GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

Ok, I picked one up yesterday for $17

Also found a cart-only copy of Cave Story 3DS, while I was there, picked up for $14 with 20% B-day coupon.

Off to figure out how to convert this, looks a little more complicated than i thought, requires a USB keyboard...

Those still exist? Argh
Got it sorted. USB mouse had to be plugged in before booting into recovery. Second time booting it was recognized. Using the scroll wheel is WAY better than moving the mouse, which will roll the menu way too fast. Installing now!

FYI, you can plug in the USB and then quickly press and hold the reset before the lights come on... much easier than trying to do simultaneously

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know of a good, working addon for live TV channels in Kodi? I love Genesis, about to mess around with sports devil a bit later as well, but it would be nice to have some live stuff like news channels. Think that would cover all my bases.

For whatever reason, the streaming stick is working today and it's working with this generic wireless mouse and keyboard combo. Just going to install CFW during lunch and will mess around with the other stuff this weekend. Odd that it was having trouble on my big Sony Bravia but not the little black Friday special Sharp non-Aquos that I keep in the bedroom lol

I've never had so much difficulty with a reset button in my life.  Couldn't tell if I was pushing it down with my paper clip.

I've never had so much difficulty with a reset button in my life. Couldn't tell if I was pushing it down with my paper clip.
dont push it, it is more like a slide until you hear it click, then hold and power on, I did the same thing.

Does anyone know of a good, working addon for live TV channels in Kodi? I love Genesis, about to mess around with sports devil a bit later as well, but it would be nice to have some live stuff like news channels. Think that would cover all my bases.
Let me know how Sports Devil is, nwed to install that

Also, is Kodi and Sbmc the same thing?

Bought one on Monday but had to return it because it kept shutting off, they didn't have anymore in stock so they ordered one online and got it yesterday.  I was able to flash it but the play store is really slow and I haven't been able to install anything yet, I think this might be because of my wifi signal of where i have the stick.  I'll try it closer to my router and see if it's any better.  Either way thanks for the heads up as it's not bad for $17.

I got mine up and running yesterday.  Three questions. Using a wireless mouse... how to I click and hold to add a folder/widget or to remove something on the home screen?

Second question....can it be upgraded to the current kitkat release or even LP?

Third...how do you shut it off without unplugging it?

Sports Devil is amazing. I usually just use a web browser and browse sites like firstrow and (now defunct) wiziwig to get my sports fix. This uses the same streams and is 100x better. No more annoying popups, easy to browse, easy to use. Can't recommend it enough. I'm currently watching the dart championship on BT Sport 2 on it lol. Can't comment on the difference between Kodi and Sbmc, but Kodi has been pretty much flawless for me so far.

Bought one on Monday but had to return it because it kept shutting off, they didn't have anymore in stock so they ordered one online and got it yesterday. I was able to flash it but the play store is really slow and I haven't been able to install anything yet, I think this might be because of my wifi signal of where i have the stick. I'll try it closer to my router and see if it's any better. Either way thanks for the heads up as it's not bad for $17.
Be sure to download the wifi booster and the wifi widget. Also try to use the HDMI extender to get it away from your TV a bit. I've heard that with some newer TVs some of the components interfere with the signal. Downloading the apps and putting the dock in my entertainment cabinet below the TV seemed to help me immensely. Hope you get it sorted!

SPMC is built off of kodi. I believe it uses the Gotham 13.4 release. SPMC was built specifically for mobile devices and built around the type of cpu thats in the Gamestick. So if anyone is having playback problems switch to SPMC. of course YMMV.

I got mine up and running yesterday. Three questions. Using a wireless mouse... how to I click and hold to add a folder/widget or to remove something on the home screen?

Second question....can it be upgraded to the current kitkat release or even LP?

Third...how do you shut it off without unplugging it?
You create a folder by dropping multiple icons on the screen onto each other and it makes a folder, widgets you go to the main app drawer (looks like some dots grouped together at the top right) and go over to the right to the next page and all of your widgets will be there to drag where you want them.

It can't be upgraded to a newer version of android (as of yet) because newer builds don't support this chipset.

You don't shut it off, it either turns off when you turn your tv off or if you're using AC you unplug it. It's only using 5v of power so it's nothing to be concerned about.

Bought one on Monday but had to return it because it kept shutting off, they didn't have anymore in stock so they ordered one online and got it yesterday. I was able to flash it but the play store is really slow and I haven't been able to install anything yet, I think this might be because of my wifi signal of where i have the stick. I'll try it closer to my router and see if it's any better. Either way thanks for the heads up as it's not bad for $17.
You probably were using your tv to power it and the tv's usb output wasn't enough steady power. The AC adapter would had probably fixed your problem.

for those having keyboard troubles I finally got it working by having the keyboard plugged in (and powered) then attaching the power to the stick (already plugged into hdmi).  i was then able to change the menu and flash the rom.  

is there anyway to load files onto the stick memory?  i've got roms/etc on my PC but no spare SD card at the moment and it'd be nice to use the existing space on the stick if possible.

for those having keyboard troubles I finally got it working by having the keyboard plugged in (and powered) then attaching the power to the stick (already plugged into hdmi). i was then able to change the menu and flash the rom.

is there anyway to load files onto the stick memory? i've got roms/etc on my PC but no spare SD card at the moment and it'd be nice to use the existing space on the stick if possible.
That's exactly how I got mine to work. XD

Dropbox might work, I've only used it at my job, but my understanding of it, it shoudl work.

Got mine a few days ago, and have gotten it up and running during that time.  I followed the OP's video and had no problems.  I did disable the bluetooth when using the wifi, as was suggested somewhere in this thread, and the speed seems enough to dl the apps.  Thanks!

You create a folder by dropping multiple icons on the screen onto each other and it makes a folder, widgets you go to the main app drawer (looks like some dots grouped together at the top right) and go over to the right to the next page and all of your widgets will be there to drag where you want them.

It can't be upgraded to a newer version of android (as of yet) because newer builds don't support this chipset.

You don't shut it off, it either turns off when you turn your tv off or if you're using AC you unplug it. It's only using 5v of power so it's nothing to be concerned about.
I tried clicking and holding one of the home screen icon programs and it won't allow me to remove it from the home screen (like if I were to tap and hold on an android phone).

I was wondering if anyone had any luck using a wired controller other than the Xbox 360 controller?

I've been trying to get my Logitech F310 recognized, to no avail :(

Other than that, I love the Stick so far!

Okay, so after installing Kodi I went ahead and installed Genesis as well, and the playback is all jacked up, as in the picture is positioned wrong and not fitting the TV. I tried different movies and TV shows. Any advice?

Go to the settings and you can see the output and picture size. I had to adjust on one TV but some movies will automatically adjust as it progresses

Is there a setting needed to run roms off a flashdrive on the dock? My gamestick will not recognize it but it can see my sd card.

Also has it been confirmed use of the dualshock 4 with roms? I saw this six axis app on the play store but have not purchased it to test it out. Can anyone shed some light on this app?

This is supposed to boot up automatically when you plug it into the wall adapter, right?  I have the stick plugged in, but it's not booting up. It seems to boot up on some occasions (and turns itself off after a while), but usually it doesn't boot up and doesn't light up.

The controller does light up, though.

Okay, so after installing Kodi I went ahead and installed Genesis as well, and the playback is all jacked up, as in the picture is positioned wrong and not fitting the TV. I tried different movies and TV shows. Any advice?
I ran into the same issue and unfortunately it seems like whatever Genesis is streaming isn't controlled by the main Kodi picture settings. I'm getting a zoomed image, it's not unwatchable but definitely off. I probably need to explore Genesis a bit more and see if it has separate add-on settings, but tweaking the display and picture settings for Kodi itself didn't seem to fix the issue.

I ran into the same issue and unfortunately it seems like whatever Genesis is streaming isn't controlled by the main Kodi picture settings. I'm getting a zoomed image, it's not unwatchable but definitely off. I probably need to explore Genesis a bit more and see if it has separate add-on settings, but tweaking the display and picture settings for Kodi itself didn't seem to fix the issue.
Sounds like you have the android settings outputting 1080p, and Kodi 14 forces 720p. The only way I fixed the issue was by changing the android display output to 720p, so I deleted Kodi and went to SPMC from the play store.

Sounds like you have the android settings outputting 1080p, and Kodi 14 forces 720p. The only way I fixed the issue was by changing the android display output to 720p, so I deleted Kodi and went to SPMC from the play store.
Ah, I think you're right ... luckily my tv is old and only 1080i, so I don't think downgrading to 720p output will be a deal breaker ;) Thanks!

When I went to bed everything was working well. I installed the dock today and Bluetooth won't turn on. Any ideas?

Im at work now but will tinker w it more later tonight.

Im running Android now and im curious can you run multiple controllers at a time? Using the Gamestick controller has been the best result for me so far in regards to lag on Snes9x so can I buy another so me and my lady can play multiplayer games and they both connect to the stick?

Im running Android now and im curious can you run multiple controllers at a time? Using the Gamestick controller has been the best result for me so far in regards to lag on Snes9x so can I buy another so me and my lady can play multiplayer games and they both connect to the stick?
It can run up to 4.

I was wondering if anyone had any luck using a wired controller other than the Xbox 360 controller?
I've been trying to get my Logitech F310 recognized, to no avail :(
Other than that, I love the Stick so far!
I haven't been able to use my off-brand wired 360 controller. It lights up, but doesn't interact with the system.

I'll be honest .. I actually had the same thought for like 5 seconds when I opened mine. I had opened the dock first, which had a fancy foil sticker. The actual gamestick box had an infamous plastic circle on it and when I didn't see the gamestick in the box, I freaked out for a moment thinking it was classic Gamestop.
My first Gamestick (6 months ago) actually had NO stick in it. I had zero issues exchanging it, incredibly.

It sounds like everyone is getting different results.

My experience so far since last night:

I installed the custom rom easy peasy. It took forever to boot up but after that it doesnt take long. Play store worked fine, I grabbed Chrome, Internet Booster (since i am on wifi), and Popcorn Time. Popcorn time would load the movie but was super choppy thats understandable. So i tried TVMC, for some reason i couldnt get it to finish installing so nothing worked there. Booted up SPMC, got the repository for Genesis (the only add-on i got so far), tried a SD movie, played no problem, tried a HD movie played flawlessly. I also have read that SPMC was built to utilize the type of processor/gpu (Amlogic) so its suppose to play media a little better than most streamers. My next step is to try limelight and stream Steam over to it. I am thinking i will need a dock though, any fellow cag care to ship one to me!? :)
But aren't the XBMC / Kodi official Android builds also built for mobile? maybe not for this specific device, but surely they are optimized for devices with less-than-PC processors/RAM?

Picked one of these up and got it running based on the great instructions in the 1st post. I do have a few issues -

1) When I run Kodi/XBMC/SBMC - if I go to System, Settings, Video Output -- the Display mode is stuck on Windowed, and 1280x720p. It's greyed out and I can't change it to 1080p. Is this a limitation of the Gamestick?

2) When I run a video program like Genesis or IceFilms, the video plays, but a big part of the bottom of the movie is chopped off. I've tried changing the calibration but no matter what I do I can't see that part of the movie.

Any ideas?
Try changin the output settings through the Android settings to 720p (to match the Kodi setting). See if that helps...

Look into USTV Now. it's free for 45 days....after that it's not too expensive. Sure, we are CAGS....but it's not like we can't pay a little :)

I didn't think it was gonna work, but i plugged in my N64 Controller into a N64-to-USB adapter and im actually using a REAL N64 controller right now on this thing! It worked the second i plugged it in! (I'm using the Mupen64 Plus Emulator App on Gamestick with CFW). Currently i'm attempting to get ePSXe to use my PS2 Controller, hooked up via PS2-to-USB adapter, but am running into some snags (it is recognized by the Emulator, but isnt responding to inputs.) Next test, will be the PS2 Steering wheel once i get the controller up and running.

Also has it been confirmed use of the dualshock 4 with roms? I saw this six axis app on the play store but have not purchased it to test it out. Can anyone shed some light on this app?
I use the sixaxis app to use 2 dual shock 3's (actually one is just sixaxis) and although its a bit to get used to setting up at first, once you've tinkered with it it's pretty great. You have to download the sixaxis app on the android device and your computer and then you hook up the controller to the computer and run the program. You will then assign the controller the blue tooth code the android app provides and that's how they are paired. Then when you want to use the controllers you turn on the sixaxis app and then the controllers. From what I understand it just cloned the signal a ps3 would send.

I can confirm it is working with snes9x for sure, and genplusdroid works but i havent tinkered around much, and im not liking that emulator so I want to find a better genesis app, havent tested the nes, gameboy or gamegear apps

Pretty pleased though, have the entire american nes, gameboy, gamegear, genesis, and snes library on an 8gb sd card which seems crazy to think about

Currently setting up a second gamestick for a friend of mine. Will probably just have him grab a Bluetooth android controller instead of setting up sixaxis for him. Its a good set up if you already have ps3 controllers but because it requires a little extra tinkering and he doesnt want that a controller designed for android seems best. Any recommendations?

I really need to come up with something to solve my controller problem; my wired 360 controller doesn't work, and the Gamestick controller has just enough lag to be deadly in action games.

bread's done
Back