Games that sold millions, but should have flopped.

Well, you have actually listed games that are pretty good. Should they have done as well as they did? Perhaps not.

The only true one that I can think of is Enter the Matrix.

And possibly GTA:SA. GTA III ruled. With GTA: Vice City I expected more to be changed, and by SA I sure wasn't expecting the same damn game repackaged again.

[quote name='Ebraum']Driv3r[/QUOTE]

Since when did Driv3r sell millions? It was considered by many people a complete flop.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The definitive answer:

Halo. Both of 'em.[/QUOTE]
You have had toooo much coffee...

Here is my list
Colony Wars: Vengeance
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X-2
Kingdom Hearts
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (PS2)
Goemon's Great Adventure (N64)

Hell any RPG is nerdbait and should have flopped.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']every racing game....ah, look at me....im going around a track over and over again....DEFINITELY worth $50:roll:[/QUOTE]

How about every sports game too? WOW, look I'm throwing/kicking a ball around over and over.

Every Madden title after the first (2001) for the PS2. $50 for a roster update - there's a sucker born every minute (or in this case: 31,536,000 seconds per year/4 million copies of Madden per year = every 7.9 seconds).

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']every racing game....ah, look at me....im going around a track over and over again....DEFINITELY worth $50:roll:[/QUOTE]
By your logic pretty much every game should flop:

FPS - shoot a bunch of guys, move forward and shoot some more....DEFINITELY worth $50:roll:
Fighters - two guys fight, one is KO'd....DEFINITELY worth $50:roll:
Sports games....DEFINITELY worth $50:roll:
Platformers - jump, kill some guys, jump, kill some guys....DEFINITELY worth $50:roll:
RPGs - get in a battle, win battle, get in another battle, win battle....DEFINITELY worth $50:roll:

Nothing's worth $50.

Burnout 3 was worth $50...one of the few IMHO.

[quote name='ramprider0']Didn't Fable sell millions of copies and totally sucked?[/QUOTE]

It didn't totally suck. It was nowhere near the hype, but it was a fun zelda-esque game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']By your logic pretty much every game should flop:

FPS - shoot a bunch of guys, move forward and shoot some more....DEFINITELY worth $50:roll:
Fighters - two guys fight, one is KO'd....DEFINITELY worth $50:roll:
Sports games....DEFINITELY worth $50:roll:
Platformers - jump, kill some guys, jump, kill some guys....DEFINITELY worth $50:roll:
RPGs - get in a battle, win battle, get in another battle, win battle....DEFINITELY worth $50:roll:

Nothing's worth $50.[/QUOTE]

ah, not really....i just don't really care for racing games...they're very boring to me...i have yet to play burnout 3 and im sure ill like it...but id rather play RTX Red Rock over almost any racing game :lol: yes, i just said that

Few games actually sell millions..
however, my bote for one that sold too many on hype alone (along with Enter The Matrix)....

State Of Emergency

[quote name='sying']You have had toooo much coffee...[/quote]
I hate coffee, I don't drink it. So, it's not the coffee talking, here. :roll:

[quote name='sying']Colony Wars: Vengeance
The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (PS2)
Goemon's Great Adventure (N64)[/quote]
Colony Wars sold well at the time, but not millions.

And seriously, LOTR: FOTR and Goemon's Great Adventure? Just to clarity, we're talking about games that sold millions but should have flopped. I'm not sure how anyone could get the misperception the Goemon sold anything like that.

I dislike Halo and Halo 2 as much as the next guy but thinking the game should have flopped just because you don't like it is a bit excesive.

Back on track, one item (not game) that everyone atleast had or knew someone that got one was the Power Glove. That was a peice of K-rap. It's not exactly a success because after the initial release people found out it sucked so it never sold again. I remember watching a TV commercial for it and it had some kid playing Punch Out using the Power Glove as an actually boxing glove. To my disapointment on Christmas Day I found out the truth. It had very tricky advertising. Does anyone remember "The Wizard" and the super cool kid that used the Power Glove named Rufus? I will now quote his famous line from the movie, " I love the Power Glove,... It's so bad." What a dork, you can't play Rad Racer as good as he did with the power glove. You lied to me Nintendo, YOU LIIIIED!!!

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']ah, not really....i just don't really care for racing games...they're very boring to me...i have yet to play burnout 3 and im sure ill like it...but id rather play RTX Red Rock over almost any racing game :lol: yes, i just said that[/QUOTE]

Dude!!! I'm so glad someone else can appreciate the value in a game like RTX: Red Rock. It's rare to find a gamer like myself who can appreciate design intent even when the final product falls short of expectations. Kudos to you.

[quote name='Epic Wolf']Cat Woman, Blade, & Wolverine[/QUOTE]

Cat Woman certainly didn't sell millions!

EDIT:Actually, none of the ones you mentioned did.

I don't really understand most of the posts here. Why exactly do you think games like Halo, The Sims, Tomb Raider 1, LOZ: Wind Waker...games that are actually GOOD, should have flopped? What exactly was wrong with them? If your only reason is because you didn't like them, then I don't think they deserved to be mentioned.

State of Emergency, True Crime, Enter The Matrix...games that the majority of reviewers/consumers hated but sold because of hype or license, should be the type of games mentioned.

All those wrestling games with the exception of those old n64 WWE no mercy and revenge, and all those repetitive madden games

[quote name='Scahom1']I don't really understand most of the posts here. Why exactly do you think games like Halo, The Sims, Tomb Raider 1, LOZ: Wind Waker...games that are actually GOOD, should have flopped? What exactly was wrong with them? If your only reason is because you didn't like them, then I don't think they deserved to be mentioned.

State of Emergency, True Crime, Enter The Matrix...games that the majority of reviewers/consumers hated but sold because of hype or license, should be the type of games mentioned.[/QUOTE]

True Crime got pretty good reviews and is a pretty decent game. The freeroaming aspects aren't as good as GTA, but the gameplay seriously destroys GTA.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Halo 2 (I like the first game though)
Zelda: The Windwaker
Metroid Prime 1 & 2
Most Sports Games
Pikmin 1 & 2[/QUOTE]

Just curious as to why you say Pikmin? I can understand the others (although I highly disagree, sans the sports games). Pikmin is one of the most innovative franchises this generation and I had a ton of fun with both of them, among other people.

Personally I thought True Crime was a much better game that GTA: SA. On that note, yeah it had some glitches and didn't live up to the over hype, but it was still a fun game to play.

Both Halos are just bad FPSs. It's not just that certain people didn't like them. But they have been the only "killer" :roll: apps for the Xbox. That is the only reason why Halo survived. If it had been released on the other consoles, or if it had been released solely on the computer, it would have sunk hardcore. A standard has been made for FPSs and Halo doesn't come close (even if it is the only game that mostpeople can stomach on the Xbox). And Tomb Raider was horrid. If you only owned a PS, maybe you learned to like it. But I know personally, when I played it I wanted to throw the thing away. But I had the knowledge of Super Mario 64. There had been 3D games before Mario, but it never became the standard because the games weren't fun or were just frustrating. Mario got the formula right. And after that, you can't go back. I know they are different genres, but they are both 3D and it just comes down to control and simple fun. Mario has it, Lara doesn't.

The same is not true for WW and Sims though. I actually can't stand The Sims, but it is a genious formula that has struck it big in every conceivable platform. I just happen to dislike it. And the same could be said for Enter the Matrix. ETM has it's glitches, but if you can overlook that, it is actually quite an addicting game.

But this whole thread is just personal opinions. There are very few games that can be defended in every situation (like SM64).

[quote name='cyborg2040']Personally I thought True Crime was a much better game that GTA: SA. On that note, yeah it had some glitches and didn't live up to the over hype, but it was still a fun game to play.[/QUOTE]

LOL!

I agree with you, with the exception of the Mario Kart games. :)

[quote name='bugg33']How about every sports game too? WOW, look I'm throwing/kicking a ball around over and over.[/QUOTE]
I don't understand how people can watch real sports, much less play a sports videogame.

[quote name='MorPhiend']
But this whole thread is just personal opinions. There are very few games that can be defended in every situation (like SM64).[/QUOTE]

Everything comes down to personal opionions. Saying SM64 can be defended in every situation is very blantantly a personal opinion!

[quote name='Tromack']It didn't totally suck. It was nowhere near the hype, but it was a fun zelda-esque game.[/QUOTE]

Evreryone is bashing Halo and getting away with it... but when someone mentions Fable, the red flags go up?

There was absolutely NOTHING wrong with Fable other than the length. I loved Fable, and I definately look forward to The Lost Chapters, especially at $19.99.

True Crime.. I do like the GTA series, but i'm not a fanboy, so i'm not going to say True Crime sucks.. because it doesn't. It just seemed.. unfinished. Between floating trees and random freezes, I was kinda mad at it.. I did enjoy it when it ran, though. I mean, come on.. in San Andreas, you just don't get "we've got a report of illegal aliens betting on a cockfight on Davis road" police calls.

bread's done
Back