Games for Windows Magazine Moves Online (No more print magazine)

msdmoney

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167296
This morning the 1UP Network, in conjunction with Microsoft, announced that Games for Windows: The Official Magazine will be transitioning from a print publication to an online-exclusive destination here on 1UP.com. The move is being done to help focus our efforts to where PC gamers spend most of their time: on their PCs. Over the next few weeks 1UP will be ramping up its efforts to become the premiere destination for PC gaming content on the web.
"PC gamers and marketers have made the online space their home. There are 10 million World of Warcraft subscribers, 15 million Steam users, and when online and digital distribution is taken into account, DFC Intelligence reported that people spent more money on PC games than on any other platform last year," said Jason Young, CEO of Ziff Davis Media, parent to 1UP Network. "It's a natural move for us to refocus our resources and talent to the online space, in order to reach the PC gaming community where it truly lives." Added Simon Cox, VP of Content for 1UP, "I am very excited to refocus our vision for GFW to online and reinvigorate it with new life. GFW has always been a stellar publication, and it will now be able to grow in more ways than ever before in content and audience. I think GFW fans and 1UP Network users will truly love our enhanced online PC coverage and the features it will now be able to offer them."

Microsoft also voiced support for the decision to move the official Games for Windows publication online. "Our partnership included both print and online from the start, and we are excited to continue expanding our online relationship with Ziff Davis," said Kevin Unangst, Senior Global Director of Games for Windows at Microsoft. "We look forward to strong support for PC gaming from the talented 1UP Network team."

This move does, however, mark the end of an era. Before Games for Windows Magazine was known as Games for Windows Magazine, it was Computer Gaming World, one of the longest running magazines about PC games (27 years). As exciting as the opportunity is to now refocus and expand upon the magazine's content in a new online PC gaming hub, it doesn't come without some disappointment to see such a print staple go. Our attempt will be to see its heart and soul live on here on 1UP.

To those of you who've read the magazine (as CGW or GFW) over the years, we wholeheartedly thank you for your support. We also hope you'll congratulate us on our exciting move online and continue to support us as we strengthen our PC coverage on 1UP. And as for those of you who are current subscribers, you'll receive postcards shortly with further instructions (or you can visit this website).

For more information about our decision to move GFW online, make sure to check out GFW Editor-in-Chief Jeff Green's blog and 1UP VP of Content Simon Cox's blog.

This is really too bad, as this was by far my favorite gaming magazine. It's obvious that all print gaming magazines are suffering, print just can't compete with the immediacy of online content, and I think the gaming audience thrives on the latest news, reviews, etc. I really thought GFW was doing something different with their editorial content, shifting toward in depth articles that are better suited for the delay of print magazines, rather than reviews and news that is out of date by the time a magazine ships. Unfortunately, I just don't think the online space is as well suited for this type of content.

At least the podcast will remain and the editors will still remain on staff. It is still my favorite podcast, no other podcast comes off as candid as GFW radio about the games industry. It also strikes the right balance between humor and insightful discussion.

I still get PCgamer, but I always preferred GFW. The "world exclusive reivews" PCgamer gets from time to time (Doom 3) have always bothered me.

I've been getting it for free from the magazine thread.

Wonder if they will move the subscription over to EGM, or another magazine?

I read about this earlier. I'm glad they're still around because I love GFW Radio. I think it sucks though that I'll be screwed out of a bathroom magazine. I'm down to one...

Shit, Shit, Shit, Shit, Shit, Shit. I was wondering when my GFW mag was gonna get here. This really sucks, it was one of my favorite magazines to read(Tom VS. Bruce FTW!).

I noticed the headline a couple times in other places, but didn't know that they are stopping print distribution. That sucks, but good luck online!

I had a free sub as well and don't really care. Jeff Green tries to be some macho gamer badass for old dudes. I can't stand that guy.

All of the GFW editors will still have their jobs with 1UP, although, sadly, the art team for the magazine was let go.

[quote name='the3rdkey']I had a free sub as well and don't really care. Jeff Green tries to be some macho gamer badass for old dudes. I can't stand that guy.[/quote]

Jeff Green was great, usually the first thing I would do is read his column on the back page.

Wow, just an issue ago they were cutting down on publishing every month to only 10 issues a year (April/May and July/August were the bi-monthly issues), and now they're gone completely. This really sucks. Now Ziff Davis only has EGM, PC Mag, and a few B2B mags.

[quote name='Rig']Wonder if they will move the subscription over to EGM, or another magazine?[/quote]

EGM is their only gaming mag that left in print(unless they make a dick move and move that online too). So it will most likely be EGM that they move the subscriptions to, which for most of us means that it'll just tack on another few years.

I had a feeling this was coming or they'd shut down the mag and lay off the entire staff. Looking at those filing they publish near the end of the year in their mag(for their license) showed that they actually lost subscribers last year. Also compared to the number of subscribers of EGM, it's around 1/3 the number of subscribers EGM has. So it looks like it was one that wasn't making that much money.

[quote name='darthbudge']Shit, Shit, Shit, Shit, Shit, Shit. I was wondering when my GFW mag was gonna get here. This really sucks, it was one of my favorite magazines to read(Tom VS. Bruce FTW!).[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing. Too bad, I'll miss reading about new PC games.

[quote name='the3rdkey']I had a free sub as well and don't really care. Jeff Green tries to be some macho gamer badass for old dudes. I can't stand that guy.[/quote]

You obviously don't get it, he never proclaims to be at all.

[quote name='mrelusive']I noticed the headline a couple times in other places, but didn't know that they are stopping print distribution. That sucks, but good luck online![/quote]

Your sig is misleading

bread's done
Back