Games without sound

evilpenguin9000

CAGiversary!
Being a multitasker at heart, I like to listen to podcasts or my own music while I play games. I'm sure there are some others out there like me. The problem is some games you can't really play without hearing what's going on. For the last six months or so I would just play Call of Duty 4 with the sound turned off and listen to whatever. The problem is that COD4 has stopped being something I want to devote that much time to recently.

So I need to find something new to play without having to worry about missing key plot or gameplay points because I'm not constantly listening. What games do/can you play without listening?

I'm the complete opposite. Games like COD4 are meant to be played in surround sound. Its one of the best sounding games. I do like listening to music on games like Uno or Carcassone though. Most arcade games actually.

I totally know what you mean. I listen to the Subgenius Hour of Slack and/or Howard Stern while playing games a lot. I tend to skip cut scenes anyways in most games so it doesn't usually matter much if you turn the music in the game all the way down as that tends to be the biggest distraction for me. Catan or Carcassonne ftw, though....yep. Also that new Civ game as well.

99 times out of 100 I just listen to the game audio, but Fight Night Round 3 was a big exception. Playing music in the background made it more fun.

The 360 has spoiled me with in-game custom soundtracks. I wish my new PS3 did this. Some games (like Pain) just don't need the game audio going.

I tend to listen to music in XBLA games, with some retail games (Lego series, etc.).

[quote name='Puffa469']I play GTA IV with the in-game radio off, and stream Howard Stern on my PC.[/quote]

I do the same with podcasts and music, but when a cut scene came on I would pause it wait til it ended and turn it back on.

[quote name='Puffa469']I play GTA IV with the in-game radio off, and stream Howard Stern on my PC.[/quote]
I listen to Stern sometimes as well while playing GTA IV, but recently I've gotten kinda burnt out on the show. I'd use the 360 to stream it from the files on my PC but I don't like the way the player handles larger files. I use my mp3 player hooked up to some external speakers. That way it is much easier to control the volume and files without having to switch back and forth between the game and the dashboard.

I really wish GTA IV had a customizeable radio channel. That would be awesome...

[quote name='foxdvd']RPG games, when you are just looking to level up.[/QUOTE]

On the 360 which RPGs would you recommend, taking into account my no sound policy?

I definitely agree with Catan, I played lots of that with the sound off. Lately I've been forced to listen to my games as Condemned does not go well without hearing the ambient noise of attackers around you.

I need to pick up a new sports game, but NHL 08 is still too expensive and the new NCAA football game isn't out. Maybe I'll grab an old Tiger Woods game.

bread's done
Back