Gamespot's score of Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

D

Dick Tracy

Ouch.

The Good:
Compelling story mode; Interesting BMX trick system; Game contains a healthy dose of crunk juice.

The Bad:
The story mode is very short; Story mode holds your hand every step of the way; Classic mode contains old levels that aren't exactly "classic"; Minor but noticeable bugs; Connected city areas aren't connected as smoothly as you might think.

I'm glad I decided to wait and pick this one up later. Still sounds plenty enjoyable, but too damn short and easy, according to the review. I'll definitely pick it up when it hits the $20-30 range, though.

Makes me wonder if the XBOX 360 version will score higher...

I doubt it. It's an exact port, right? Bleh.

Also, if you watch the video review, they show how the "no load times" thing is a crock of shit.

Wow, IGN only gave it an 8.5 as well, which seems pretty low by their standards.

Oh well, I've loved everyone of these games so far, so I'm confident that I'll be satisfied with this on the 360 as well. I am somewhat disappointed that they included bikes this time around though. I've never really enjoyed any of the BMX games as much because you have to constantly turn your bike around so you are facing the right direction.

I liked the two THUG titles the best. I thought the over-the-top / surreal take on the series was refreshing and fun.

The were the hardest titles, too, which made the game a lot better. Apparently, American Wasteland is way too easy.

[quote name='Brak']I liked the two THUG titles the best. I thought the over-the-top / surreal take on the series was refreshing and fun.

The were the hardest titles, too, which made the game a lot better. Apparently, American Wasteland is way too easy.[/QUOTE]

Is it really easy, or is the fact that people have been playing TH games for 7 years factor into how expierenced they are at the game already?

on average, the THPS series has always scored around 8.5.

I love the THPS series, since it's one of the few non-fighting games that actually put my skills to use. I'll probably wait for a price dop, but I wouldn't mind picking this up right away either.

I have liked and own all of the tony hawk games. The said thing to me about that score is that there was so much hype with all the people saying how great this game will be and then the 7.5 hits. I have yet to play it but it can't be worse then the THUG 2 with all of those stupid ass "special" characters.

I played it earlier. If you're a fan of the series like I am, pick it up. However, I can wait.

It felt like I was playing Ninja Tony Hawk this time around. They can run up walls (WTF?), when you jump twice they do a flip in mid air, if you catch some air and decide to walk, he hits the ground and rolls to recover.. and you can spraypaint, so there's bound to be a "spray the logo at the top of the highest building" mission in there somewhere..

but yeah, I can wait for Ninja Tony Hawk to drop in price.

//edit: I guess it wouldn't be a Tony Hawk game unless a key feature was removed that shouldn't be: You can't use a created skater in story mode.

*goes back to playing THUG1*

Ouch, ill still pick this up being a huge fan of the series but i think its time to put it to rest for a few years and come back fresh

[quote name='Scorch']I played it earlier. If you're a fan of the series like I am, pick it up. However, I can wait.

It felt like I was playing Ninja Tony Hawk this time around. They can run up walls (WTF?), when you jump twice they do a flip in mid air, if you catch some air and decide to walk, he hits the ground and rolls to recover.. and you can spraypaint, so there's bound to be a "spray the logo at the top of the highest building" mission in there somewhere..

but yeah, I can wait for Ninja Tony Hawk to drop in price.

//edit: I guess it wouldn't be a Tony Hawk game unless a key feature was removed that shouldn't be: You can't use a created skater in story mode.

*goes back to playing THUG1*[/QUOTE]
Wow that sucks big time. The best part of any THPS was taking your CAS through story mode and getting all the godly stats. Guess I'll wait for THAW 2 lolz.

[quote name='javeryh']I think 7 games in 7 years is enough. I love TH games but after THPS3 they have kind of all felt the same...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the last one I picked up at release (and subsequently played the shit out of). I'll wait for $20 or less.

[quote name='Brak']I liked the two THUG titles the best. I thought the over-the-top / surreal take on the series was refreshing and fun.

The were the hardest titles, too, which made the game a lot better. Apparently, American Wasteland is way too easy.[/QUOTE]

Great, I can finally finish one... I beat TH1 with everything, but none of the others (I just don't care enough the technical aspects enough to get teh high scores; plus, yes, I suck).

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Is it really easy, or is the fact that people have been playing TH games for 7 years factor into how expierenced they are at the game already?[/QUOTE]

The game holds your hand as if the player were new to the series... the entire game. That's GameSpot's claim. If you watch the video review, they show you what they mean.

I played a little of story mode yesterday at a kiosk and I was somewhat disappointed. You start off the game not knowing how to manual or caveman. You learn the caveman pretty quickly, but it's pretty annoying that you have to go around and learn tricks that are already burned into the minds of everyone that has played six of these games. I only played for about 10 minutes, but this is the first time I've ever tried a Tony Hawk game and not felt that I had to buy it right then. I'm guessing that you aren't able to do spine transfers at the beginning of the story mode either, because I couldn't pull one off the two times that I tried.

Tony Hawk 2 on Dreamcast was the best Hawk game I ever played. So smooth, controls so crisp, one of the most fun and addicting games I ever played.

I rented THAW tonight and it is beter than THUG but not as great as THPS2&3. I am not far into it but you don't start with all the moves :cry:

[quote name='b3b0p']Tony Hawk 2 on Dreamcast was the best Hawk game I ever played. So smooth, controls so crisp, one of the most fun and addicting games I ever played.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. That's still my favorite sequel and console version. I remember geeking out when I first saw the character's clothing flap in the wind whenever they caught air.

Despite being disinterested in the more recent sequels, I was hoping in the back of my mind for a worthwhile reinvention this time around, but it looks like only the series' trademark tight control and combos are holding the game together instead of the actual new content. A 20 dollar purchase, possibly.

[quote name='GTmaster39']Bummer. I wonder how the DS version is gonna come out.[/QUOTE]

I hope the DS version is better than this. I think it is to have online play.

After Jeff Gerstmann gave Tony Hawk 3 on PS2 a perfect 10, was there ever really any hope that the series could actually improve from a perfect score? :D

Can't forget how lackluster they've gotten with the special characters now too. They don't even gave them their own special moves, so they are pretty generic and stupid to play with.

I heard of one secret character in THAW, and the Gamespot review mentions him... it would be awesome if he had voice samples and unique special moves, but it's like Neversoft stopped trying.

That used to be one of my favorite parts of the THPS games, going through career mode a ton because you never knew who you were going to unlock. Darth Maul, Spider-Man, Gene Simmons... those were some good times.

[quote name='redgopher']8.5 is not low.
7.5 is not low.[/QUOTE]

8.5 is not what was expected.
7.5 is not what was expected.

Probably the best in the series (and biggest turning points as well) were THPS2 and THUG1... I still play THUG now and then, becuase it feels the most well rounded. THUG2 just had too much damn odd crap... it felt more like a TV show, where THUG1 felt like actual skate life (being a former skater myself, it was nice).

I'll get this but probably the Special Edtition once a price drop hits.

Neversoft needs to take a break on THPS. 4 was the pinnacle, THUG was medicore, THUG 2 was garbage, and THAW seems to be the worst. 5 hours to complete? You gotta be fuckin' kidding me. This will get no purchase from me this year, and I'm a die hard THPS fan. Go back to drawing board.

[quote name='Brak']The game holds your hand as if the player were new to the series... the entire game. That's GameSpot's claim. If you watch the video review, they show you what they mean.[/QUOTE]

That's good for me since I haven't played a Hawk game since THPS2. I just picked up THAW today.

bread's done
Back