GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='sunghost']Can anyone confirm that the GamersGate version of X-Superbox redeems on Steam?[/QUOTE]

The individual games are listed as DRM free, so I'm guessing no. Furthermore, steam does NOT list superbox as retail key steam-redeemable

Yes it does redeem on Steam. Gives you the entire X-Superbox. There's also a DRM-free version to download from GamersGate itself.

[quote name='dark2025']Yes it does redeem on Steam. Gives you the entire X-Superbox. There's also a DRM-free version to download from GamersGate itself.[/QUOTE]

My bad then :cry:

[quote name='dark2025']Yes it does redeem on Steam. Gives you the entire X-Superbox. There's also a DRM-free version to download from GamersGate itself.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I guess you can't beat having both DRM-free and a Steam copy.

[quote name='Larce80'][/B][/U]anyone else seeing these?
fake sales?
[/QUOTE]
Clearly someone there is trying to game steamgifts ^_~

[quote name='Motoki']Meh I guess I will have to pass on this game again unless someone can confirm the Tages has been or can be removed from the digital download version.[/QUOTE]

From poking around, that seems to be completely correct. Dead-Dino edition can be had on Amazon Market for $11.25 import. Gold NA-release seems to be sold out.

Oh thanks for the confirmation... damnit, now I'm considering it.

Can anybody confirm that the King Arthur Collection on GG (currently $8.98) is the same as the King Arthur Collection listed on Steam? I can see that it is Steamworks...but GG says the list price is $14.99 whereas Steam has this for $49.99. Seems like a FANTASTIC deal if it is indeed the same item.

[quote name='DarthVicious82']Can anybody confirm that the King Arthur Collection on GG (currently $8.98) is the same as the King Arthur Collection listed on Steam? I can see that it is Steamworks...but GG says the list price is $14.99 whereas Steam has this for $49.99. Seems like a FANTASTIC deal if it is indeed the same item.[/QUOTE]

I was tempted to buy it just to see what it was. But since I already own King Arthur I, the temptation just isn't as strong.

Edit:

Most likely it is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Paradox-Inter...878262&sr=8-1&keywords=king+arthur+collection

Which is King Arthur I and two expansions. I know this particular collection is not on steam, but it may still be in the registry as the retail version of the KAI collection was steamworks.

re: Anno 1404 Gold/Dawn of Discovery Gold

[quote name='asheskitty']From poking around, that seems to be completely correct. Dead-Dino edition can be had on Amazon Market for $11.25 import. Gold NA-release seems to be sold out.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I might just break down and get a retail box even though I almost never do that these days outside of the odd collector's edition.

Not being on Steam plus the Tages DRM on the DD is making retail look like the best option at this point.

So what should I choose the X-superbox or Armada 2526 supernova? Both seem to be the same Price. I know little about either, but I have been itching for a space strategy game to play!

The X series are very very deep 4x games -- make sure it's the type of thing you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfxS5xEKI8s

Yea... I lasted 1:30 in the video. :) I have a job that makes me feel like I accomplish things... don't need to do it for fun. hehe

All that being said, I certainly did think about buying this. The value will be out the roof.

[quote name='DarthVicious82']Can anybody confirm that the King Arthur Collection on GG (currently $8.98) is the same as the King Arthur Collection listed on Steam? I can see that it is Steamworks...but GG says the list price is $14.99 whereas Steam has this for $49.99. Seems like a FANTASTIC deal if it is indeed the same item.[/QUOTE]

I goofed and bought this, now I have 2 copies of KA I and its DLC on my account which install in different folders. This was very confusing but the King Arthur collection from GG does not include King Arthur II and its DLC. It is a collection that is no longer sold on Steam with this id http://store.steampowered.com/app/24470/ based on checking the windows registry. The new collection is http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13921/ which does include KA II.

The Sega MegaDrive Genesis Classic Collections 2 ($2.25) and 3 (&7.49) are on sale right now. Not sure if those are good prices but I didn't see them mentioned yet. Clicking on random titles shows that they are DRM free.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-SEGA2/megadrive-genesis-classic-collection-2-bundle
http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-SEGA3/megadrive-genesis-classic-collection-3-bundle

Also, I seem to be noticing more alpha game releases on various gaming sites like Desura, GMG and GG (I think). Is this common and I am just not very observant?

[quote name='Palinn']The Sega MegaDrive Genesis Classic Collections 2 ($2.25) and 3 (&7.49) are on sale right now. Not sure if those are good prices but I didn't see them mentioned yet. Clicking on random titles shows that they are DRM free.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-SEGA2/megadrive-genesis-classic-collection-2-bundle
http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-SEGA3/megadrive-genesis-classic-collection-3-bundle

Also, I seem to be noticing more alpha game releases on various gaming sites like Desura, GMG and GG (I think). Is this common and I am just not very observant?[/QUOTE]

Last night when the prices flipped I thought I saw them both for $2.25. I know amazon has had bundles with four sega collections in it for like 10-12 bucks I think so you might want to wait for those.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Last night when the prices flipped I thought I saw them both for $2.25. I know amazon has had bundles with four sega collections in it for like 10-12 bucks I think so you might want to wait for those.[/QUOTE]

Looks like I have the prices backwards. Thanks for the Amazon suggestion. I haven't been reading that thread lately and didn't think to search there.

[quote name='Daykain']I goofed and bought this, now I have 2 copies of KA I and its DLC on my account which install in different folders. This was very confusing but the King Arthur collection from GG does not include King Arthur II and its DLC. It is a collection that is no longer sold on Steam with this id http://store.steampowered.com/app/24470/ based on checking the windows registry. The new collection is http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13921/ which does include KA II.[/QUOTE]

Sorry it had to be a goof that led to this discovery but thank you so much for sharing. I actually bought it too and was going to activate it at home this evening to see for myself. Now that I see for sure it's just KAI and the DLC I think I'll ask GG for a refund (haven't revealed key yet). I'll wait for a good Steam sale on the full bundle with KAI and II. My backlog is too massive anyway.

[quote name='sunghost']Thanks! I guess you can't beat having both DRM-free and a Steam copy.[/QUOTE]

I agree w/ that! :)
I wish more game companies would offer-up BOTH versions (DRM-FREE + Steam version key) to their gamers in one package.

Also, about X3: Albion - there is no DRM-FREE version of that on GG, right?
It looks like you have to redeem X Superbox from GG onto Steam to get X3: Albion.

I already own X3: Albion on Steam, BTW.
And X2: The Threat from Steam; X3: Reunion (from Retail); and X3: Terran (from Retail + that key activates on Steam).

Also, did anybody ever release any mods for X: Beyond The Frontier, X-Tension, and X2: The Threat to allow for re-mapping your control configuration?

I know X3: Reunion was the FIRST EgoSoft X game to allow control re-mapping officially.

[quote name='MysterD']Also, did anybody ever release any mods for X: Beyond The Frontier, X-Tension, and X2: The Threat to allow for re-mapping your control configuration?

I know X3: Reunion was the FIRST EgoSoft X game to allow control re-mapping officially.[/QUOTE]
I'm wondering the same thing. Since you can apparently download the games DRM free, I'm trying to do that right now. Going to fire up the first game on my crappy computer and see if it plays; would be nice to be able to map controls.

For someone who's never played the X series, is starting at the first one generally the way to go?

[quote name='Idiotekque']I'm wondering the same thing. Since you can apparently download the games DRM free, I'm trying to do that right now. Going to fire up the first game on my crappy computer and see if it plays; would be nice to be able to map controls.

For someone who's never played the X series, is starting at the first one generally the way to go?[/QUOTE]

I began myself w/ X3: Reunion.
I never really finished any of the X games, honestly.

But, the user interface got TONS better w/ X3: Terran.

EDIT:
I never really played much of X2: The Threat b/c you CANNOT re-map controls.
That's why I'm wondering if there are any mods out there for X2 and the even older X1 games.
I never played and do not have both X: Beyond The Fronteir and X-Tension.

[quote name='MysterD']I began myself w/ X3: Reunion.
I never really finished any of the X games, honestly.

But, the user interface got TONS better w/ X3: Terran.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'd play one of the newer ones, but I'm pretty sure my computer wouldn't be able to handle them very well. Here I am setting the graphics down on Titan Quest to give my computer chance to keep up. >_<

I watched some gameplay on the first one though, so I guess I'll try that. It doesn't look as dated as I expected.

Well, tried installing X3 and I keep coming back with a "missing zlib1.dll" error. Sounds like lots of people have it, and they all are people who are trying to pirate the game. Apparently the entire "zlib" thing has to do with having the CD, but since this is a "DRM free" digital download, I don't understand what that's all about. No matter where I look, I really can't find any kind of fix for the problem.

I've downloaded the entire "zlib" package or something on sourceforge, but I don't know what I'm gonna do with it. Just gonna grab the zlib1.dll if I can find it, stick it in the X3 file, and see what happens. I also installed all the latest patches for the game, so I know I haven't done anything wrong.

I'm sure it runs fine on Steam, but the DRM free version is a pain in the ass thus far. At least the first game works fine.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI is one of the dailies today at 66% off for $6.78 ($5.76 with the IGN discount).

I think I might grab it grabbed it. I vastly prefer having games on Steam but this one isn't on there. I used to really like the old RotTK games years ago on Nintendo and this one has reviewed well. I didn't even realize these were available for the PC or that they were translating them to English.

According to Deals4Downloads, the cheapest it has been is this price on December 21, 2010 so doesn't seem like it goes on sale much.

[quote name='Motoki']Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI is one of the dailies today at 66% off for $6.78 ($5.76 with the IGN discount).

I think I might grab it grabbed it. I vastly prefer having games on Steam but this one isn't on there. I used to really like the old RotTK games years ago on Nintendo and this one has reviewed well. I didn't even realize these were available for the PC or that they were translating them to English.

According to Deals4Downloads, the cheapest it has been is this price on December 21, 2010 so doesn't seem like it goes on sale much.[/QUOTE]

Its published by Koei who like many Japanese companies (looking at Capcom and Square-Enix) can be stingy with discounts. Romance of the Three Kingdoms (BTW: the decades of movies, TV shows, and books based on the history is better than the game :lol: ) is tempting but wish it was slightly cheaper especially when I consider it to be like Madden or Call of Duty in which there is a new sequel almost yearly.

But yeah, if you like Tactic games (like King's bounty) with a bit of Chinese history, RotTK is great. Just have too much in my backlog now and my wallet is still recovering from Steam Sale.

[quote name='Motoki']Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI is one of the dailies today at 66% off for $6.78 ($5.76 with the IGN discount).

According to Deals4Downloads, the cheapest it has been is this price on December 21, 2010 so doesn't seem like it goes on sale much.[/QUOTE]

I was shocked when I saw this. I really enjoyed, uhhh I think it was, 3 on the old NES. I had no idea it was a series. Wow, there's even a Nobunaga's Ambition series

[quote name='Idiotekque']I've downloaded the entire "zlib" package or something on sourceforge, but I don't know what I'm gonna do with it. Just gonna grab the zlib1.dll if I can find it, stick it in the X3 file, and see what happens. I also installed all the latest patches for the game, so I know I haven't done anything wrong.[/QUOTE]

zilib is simply a library of a few DEFLATE/LZ77 compression/decompression functions. At long as a suitable copy exists in your PATH environmental variable you should be okay (sorry I'm not much on a windoze person on these matters). There are related instructions here: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=108888

I'm considering this, I might get it "just because" but I first must experience angst, so in that spirit...

Relevant bits from wikipedia:
Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI, also known as Sangokushi 11 (三國志11), is the 11th installment in Koei's famous Romance of the Three Kingdoms series. The game was released for PC on March 17, 2006 in Japan, and later Traditional Chinese version on July 27 in Taiwan. A Japanese PlayStation 2 version was released on September 28, 2006.
A North American PlayStation 2 version was released on February 6, 2007.[1] A Wii version was released on March 21, 2007 for Japan market at a premium price of ¥9,800 Yen.[2]
The Premium version includes walkthrough, a tactical map, four cards illustrated by Tsuyoshi Nagano, and an orchestra soundtrack CD. The Chinese version of the Premium version includes a walkthrough and map.
An official English version for PC was announced on April 23, 2008, to be released in North America on July 29.[3] However, the release date was delayed until September 9, 2008. There is an expansion pack for the PC version, but it was not included in the English versions, being only available in Eastern markets. This marked the Koei reintroduction of a PC version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms for the English market which hasn't happened since November 30, 1995, with the U.S. release of "Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire."
Some of the 3D models in this game were borrowed from Dynasty Warriors 4.
32 historical characters not from the Three Kingdoms era can be unlocked after the player completes all the game tutorials.

IGN praised the length and depth of the game, saying it "packs literally hundreds of hours of play time on its single disc", but criticised the pace of the game, saying players will "have to endure an almost relentless level of tedium." and "It will bore to tears most of the jump cut-addled, MTV-watching, Ritalin-popping masses due to a sometimes excruciatingly slow pace."[4] Gamespot had a similar view, "The strategy is complex and rewarding, but the menu shuffling and extremely slow pace won't earn the series any new fans."[5] Games Radar emphasised that Kingdoms XI would mainly appeal to fans of the series, "...addicts that have kept up with the series and crave more of its rare gameplay will eat it up. Gamers that have never cared about or have never heard of the series don't have any reasons to give it a whirl."[6] 1UP.com called the game's learning curve "intimidating" even for veteran strategy gamers, but praised "the top-notch writing, nifty historical setting, and unique aesthetic", claiming "the game gives you everything you could want from a turn-based tactics extravaganza."[7]

Reviews on Amazon by ROTK fans are positive. As well as a somewhat expected metacritic split 70 to 9.4.

I would also note that there is a demo available.

Well it's a strategy game. I'm not sure what sort of fast pace they are expecting but it's exactly what it's supposed to be all the way back to the NES days. If you want fast paced there are plenty of other games for that. I find it ridiculous for 'professional' critics to ding a game for being true to its genre.

*Edit and all this talk makes me totally want that latest Nobunaga game now. I wonder if there's an English fan patch.

GG listed on their Facebook that they're offering a buy one get one free program for pre-orders on Starvoid through August 24th. That comes to $5 ($4.23 with IGN) a pop for a new release. From what I understand it's a RTS/DOTA hybrid of sorts.

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']GG listed on their Facebook that they're offering a buy one get one free program for pre-orders on Starvoid through August 24th. That comes to $5 ($4.23 with IGN) a pop for a new release. From what I understand it's a RTS/DOTA hybrid of sorts.[/QUOTE]

Just be aware that it's multiplayer only. As in no single player. At all. Not even with bots.

I had trouble even finding anyone else on to play with but admittedly that's in the beta.

Just updating that I figured out my problem with X3: Terran Conflict. All I needed to do was download the zlib library and put the missing file in the X3 folder. If anyone else runs across the same issue with X2 or X3 (DRM free), just hop over to http://zlib.net/ and download what you need.

[quote name='asheskitty']I couldn't resist any longer, I'm now $5.76 poorer and Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI richer.[/QUOTE]

Does it instal and run ok?

[quote name='Seraphym']Does it instal and run ok?[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried yet. I seriously need to address my running-out-of-HDD-space.

re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI
[quote name='Seraphym']Does it instal and run ok?[/QUOTE]

Yes it runs fine (win 7 64-bit here) and will run at higher resolutions like 1920x1080. It does need to be activated with a CD key but I didn't get any message about a limited number of activations so as far as I can tell it's just a one time deal.

[quote name='asheskitty']I haven't tried yet. I seriously need to address my running-out-of-HDD-space.[/QUOTE]

I bought a 3tb external a couple weeks ago. Maybe that will work for awhile... Maybe

[quote name='Motoki']re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI
Yes it runs fine (win 7 64-bit here) and will run at higher resolutions like 1920x1080. It does need to be activated with a CD key but I didn't get any message about a limited number of activations so as far as I can tell it's just a one time deal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Motoki! I can't pass it up then :D

[quote name='Seraphym']I bought a 3tb external a couple weeks ago. Maybe that will work for awhile... Maybe[/QUOTE]
I swear I still think I'm living in another decade sometimes. I saw 3tb and thought "Oh wow, bet that was a lot." Then I looked it up and was pleasantly surprised. I'll have to pick one up before too long.

Wow, it must be Unimpressed Wednesday. Though I confess I haven't touched Gratuitous Space Battles since I got it in HIB 3. I'd much rather see Shogun Total War (2001) drop to $2.50, than these daily deals.

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']I swear I still think I'm living in another decade sometimes. I saw 3tb and thought "Oh wow, bet that was a lot." Then I looked it up and was pleasantly surprised. I'll have to pick one up before too long.[/QUOTE]
Be careful if you're not getting it in an enclosure. A lot of older controllers have a 2 TB limit (120 GB limit, 8 GB limit, 500 MB limit, ATA not MFM...)

[quote name='asheskitty']Wow, it must be Unimpressed Wednesday. Though I confess I haven't touched Gratuitous Space Battles since I got it in HIB 3. I'd much rather see Shogun Total War (2001) drop to $2.50, than these daily deals.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I am not sure why Ubisoft is being so damned chintzy with their sales but Anno 2070 and M&M Heroes VI are both pushing a year old so 50% off for the big Steam and GG summer sales is lame.

With the crappy DRM in these games I won't even consider them until 75% and even then I'm not sure.

Games just updated, and The Guild Complete Collection is showing up at $1.50 ($1.27 after IGN,) which is 95% off.

It's probably a pricing mistake and will go down to 75%, alot like the pricing mistake that Company of Heroes had.

Thought I would give a heads up. Can't go wrong with $1.50.

Ha! I guess I'm not the only one that hangs around Gamersgate at 1AM when the offers flip!

We really are a bunch of cheap ass gamers...

[quote name='seamoss']Ha! I guess I'm not the only one that hangs around Gamersgate at 1AM when the offers flip!

We really are a bunch of cheap ass gamers...[/QUOTE]

I'm here too haha.

I really wish all of these are on Steam. Its too much of a hassle for me to deal with other DRM honestly. Stronghold 3 is a few more bucks than I would like to take a chance on it for.

Very tempted at the Guild collection. Whats the Starfrorce DRM like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back