Games more expensive at Target, Toys 'R' Us

I remember last years version of this article. It doesn't really mean much to CAGs since we know about every video game sale and deal as they happen.

[quote name='Roufuss']Wal-Mart is currently the No. 1 seller of new video games, with about 23 percent market share.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='thatarticleupthere']That reign is expected to last until the completion of the merger between game retailers GameStop Corp. and Electronics Boutique Holdings Corp. later this year.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It's all about volume for walmart.

There was also a report out about a year ago of all B&M retailers that reported EB to have the lowest average prices. If I had a link I'd post it, but I forget who reported it.

[quote name='ShadowRayden']That suprised me too.[/QUOTE]

Not to suprising if you think about it. Just about every town in America big or little has a Wal-mart. It wouldn't be the first place I'd buy a game but some others don't have a choice.

[quote name='mariomarino']Not to suprising if you think about it. Just about every town in America big or little has a Wal-mart.[/QUOTE]

The Walmarts near me keep all their games behind glass cases, and because the stores are permanently crowded, all the employees are always too busy to help me get anything out, much less do prices checks, etc. As a result, I've never bought any games from Walmart, and I don't know why anyone else would either.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']The Walmarts near me keep all their games behind glass cases, and because the stores are permanently crowded, all the employees are always too busy to help me get anything out, much less do prices checks, etc. As a result, I've never bought any games from Walmart, and I don't know why anyone else would either.[/QUOTE]

I went through that hassle for 14.88 Puyo Pop Fever, but I went at 1 am when the store was relatively not busy.

Still took 10 minutes to find an employee to open the damn case.

[quote name='mariomarino']Not to suprising if you think about it. Just about every town in America big or little has a Wal-mart. It wouldn't be the first place I'd buy a game but some others don't have a choice.[/QUOTE]
true, my craptacular city gloversville has one store to buy games, and that is wal mart. and there are always kids running around yelling MOMMY I WANT THIS GAME and stuff, so not that surprising to me.

Wal-mart's the most ideal place for younger kids to get games. When I was younger, it was much easier to get my parents to buy a game if they were already purchasing other things.

If I went to EB with them, they'd know why we were going there so they could already plan against any case of the "gimmies" I had.

This really doesn't affect me, or other CAGs out there, since we know how the system works fairly well. Where to shop, when to shop, what to expect, when to look out for price drops, etc. We're a pretty knowledgeable bunch.

The Walmart thing really isn't too surprising either. They're the biggest retailer in America. I personally try to not shop there as much as i can. Sometimes I'll go there like when they had their recent batch of $4.99 DVDs, and there cheap bargain bin. I don't really buy games from them since they never mark them down or anything. I have PMed at there store quite a few times though.

What surprised me the most was this line from the article

Best Buy Co. Inc. had the lowest prices among major bricks-and-mortar retailers, said PiperJaffray analyst Anthony Gikas, who looked at the eight biggest retailers as part of a semi-annual pricing survey.

I never thought Best Buy had the cheapest prices. They rarely put anything on sale anymore, and I've actually seen some mark ups on games by 1-3 dollars more on games. They're only incentive for me to buy there is the PSP/PS2/GGC coupons and still it is rare because I can get better deals at Fry's. I wonder if they included Fry's though. I'm sure Fry's would have the cheapest prices, say of all of them.

[quote name='terribledeli']Wal-mart's the most ideal place for younger kids to get games. When I was younger, it was much easier to get my parents to buy a game if they were already purchasing other things.

If I went to EB with them, they'd know why we were going there so they could already plan against any case of the "gimmies" I had.[/QUOTE]

Agreed in the wholest.

I haven't bought a game from Wal-Mart in a loooong time, especially since the local ones hardly ever have any clearanced and their prices are otherwise retail.

No mention of K-mart at all. Unless the is a sale or blue light at K-mart you can bet that a release PS1 game will be $29.99 and GH, PC, PH, do not exist. at Target or K-mart they hide them in another aisle.

[quote name='radjago']I haven't bought a game from Wal-Mart in a loooong time, especially since the local ones hardly ever have any clearanced and their prices are otherwise retail.[/QUOTE]

They are never retail prices. They are always rolling back prices that is why a new game is $49.86

Sounds like a market analyst who knows nothing about the actual market, but probably took a few samples of big selling game prices and came up with his conclusions.

Still can't beleive Wal-mart is number 1, falling prices to them is 48.96 instead of 49.99. The only time I bought from Wal-mart was when a nearby Wal-mart was clearing out a bunch of recent games for $20 last month.

And the 'lowest average price' at EB is surely due to the huge quantites of preowned games that help lower the average.
WalMart = Quantity quantity quantity.
And most people who are buying Sports Game 2005 don't really 'comparison shop' on games, and just buy it from where they normally shop.
I buy a game from whoever has it, that I like the best, for the best price and the most convenient. Only games I've bought from Walmart recently are SH:C and BG&E, and that was a while ago.

bread's done
Back