GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

http://instagram.com/p/xqNULfGCbP/

Everything working great for me. This is how everyone should read comics. Logitech K400 works great. Thanks again OP and everyone else helping out. Great stuff!
I prefer the actual paper book, but yeah, that does look rad.

So, nobody else is having a problem w Bluetooth not turning on?
It just says searching but it's not on (icons greyed out).
Any idea how I can force a reset? Cold boot does nothing. USB mouse still works fine.

I was wondering if anyone had any luck using a wired controller other than the Xbox 360 controller?

I've been trying to get my Logitech F310 recognized, to no avail :(

Other than that, I love the Stick so far!
I actually unplugged mine today and have been using the gamestick controller, mine works great, played a little Madden 95 and Bottom of the 9th brings back the childhood years with my SEGA 32X

I now have 2 Glory-Sticks and they both work a dream. I cant connect my All-In-One PC to a HD TV, so this fills the blank for me times 2! High Def Emulation and Netflix quality Streaming for less then $20? a Win in my book.
I wonder if I should just wait for a deal on Ouya or something similar, but then I remember Gamestick is only 20 bucks.

Mine worked great last night.
Streamed Netflix and genesis no problem. Played ninja baseball batman on mame. Link to the past on snes9x. Apps a plenty installed.
Tried it today and no Bluetooth.
I wonder if I should just pull the trigger and buy one. Hmmmm,

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine in today but it doesn't seems to see the img on the sad card. Any ideas?

Edit: using my SDcard, from my phone, so I don't really want to format it. If I don't have to.

I actually unplugged mine today and have been using the gamestick controller, mine works great, played a little Madden 95 and Bottom of the 9th brings back the childhood years with my SEGA 32X
Also, streamed Netflix and Vudu tonight, very good. Mine shows wifi and ethernet connected, that would be cool, but its not possible is it.

Anybody know how to get two controllers working with bluetooth?

usFCDka.gif

You shouldn't have to format anything; you can just put the file on the root of the card and it ought to show up.
Not sure why, but when I go to SDcard to select the IMG file on the GameStick, nothing shows at all. It doesn't show any of the many files & folders on the card. And the Root of the drive is the very beginning right?

I dont really know what Im talking about (no idea what this deal is for) but I have the Fire TV Stick and it's pretty awesome. Twice as much as this but can do the XBMC thing. Only thing I dont like about it is no Vudu.

Well got home to tinker and the Bluetooth issue seems to have resolved itself, I'm glad but I don't like not knowing why things act up.
I speculate it was something to do with the dock adding Ethernet into the equasion while the WiFi was still active.
Once I disabled WiFi and set up Ethernet I haven't had a problem. TV add ons streams video content marvelously for such a small, cheap device. I went out and bought a second one! Love it.

I do have a question about flashing the Ethernet patch in recovery (listed in first post)

Do I just reenter recovery and initiate the patch img from the external memory card? That would make sense but I didn't want to corrupt/brick the stick.

The first one I set up didn't require a patch because (I assume) I restored to factory defaults (of the 1.4 CFW, not stock gamestick fw) so I haven't applied the patch yet. I got a second stick for my bedroom tv and am setting that one up now.

Thanks.

My gamestick flashed properly and without any issue, but for whatever reason it keeps freezing a few seconds or so into booting... mainly if I try to do anything- such as clicking on settings or going into wifi.

First I thought it had to do something with the dock, but even without it I'm having the same problem.

I read comments here and there on this thread but I don't think I've seen anyone with an issue similar to mine, I wonder if I received a defective unit.

Does the Gamestick recognize SD cards formatted in exFAT?

I just got a new sandisk ultra 16Gb card and come to find out its formatted in exFAT. Will I have to reformat in FAT32 or will it work?

I might get a different SD card if that's the case

Is there a way to stop the controller from timing out/going to sleep?

I'll start watching a show and by the time it's over the controller is off. Then I try to reconnect and it won't unless I plug a mouse in and 're-pair it in Bluetooth settings.

Seems to only sleep when I'm watching a show in tvmc. Otherwise it's excellent. I don't have cable and have been watching all the stuff I've missed that isn't on Netflix.

I wonder if I should just wait for a deal on Ouya or something similar, but then I remember Gamestick is only 20 bucks.

GameStick might only be $20, but an OUYA at $60 isn't terribly expensive either and that's about the going rate on ebay. It's easy to root with just an app download and a button press, and you don't need that to get a ton of emulators, and it's super-easy to sideload on it.

I've been following this thread, but I haven't seen this explicitly stated:

If I wanted to play the two free games that come with the Gamestick, is it ok to play them first, then set up the custom rom, or do I have to set up the custom rom first, then factory restore it to play the games (then flash back to the custom rom)?

Well, still running the Dev package on mine. 

NES Emulator works great

SNES Emulator works great

Genesis Emulator works good, not great. (needs filters to add scan lines)

I can not get the Neo Geo emulator to work at all.. it just will not play nice. Which sucks because THAT is the one I was the most looking forward to playing.

I was wondering if anyone had any luck using a wired controller other than the Xbox 360 controller?
I've been trying to get my Logitech F310 recognized, to no avail :(
Other than that, I love the Stick so far!
Wired PS3 controller worked immediately for me: just hook it up via a USB-to-mini USB cable and press the PS button.

So, thinking about this, but my question is this. Everybody hates the controller, but can you use it for emulation at all? Second question, with the Xbox 360 controller does it have to be wired or can it be the wireless one with the plug and play cable? Does the controller act as a mouse or do I also need a mouse and keyboard for other things?

For anyone wondering, you can move installed games over to external memory with an app called GL to SD (root)

So, thinking about this, but my question is this. Everybody hates the controller, but can you use it for emulation at all? Second question, with the Xbox 360 controller does it have to be wired or can it be the wireless one with the plug and play cable? Does the controller act as a mouse or do I also need a mouse and keyboard for other things?
You can use it but it's pretty crappy... Some emulators (still can't figure out why) actually run worse with it.

Decided to bite on this yesterday.  Tried to hold one at one location only to find out someone else is already holding it, so I kinda had to go out of my way to another store.  Turned out to be OK as it's a store out of the way that no one else really shops at so they had a few games I probably wouldn't get at other stores.

Anyways, did the whole reset and loaded the image onto the Gamestick no problem.  WiFi seems to work fine but my TV isn't too far from my router anyways.  Got as far as loading the Google Play Store, which works fine, and WWE SuperCard, which goes to a black screen then immediately returns to desktop.  Now that I know it generally works, I'm back on my computer looking for proper apps and emulators since I only have one USB mouse between the two devices.  

I went to play store and typed in emulators, downloaded like 6 of them because none of them worked because I was using zip and 7zip. Once extracted they started too work, but each one has been different. I will play with them more this weekend and will write what I have found is the best. They were all free ones, and one ad supported which was the best so far.
So far the only N64 that works any good is Pretendo (ad-supported). The other ones just cut out or have lots of tears. Pretendo is smooth but you have to cancel the ads only at startup not during game play. Anybody have any other luck with N64 emus

just curious...

does anyone have one of those portable tv's that you put in the back of your head rest for the kids with an hdmi port tried this out yet?

As for power...do you think one of those battery packs that you use for cell phones will work for it while on the go?

Lot of Gamestops around me are going out of stock. Kind of surprising, don't think I have many CAGs nearby. Hope I can get one or two extra before they're gone

I need help!

Can someone tell me exactly what setting i need to have in order to use the Gamestick controller in Retroarch?

I pair it, but no matter what I do, i can't get it to work..

I got the Dualshock 3 working, but whenever i hit the start button it registers as hitting "home" and goes to the homescreen. 

Help?

I just got mine flashed and all I have to say is wow. I actually think I prefer using this then my ouya. This has me really excited for the Razer Forge

Does the Gamestick recognize SD cards formatted in exFAT?

I just got a new sandisk ultra 16Gb card and come to find out its formatted in exFAT. Will I have to reformat in FAT32 or will it work?

I might get a different SD card if that's the case
You don't have to get a new sd card. Just plug your sd card into your pc.

Go to my computer

right click on your sd card

choose format

and then choose fat32 from the file system menu.

Just make sure you back up whatever is on your card first as anything on it will get deleted during the format

I can't even get this thing to display a picture via HDMI on either tv anymore :mad:

The wifi was ridiculously slow to the point of not even being able to go to any webpage when it did work

Like some people have said, the wifi runs better with th he bluetooth off,plus the wifi booster app has seemed to help. I had problem with streaming on Genesis the first night, but I didn't realize the bluetooth was on, then I installed wifi booster. I haven't had any issues after that.

We need to put our minds together and figure out how to mess with the kernel to allow overclocking. I'm hearing the GameStick can handle 1.3 easily and even push for 1.5.

I can't even get this thing to display a picture via HDMI on either tv anymore >:(

The wifi was ridiculously slow to the point of not even being able to go to any webpage when it did work
My wifi is great, considering the overall signal throughout the house is horrendously unstable (thanks to my fiance refusing to get rid of those fuck ing interference-causing cordless phones).

My wifi is great, considering the overall signal throughout the house is horrendously unstable (thanks to my fiance refusing to get rid of those fuck ing interference-causing cordless phones).
You gotta switch to the 5GHZ signal on the wifi! BTW what's a cordless phone? :)

Quick question what input should I have my tv on when I'm in the process of flashing?

EDIT: Nvm missed a step on the instruction video.

You gotta switch to the 5GHZ signal on the wifi! BTW what's a cordless phone? :)
Comcast issued modem/router and I doubt it supports 5GHz. I should just hook up an external and call it a day. I don't know why the hell we have a house phone, we only ever use our cell phones.. :/

bread's done
Back