GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

Is anyone interested in the gs controller. I will probably never use and I was thinking $10 shipped priority to wherever you live in the us.
Shoot me a pm if anyone is interestsed.

Wired or wireless?
Wireless, actually.

And that's on a 3 to 4 Mbps connection.

What's nice is even though you can't download it through the Play store, updating Kodi is easy, just install it over your current installation.

All my addons and stuff were preserved.

Also, regarding my comment about using a USB to ethernet adapter on the GameStick, I'm pretty confident the ethernet port in the GameStick dock is only 100 Mbps, because it's using USB 2.0, right?

I recently bought a USB to gigabit ethernet adapter for my friend, and it used USB 3.0.

Since the GameStick uses USB 2.0, not 3.0, you can save yourself a lot of $ and get an inexpensive adapter if you want ethernet :)

While using genesis, I keep getting a cache full message everytime a video starts and they take forever to buffer.

Any idea to help clear cache in any way?

Last edited by a moderator:
While using genesis, I keep getting a cache full message everytime a video starts and they take forever to buffer.
Any idea to help clear cache in any way?
Update To .1 version. If it's still happening you will have to choose a lower size stream like an sd stream.
There is a zero cache function but I would not recommend it on the gs since it would kill the ssd in time.

Update To .1 version. If it's still happening you will have to choose a lower size stream like an sd stream.
There is a zero cache function but I would not recommend it on the gs since it would kill the ssd in time.
Thanks! Is there a guide or how do you go about updating it.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks! Is there a guide or how do you go about updating it.

Thanks in advance.
If you have SPMC installed, you can download Kodi and it'll install as a separate app (no shared data between the programs or anything).

If you have Kodi 14.0 installed, just download the 14.1 .apk from the Kodi site and it'll update to 14.1 while preserving your settings and addons and whatnot.

I was able to find a dock a few days ago. Is there an app or anything that lets me use the PS Gold headset wirelessly with this, or am I only able to use it wired.

Kodi 14.1 is working fine for me, unless I try to go to the homes rein from the app. It crashes to black and never recovers. Make sure you Exit the app first.

EDIT: I need to mod the dock's fan, because that thing is getting out of control.

Good to see this thread going strong. After I successfully set up two of these game sticks I got ambitious and decided to removed the very poorly functioning CyanogenMod 7 from my hp touchpad that I had paid a stranger $20 to install and installed CyanogenMod 11 which runs spectacularly. Couldn't get stable WiFi before and now I'm typing this post on it

In case anyone is wondering, I tried Kodi 14.1 yesterday and the screen cutoff issue seems to be fixed.

That's with Android set to 1080p and Kodi set to the default 720p.

I also tried a HD stream (same stream I used when testing SPMC and Kodi 14.0) and it started playing immediately.

Still gonna do some testing, but things are looking good for Kodi 14.1 :)
I installed Kodi 14.1 over top of 14.0....

The Kodi App shrinks the entire image if android is set to anything other than 480. 720 is shrunk, 1080 is even smaller. Then when I exit back to the Android home screen, it's still shrunk! Any thoughts?

(I went back to 14.0 and it's fine again)

You know... I haven't tried it yet but you can probably use the Playstation app to stream your ps4 games to another TV with the GameStick like you would with a Vita TV. If someone feels like trying it...

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/10/8014053/play-ps4-games-android-remote-port-destiny
I had tried it with this hacked version and it wouldn't run, I'll try this one to see if it's updated or not.

EDIT: Nope. "There was a problem parsing the package."

EDIT 2: Yep. Download from the mediafire link in the first post and not the apk link on Xda and it works.

I installed Kodi 14.1 over top of 14.0....

The Kodi App shrinks the entire image if android is set to anything other than 480. 720 is shrunk, 1080 is even smaller. Then when I exit back to the Android home screen, it's still shrunk! Any thoughts?

(I went back to 14.0 and it's fine again)
I haven't had much time to test out 14.1, but I'll post back here when I do.

If I can't get 14.1 working I'll probably continue using SPMC; I like having Android set to 1080p.

You know... I haven't tried it yet but you can probably use the Playstation app to stream your ps4 games to another TV with the GameStick like you would with a Vita TV. If someone feels like trying it...

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/10/8014053/play-ps4-games-android-remote-port-destiny
I had tried it with this hacked version and it wouldn't run, I'll try this one to see if it's updated or not.

EDIT: Nope. "There was a problem parsing the package."

EDIT 2: Yep. Download from the mediafire link in the first post and not the apk link on Xda and it works.
Wow, if we could only get PS Vita emulation this thing would be better than a PSTV, and at 1/3 the price! :)

Video isn't working for me but it may be Isolated to me. It connects and I hear the audio and the selections changing when I hit the on screen buttons, but the screen is black : /

I'm away from my unit right now, but I can do a quick write-up using pics from the FCC filing. Note, I am not responsible for any damage to your devices.

Step 1: Remove the rubber feet and 4 phillips screws
attachicon.gif
1.JPG

My dock (board) looks to be a slightly newer revision, but for our purpose, the tutorial is all the same.

Step 2: Remove 2 phillips screw circled in blue. Blue arrow shows the location of the thermalcouple. V+ and V- shows where the fan is going to be wired to.
attachicon.gif
2a.JPG

Step 3: Disconnect the fan from the board. Location shown in green.
attachicon.gif
3a.JPG

close up of fan connector: (Note the V+ and V- from the other side of the board. We will be making the new fan connection to these 2 points)
attachicon.gif
3b.JPG

Step 4: Cut the red and black wire of the fan an inch or so away from the white plug. Strip the two ends and route the wires under the power button to the other side like so. Solder the red wire to V+ and the black wire to V-.
attachicon.gif
4a.JPG

Step 5: Put screws back and sit back and enjoy your videos/games without the loud fan noise.
I think I might do your mod, how has it been working so far after the mod? Thanks! :)

So I was able to flash my first GameStick fine, about a month ago.

This one froze during the process (on the "GameStick" logo screen after rebooting), so I unplugged the micro USB cord to restart it.

It has frozen twice since then on the home screen, once almost immediately and once after a few minutes (and connecting to my Wi-Fi).

Should I try re-flashing it? Is it possible I have a busted GameStick?

EDIT: It has frozen twice more. :( I'm starting to think there's something wrong with my unit.

EDIT 2: It stopped powering up for a few minutes. Tried both plugging in the micro USB cord normally and while holding down the reset button for recovery mode. Pretty sure I have a defective unit. :/ Glad it was only 20 bucks.

So I was able to flash my first GameStick fine, about a month ago.

This one froze during the process (on the "GameStick" logo screen after rebooting), so I unplugged the micro USB cord to restart it.

It has frozen twice since then on the home screen, once almost immediately and once after a few minutes (and connecting to my Wi-Fi).

Should I try re-flashing it? Is it possible I have a busted GameStick?

EDIT: It has frozen twice more. :( I'm starting to think there's something wrong with my unit.

EDIT 2: It stopped powering up for a few minutes. Tried both plugging in the micro USB cord normally and while holding down the reset button for recovery mode. Pretty sure I have a defective unit. :/ Glad it was only 20 bucks.
Sounds like a heat issue, can always do a hack job on it like I did if there aren't any more around.

I think I might do your mod, how has it been working so far after the mod? Thanks! :)
It's been working great. I don't leave the unit on all the time, but I do use it 3-4 hours a day and it hasn't overheated once yet. From about 7ft away and the tv on, I can't even hear the fan anymore. I'm really happy with it.

In case anyone is wondering - this thing(with dock) worked great during my hotel stay. connect to wifi(did not offer wired) and open the browser to accept the T&Cs. I was getting around 5-6Mbps and streaming was perfect. Still on SPMC.

Still looking for that perfect wireless contoller for EMUs - anyone have any luck? or is wired my best choice?

It's been working great. I don't leave the unit on all the time, but I do use it 3-4 hours a day and it hasn't overheated once yet. From about 7ft away and the tv on, I can't even hear the fan anymore. I'm really happy with it.
Thanks!

In case anyone is wondering - this thing(with dock) worked great during my hotel stay. connect to wifi(did not offer wired) and open the browser to accept the T&Cs. I was getting around 5-6Mbps and streaming was perfect. Still on SPMC.

Still looking for that perfect wireless contoller for EMUs - anyone have any luck? or is wired my best choice?
Official DS3 IMHO

So has anyone agreed on the best way to clear cache? I've almost given up on HD videos.
You're just going to have to get a better wireless connection, that or go wired. You should look into getting a wifi repeater to plug in next to it. Makes it 100x better.

You're just going to have to get a better wireless connection, that or go wired. You should look into getting a wifi repeater to plug in next to it. Makes it 100x better.
Ok I will thanks. I actually have a pretty damn good speeds for wireless. I have the dock but for some reason it's only a one in five chance it recognises my usb device.

Edit: lol love the pic above.

I see the fan! :)

How are you overclocking it?
I'm not yet, Shanti said he thinks he was close. His idea is to bug AmLogic for the source or actually find someone who makes custom kernels. I've been trying as well, can't get anyone to bite, I've tried reaching out to the guy that did the one for the Ouya but he's been MIA for almost a year.

Can someone post the name of that android controller that was on sale at gamestop for $8? I think zebular posted it here.

I'm upset none of my gamestops have one. If anyone is trying to unload one I'd love to buy it for a reasonable price. I feel like this is perfect to bring to parties and stuff.

Picked one of these up at GameStop. I'm pretty sure I got the last one they had in stock. The cashier was surprised they even had one. I look forward to tinkering with it.

Picked one of these up at GameStop. I'm pretty sure I got the last one they had in stock. The cashier was surprised they even had one. I look forward to tinkering with it.
In my area, the stores had 1 stick per store. I think they just spread them out to see if someone would take it off their hands.

This is going to be a pretty random post in this thread but having bought a gamestick I'm thinking you guys like cheap devices like this. I like the gamestick but I'm a sucker for any cheap fun device. Anyway here goes:

If you have a Micro Center near you or are willing to pay shipping check out this $60 Windows 8.1 tablet (yes full windows). It comes with a year sub for Office 365 on a card as a code. I sold mine on ebay for $30 (it can go for more but I opted for the quick sale). After all was said and done the tablet cost me $38.

Now for the fun stuff. The tablet is only 16gb but micro center has a program that let's you clear up an additional 2GB of storage on the tiny drive (windows is big). The real draw to this thing though is the ports. It features a mini HDMI, micro usb for charging or other stuff, A FULL USB Port, and a micro SD slot.

With the full usb port and the charging port your options for connectivity are vast. It has bluetooth as well. I hooked up a wireless 360 controller which is plug and play in windows 8.1. I installed a 64GB micro SD card and then turned it into a virtual hard drive to install more programs on. I used this guide. I got STEAM installed as well as Half LIfe 2 up and running on the card. It runs at 1024 and even better at 800x600. Granted it's a valve game, it's old, and well optimized but I was shocked to have it running on this tiny thing. I'm guessing lesser games would run fine on it. 

I ran mame, nes, and snes emulators but I'm guessing it would handle ps1, psp, and dreamcast although I've yet to get that far with testing it out. 

I installed Kodi which also works nicely and the tablet can drive a 1080p monitor. You can get an adapter for mini HDMI but I opted for a $7 cable on Amazon that's a mini hdmi to hdmi cable. 

It's a little more than the gamestick but you are getting a tablet screen in the process. I'm thinking of using this to catch up on some older games I never got around to playing and will probably use it as my vacation Kodi htpc. 

I don't work for Microcenter, I just like cheap fun gadgets. 

Winbook Tablet Link

WinOptimize Link (To Clear Up the 2GB) - Link at the bottom of the page. 

This is going to be a pretty random post in this thread but having bought a gamestick I'm thinking you guys like cheap devices like this. I like the gamestick but I'm a sucker for any cheap fun device. Anyway here goes:

If you have a Micro Center near you or are willing to pay shipping check out this $60 Windows 8.1 tablet (yes full windows). It comes with a year sub for Office 365 on a card as a code. I sold mine on ebay for $30 (it can go for more but I opted for the quick sale). After all was said and done the tablet cost me $38.

Now for the fun stuff. The tablet is only 16gb but micro center has a program that let's you clear up an additional 2GB of storage on the tiny drive (windows is big). The real draw to this thing though is the ports. It features a mini HDMI, micro usb for charging or other stuff, A FULL USB Port, and a micro SD slot.

With the full usb port and the charging port your options for connectivity are vast. It has bluetooth as well. I hooked up a wireless 360 controller which is plug and play in windows 8.1. I installed a 64GB micro SD card and then turned it into a virtual hard drive to install more programs on. I used this guide. I got STEAM installed as well as Half LIfe 2 up and running on the card. It runs at 1024 and even better at 800x600. Granted it's a valve game, it's old, and well optimized but I was shocked to have it running on this tiny thing. I'm guessing lesser games would run fine on it.

I ran mame, nes, and snes emulators but I'm guessing it would handle ps1, psp, and dreamcast although I've yet to get that far with testing it out.

I installed Kodi which also works nicely and the tablet can drive a 1080p monitor. You can get an adapter for mini HDMI but I opted for a $7 cable on Amazon that's a mini hdmi to hdmi cable.

It's a little more than the gamestick but you are getting a tablet screen in the process. I'm thinking of using this to catch up on some older games I never got around to playing and will probably use it as my vacation Kodi htpc.

Winbook Tablet Link
Ugh...this makes me want to buy one, saw the post at SD for this like a week ago...I don't need more electronics!!!

I was able to pick one of these up a few weeks ago, and intended on tinkering with it, but I have come to the realization that I simply don't have time. I may be selling mine (cost +ship/handling).

I really want to mod it and play some old school NES...then by the time I get home from work and take care of my 9month old and relax, I just never get to it.  PM Me.

Ugh...this makes me want to buy one, saw the post at SD for this like a week ago...I don't need more electronics!!!
Yeah I pretty much felt the same way, but honestly the push for me was selling the office sub making it even cheaper. That and it's pretty small, doesn't take up a lot of room. :)

Winbook Tablet Link
Thanks for the heads up on this... I might actually grab one to see what it's capable of. 1.33ghz quad core is decent, the fact that it's x86 based is even nicer since there's a bigger selection of stuff coded for it. I'm willing to bet it can overclock nicely as well since the majority of people would be using it as an actual tablet. I did something similar with the hdmi out on my galaxy S4 but sadly the 5v usb power being put back into the phone wasn't enough to charge it while also playing video. So how is the video out setup on this? Is it using the same port for charging? If so This may have the same problem I had with using my S4.

Yeah, the Z3735 processors overclock natively to something like 1.8Ghz via Turbo Boost, and I'm guessing if it's like my Teclast the mini/microHDMI is a separate port from the microUSB/charging.

I've had a slightly higher-end tablet (Z3736F/2GB/32GB and a 9.7" 2048x1536 screen) running Windows 10 at native resolution without issue (aside from Windows 8.1/Windows 10's terrible DPI scaling settings). It clocks up to 2.16Ghz but given the lower resolution and whatnot I'd say it's a pretty even trade on the Winbook. Paired up with a bluetooth keyboard/case it actually works as a decent laptop replacement, should be able to handle most emulators (probably not Dolphin or PCSX2 outside of a handful of games) and 1080p video pretty well.

Only downside is that the only run 32-bit Windows (although with 1GB or 2GB of RAM, 64-bit would be a waste) and on most models it's hard or near-impossible to install Linux of any sort.

Yeah, the Z3735 processors overclock natively to something like 1.8Ghz via Turbo Boost, and I'm guessing if it's like my Teclast the mini/microHDMI is a separate port from the microUSB/charging.

I've had a slightly higher-end tablet (Z3736F/2GB/32GB and a 9.7" 2048x1536 screen) running Windows 10 at native resolution without issue (aside from Windows 8.1/Windows 10's terrible DPI scaling settings). It clocks up to 2.16Ghz but given the lower resolution and whatnot I'd say it's a pretty even trade on the Winbook. Paired up with a bluetooth keyboard/case it actually works as a decent laptop replacement, should be able to handle most emulators (probably not Dolphin or PCSX2 outside of a handful of games) and 1080p video pretty well.

Only downside is that the only run 32-bit Windows (although with 1GB or 2GB of RAM, 64-bit would be a waste) and on most models it's hard or near-impossible to install Linux of any sort.
True, I have a microcenter near. I'll pick one up tomorrow and play around with it. Will definitely sell off the MS Office key to make it cheaper.

bread's done
Back