GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

I would say if you get a wireless 360 controller with the wireless dongle you won't be using your Ouya much... GameStick has less power but it does 90% of what my Ouya does. The Ouya I was able to play Dreamcast games on at decent speeds, I highly doubt they would be anywhere near playable on the GameStick. I have 3 GameSticks and 4 Ouyas so I can't really tell you if it's worth getting rid of lol.
Holy cow, what do you use all of those for?!

Got things up and running, couple thoughts -

The dock is great, and in my opinion, a must have - it actually incorporates the stick into the dock and adds an extra usb port. The device works great with my logitech wireless keyboard with trackpad, as well as my wired 360 controller.

- Performance on apps is mixed ... some of the emulators run great, others not so hot.

- The unit seems to run hot ... hopefully it doesn't burn down my house ... but the dock includes a fan, maybe that helps?

Now that we have a base of CAGs using these things, what do you guys think about starting a list of Must Have downloads for the device? Since these aren't exactly Android powerhouse units, it seems like we could get a list of everything that works really well specifically on the gamestick ... maybe get a discussion post going somewhere outside the deals board?
I think that is an awesome idea. Maybe setup a thread in the Mobile or Retro sections under Video Game Discussions?

Any reason to get one of these if I already have a Raspberry Pi model B? I've got 15k in PUR points so it would only be around $2 so I'm tempted to pick one up.
Most of us are stoked to be spending $20ish on this thing. If you can get it for $2 why not? What better use would you have for $2? One of those ultra cheap value meals at Taco Bell that come with Doritos?

My store pickup for the stick, controller and dock was cancelled. Went ahead and ordered the stick and dock on the site for delivery. $29 shipped.

Most of us are stoked to be spending $20ish on this thing. If you can get it for $2 why not? What better use would you have for $2? One of those ultra cheap value meals at Taco Bell that come with Doritos?
Don't be hating on the $2 meal deals!

For the longest time my local TB had the Gordita one for $2.00, or a Gordita by itself for $2.29!

Just a general question before I pull the trigger. 

After I do the initial set up for the Stick done, do I still need to have a mouse and keyboard set up or can I just use the controller to navigate?

Convenience it a big thing for me, and if I have to continue to use a mouse & keyboard, then the Ouya seems to be a better option.

Just a general question before I pull the trigger.

After I do the initial set up for the Stick done, do I still need to have a mouse and keyboard set up or can I just use the controller to navigate?

Convenience it a big thing for me, and if I have to continue to use a mouse & keyboard, then the Ouya seems to be a better option.
You will need at least a mouse of some kind. That way you can navigate to settings and turn on Bluetooth and pair the controller. After that you might be able to use the controller for navigation. Personally I plan on getting something like this.

You will need at least a mouse of some kind. That way you can navigate to settings and turn on Bluetooth and pair the controller. After that you might be able to use the controller for navigation. Personally I plan on getting something like this.
Hmm... I was afraid of that. Minor inconvenience though.

Did I see rumblings of the Ouya interface being an option for this as well?

Stock it doesn't, but when you put the custom Android firmware it can do pretty much anything. I put Netflix on mine, haven't tried Prime video but it should work fine.

I'm kinda meh on the emulators right now, but I probably just need to find better versions as I just grabbed some random ones and don't know which are good. However, SPMC is ridiculously awesome on this thing! Took me a while to figure out how to set it up but I logged on, watched one of the Justice League animated movies, then poked around a bit. You can really stream damn near anything on there it seems, and playback on the Gamestick is superb.

Does anyone see this as a signal that the New Nintendo 3DS is coming soon? 

Nintendo just said it is coming out in 2015. When? We do not know. 

One can assume that Nintendo wanted to sell off its current supply over holiday and then release system shortly after. 

Thoughts? 

Does this thing run emulators as well as the OG wii? That's been my emulator machine for a few years, but if this smaller device runs them just as well I can closet that thing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The gamestick is so slow on wifi. Am i the only one experiencing this? Any way to fix it?. Ipad, 3ds, phone, laptop, etc. have no problems at all.

I have one of those for my Fire TV. Works great. Haven't tinkered with the Gamestick yet though so I can't say for sure if it works.

I've been selling them like crazy locally... I mean seriously, I've gotten rid of my cable since installing TVADDONS in XBMC. I have literally never had a problem finding a tv show or movie I was searching for with that add-on. Hell, I watched Inspector Gadget on it last week. It even has an add-on called sports devil that will stream all of your live sports. TV shows are generally uploaded to the servers about 20mins after the show is aired and in HD no less.
Do you need to use your computer as a "receiver/base" like playON in order to use the xbmc? Reason I ask is I am not a fan of windows so therefore I have all CHROME computers. Chromebase and Chromebook. Or can I just run XBMC with the channels, live sports, etc... with JUST the gamestick? Thanks

The gamestick is so slow on wifi. Am i the only one experiencing this? Any way to fix it?. Ipad, 3ds, phone, laptop, etc. have no problems at all.
If you buy the dock, you can hook it up directly to an ethernet connection ... but yeah, the wifi is pretty awful on mine too, at least for downloads. The dock is cool ... when I bought it, I really had no idea why I needed it, but for $5 ... totally worth it. It keeps the stick safe, wirelessly charges the game pad, adds a second usb port, full SD card reader, an ethernet/lan port and basically acts as a case for the unit. And it comes with an hdmi cable, granted it's a m-f cable.

Will the gamestick controller work with the emulators or will it only work with GameStick's software? My Xbox 360 controller isn't working and playing Pokemon with a keyboard and mouse is just... weird.

We have game nights every Saturday at a friends and I'd love an easy device I could bring with me, so I'm looking for a specific use case.

Is this easy to just bring somewhere and use?  Where would one store the Roms to play?  And how easy is it to sync say my DS4 or 360 controllers?

Would it be ideal for this scenario?

If you ask me, there is no other way than to do this (as was posted before) and turn it into a REAL Android device:

http://gamestickers.net/index.php?topic=320.0

Then you can install youtube, Netflix, Google Play, Kodi 14 (XBMC! - it runs GREAT) and anything else your heart desires.

People come to my house asking me what I'm using when I have the Gamestick running on my TV, I tell them "Android on my television"...

They are impressed.

This honestly might be the best deal on the planet for emulation, XBMC, etc.

Grab a cheap remote control off Amazon (I recommend one with an air-remote feature) and you are GOLDEN.

If you ask me, there is no other way than to do this (as was posted before) and turn it into a REAL Android device:

http://gamestickers.net/index.php?topic=320.0

Then you can install youtube, Netflix, Google Play, Kodi 14 (XBMC! - it runs GREAT) and anything else your heart desires.

People come to my house asking me what I'm using when I have the Gamestick running on my TV, I tell them "Android on my television"...

They are impressed.

This honestly might be the best deal on the planet for emulation, XBMC, etc.

Grab a cheap remote control off Amazon (I recommend one with an air-remote feature) and you are GOLDEN.
Can you link that remote, please?

How is the controller on this? This sounds really interesting but only if the controller isn't bad.

Edit: You can DS3's, never mind. I will have to grab one if my GS has one tomorrow after I get paid. This would solve a lot of problems I have right now and I can potentially use it for development which would be so nice.

The controller isn't complete garbage, but it's not that great either. The PS3 is awesome in it and most emulators recognize it and auto configure it.

Speaking of emulators, what have you guys found that works best on this? I've tried some random ones and they work, but aren't super great. I'm probably just picking the wrong ones.

I finally got the stick setup fine but the only problem I seem to have is when I'm on the SPMC it will sometimes reboot the stick. It's frustrating because I'll be watching a show and it will reboot halfway through.

Anyway to fix this?

If you buy the dock, you can hook it up directly to an ethernet connection ... but yeah, the wifi is pretty awful on mine too, at least for downloads. The dock is cool ... when I bought it, I really had no idea why I needed it, but for $5 ... totally worth it. It keeps the stick safe, wirelessly charges the game pad, adds a second usb port, full SD card reader, an ethernet/lan port and basically acts as a case for the unit. And it comes with an hdmi cable, granted it's a m-f cable.
Thanks mate, i will buy it then.

Picked up a console and dock during lunch. What version Android is the custom ROM? Looked like it may have been ICS.

Has anyone had any trouble with trying to get this into recovery mode?

I can seem to get it to work. And also if wireless keyboards will work in revocery mode.

Thanks!

Mine is too, maybe because I have it in the dock with the controller charging on top? Since I have the dock I'm just going to make an ethernet cable and use it that way.

I had to use my small pocket knife to get it to click. It's a slider switch not a button to press.
Thanks, got it to work. Had to jam a flat head screwdriver from an eye glass repair kit in to it, but it worked. Still no click. I'm pretty sure it's not possible for me to click it with my fingers, but a tool worked just fine.

I haven't messed with it yet, but the next step is to install Genesis.

Has anyone had any trouble with trying to get this into recovery mode?

I can seem to get it to work. And also if wireless keyboards will work in revocery mode.

Thanks!
I had to use a small pocket knife to press the slider, another person posted they used a screw driver from an eye glass repair kit.

Wireless keyboard should be fine as long as it has a USB receiver. I say should, I haven't tried this myself.

I cant seem to get a wireless or wired keyboard keyboard to work in recovery mode.
I had to use a small pocket knife to press the slider, another person posted they used a screw driver from an eye glass repair kit.

Wireless keyboard should be fine as long as it has a USB receiver. I say should, I haven't tried this myself.
I cant seem to get a wireless or wired keyboard keyboard to work in recovery mode.

I get there, but can seem to move up or down at all. Any tips?

Nvm found while searching in these forums. My problem was I was plugging the usb keyboard after getting into recovery mode. You have to have it plugged in before entering recovery mode to get tge keyboard to finally work.

Updating as we speak. Thanks guys and hope this helps!!

I borrowed a wired keyboard from work and it worked no problem! 3rd time was a charm for me on keyboards, I appreciate everyone trying to help me in this thread. I'm gonna hopefully try out a game in a few minutes. So excited.

This thing is pretty great for $17. Picked one up yesterday that wouldn't stay powered on. Got a new one today and it works great, and so easy to set up. Thanks for all the info OP.

I borrowed a wired keyboard from work and it worked no problem! 3rd time was a charm for me on keyboards, I appreciate everyone trying to help me in this thread. I'm gonna hopefully try out a game in a few minutes. So excited.
I'm really glad to hear you got it running. I was completely out of ideas as to what the issue was. Looks like your persistence payed off.

Is it just my area or do Gamestops not know how to use the store pickup function? I never get a response and when I get tired enough of waiting, I just go to the store and they give me the item without mentioning anyone was trying to place a hold on it. I want to get this thing, but it's not worth the 30 mile drive just to find out they don't have it.

Is it just my area or do Gamestops not know how to use the store pickup function? I never get a response and when I get tired enough of waiting, I just go to the store and they give me the item without mentioning anyone was trying to place a hold on it. I want to get this thing, but it's not worth the 30 mile drive just to find out they don't have it.
Depends on store. I had one hold and got it today. Didn't have dock but another store 40 miles away did so they called and will ship it to home store for free (great service). Talked with one manager and he said store got cleaned out last thu and fri of all gamestick items.

Should I upgrade SPMC/xbmc to 14.0? If so how or what are the steps in doing so?

Also im really new to this, what can you do with it :) and how

bread's done
Back