GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

I got the last one from my local Gamestop for $17, but I had a few questions about this thing before I decide to open it. I really like the concept but I want to make sure it does the things I want it to.

1. In total, how many consoles can be emulated? I count NES, SNES, PSP, Dreamcast, Genesis and MAME. Am I missing any?

2. What type of memory cards work with this?

3. Where can I get the charge dock and how much is it?

4. Will the XBMC app also keep track of my progress in each video like the PC version?

5. Is XBMC what I use to also watch videos saved inside the stick?

6. How many controllers can be paired with this thing? Also do you require an additional dongle to use a PS3 controller?

I basically got this with the aspiration of taking it to a friend's house whenever I've got a game/movie to show. I just want to make sure it's easy to use and does everything I would like.

Does anyones Dock get really loud and turn on overtime? Just noticed it turns on after a while when using it. Guessing its a fan but its pretty loud, like 1st gen xbox 360 jets loud lol.

Just curious :)

I wonder if this is a good indicator of how many cags are in your area.  My zip (87501) has 12 stores with the gamestick in stock.  Was 13 before I got one and that was Saturday evening.  Maybe its just me.  

I actually slightly modified the controller to get a better bluetooth signal with a wire acting as an antenna.  Out of the box it's pretty terrible, I would say 10ft max.
20140917_211533.jpg

Does anyones Dock get really loud and turn on overtime? Just noticed it turns on after a while when using it. Guessing its a fan but its pretty loud, like 1st gen xbox 360 jets loud lol.

Just curious :)
Yep .. that's the fan ... letting you know the unit is still alive ;)

ps3.png

You can actually sync a ps3 controller with it using this app.  Just know that in doing so you are emulating the ps3 proprietary signal and you can't have any other bluetooth devices running at the same time.

This is probably a dumb question, but would this pair with the Tablet version of Skylanders ... the portal is bluetooth as far as I'm aware, though I doubt this could run the app right?

This is probably a dumb question, but would this pair with the Tablet version of Skylanders ... the portal is bluetooth as far as I'm aware, though I doubt this could run the app right?
If the tablet is android I don't see why it wouldn't work for this as well...

So GS is officially OOS online lol.  Pretty funny considering they couldn't give these things away 2 days ago.

Thanks for the topic and all the info on installing a custom ROM. Got the last two at my Gamestop and the only dock. Going to mess around with it later tonight.

I'm really glad to hear you got it running. I was completely out of ideas as to what the issue was. Looks like your persistence payed off.
Thanks you for all your help! I just had bad luck with the first 2 keyboards but I figured I would give it one more shot. The rest of the setup was a piece of cake. Now I just gotta try out different emulators.

Are you or anyone else having issues with the ps1 retroarch emulator with a ps3 controller? The buttons work fine but the dpad barely responds unless you're pressing hard and joysticks don't respond at all. I had perfect controls on some game boy advance games.

Thanks you for all your help! I just had bad luck with the first 2 keyboards but I figured I would give it one more shot. The rest of the setup was a piece of cake. Now I just gotta try out different emulators.

Are you or anyone else having issues with the ps1 retroarch emulator with a ps3 controller? The buttons work fine but the dpad barely responds unless you're pressing hard and joysticks don't respond at all. I had perfect controls on some game boy advance games.
Meh, this is a MUCH better PS1 emu.
http://epsxe.com/android/

If you guys want I could make an APK pack of all of the best emulators.  Though I would still recommend finding them through the Play Store so as that you will always have the latest version.

Thank you, I'll give that a shot. This is all new to me.

I think maybe a list of the best emulators in the first post would be helpful?

I bought the dock and when i connect it to the tv the screen is blank. Do you think my cable is broken?

This is so frustrating trying to get everything to work. I've had to flash it twice and I feel like SNES9x is lagging with the stock controller. Would having a wired controller make a difference? I've tried using my wired and the stock controller with ePSXe also and it's giving me such a hard time and just not working properly. Ugh.

If you guys want I could make an APK pack of all of the best emulators. Though I would still recommend finding them through the Play Store so as that you will always have the latest version.
I think that would be very helpful for everyone. If you do release said .apk I just want everyone to know that installing an .apk is easy. Put the file on your Micro SD card. After you have the CFW installed click the app launcher (little white grid work in the upper right hand corner) and select appinstaller. Just browse to the file on your Micro SD card and it takes over from there.

Yup. That's why you have normally have 30+ streams to choose from. It's a dice roll on which ones will work.
Well it's not even that, some episodes don't even load the stream list page because it says no streams available. Example is Little Couple the latest season.

This thing is pretty great for $17. Picked one up yesterday that wouldn't stay powered on. Got a new one today and it works great, and so easy to set up. Thanks for all the info OP.
the same thing happened to me… me thinks this has a high failure rate. so far the new one seems to be working good.

I got the last one from my local Gamestop for $17, but I had a few questions about this thing before I decide to open it. I really like the concept but I want to make sure it does the things I want it to.

1. In total, how many consoles can be emulated? I count NES, SNES, PSP, Dreamcast, Genesis and MAME. Am I missing any?

2. What type of memory cards work with this?

3. Where can I get the charge dock and how much is it?

4. Will the XBMC app also keep track of my progress in each video like the PC version?

5. Is XBMC what I use to also watch videos saved inside the stick?

6. How many controllers can be paired with this thing? Also do you require an additional dongle to use a PS3 controller?

I basically got this with the aspiration of taking it to a friend's house whenever I've got a game/movie to show. I just want to make sure it's easy to use and does everything I would like.
1. Dont forget Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Sega Master System (Sega 8bit console) Atari 2600, N64 and PS1.

2. You need a Micro SD card for the CFW (custom firmware) install. If you get the dock you can use a normal SD card after the CFW install for more storage.

3. If you GameStop didn't have them I've seen them at Amazon for $18.97 and on Ebay for around $20

4. I haven't had any luck with that feature using Genisis. But I just started using XBMC/SBMC yesterday. Maybe someone else can offer a better answer on this one.

5. You can yes, or any other video play from the PlayStore like VLC.

6. If you use the GameStick brand controllers I think you can pair 4. With a dual shock 3 I'm not sure. My gut tells me just one, but again I could wrong.

Well it's not even that, some episodes don't even load the stream list page because it says no streams available. Example is Little Couple the latest season.
ShowBox is an awesome alternative... It takes all of the headache out of finding a good link on xbmc, though not as good quality as the HD files on xbmc. Give it a shot.
http://www.tinylinks.co/BCOXg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine kept doing that but i have it plugged to USB 5V .5A and switched it over to a USB 5V 1A and it stopped crashing. I suggest you use the power outlet adapter that the stick came with.
Agreed. I've used about 20 different sticks and put them through hell and haven't ran into this problem.

Picked mine up today, thanks OP. To my surprise it was still totally sealed. The employee seemed like he was on the fence of buying one too, because he said the 2 he had sitting for ages at his other store just sold in the past couple days

2. You need a Micro SD card for the CFW (custom firmware) install. If you get the dock you can use a normal SD card after the CFW install for more storage.
So before I consider using the dock for storage, I have to use a Micro SD card first to install the firmware?

Also, I'm curious how the dock works. Do I have to have the controller plugged into it in order to access things stored in the SD card?

I don't know if this has been posted but I suggest you guys activate zero cache so SPMC can buffer fully and you won't have any interruptions. The XPMC hub rep should be at http://fusion.tvaddons.ag

http://youtu.be/9-IU4C2WO5A

Just skip the part about backup and activate Zero Cache.

So before I consider using the dock for storage, I have to use a Micro SD card first to install the firmware?

Also, I'm curious how the dock works. Do I have to have the controller plugged into it in order to access things stored in the SD card?
You need a micro sd card, don't worry about the dock until after the initial setup is done.

Coming from iOS, I'm going to be blunt here .. I'm not seeing any android game apps I can't get on iOS, at least as far as high quality games go.

Anyone who is more familiar with Android want to counter with a few suggestions for exclusives?

You have to use a Micro SD card on the gamestick because that is the only size card the gamestick can use on it's own. The gamestick must outside of the dock to do the CFW install because you have the hold in the reset button while powering on, The reset button is not reachable while the gamestick is inside the dock.

When then gamestick is in the dock, the dock connects to the gamestick using the one mini USB port on the gamestick. Then on the dock you have two normal USB ports, one Ethernet(LAN) and one normal size SD card slot. You do not have to have the included controller turned on, you can use a USB keyboard and mouse, or a wireless keyboard and mouse with a usb nano receiver.

I hope that helps.

Coming from iOS, I'm going to be blunt here .. I'm not seeing any android game apps I can't get on iOS, at least as far as high quality games go.

Anyone who is more familiar with Android want to counter with a few suggestions for exclusives?
As far as games on the Google Play Store vs. Apple App Store. Nothing really comes to mind, but the option to install emulators from the Google Play Store or side load any .apk you want is a pretty powerful feature. In my opinion at least.

So my gamestick didn't come with that split cable to attach the keyboard to install the firmware, am I SOL? I bought it for $20 awhile ago but just now trying to mess with it.

Finally found a store less than 5 miles away that had a dock so I bought one along with a system. The Gamestop app also said they had an extra controller but the guy couldn't find it. I might want to play two player with someone else at some point but it's doubtful that I will anytime soon, so I didn't fuss. The biggest thing that happened was that I found a boxed pre-owned copy of Buzz Quiz for PS3. It had the buzzers and the game disc but no case and booklet, but for $2.69 after PUR card, the price was just right.

I'm really looking forward to messing around with Gamestick since I like hobbyist stuff. I'm hoping I can figure out how to get everything to work, but I'm a bit too tired to play with it tonight.

As far as games on the Google Play Store vs. Apple App Store. Nothing really comes to mind, but the option to install emulators from the Google Play Store or side load any .apk you want is a pretty powerful feature. In my opinion at least.
Definitely great features, especially at this price. I think i'm just a bit spoiled, as I recently jailbroke my ipad and have been enjoying those features as well. But this is great for it's size and flexibility with just about any HDMI tv or monitor.

I am sorry if this has been answered before, but it doesn't let me search apk or rom in this forum.

What are the steps to getting emulator apk's and adding/playing the roms to the stick?

Like a GBC emulator for instance. Also do Ds/psp emulators work well on here or not at all/lag.

I really dont think anyone is buying this to play actual android games on. Emulation and streaming media are where this thing is appealing.

But to counter your point is there any ios device you can even get for under $20?

Can you link that remote, please?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=air+remote

I have the first one on that list (or one just like it - if you scroll down, there are others with different names that are identical to it).

I can't say for certain, but I would be willing to bet most "air mouse" remotes work ok. I like the keyboard on the back of mine.

You could always just use a regular remote control, and lose the mouse function. Everything can be selected by using a D-pad and select button.

bread's done
Back