Gamespot's Red Steel Review

I wasn't.

Unless it has the words Tom Clancy, Prince of Persia, or Far Cry in it, I don't expect much out of Ubisoft.

This game always looked mediocre as hell from every screenshot I saw.

[quote name='Roufuss']

This game always looked mediocre as hell from every screenshot I saw.[/QUOTE]

well yeah I didn't expect much from the graphics quality either but I thought it would have at least decent gameplay

I was hoping this game would be well received, but I've been worried about it for some time now. It always seemed to have great potential, but videos of the game never struck me as particularly fluid.

Ouch, but I'm still buying it.

Is it me, or does there seem to be extreme bias towards the Big N from GS lately? BTW, Greg's my fave reviewer from GS.

I don't put too much stock in Gamespot's reviews, they are pretty damn arbitrary.

Really surprised to see so many of you taking that seriously.

And as far as UbiSoft, they also made Beyond Good and Evil, which is excellent.

[quote name='porieux']I don't put too much stock in Gamespot's reviews, they are pretty damn arbitrary.

Really surprised to see so many of you taking that seriously.

And as far as UbiSoft, they also made Beyond Good and Evil, which is excellent.[/quote]

what he said

Not really surprising. I've heard that generally you either love the controls or hate them, as it seems like GS has hated them along with the other aspects of the game. Hopefully this review is the exception and not the norm for those that were hyped to get it.

Never was interested, so it doesn't really matter if it gets a good or bad score from other reviews or not.

After reading that I know for sure the reviewer went beserk on this game. I mean after watching the game on on the spot, I thought wow I am so glad I am getting this game, and after playing just about every shooter for the original x-box I figured if they can put that in the game but with Wii controlls I will be hooked. Yeah so all that the gamespot review told me was that the reviewer wanted something uber perfect that was exactly what he wanted, and I mean uber perfect because for a LAUNCH game that is trying to implement the new controlls you don't expect this to be perfect first time, and to not be lenient about it, well (Now I could see the 6.5 for PS3 games that stink but giving a 5.5 just because they didn't do the controlls perfect and are still learning to program the fucking machine is kinda sad when there is about 6,000 fps on gs that got a 7 or higher for the original x-box, but because this didn't pull a gears of war awesomness well it gets a five (I want gears of war badly because that looks like a kickass game, but I kinda knew it wouldn't be as good, but apparently the reviewer did thought so...).

I'm not all that surprised, Red Steel always looked like a bargain bin game.

Hmm... I might be picking up Trauma Center as a second game, after all.

Seems that a lot of the Wii-mote functionality, in the current games, is pretty canned.

Sheesh....don't base your decision on what Gamespot says.
Try it yourself or at least read a bunch of other reviews.

That is a definite ouch. I was actually expecting this game to pull through in the end. It started as crap, but I believed that it really started shaping up toward the end of development.

Question now is... to get Red Steel or another game... hmm...

Definitely a lower score than I expected, but at least Metroid Prime 3 is coming next year. As usual, Nintendo's efforts on its own machine are going to far exceed most, if not all, 3rd party games.

The gaming press was critical of the game early on and it looks like it just never really improved significantly. I'm passing on this game--here's hoping LucasArts makes the Jedi lightsaber game for Wii we're all hoping for.

Way lower than I thought but also I think I got the same idea from IGN who played with it for bit. They said it was better than E3 and hopes that they make a sequal. This is one of the few games designed for the Wii made by a third party. So they are still getting used to the controls and style. I picked it up, might not open it yet though.

I bought it last night. So far the two games I have average a 5.25 GS review score (GT Pro and Red Steel).

Honestly? I like seeing good reviews, it's nice. Makes ya feel warm and fluzzy. But I've been buying games a LONG time. I remember when EVERYONE gave Wetrix fucking 3's and 2's. GamePro made it sound like syphillis. In reality, that game is fantastic. The world has done a bit of retroactive coverage where now they're like "oh, the excellent Wetrix" but when it came out... bad reviews, all around.

So the question ya gotta ask yourself when your own personal interest, hype or even purchase differs with a published review - Do you think you know more about games than that reviewer?

With that in mind, I'll be sleeping with my copy of Red Steel tonight.

Some digging around was interesting. I really like useing gamerankings.com. Beyond just compiling lists of reviews they actually rate the reviewers. So even if you don't know who they are, you can easily give some creedence to the reviewer based on past performances.

Ngamer UK is a print magazine that I never heard of before. They have 66 reviews on file with GameRankings. Their average score is 65.6% (which is good because it lets you know they just don't sling high numbers at games). More importantly... The overall average of all reviews (for all sites and magazines) of the same games they have reviews is 62.2%. Which means they're very close to what the overall average opinion is.

That said, they gave Red Steel a 90%.
http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/sitedetails.asp?siteid=1538

Point of honesty that I disagree with Ngamer's score for Cooking Mama, which I thought was delightful - but I acknowledge it's not a 'for everyone' game.

[quote name='porieux']Sheesh....don't base your decision on what Gamespot says.
Try it yourself or at least read a bunch of other reviews.[/quote]

Exactly. Singlehandedly judging a game based on one review, I don't know about all that...

Personally, I've always been a BIT wary of the game, but having watched a lot of the IGN videos that blingbangboom mentioned (especially one of the recent IGN Weekly videos I think it was where Matt and Mark Bozon showed off Red Steel) where they explained some of the flaws of the game, but actually put into perspective how those flaws can be looked past to make Red Steel a fun game...such as how they said that focusing so much negative attention towards the buggy turning might be a mistake, because of the Z-targeting feature, which really makes it an easier experience to maneuver and aim.

Regardless, this has always appeared to be one of those hit-or-miss games as far as reviewers are concerned - either you hate some of the controversial aspects of it or you are able to find a fun game. I think I'll dig it...so I'll keep my copy of it.

Haha. That review seems alright, but I like his complaint about not being able to use a gun during swordfights and swords during gunfights. What the fuck? Yeah, that would make the game fun. "Hey, you've got a sword, cool. Let me just pull out my Uzi... Well, that was a tough fight!"

[quote name='botticus']Haha. That review seems alright, but I like his complaint about not being able to use a gun during swordfights and swords during gunfights. What the fuck? Yeah, that would make the game fun. "Hey, you've got a sword, cool. Let me just pull out my Uzi... Well, that was a tough fight!"[/quote]

Haha, yeah. Greg Kasavin is a crazy fucker. :lol:

For better or worse, I'm not all that excited about Far Cry 2 weeks away, and COD3 has no multiplayer at all. So it looks like Red Steel is my default FPS at launch.

[quote name='botticus']For better or worse, I'm not all that excited about Far Cry 2 weeks away, and COD3 has no multiplayer at all. So it looks like Red Steel is my default FPS at launch.[/QUOTE]
I can wait for a decent FPS. I'll have Zelda and Trauma Center to keep me busy.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']Exactly. Singlehandedly judging a game based on one review, I don't know about all that...[/quote]

Yeah, but 5.5, thats so low that theres bound to be something seriously wrong with it, i can consider games thats over 7.5, but 5.5.... Gamespot may have some weird reviews, but they arent THAT off, Metroid is gonna be the first good shooter on the Wii.

I'm more interested in the Meta-Reviews than one single source, although that 5.5 is a pretty serious blow. People @ Ubisoft will be piiiiiiised! And didn't Nintendo help Ubisoft develop this game?

I'll still get it, if it sucks that bad I'll just sell/trade it. Chances are it won't be that incredibly terrible IMO. Maybe I'm just a little too optimistic and find the good in things...

[quote name='trip1eX']The GS reviewer had to balance out the 9.0 he gave PDZ for the 360.[/QUOTE]

Now that's funny. That game had one of the worst single player experiences that I've seen.

I still want to try the game, but I'll probably wait to open it until I hear some comments from people here about the game. Tomorrow is more about Wii Sports and Zelda as far as I'm concerned.

I remarked to my friend the other day that I thought Red Steel would be the "Perfect Dark Zero" of the Wii. Looks like it may be worse.

I had no intention of picking it up, so maybe I'm bias. I'm just glad that the two games I preordered (Zelda, TC) are getting positive reviews.

[quote name='trip1eX']The GS reviewer had to balance out the 9.0 he gave PDZ for the 360.[/QUOTE]

Wait, this reviewer gave PDZ a 9?

Opinion invalidated.

[quote name='evergoo']Ouch, but I'm still buying it.

Is it me, or does there seem to be extreme bias towards the Big N from GS lately? BTW, Greg's my fave reviewer from GS.[/quote]Only 9 replies until the "biased" card got played!

Wow... I think I'm gonna switch to NFS: Carbon since I was wanting a driving game anyway and pick this up on clearance later... Unless a stellar review shows up from somewhere else later today.
-G

Maybe such sites are "recalibrating" their review scores after all the news about high biases. Kinda sucks that it happens during a console launch but makes it better in the future to know which games are really "killer aps".

I've been skeptical of this one for a while...I'll wait till more reviews are in.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Maybe such sites are "recalibrating" their review scores after all the news about high biases. Kinda sucks that it happens during a console launch but makes it better in the future to know which games are really "killer aps".[/quote]Did anyone honestly think Red Steel was gonna be a killer app?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Did anyone honestly think Red Steel was gonna be a killer app?[/quote]Nope, I think the hope for Red Steel was that it would be a decent showcase of the FPS potential of the Wii. Whether it does that or not is unclear (control is the important part in that regard, even if the rest of the game is a steaming pile).

bread's done
Back