Games that haven't aged well

I'm on the fence about Grand Theft Auto II...with the current 3d renditions of the series, I went back to play GTA2. There's a little bit of fun with the ice cream trucks, but the birds'-eye perspective and everything else just aren't convincing me to play the game further. Eveything that can be done in a GTA game is better in 3d.

I still love and prefer 2d platformers and fighting games though.

Topic marked. I know I'll think of some later in the day.

I'll stay away from the past 5-10 years and say that I find about three minutes of nostalgia - and no more - in any 1980's Atari release. Same goes for Intellivision. I'm glad gaming went the direction it did, because I wouldn't be playing these games today.

Even the titles that really, really got me into gaming (Ninja Kid for NES) aren't much fun anymore.

[quote name='Caliburn']I'm on the fence about Grand Theft Auto II...with the current 3d renditions of the series, I went back to play GTA2. There's a little bit of fun with the ice cream trucks, but the birds'-eye perspective and everything else just aren't convincing me to play the game further. Eveything that can be done in a GTA game is better in 3d.

I still love and prefer 2d platformers and fighting games though.[/quote]
I still love Grand Theft Auto II for how it is, the top-down perspective still appeals to me for the series.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Everyone who says Conker hasn't aged well based on playing the XBOX remake should try playing the original. I still love the original but the remake sucked.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not judging how well Conker aged as a port, but in playing the port (or remake, rather), you realize that this platformer didn't stand the test of time. Going back to the N64 version now (IMO the better version, despite graphics), everything seems wrong. The gameplay has become muddy and unresponsive, the jokes stale, and the voiceovers are putrid. What hasn't aged in Conker? The character personalities are still great, but references to movies of that time aren't funny 5-10 years later.

[quote name='rabbitt'] The character personalities are still great, but references to movies of that time aren't funny 5-10 years later.[/quote]

heh, this is the same reason no one will watch Family Guy in 10 years.

He, for what its worth, and if you look at most of the people posting its all about graphics, which shouldn't even be part of the criteria. Graphics are always improving.

Driver for the PS1 is still an incredible game. Its fun to get in that car and tool around, the weight of the cars and the springy suspension...if only it would run at a few more FPS it would be great. Not easy on the eyes anymore, but so what.

I personally dont mind a game like Conker that has dated film references. Is AIRPLANE! any less funny because kids seeing it today never saw the AIRPORT 77 or AIRPORT CONCORDE! disaster movies in the 70's, on which AIRPLANE was goofing on? I don't think so.

I dont think there are any videogames that haven't aged well...if a game was amusing to you in the past, it should still be amusing to you today. Granted, not in the same "WOW!" way as before.....but honestly....I could still go back and have fun with NIGHT DRIVER or Microsurgeon or Atari Boxing.

People don't always age well, but videogames....they are immortal :)

[quote name='rabbitt']I'm not judging how well Conker aged as a port, but in playing the port (or remake, rather), you realize that this platformer didn't stand the test of time. Going back to the N64 version now (IMO the better version, despite graphics), everything seems wrong. The gameplay has become muddy and unresponsive, the jokes stale, and the voiceovers are putrid. What hasn't aged in Conker? The character personalities are still great, but references to movies of that time aren't funny 5-10 years later.[/quote]

I remember Clockwork Orange (70's) and Terminator (80's). What was from the late 90's in that game?

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I remember Clockwork Orange (70's) and Terminator (80's). What was from the late 90's in that game?[/quote]

Saving Ryan's Privates?

I agree with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Goldeneye is playable, but Perfect Dark looks like SHIT. I tried to play it the other day and quit after ten minutes or so.

I played Tenchu the other day on the PS1. Graphically, meh, but the gameplay's still good, and the soundtrack is so awesome that I imported it years ago from Japan. Still my favorite Tenchu.

[quote name='yukine']He (or she?) makes it seem like everyone in the thread is judging the games of previous generations, entirely on graphics, which isn't the case. It seems to me, that the majority of our complaints are more towards gameplay mechanics rather than graphics.[/quote]Yeah...

[quote name='ShimSham']A ton of early 3D games haven't aged well graphically, then again some have.

FF7 for instance has aged horribly as far as looks go.[/quote]
[quote name='jm2u']Perfect dark was unplayable the day I put it in my N64. I'll never know how anyone played it at 5fps.[/quote]
[quote name='Roufuss']These are all graphically, to the point where they just hurt my fucking eyes.

Perfect Dark
Silent Hill
Rival Schools
Any of the earlier Tekken's
Hell, any early 3-D fighter PERIOD
Any early 3-D FPS[/quote]
[quote name='Number83']Arx Fatalis on the XBOX...(shudders!) Great game, ugly as sin![/quote]
[quote name='ViolentLee']I agree completely with the "early polygonal games looking like ass" school of thought. I tried playing Perfect Dark N64 after finally getting an N64 RAM expansion cart. I just couldn't do it; I partly blame having been playing a lot of Halo 2 at the time. [/quote]
[quote name='repetske']Metal Gear Solid. I remember that game looking so awesome. The funny thing is that Twin Snakes looks like I "remember" the PS1 version looking.[/quote]
[quote name='Scorch']I agree with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Goldeneye is playable, but Perfect Dark looks like SHIT. I tried to play it the other day and quit after ten minutes or so.[/quote]

All of this when we already have a thread about old games looking crappy.

I'll say this much. Games like Goldeneye or PD should be played on a 19in TV or less. I tried playing them on my 32in and it is really muddy looking. The control scheme is archaic as well. I still like them though. The bots in PD are still ahead of its time IMO and the weapons are very inventive even now.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Link to the media being down on SoT a year later? From what I remember of the reviews the game got, the repetitive combat was one of the only downsides that was constantly mentioned about the game, so I'm not sure why the game would be looked down upon a year later because of something they all saw and wrote on when they reviewed.[/QUOTE]
I was one of the media who really liked PoP 2. The reason most were down on it was because of the way Ubisoft tried to give the Prince a more "extreme" edge. They thought it came off canned and labored. The first one also blew everyone away; with the sequel, they knew what to expect.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Everyone who says Conker hasn't aged well based on playing the XBOX remake should try playing the original. I still love the original but the remake sucked.[/QUOTE]
The first time I played Conker, I was shocked at how unresponsive the controls were. It was so sluggish compared to Banjo-Kazooie and its sequel.

[quote name='HeadRusch']He, for what its worth, and if you look at most of the people posting its all about graphics, which shouldn't even be part of the criteria. Graphics are always improving.[/QUOTE]
I gotta say that graphics can matter -- especially with things like framerate. Besides, the OP states:

"Sometimes it's nice to go back and play a game that you enjoyed a long time ago. And on some occasions, you might be surprised that that game isn't exactly how you remembered it. So just post what games you have found that time hasn't been very kind to."

That clearly can include graphics. We remember games looking a certain way, especially when they were the pinnacle of technology at the time. Then we go back to play them, and it's surprising that our standards have gone up so high. Take Soul Blade for PSone, for example. In my mind, the CG is freaking mind-blowing. Go back to watch it today, and it's barely adequate. The picture our mind painted has been shined up to a level the real product can't compare with.

I just recently got back into Tomb Raider 2 and beat the 1st level for the 1st time. I don't think this game aged well. I played for hours, but never got used to the controls. I kept reaching for the analong controls.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Yeah...

All of this when we already have a thread about old games looking crappy.[/quote]
*Sigh*

Then I guess we're not only cheap asses, but graphic whores as well. Oh well... not sure how I overlooked THAT many complaints, however.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Yeah...

[Quote Party]

All of this when we already have a thread about old games looking crappy.[/quote]
Well, of course there ARE complaints about the graphics. But there is almost an equal amount of people that are judging games on agedness (eh?) beyond eye candy.

I'm just trying to defend the ones in this thread that are not graphic whores.
I didn't mean to get into any conflicts with anyone, heh. :argue: #-o

Games that have aged well are Full motion video games

i love FMV execept on sega cd(32xcd,3do,dos,Cd-i)
stuff like nighttrap and Ripper is awsome

2d shoters
2d Platformers
2d fighters

some sports games aswell

like nba Jam,Nfl Blitz,Tecmo super bowel
and,Nhl Rock the rink

I thought PoP2 looked dated the first time I played it. The Sand Prince levels struck me as being sloppily textured.

Final Fight also sticks out in my mind as well. I recently played it in Capcom Classics... only one attack button/ limited moves don't seem to cut it anymore.

FWIW, when I read the title of this thread I thought of a 1980's BMW 3-series I saw yesterday. Cars were boxy back then, but this one was downright laughable.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the PS1 Twisted Metal games. I remember wasting hours with friends doing the multiplayer mode when that game came out. However, I revisited it with a friend not long ago, and wanted to vomit. The game is just horrible now, the controls are terrible, and the multiplayer feels so claustrophobic.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I was one of the media who really liked PoP 2. The reason most were down on it was because of the way Ubisoft tried to give the Prince a more "extreme" edge. They thought it came off canned and labored. The first one also blew everyone away; with the sequel, they knew what to expect.[/quote]
I thought we were talking about Sands of Time, not Warrior Within. Unless I'm missing something, this isn't proof of the media hating Sands of Time within a year after it's release like jrutz claimed.

[quote name='magilacudy']I thought PoP2 looked dated the first time I played it. The Sand Prince levels struck me as being sloppily textured.

Final Fight also sticks out in my mind as well. I recently played it in Capcom Classics... only one attack button/ limited moves don't seem to cut it anymore.

FWIW, when I read the title of this thread I thought of a 1980's BMW 3-series I saw yesterday. Cars were boxy back then, but this one was downright laughable.[/QUOTE]

I thought that Final Fight made up for the lack of attack buttons with the situations you're put in. The game isn't about complexity of moves -- it's about surviving in a bunch of overwhelming situations. If Final Fight was a one on one fighter, then yeah, it would've aged terribly, but I think that given the kind of game it is, it's aged remarkably well and it's still very fun to play today. Same goes for Streets of Rage 2.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I thought we were talking about Sands of Time, not Warrior Within. Unless I'm missing something, this isn't proof of the media hating Sands of Time within a year after it's release like jrutz claimed.[/QUOTE]

Aw, you're right. My bad. When people talk about PoP hating, I just default to Warrior Within.

Adventure: Man, I thought that shit was mindblowing back in the day, but now I can't even look at it. It needs a 3D cart racing remake scored by Slipknot.

bread's done
Back