GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

I have a Logitech F310, wired USB, I had the same result as you. Wired dual shock 3 or wired xbox 360 controller seems to work well for everyone so far.
Duh, forgot I owned a Wired 360 controller. Might as well use that. I will go ahead and install software/other goodies tomorrow once my SD card comes in.

Just wanted to make sure the stick worked as in turned on tonight.

I would be highly shocked if these get restocked online again.  I'm thinking at the $20 price point they were just trying to get rid of inventory, hell, if they think game cases take up too much space you can only imagine what they were thinking when it came to these boxes.

The "oid" emulators seem to run the best, but is there any way to improve the picture quality of them?

The other emulators run less smoothly, but they output a beautifully vivid and sharp image. But the "oid" look a bit dimmer and muddy, like the app itself is running at a low resolution and everything has been stretched out to a higher resolution.

In regards to Retroarch, is there a way to set up different controller configurations for each emulator core it runs?

I'm using a wireless 360 controller with the usb receiver. It maps out perfectly for SNES games, but when I use that configuration to play NES games I don't like where the A and B buttons are mapped.

Anyone else getting an overheating problem? Just bought this got the cfw installed and runs good up until it starts heating up after a few mins then it freezes, I heard the dock was the way to go?

Anyone else getting an overheating problem? Just bought this got the cfw installed and runs good up until it starts heating up after a few mins then it freezes, I heard the dock was the way to go?
I got the dock a few days ago and it gets pretty loud when the fan comes on. I assume this would help with the overheating issue though.

Okay so I finally have everything set perfectly. I have the Gamestick working exactly as I wanted. I flashed the CFW from the op which is the 1.4 version. I'm running the stick in the dock. I'm using thisI mini keyboard/mouse combo. I have installed the iod emulators. Those are NESiod, SNESiod, GENsiod, etc... I didn't see these emulators in the Play Store so you will have to search for them and copy the .apk files to your game stick and install that way. With those emulators I can play Atarai 2600, NES, SNES, N64, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and Genesis/Mega Drive all buttery smooth using a wired Dual Shock 3.
Any chance you could provide links to the places where you go these .apk's? I'd like to give them a go.

Did you make sure to wipe cache and system partitions before flashing CFW? If your still having issues I'd reflash before you get vested. Wipe cache and system 3 times then flash CFW.

I kept getting this after I changed the default 720p 60hz resolution to 1080p 60hz... would freeze or reboot... however since I've switched back to the default 720p 60hz it has been running just fine. I'm in the dock. Charging a controller on top of the dock may also contribute to the heat...

Note: to the people with non-working keyboards, make sure it's plugged in before you boot. Arrow keys move up down menu and enter is select. I have a wireless mini logitech keyboard/touchpad combo that has been working perfectly.

Also to people trying to pair controllers... after it shows up in the Bluetooth device list you need to click on the "Game Controller" to pair it before it works. Seems obvious, but people may assume that it's paired automatically when it shows up in the list.

Ethernet: Make sure you Flash the CFW first, then the Patch, unplug the Gamestick and install it into the Dock before rebooting... you can only select your Ethernet port on first boot. Good luck.

Yeah, I haven't tried it on the GameStick yet. Going through my external hdd for my Ouya now. I'm not supplying links but here is what you need to know:
http://www.explusalpha.com/home/neo-emu
I think the dev mode just doesnt like the way the neogeo roms work. So, I may have to bite the bullet and by a MicroSD card and flash it.

Right now, I am running the dev mode with NES, Genesis and SNES emulators and roms.

I keep the roms on a USB stick through the dock.

Any chance you could provide links to the places where you go these .apk's? I'd like to give them a go.
Don't mean to sound like a dick, but all of these things can be found with a simple google search.

Found a couple of awesome add ons while messing around with Kodi on my HTPC last night. For any fellow sports fans, look up the NHL On-demand and NBA On-demand add ons. No live stuff, but HD replays of any game of the season. Better quality than Sports Devil, and it cuts out all of the commercials and other BS. I don't have my gamestick hooked up right now so I can't say for certain if it works, but if you're a sports fan you should definitely give it a try and report back.

So I hit a weird issue last night on boot.  It basically lost the partition where all my apps were installed.  Never seen that before.  I ended up reflashing and it came back, but I have no idea what was going on there.

Also, when I powered it down last night, it zombied on me, starting itself back up multiple times with no USB power.  I wonder if it was catching extra juice coming of the then-powered-up 360 through the HDMI switch box or something.  Either way, just a wee bit strange.

Still haven't been able to snag a dock.  If I get to the next town over sometime, I'll try, but that might be a while, and I don't want to burn up gas just for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Needed an SD adapter for my MicroSD, found one of BB with a 16gb Micro card for $8. After I can plug it straight into my PC, I will be all set. Seems everyone has been favoring the wired 360 controller, can you you the wired XB1 Controller? I know it works on PC.

Also anyone that messed around with the N64 Emulator, does it work pretty well? Is it worth picking up a USB N64 controller to use with it?

Don't mean to sound like a dick, but all of these things can be found with a simple google search.
Any sentence that starts with "I don't mean to..." implies that, yes, you do in fact mean to. ;)

Anyway, I searched for some of these before, and, if I recall, there wasn't one central, reliable host for the lot of them to actually be downloaded. By the sound of it, I guess that's what I'm stuck with...

I've really been enjoying playing around with these (along with a dock). So much so it got me working on my old OUYA. I know this is off-topic, but does anyone have a good link for how to install CWM on an up-to-date OUYA? I rooted it and was able to install the Play Store, but it's not working correctly and I keep getting errors from the Play Store. Would like to just put CWM on it if that's possible...
I don't know that it's possible to install custom firmware on the Ouya, but there are some tweaks and fixes to get Google Play store to work well, and between that, Amazon app store and simply sideloading downloaded APKs I can make the Ouya do whatever I want. Check out this vid, the description tells you what exactly you need with links, follow the directions exactly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F1QCSltDZ8

I'm not sure if it's possible to actually buy from Google Play on the Ouya, but buying on my phone, cancelling the download, then pulling it up on "My Apps" on the Ouya works perfectly.

Thank you!... Now, i have an app that lets me put a web address and it can stream live channels from there. Is there an add on for spmc that does the same?. Sorry if this was answered but i looked and i did not fin anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--NAkPVokyw

does this help? if not I am sorry.

Found a couple of awesome add ons while messing around with Kodi on my HTPC last night. For any fellow sports fans, look up the NHL On-demand and NBA On-demand add ons. No live stuff, but HD replays of any game of the season. Better quality than Sports Devil, and it cuts out all of the commercials and other BS. I don't have my gamestick hooked up right now so I can't say for certain if it works, but if you're a sports fan you should definitely give it a try and report back.
Found the NBA and the Genesis add ons b7t looking for a live sports app. Anyone got any suggestions?

I don't know that it's possible to install custom firmware on the Ouya, but there are some tweaks and fixes to get Google Play store to work well, and between that, Amazon app store and simply sideloading downloaded APKs I can make the Ouya do whatever I want. Check out this vid, the description tells you what exactly you need with links, follow the directions exactly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F1QCSltDZ8

I'm not sure if it's possible to actually buy from Google Play on the Ouya, but buying on my phone, cancelling the download, then pulling it up on "My Apps" on the Ouya works perfectly.
Yes, yes there is...
http://youtu.be/KxR9e3dQyjo

Excellent. Will check to video out. Appreciate the response.

What happens if I factory reset this thing? I'm thinking about selling mine because I want something more powerful but I don't want to screw it up.

It keeps the CFW Rom on it but wipes the data.

I already did this when I was having issues w being able to download from play store.

You'll need a gamestick Rom to restore it to normal.

No idea where to find one.

How do people do multiple controllers on Android???

I've tried emulators on both this and the Amazon Fire Stick.  Using the Gamestick controller and a Gamestop Android controller, and their keys are mapped to different presses (A, B vs Button 1, Button 2) but their DPADs are both synced to "DPAD" so pressing it on one acts as if pressed on another.  Essentially I can't get it working because their left sticks / dpads are linked to the same commands.  So pressing on one stick presses it for both players.

bread's done
Back