GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

This thing has been sitting on my coffee table since last Monday.  I'm going to give flashing it a shot today.  But, first, I'm going to read through the first 29 pages of this thread again.

Maybe try a different TV I had the problem were it would boot up and crash immediately I then switch to another TV and it worked fine. Also another suggestion would be to try the wall adapter thing as the power source. Hope any of that works.
Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it on a different TV with the wall adapter and although it ran better, it froze on that too (mouse would still move but cannot do anything unlike the previous TV where everything froze). Since it isn't working on 2 out of the 3 TVs I have access to, I'll be returning this and hopefully can get a better working one.

This thing has been sitting on my coffee table since last Monday. I'm going to give flashing it a shot today. But, first, I'm going to read through the first 29 pages of this thread again.
You should check it out ASAP, flash it and see if it's running okay. I tried using mine a week after buying it and it's been giving me a constant headache... I've come to the conclusion that the one I own is somewhat defective.

I find that the Xbox 360 Wired controller got the best results, and an N64 to Usb adapter to use the N64 controller which worked perfect too. I was messing around with a PS2 to Usb last night but got bored with playing with the settings to get it to work. Still need to test the Ps2 Steering wheel as well. May pick up a PS3 wireless next week since im hearing good things about it.
I have a wired 360 controller, but the d-pad is so embarrassingly poor on those things that it makes me not want to even bother. I'll probably start with wired PS3, as I have plenty of extras, and I've always preferred SONY's d-pads.

Oh yeah, it can go up to 60fps but you won't see an increase in performance over 30fps
It shows 60 in menus and stuff and it's 100% fine, but once it drops around 40 or 50 the slowdown seems to be significant. Maybe someone else can test it to see what kind of results they're getting. I was playing Tekken 3 and Crash Bandicoot 3 and experienced similar issues on both games. I wish there were more people using the gamestick for emulation to compare and contrast settings and results, but this thread seems to be one of the only active resources or this thing out there right now

Can't get the controller to work, whether wired by USB or with Bluetooth. I've been using a keyboard to navigate so far. Gonna buy a wireless mouse later today. Managed to get an SNES game up and running, but couldn't play it due to the fact that I didn't have a working controller. Also going to try one of my PS3 controllers (wired instead of Bluetooth) and see if it works.

Tried getting the Genesis add-on for movies and TV, but I wasn't able to find it on the list of add-ons. Any help with this?

I ordered a PS2 to USB adapter just now, since my wired 360 controller still doesn't work and there's too much lag on anything wireless. Best course of action; iit's cheap and PS2 is the best controller anyway (I'mssure PS3 is just as good, considering).

I bought this thing in September, with the dock, but hadn't done much tinkering with it until I came across this post. Everything is working pretty well for the most part. The only thing I'm having trouble with is using an old gaming network adapter (Linksys WGA54G) to connect to wifi via the ethernet port on the dock. We share internet with our next door neighbor, and the router is unaccessible directly, but I thought maybe this would be a good way to circumvent the crummy built-in wif, but I'm having no luck getting it to work.

EDIT: Also, has anyone tried this thing with it yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a PS2 to USB adapter just now, since my wired 360 controller still doesn't work and there's too much lag on anything wireless. Best course of action; iit's cheap and PS2 is the best controller anyway (I'mssure PS3 is just as good, considering).
Just a heads up, the PS2 controller via USB does work, but is a pain in the ass to set up for ePSXe.

Ive got a question for Leisure Suit Zebular.... How well, does an external HD VIA usb work with this thing? (since you mentioned that you use your own) My 32 Gig Micro SD is getting tired (it may be me actually) of having to X-fer from the Gamestick to my PC every 20 mins for file Exchanges. Do you play your Roms directly off of the HD to the Leisure-Stick? If so, how does it run?

Is anyone using a bluetooth keyboard with this? If so what kind\brand? I've tried 2 different ones an HP and an Anker and although I can pair them they wont type. Bluetooth mouse works fine.

Can't get the controller to work, whether wired by USB or with Bluetooth. I've been using a keyboard to navigate so far. Gonna buy a wireless mouse later today. Managed to get an SNES game up and running, but couldn't play it due to the fact that I didn't have a working controller. Also going to try one of my PS3 controllers (wired instead of Bluetooth) and see if it works.

Tried getting the Genesis add-on for movies and TV, but I wasn't able to find it on the list of add-ons. Any help with this?
Youtube TVADDONS Kodi

you can actually get the entire thing setup automatically and it adds all the good addons and stuff:

http://www.tvaddons.ag/fusion-installer-kodi/

Follow that and then follow the instructions for running the config tool. It will auto-setup

you can actually get the entire thing setup automatically and it adds all the good addons and stuff:

Follow that and then follow the instructions for running the config tool. It will auto-setup

Ive got a question for Leisure Suit Zebular.... How well, does an external HD VIA usb work with this thing? (since you mentioned that you use your own) My 32 Gig Micro SD is getting tired (it may be me actually) of having to X-fer from the Gamestick to my PC every 20 mins for file Exchanges. Do you play your Roms directly off of the HD to the Leisure-Stick? If so, how does it run?
I only have a few isos on my 64gb card. I don't actually have an ext hdd hooked up (which you would want a powered hdd so as that it's constantly accessible, self powered ones shut down when not in use) I just basically throw what I want into my dropbox account and play that way. Delete what I want when not using it.

Exactly, just make sure nobody uses that TVMC apk file from the site. While it's easier to install and ready to go, it's based on a Gotham build of XBMC which didn't have hardware acceleration yet, meaning, your audio/video sync will be way off (this is why we supplied the rom with SPMC and not XBMC in the first place).

I only have a few isos on my 64gb card. I don't actually have an ext hdd hooked up (which you would want a powered hdd so as that it's constantly accessible, self powered ones shut down when not in use) I just basically throw what I want into my dropbox account and play that way. Delete what I want when not using it.

I loaded all my roms onto my portable 1tb harddrive (its usb powered, not external powered) and plugged it into the dock and have been able to load the games off the hdd without an issue.

The only issue I have is trying to actually play the loaded games on retroarch..ive used two different wired ps3 controllers (one third party, one official) and they both register ok in retroarch. However, they dont recognize any of the button presses ive put in..ive tried switching around the layouts and none of them are working. Even downloaded sixaxis and got it set up as a bluetooth connection to ps3 controller; no dice

I loaded all my roms onto my portable 1tb harddrive (its usb powered, not external powered) and plugged it into the dock and have been able to load the games off the hdd without an issue.

The only issue I have is trying to actually play the loaded games on retroarch..ive used two different wired ps3 controllers (one third party, one official) and they both register ok in retroarch. However, they dont recognize any of the button presses ive put in..ive tried switching around the layouts and none of them are working. Even downloaded sixaxis and got it set up as a bluetooth connection to ps3 controller; no dice
Hold the button in retroarch. you're having the same issue as me. Takes a second to register.

As far as TVMC is concerned? I haven't had any sync issues with it updated. Beats Xbmc and some, which both crash when I try to exit.

Exactly, just make sure nobody uses that TVMC apk file from the site. While it's easier to install and ready to go, it's based on a Gotham build of XBMC which didn't have hardware acceleration yet, meaning, your audio/video sync will be way off (this is why we supplied the rom with SPMC and not XBMC in the first place).
Is there another way to install SPMC? Or add hardware acceleration to TVMC? Because SPMC wouldn't work for me, but TVMC runs fine.
I find it does go out of sync slightly (corrected by offsetting the audio in the settings).
Thanks.

Went to the GameStop that showed it in stock, and the guy working there didn't know what I was talking about and didn't look in the back for me. Every time I forget why I don't like going to gamestop, something like this happens.

I just put an online hold for the item, but I'll be surprised if people working there even know what that means.

Has any one figure out away to use it without a mouse or the controller it comes with? Is it possible to plug in a 360 controller and use to select apps?

I have a question and i don't kniw if someone asked before. I was using the gamestick to watch live tv. Then i used my ipad to check a new app to watch movies and tv shows on it. While i watch the video i saw an icon on the lower right corner and when i touched it, it started to stream the video from the ipad to the gamestick and i saw the video on the tv. But after some minutes that icon dissapeared and i cant find the way to turn in on again. While it was working i used my ipad and samsung galaxy to stream videos and it worked but like i said, that icon dissapeared. Can someone please show me how to turn on and off that option? I have to say that my ipad and galaxy had the bluetooth off and were never paired with the gamestick before. I hope that someone can help me.

Where do I get the emulators if the play store isn't loading?
Google them, then Use an sd card then download the apk using your pc. Then connect the sd to the gamestick and use the app installer to install them. You may do the same for the roms

Yeah, I can't get Google Play to load either. It worked fine at first. If it's a free app you want, there are websitesthat allow you to ddownload APK files directly from Google Play.

Just a heads up, the PS2 controller via USB does work, but is a pain in the ass to set up for ePSXe.
I see. I'm probably not gonna use it for much PS1 gaming anyway, if any.

About the external hard drive thing, I've got mine working fine. In the beginning I thought it wasn't workingbbecause the system shut down when I plugged it in, but that was a coincidence - the power cord happened to get unplugged at the same time that I plugged the HDD in.

Got everything loaded up quick and easy. Some reason, Genesis is really slow when loading a stream. I have the booster for WiFi and BT turned off as well.

My dumb qustion is, how do I turn it off? I changed my input and it stayed on. I physically unplugged it and the light went off. I have mine hooked up through the power adapter but might get brave and hook it up to the xbox one and see how the lag is between the two.

Even as a pure android stick, this thing is damned near useless. I bought this to play Emulated games and they're laggy as hell (bluetooth or wired).

I've been screwing with this piece of crap for two day, and I'm done. I just want to return it to stock and get my money back from Gamestop.

Where can I find a stock rom?

Thanks.

Config tool for android? Not any other device correct?
Correct. For Android

Got everything loaded up quick and easy. Some reason, Genesis is really slow when loading a stream. I have the booster for WiFi and BT turned off as well.

My dumb qustion is, how do I turn it off? I changed my input and it stayed on. I physically unplugged it and the light went off. I have mine hooked up through the power adapter but might get brave and hook it up to the xbox one and see how the lag is between the two.
There is no on/off switch persay. The dock has a power button but that just literally cuts the power off to the entire system (same as taking the power cord from the gamestick/disconnecting from the powered hdmi port)

Even as a pure android stick, this thing is damned near useless. I bought this to play Emulated games and they're laggy as hell (bluetooth or wired).

I've been screwing with this piece of crap for two day, and I'm done. I just want to return it to stock and get my money back from Gamestop.

Where can I find a stock rom?

Thanks.
Most emus need to be properly configured for each game (sometimes different ROMs on the same system require different settings) I've played NES (metal storm) SNES (a link to the past) Sega CD (Snatcher) tg16/pc engine (air zonk) mame (Robocop, simpsons arcade)
All played well. All required key configuration/button mapping at the start of each emu.
It's possible yours is broken, but it does work well for what it is.

Config tool for android? Not any other device correct?
Correct. For Android

There is no on/off switch persay. The dock has a power button but that just literally cuts the power off to the entire system (same as taking the power cord from the gamestick/disconnecting from the powered hdmi port)

I'm using Kodi with USTVnow and watching live tv in HD. I'd hardly call that useless. Not to mention the Pandora and Google Play Music I was listening to the other day.

I'd definitely say if your device is giving you that much trouble, there is something wrong with it, or the setup.

Sorry if it's been asked but is there a max limit to the size of SD card this thing takes? Still need to grab one for this.

Also any places to grab a cheap one? Or just go with Amazon.

Is there another way to install SPMC? Or add hardware acceleration to TVMC? Because SPMC wouldn't work for me, but TVMC runs fine.
I find it does go out of sync slightly (corrected by offsetting the audio in the settings).
Thanks.
SPMC is in the google play store

Sorry if it's been asked but is there a max limit to the size of SD card this thing takes? Still need to grab one for this.

Also any places to grab a cheap one? Or just go with Amazon.
I know 64gb works... not sure if 128gb is as I'm not paying what they cost lol. If you're that concerned you can always grab a cheap external usb drive.

What's the best controller to use for this thing? I've got a generic USB controller, PS3, Wii with classic. I'm also having a hard time figuring out how to map the keys. When I open the emulators, they go straight to the ROMs. Can't find the settings to change them except for the 64 and there's not enough buttons on the gamestick controller to cover it.

bread's done
Back