Games for Windows: Age of Empires III: 10 cents

EliotAndrews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Hey, all.
Games for Windows Marketplace just relaunched with a new, web-friendly system. To celebrate, they're doing "Deal of the Day's" all week.

Monday: Grand Theft Auto IV: $11.99 (40% off)
Tuesday: Borderlands: $9.99 (50% off)
Wednesday: Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY: $11.99 (60% off)
Thursday: Red Faction: Guerrilla: $5.99 (70% off)
Friday: Saints Row 2: $5.99 (80% off)
Saturday: Bioshock: $1.99 (90% off)
Sunday: Age of Empires III: 10 cents

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/

It should be noted that, so far, Steam has offered these games for less in the past. Therefore, I'd say "wait for the Steam Holiday Sale." (A CAG phrase that has been popular for about 6 months now.)

Thursday: I admit, Red Faction: Guerrilla at this price is a bit insulting since both Steam and D2D have offered the game for $4.99 in the past.

Saturday: This is easily the most surprising of the deals. Bioshock has been $4.99 at the lowest over at Steam. So, if anyone's interested, this is the perfect time to pick the game up.

Sunday: I'd like to know which CAGer's can resist a 10-cent game. (CAG TIP: Due to the "exchange rate," using your Microsoft Points costs you more money.)

Though it's not part of this deal, I thought I'd add that Bioshock 2 is the Deal of the Week: $9.99 (50% off)

Last edited by a moderator:
So much complaining... for ten damn cents. Give it a rest, people.

Does anyone know how the Campaign plays? Is it like SC2 where you just have missions? Or do you build up your empire and do missions whenever you want? Just wondering since I haven't played an AoE game since the first and don't remember it at all.

[quote name='James161324']Keys are supposed to be in next week. But if this is their try to get me to buy games of games for windows live instead of steam. Its not going well. You should have enough keys.

I'm not going to complain to much as it was just 10 cents. But it doesn't make their service look good.

It was an a very interesting move by Microsoft but i think it has back fired in their face.[/QUOTE]

nah, probably not. the majority of sensible people in the world aren't going to get bent out of shape over having to wait a week to play a game they bought for .10 ...not when it's an impulse buy that 99.99999% of people were only buying BECAUSE it was so cheap.(i can understand urgency for those who were actively looking to purchase the game)

[quote name='DarkRider23']So much complaining... for ten damn cents. Give it a rest, people.

Does anyone know how the Campaign plays? Is it like SC2 where you just have missions? Or do you build up your empire and do missions whenever you want? Just wondering since I haven't played an AoE game since the first and don't remember it at all.[/QUOTE]

Independent missions, but your Home City evolves with you.

[quote name='DarkRider23']So much complaining... for ten damn cents. Give it a rest, people.

Does anyone know how the Campaign plays? Is it like SC2 where you just have missions? Or do you build up your empire and do missions whenever you want? Just wondering since I haven't played an AoE game since the first and don't remember it at all.[/QUOTE]
Its individual missions with different objectives. Usually destroying something.

[quote name='Dude420']My client kept crashing on me not long after I started trying to download the game, seemed like it was a memory leak or so. Even just leaving the client idle with no download had memory usage spiking up, this was on XP SP3. Doing what a post I found at the GFW Forums said, installing .NET Framework 4 fixed the problem. Memory usage went from 500K at launch before Framework 4 install, to around 121K~ or so, going down to 27k after a while. Client kept crashing above 1,200,000K and 1,600,000K memory usage before Framework 4 install.[/QUOTE]

Just created an account to say thanks! Crashed a handful of times last night and spent a half hour on hold when I couldn't google a fix, this took care of it perfectly.

[quote name='Burchamj']did we figure out the no keys installed issue?[/QUOTE]

"Due to the overwhelming success of the Age of Empires III sale, we have temporarily run out of keys to unlock the game. You can still buy the game at this amazing price and you will get/see a key in the next week. When new keys are added to the system you will be auto-assigned a key, there is no need to call support or take any other action from your end. We will post here on the forums when the keys are available and the next time you click 'View Game Keys' for the game you should be assigned one.

Thank you for your patience and we hope you enjoy the game."

http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/p/15700/135170.aspx#135170

My guess at this point is everyone got a key, maybe if anyone didn't get one they should make a post rather than the other way around.

Quick question. Can i install this game on 2 computers at the same time?

I kinda of installed it in my netbook and lets just say it doesn't run "smooth" so i want to install it on my pc..

I got mine now but my buddy still has yet to get his :/

EDIT: As soon as I say that he restarts the launcher and now he has a key, so if you dont see one just try restarting.

[quote name='serge2k']Quick question. Can i install this game on 2 computers at the same time?

I kinda of installed it in my netbook and lets just say it doesn't run "smooth" so i want to install it on my pc..[/QUOTE]
Yes, you can install it on 2 computers at the same time, but you'll only have one CD key for online play. You have to install the client on both computers, download the game on both computers, and then you should be good.

As you'd mentioned...you're probably not going to have a great time playing it on a netbook. :)

Im done installing the game and when i start it, it asks me for my cd key, i type it in and it shows up "Invalid Cd Key!", whats wrong with my cd key?

[quote name='AllenScribe']This is the definition of an awesome deal. I've not used Games for Windows before. Where do I go to find the key?[/QUOTE]

Right click the CD icon next to the game and select display keys (or something like that). This is a stupid UI mistake making something so important so hard to find.

[quote name='AllenScribe']This is the definition of an awesome deal. I've not used Games for Windows before. Where do I go to find the key?[/QUOTE]

It took me a while to find it, too.

1) restart your client, if you haven't.
2) Go to the "downloads" section, where you can see the games you've pruchased. Find your game. Expand it; there's a drop--arrow that will reveal your activation keys.

[quote name='serge2k']Quick question. Can i install this game on 2 computers at the same time?

I kinda of installed it in my netbook and lets just say it doesn't run "smooth" so i want to install it on my pc..[/QUOTE]

Yes, but you will not be able to play at the same time as you need to be connected to xbox live. When you log on to a pc, it disconnects all other xbox live connections, including your xbox. This is the stupidest thing in the world. I was beta testing a product and had connected the game to my xbox live account. So my son would decide to play the game and without realizing it would disconnect me from xbox live and suddenly no netflix, etc. Really sucks.

[quote name='stoned99']Yes, but you will not be able to play at the same time as you need to be connected to xbox live. When you log on to a pc, it disconnects all other xbox live connections, including your xbox. This is the stupidest thing in the world. I was beta testing a product and had connected the game to my xbox live account. So my son would decide to play the game and without realizing it would disconnect me from xbox live and suddenly no netflix, etc. Really sucks.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. AoE III is not a Live title, so you don't need to worry about being connected to live with it.

[quote name='nathanallan1']This is the error I am getting (on my picasa):

http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.dkassandra4/UntitledAlbum#5543430524062775202

I do NOT want to redownload, it took hours. I still have no code.[/QUOTE]

I can't promise you this will work for you, but I had the same situation. I didn't want to cancel, because I was afraid it would make me re-download.

Eventually, when I saw people here were getting codes, I just figured "wtf" and clicked "cancel" (way over on the right). At that point, the "cancel" and "retry" buttons went away, and were replaced with "install", and a note that I'd already downloaded the installer.

At this point, I closed the client, re-opened it, and the keys were available. I did NOT have to re-download; I just clicked "install" and away it went!

Good luck. YMMV but I hope it works for you like it did for me.

[quote name='gcorlett']I can't promise you this will work for you, but I had the same situation. I didn't want to cancel, because I was afraid it would make me re-download.

Eventually, when I saw people here were getting codes, I just figured "wtf" and clicked "cancel" (way over on the right). At that point, the "cancel" and "retry" buttons went away, and were replaced with "install", and a note that I'd already downloaded the installer.

At this point, I closed the client, re-opened it, and the keys were available. I did NOT have to re-download; I just clicked "install" and away it went!

Good luck. YMMV but I hope it works for you like it did for me.[/QUOTE]

WOOHOO! I tried again after leaving it frustrated for a few days and it seems to be working, thanks!

Nathan

bread's done
Back