and one of the real draws of this game. Its combat puts games like Skyrim (and their clunkiness) to shame, honestly. Though, questing, for the most part, is nowhere as great as Skyrim; not even close.

I spent about 10 hours w/ Dead Kel DLC - and it's one of the best DLC's I've ever played. A lot more care, character, personality, humor, love, and story-emphasis seemed to be put into this DLC; especially when compared to what the base game offered.

I ain't touched Teeths of Naros DLC yet, even though I do have it.

My biggest complaint w/ KOA: Reckoning is this - the game's just EASY, out-the-box.
Even though I ain't tried this mod - you might want to find the HeartCore Mod, if you want some difficulty to the game, as it's said that it makes the game much more difficult.[/QUOTE]
Eh, I'd actually say KoA has MUCH better questing than Skyrim. It's focused, you actually have a reason to be doing the things you're doing, and your quests have direction. Skyrim excels at being game where you can just close your eyes, spin around in a circle, stop, and go on an adventure in that direction.

And I didn't find the game super easy, just don't play it on normal mode. Hard mode is fairly challenging, but I hear if you level up your magic and spam it things get ridiculously easy. That and the areas locking to your level thing. If all else fails, install the HeartCore mod. Problem solved.

Crap, they must have run out or something because now I can't seem to find it :(. Work late one night and miss the deal... oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be.

EDIT: Or not... somehow I got into the European side of the site where the deal wasn't there... yey! Thanks for the advice everyone - going to pick it up!

Now here is the next question.

Controller on this game: Yay or Nay?

[quote name='Corpekata']Torchlight 2 is a daily for 7 bucks. 4 pack for 20. Steam keys. Fairly certain this is the best price on it yet.[/QUOTE]
It is.

[quote name='Corpekata']Torchlight 2 is a daily for 7 bucks. 4 pack for 20. Steam keys. Fairly certain this is the best price on it yet.[/QUOTE]

I have the 20 percent discount, which would bring it down to just over $4 per copy. I already own the game, but wouldn't mind hosting a pack if you need someone with the discount

TL2 4-pack is $16.28 for a 20%er, $5.42 solo. I'm looking to pick up yet another TL2 key, I'm curious if there's much interest in splitting a 4-pack. (I'm guessing not.)

[quote name='asheskitty']TL2 4-pack is $16.28 for a 20%er, $5.42 solo. I'm looking to pick up yet another TL2 key, I'm curious if there's much interest in splitting a 4-pack. (I'm guessing not.)[/QUOTE]
$4.07 a copy, nice.

[quote name='asheskitty']TL2 4-pack is $16.28 for a 20%er, $5.42 solo. I'm looking to pick up yet another TL2 key, I'm curious if there's much interest in splitting a 4-pack. (I'm guessing not.)[/QUOTE]

i'll jump in on a 4-pack, if it comes to fruition :bouncy:

I don't need TL2, but I can buy a 4-pack with the 20% discount and gift out all the copies. PM me if you're interested. It looks like three of you have expressed interest in the thread, so I'll shoot you all a PM, and that would leave one spot open.

This isn't really the trade thread but I'll say I'm interested in a copy of TL2 as well. I've been waiting for this price on the game.
Edit: Got one!

Finally a good deal for TL2. Bought a 4 pack. Anyone who wants a copy please pm me. I will reply instantly till 4pm PST. I will update this post when they are all gone.

EDIT: All GONE. (I can get more if people really need it but other people on the thread are still offering discount copies.)

Wow stronger response than I expected! =)

I already got the key I needed.

Just fyi, I'm a 20%er, but I can't accept paypal (Amazon giftcards ftw! lol)

[quote name='asheskitty']Wow stronger response than I expected! =)

I already got the key I needed.

Just fyi, I'm a 20%er, but I can't accept paypal (Amazon giftcards ftw! lol)[/QUOTE]

Yup. I sold all the extras I had in less then 2 hours.

Torchlight 2 is awesome.
Can't go wrong w/ Runic (AKA some of the Ex-Blizzard Diablo 1 and 2 employees).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back