Games work "flawlessly" on consoles

Reno Takamiya

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So I couldn't really find the right place to put this so I thought I might put it here.

If it's not the right place please move it.

Now I had this discussion with a person on another person they were discussing about how the new PS3 only allows so much RAM though it wasn't the RAM that it was about.

His question was why console enthusiasts worry about not being able to use all of the RAM because games on consoles run "flawlessly" in consoles and how people don't need to worry about System Requirements.

I asked him how he defines the world flawlessly when it comes to consoles and if the games really are flawless however he was talking about hardware issues the games have instead of Framerate, Screen Tearing or Bad Coding issues. Well excuse me for not reading between the lines.

I supplied him with a list that were not flawless games but he dismissed them and added the harddware issues.

The first quote is what he said, the second is the list of games I supplied that weren't flawless. The last quote is when he says about harddware upgrades and harddware problems when he didn't in the first place.

The bolded parts in the second list are his answer to the flawed games I supplied.

I have a question for you console enthusiasts.

Why do you care if your console does not dedicate the whole 8GB of ram for a game?
Console games are designed to run ''flawlessly'' in consoles. You people don't really need to worry about system requirements for console games.
Define flawlessly when it comes to video games.
I can make you a list of games that are not flawless and have a lot of problems.

Bayonetta (PS3) Screen Tearing and Low Frame Rate you can get an update to fix it but still the 360 version was superior. (EDIT: The Update didn't fix Framerate issues)
Mafia 2 (PS3) Version Screen Tearing and Low Frame Rate (More then 48MB to auto-save and then it needs more space after that)
State of Decay (Xbox 360) Texture Pop in and low frame rate.
Ride to Hell Retribution (PS3/360 PSN) Low Frame Rate, Spinning camera issues and bad gameplay.
Alone in the Dark (360) Bad driving and pretty much gameplay.
Pretty much any Movie/TV Show or game based on a Book unless it's a lego game. (Or Goldeneye/Spider-Man 2)
Pretty much any NIS America JRPG that came out recently.
The Walking Dead Survival Instinct that follows TV Show aspect but it wasn't as good as the Telltale game.
Aliens Colonial Marines a game that doesn't do it any justice, bad AI and gameplay.

There's a lot more out there but that's just the beginning.
You can look at the PS2 it has some as well. Look at Orphen it could have been good but it's riddled with glitches.

Same with the 360 and Original Xbox.

Your definition of flawless is probably the ability to just put it in and play but it's not as great as that seems.

Define flawlessly when it comes to video games.
I can make you a list of games that are not flawless and have a lot of problems.

Bayonetta (PS3) Screen Tearing and Low Frame Rate you can get an update to fix it but still the 360 version was superior. (EDIT: The Update didn't fix Framerate issues)
Update to fix? Nope, that's not related to hardware requirements.

Mafia 2 (PS3) Version Screen Tearing and Low Frame Rate (More then 48MB to auto-save and then it needs more space after that)
Screen Tearing and Low Frame Rate do not happen together as Screen Tearing is caused by FPS that are higher than the refresh rate, what you may refer to is not screen tearing, and is not hardware related.

State of Decay (Xbox 360) Texture Pop in and low frame rate.
Ride to Hell Retribution (PS3/360 PSN) Low Frame Rate, Spinning camera issues and bad gameplay.
Spinning Camera Issues, low FPS, that's poor coding.

Alone in the Dark (360) Bad driving and pretty much gameplay.
This has nothing to do with hardware.

Pretty much any Movie/TV Show or game based on a Book unless it's a lego game. (Or Goldeneye/Spider-Man 2)
Nothing to do with hardware.

Pretty much any NIS America JRPG that came out recently.

The Walking Dead Survival Instinct that follows TV Show aspect but it wasn't as good as the Telltale game.

Aliens Colonial Marines a game that doesn't do it any justice, bad AI and gameplay.

There's a lot more out there but that's just the beginning.
You can look at the PS2 it has some as well. Look at Orphen it could have been good but it's riddled with glitches.

Same with the 360 and Original Xbox.

Your definition of flawless is probably the ability to just put it in and play but it's not as great as that seems.

Since we are talking about hardware, let me make this straight from the beginning, I mean flawless as the ability for the games to work with the hardware in the console without requiring hardware upgrades.

All of the games that you have listed do not have any issues that are related to PS4,PS3,XboXone,Xbox' hardware.

It's just funny that you would have to ask my definition of flawless since the context in this discussion is Hardware, not video game coding and the ability for a team to make a good video game.
Anyways has anyone come across any games on any console that caused harddware issues?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Black Ops killed my original phat PS3 but I have no proof other than multiple people on forums saying the suspect the same thing.  I also had the Sony rep that I talked with to get my system fixed tell me he has seed a lot of systems failed with Black Ops in, but it was and is a popular game so maybe just coincidence.

I think WAY too much is being made about the available RAM in the next gen systems.  The PS3 has 256 mb of dedicated graphics RAM and I think games of now look great.  256mb!!!!!!  The next gen systems are going to have ten times over that amount for graphics, so no need to bitch about it. 

This is really the difference between PC and console gamers.  PC gamers want to be able to tweak performance and eliminate frame rates (and mod) while console gamers just want to plug and play.  Yeah, as a console gamer I turn a blind eye to screen tearing and frame rate drops, it's just the nature of console games...we deal with lower resolutions and other imperfections for convenience and it will ALWAYS be this way, even in the next gen.

Side-scrolling games suffer from being run in 30 frames per second as opposed to 60 frames per second. Sonic Generations is locked to 30 frames per second and while the side-scrolling levels are still playable, it's also a blurry mess (I'm playing the console version on a CRT, so it's not introducing any additional blurriness). The game is much more enjoyable on a PC that can run the game at 60 frames per second, and you don't need a high-end PC to accomplish that. A Radeon 6770 and a dual core AMD processor can get it done at 720p. 

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back