GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

1 didn't work.
2 5sec turned off the stick
idk what I'm doing wrong! Maybe its a faulty controller.
Do the step where you press the button to go in pairing mode (blinking lights on your controller), then go to into the settings menu on the android end>bluetooth>pair device.

There you should see you can now pair with the gamestick controller. You can navigate with it as well, which works O.K.

Call my crazy but I sprung for the whole package. I got the system, a second controller, the charger base and the controller case. I barely spend over $30. Amazing considering this package would have originally cost me over $150. 

I'm having a lot of fun with it. I still think the Ouya is a better product but the GameStick is still really cool. Great little device for travel. 

Ok so full android like op, or the developers route like I've seen online?? I've been messing with a firetv stick a couple weeks ago and love it.
Never mind read ops other post! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine last night. 

It's a confusing as hell initial setup. Just absolute garbage.

I immediately put the stick into dev mode and started sideloading emulators. 

The only thing I dont like at this point is the need to use a mouse to navigate around. I'ts a minor thing, but still annoying. 

NES, SNES, Genesis, NeoGeo are the ones I'm hitting first. 

If you get the dock you can use just a good old fashioned USB stick to store your games.

I got mine last night.

It's a confusing as hell initial setup. Just absolute garbage.

I immediately put the stick into dev mode and started sideloading emulators.

The only thing I dont like at this point is the need to use a mouse to navigate around. I'ts a minor thing, but still annoying.

NES, SNES, Genesis, NeoGeo are the ones I'm hitting first.

If you get the dock you can use just a good old fashioned USB stick to store your games.
How do you put it into dev mode?

How do you put it into dev mode?
There's a step by step process. Basically you have to do the initial set up, then you can put it into dev mode after your register on the gamestick developers site.

Im not going to go through the hassle of a full android wipe. I have tons of other devices that run NEtflix and Hulu, etc. My main goal was a retro machine.... so far it works.

I'm still considering upgrading to an Ouya though due to the convenience factor.

Wait, after you switch the OS to full Android you still have to use a mouse & keyboard to select apps and games on the Gamestick? You can't select programs using the controller?

I got a GameStick for about this price a few months back, but still prefer using the OUYA. You can get one for $60 or so online and it comes with tons of emulators right on its storefront, with a super-easy sideloading solution thanks to their Upload feature. It's also got a far better lineup of games on the platform and the overwhelming majority are free to try too.

Wait, after you switch the OS to full Android you still have to use a mouse & keyboard to select apps and games on the Gamestick? You can't select programs using the controller?
I was able to use the GameStick controller to navigate somewhat, but ran into problems a few times. It should work for basic operations, though.

So I don't have the split USB cable, pretty sure mine did not come with one. Is there any alternative way to hook up a keyboard or anything to navigate the factory reset menu?

I use a mouse and keyboard willingly. Way more comfortable than my wired 360 controller, although I can use the controller if I want.

Is there a remote(like a tv remote) that would work with this? I want to get one and the only thing I would use it for is xbmc and Netflix on the downstairs tv, but I would want the convenience of a remote when watching stuff

I got a GameStick for about this price a few months back, but still prefer using the OUYA. You can get one for $60 or so online and it comes with tons of emulators right on its storefront, with a super-easy sideloading solution thanks to their Upload feature. It's also got a far better lineup of games on the platform and the overwhelming majority are free to try too.
Please quit spamming this thread with your Ouya advertisement. Seriously, you sound like a commercial.

Picked mine up last night. Installed Android right away, I guess I found my new emulation machine (I'll keep my Raspberry Pi for media center).

Thanks for the heads up!

Can you go from dev mode to full Android later? Typically, I'm terrible at stuff like this but I just want to see if I can get emus running first before I go further, although I would love to see if I could get the Android version of Crazy Taxi to run on this thing.

Some of these questions are answered in this thread guys....I know it's 15 pages long, but honestly - if you are interested in learning about this device, READ THIS THREAD :) Lots of good info here....

Anyhow, My thoughts:

1. GO FULL ANDROID with the CFW 1.4. It works GREAT. Maybe putting it into Dev Mode works too, but for me - the android version is smooth and works awesome. Let's fact it - Gamestick games suck anyway. You won't miss them.

2. The original controller still works in full android, but you might have to pair it. It's a crappy controller though IMO....so maybe find something else! There are plenty of sites explaining how to pair controllers in Android.

3. Most USB remote controls (RF or 2.4ghz or otherwise) should work. I own a USB 2.4GHZ air-mouse, and it works great. I also used a standard WMC USB RF remote, and it too worked great. I recommend searching through the Amazon reviews for a remote control you like, to see if it's compatible with android or XBMC. It should be fine for this.

4. Ethernet (using the dock) can be used with the CFW if you look around for the fix (also in this thread)

5. Wireless works surpsingly well! I stream 720P video and HD Youtube on it all day long, and that's through a wireless extender! Try it before you go strictly dock w/ ethernet. You might be surprised.

6. I used the SPMC (included) for a while, but it didn't allow me to install certain add-ons for some reason. I went with Kodi 14 (newest version) right from the website (make sure you pick the ARM version), and it's AMAZING. The only issue I ran into is that Kodi locks the resolution to 720p on my TV, so while in Android I had to put the display settings to 720P. For the most part, you can't tell a difference and it probably allows it to run a little better anyhow. You might not have the same resolution locking issue, so YMMV.

7. I have an ouya, with both the "stock" XBMC from the Ouya store, and also a sideloaded Gotham release. Call me crazy, but this runs BETTER using Kodi than what I've seen on the Ouya. Sure, Ouya probably emulates some systems better, but I'm using my modded Xbox for emulation so I don't care much about that. This Gamestick  w/ CFW is a great media streamer, especially since you can install almost ANY Android app on it. I have Youtube, Netflix, Google Play, Pandora, Slacker Radio, Kodi, etc.

Hope this helps some of you...

Finally managed to sync the controller, had to hold the power button on the controller for 5 secs then go to the settings

Some other silly questions:

1) someone knows the mapping of the controller? and how to change it if possible?

2) how do you turn the stick off/sleep from the controller if possible?

Please quit spamming this thread with your Ouya advertisement. Seriously, you sound like a commercial.
Spamming the thread? I made a single post. I think that this system isn't worth $20 and that the money would be better spent on something else. An OUYA offers up a far better lineup of games, with some of the same library as the GameStick, but free to try. It also has a far better controller. The FireTV Stick is only $40 new and is fairly easy to sideload things to as well, and it's compatible with a lot of bluetooth pads.

Has anyone actually managed to get Wifi to work decently through this thing? I can't even browse the playstore without it disconnecting constantly.

Spamming the thread? I made a single post. I think that this system isn't worth $20 and that the money would be better spent on something else. An OUYA offers up a far better lineup of games, with some of the same library as the GameStick, but free to try. It also has a far better controller. The FireTV Stick is only $40 new and is fairly easy to sideload things to as well, and it's compatible with a lot of bluetooth pads.
I don't think anyone in this thread is buying this device for android gaming. I can't speak for everyone, but I bought one for the streaming capabilities, and the emulation is a cherry on top. I doubt I'll play a single android game on this. Sure, OUYA is probably a better device, but this is CAG after all. You'd be hard pressed to find something with all these features for under $20.

Has anyone actually managed to get Wifi to work decently through this thing? I can't even browse the playstore without it disconnecting constantly.
No and I can't get the ethernet on the dock going through my computer for wireless to work.

Plus, using virtual wifi from this freezes my comp.

People have been avoiding the most important question:

CAN I PLAY KONGREGATE GAMES ON HERE COME COUPON TIME??????

Will the GameStick Controller Pair with the Amazon FireTV Stick?

Might be a nice cheap controller to use on my new FireTV Stick :D

Has anybody done this, assuming its just a normal bluetooth controller. Mainly want to use it like a mouse to navigate some of the apps that require it, like the TWC TV Application.

Somebody sure was persistent!  I went to pick up my Gamestick from the mall GS this morning and they told me that some guy was trying to convince them last night to sell my held one, just like the other GS told me last night about the dock.   I'm pretty sure it was the same guy.  I wonder if it was another CAG or some asswipe SD'er..?

Im not going to go through the hassle of a full android wipe.
The hassle took all of 2 minutes. Seriously.

Will the GameStick Controller Pair with the Amazon FireTV Stick?

Might be a nice cheap controller to use on my new FireTV Stick :D

Has anybody done this, assuming its just a normal bluetooth controller. Mainly want to use it like a mouse to navigate some of the apps that require it, like the TWC TV Application.
The Gamestick controller will pair with the Amazon FireTV Stick. I grabbed a gamestick to use as an android device so the controller was useless to me, so for shits and giggles I paired it to my Amazon stick, works well.

I also picked up a 2nd stick and my 1st dock today. Hard pressed to find an android device like this for under $20. Thanks again OP.

The Gamestick controller will pair with the Amazon FireTV Stick. I grabbed a gamestick to use as an android device so the controller was useless to me, so for shits and giggles I paired it to my Amazon stick, works well.

I also picked up a 2nd stick and my 1st dock today. Hard pressed to find an android device like this for under $20. Thanks again OP.
How does the controller act on the fire tv? like a mouse or keyboard like? Wish I could make the controller act as a mouse as well for the right thumb stick

How is the FireTV Stick better?

As he stated, going full android takes less time than doing the stupid updates to put it in dev mode and is more functional. You will also find that dev mode will crap out on you sometimes and show the "controller not connected" symbol even when the controller is synced. Everything about the GameStick's stock firmware is broken, go custom firmware.

ARGH... why did I buy this when I have the Ouya , my WD TVLIVE and Fire TV stick???!??!?
Because none of those are all of these all at once:

1. An android device capable of sideloading anything
2. In stick form
3. Less than $20
4. Hackable

:)

If I have a 128gb Sandisk usb drive, will that work with the hub? I'm asking because I haven't opened it yet. I know it can support SD cards up to 64 gb, but would the drive work with this?

For any CAGs wondering about XBMC / Kodi installation on their new Gamestick, check out this link. Probably the quickest, easiest, and pain free way to get set up with all of your add ons. This is pretty amazing. Glad I found one locally. Thanks again OP, and everyone who contributed to the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQHlX9kF7Tc

If I have a 128gb Sandisk usb drive, will that work with the hub? I'm asking because I haven't opened it yet. I know it can support SD cards up to 64 gb, but would the drive work with this?
Yep, all USB mass storage devices should be visible. I have a 2TB external hdd hooked up to mine.

The reason I supplied the CFW with SPMC over the newly released Kodi 14.0 is that some add-ons (such as 1Channel) haven't updated to work with Kodi 14.0 yet.  However, I believe Genesis DOES work with Kodi which has all of the links that 1Channel does anyway so it shouldn't be a problem.

bread's done
Back