GameStop: $100 trade in credit on 3DS to upgrade to 3DS XL!

cigaro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Preliminary word from gamestop has just come in this morning to the systems, letting them know about this promotion.

CREDIT GOES TO StormKing3 on the IGN boards. Here is a quote from him:

"I wish I could tell you more, but that is all that is known on my end at this time. If you want to call your local GS, tell them to check their "go store" or "go system" if they are not yet aware of it. I asked this clerk to check even though she insisted there was nothing. Appatently it was added this morning without prior notice. This is breaking news ATM. Even for the employees."

It seems that many of the stores are nto aware of this yet, and it will be a couple days until it is officially advertised.

I have called my local stores and ask them to check, and they have confirmed they have received the info.

This is great news for those looking for upgrades! Call your stores and see what you can find out people :D

Last edited by a moderator:
wait what, the fuck why didn't anyone say you could get a free copy of steel diver or pilot wings with a purchase of a 3DS :/

someone on neo gaf got one , unless its YMMV. now i'm bummed, wanted to play pilotwings again on the big screen.

ah see it on the site and it only has the regular 3DS, they will probably add the XL later this week. *gets receipt ready*

got my $100 credit easy though, took 5 minutes, didn't transfer since i beat all 3 games i had on my old 3DS so it was alright.

the XL is a beast :D

God i love this thing so far, i dont know how i ever managed with that tiny screen on the original.

I'm just worried i dont have any screen protectors yet

Well now I'm confused. I'm not seeing this deal advertised anywhere on Gamestop's website, so I called to inquire about it. They told me that I could only get $75 for my 3DS, not $100. Am I missing something?

[quote name='Pck21']Well now I'm confused. I'm not seeing this deal advertised anywhere on Gamestop's website, so I called to inquire about it. They told me that I could only get $75 for my 3DS, not $100. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

They are missing something. When you trade in the 3ds the offer will show $100 credit.

Edit: Also, getting my store to let me do the transfer was like pulling teeth until I explained step by step what I was going to do. I had to tell him I'd pay full price, then do the transfer at home, come back and return/rebuy and he finally let me do it.

[quote name='theking20']wait what, the fuck why didn't anyone say you could get a free copy of steel diver or pilot wings with a purchase of a 3DS :/

someone on neo gaf got one , unless its YMMV. now i'm bummed, wanted to play pilotwings again on the big screen.

ah see it on the site and it only has the regular 3DS, they will probably add the XL later this week. *gets receipt ready*

got my $100 credit easy though, took 5 minutes, didn't transfer since i beat all 3 games i had on my old 3DS so it was alright.

the XL is a beast :D[/QUOTE]

The free game shows as "with purchase of 3ds" not with the XL. If we are supposed to get the free game with the XL then I am going back tomorrow after work to get one.

[quote name='Xtrminatr']They are missing something. When you trade in the 3ds the offer will show $100 credit.

Edit: Also, getting my store to let me do the transfer was like pulling teeth until I explained step by step what I was going to do. I had to tell him I'd pay full price, then do the transfer at home, come back and return/rebuy and he finally let me do it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification. I'll stop by my store and see what happens. Thanks!

[quote name='Mendelson9']How many times can you transfer a DS or 3DS game using system transfer. I want to say I remembered reading that you could only transfer games so many times and I already transferred games from DSi to 3DS. [/QUOTE]

Found out that the number of transfers is 5. http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/support/nintendo_3ds_32020_46996.html

How many times can I transfer data between Nintendo 3DS systems?

The number of transfers is limited to a total of five for each Nintendo eShop account.

The number of transfers left will be displayed on both systems when carrying out the transfer and when selecting which systems to transfer with. The number of transfers you have left will be reset to 5 if you delete your Account Activity in Nintendo eShop.

[quote name='Pck21']Thanks for the clarification. I'll stop by my store and see what happens. Thanks![/QUOTE]

There will be a promotion applied by the register to bump the trade to $100. It will have base at $X then a promo for $Y to get it to $100.

[quote name='MSUHitman']There will be a promotion applied by the register to bump the trade to $100. It will have base at $X then a promo for $Y to get it to $100.[/QUOTE]

what's the trade in of a dsi ?

not xl mind you , but the old school dsi

Worked for me, took it home and did the transfer, brought back the receipt and my old 3DS and got $100 refunded, oh and they gave me $50 credit for my old DSI. Loving it, hands don't cramp up after 20mins anymore. Thanks for posting! Xx

Hah, to anyone who really wants a screen protector today on their XL. Just buy the official Sony Vita ones.

If you cut a tiny sliver off of either of the ends, it fits damn near perfectly. (Covers the screen fully, and doesnt obstruct the 3D). Plus they are pretty amazing quality

Just got back from trading in for a red XL. The wifi in the store was horrible, so I had to buy the unit at full price, walk over to the local B&N (GS was in a mall), do the transfer, then go back for a return/rebuy. I recommend going home to do the transfer if you have a lot of stuff. I had 1.2 gigs, including the 20 ambassador games, and the transfer took 30 mins. Luckily the XL had enough battery and B&N's wifi was strong. The transfer went off without a hitch. Even folder organization is preserved.

The difference in screen size is unreal! Red looks better than I expected. I'm used to getting all my gadgets in black, but Mario red is pretty sweet. Definitely worth the upgrade price ($105 including tax, plus a few other expenses like $9 Hori screen protectors and I'll have to find a bigger case).

[quote name='Play3rtwo']what's the trade in of a dsi ?

not xl mind you , but the old school dsi[/QUOTE]

DSI $50, DSI XL $60, 3DS $100 and strategic wild-ass guess at DS Lite $40 (did not actually confirm that one.)

Also, you can not trade in two or three diff models it only gives the promo to one.

[quote name='lilman']Just got back from trading in for a red XL. The wifi in the store was horrible, so I had to buy the unit at full price, walk over to the local B&N (GS was in a mall), do the transfer, then go back for a return/rebuy. I recommend going home to do the transfer if you have a lot of stuff. I had 1.2 gigs, including the 20 ambassador games, and the transfer took 30 mins. Luckily the XL had enough battery and B&N's wifi was strong. The transfer went off without a hitch. Even folder organization is preserved.

The difference in screen size is unreal! Red looks better than I expected. I'm used to getting all my gadgets in black, but Mario red is pretty sweet. Definitely worth the upgrade price ($105 including tax, plus a few other expenses like $9 Hori screen protectors and I'll have to find a bigger case).[/QUOTE]

Is it really Mario red? I was disappointed because it looks more like the crimson DS Lite, which I'm not really a fan of.

Nope, this is Mario Red (to me) on the outside, with black siding and when you flip it open, it's nice and matte black.

Seriously, I played the original Mario for a bit and then moved onto the new Super Mario Bros 2... Just played for about 2.5 hrs, and no hand cramps. Battery is still at 30% but I decided to charge it up.

Edit: What is this about a free game with 3ds purchase? I will sea-lawyer that bad boy for my 3ds XL if it's from gamestop. Free games man.

[quote name='MSUHitman']There will be a promotion applied by the register to bump the trade to $100. It will have base at $X then a promo for $Y to get it to $100.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm something isn't making sense to me. On my receipt it says $75 total for my 3DS with a promo of $25 below it. Is it supposed to show "-$100" or "-$75" as the total for the trade in on the receipt? My DSi XL shows a trade in of $60 total with a bonus of $34 as well. I'm so confused :lol:

Just got back from Best Buy. They matched gamestops trade in offer and let me do a system transfer in store...

After all my trade ins, I got the Red 3DS XL, New Super Mario Bros 2, a 1 year accidental damage warranty, and a case, out the door for 20 dollars from my pocket.

Not bad at all I would say :D

According to Gamestop's site, it says free with a 3DS or 3DS XL purchase O_O? But is it online only?

Someone on Gamefaqs claims they got it too

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']Ok,

I'm back. At Gamestop at opening. Bought the 3DS XL, went to Panera. Set up the XL's internet. It took roughly 30 minutes to do a complete transfer of systems. The ONLY thing you need the internet for, it seems, is an initial system query to verify we can transfer. The transfer itself is local. Then a connection again on the end system to the Nintendo store.

Verified my ambassador transferred.

Took the receipt back to the store, did the return and got my 100 off. They only wanted the 3DS, the charger, the stylus.

Easy peezy but MAN it was slow. 2 Panera coffees and a pee. That's a bit for me :)

Games look pretty good. I expected a stretch of the image but it's pretty good. I like the 3 buttons at the bottom and the new screen opening click is nice. I won't use the 3D slider click but it's nice to have I guess. Moving the stylus to the side is awesome cause it's right there. No searching for it. I've played KH on it. Looks nice. About to boot up Zelda to make sure the Ambassador games look the same after it finishes charging.[/QUOTE]

Know for a FACT its going to take a long time to do a transfer if you got a lot of games cause on a stand alone line ( in my house) it took me an hour to transfer my stuff from a DSI TO 3DS

now go to a public hot spot and its probally 3x as long due to traffic

So when does this offer expire?
And what do you need to bring? Just the 3DS and stylus and charger or do you also need to bring the cradle?
Thanks

Just called, apparently you ARE supposed to get a free game lol.

Not sure if it combines with the upgrade promo, but I'm gonna drive up there and see.

[quote name='dgwillia006']According to Gamestop's site, it says free with a 3DS or 3DS XL purchase O_O? But is it online only?

Someone on Gamefaqs claims they got it too[/QUOTE]

Trying right now. I'm in good with some people so here's hoping (fingers crossed) Pilotwings would be 100000x times better on this screen.

Free game confirmed: Pilot Wings or Steel Diver. Heading over.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']Trying right now. I'm in good with some people so here's hoping (fingers crossed) Pilotwings would be 100000x times better on this screen.

Free game confirmed: Pilot Wings or Steel Diver. Heading over.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop told me it was only with regular 3DS. I pulled up their website on my phone, showed them the main screen of the 3DS section, where it says FREE WITH 3DS XL. They scanned PW and it rang up free with my purcahse of the 3DS XL. They claim they were told it wouldn't work, so all the ppl before me missed out on a free game!

EDIT: Here is the link saying you get a free game with 3DS XL: (IN STORE ALSO) http://www.gamestop.com/collection/nintendo-3ds

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Is it really Mario red? I was disappointed because it looks more like the crimson DS Lite, which I'm not really a fan of.[/QUOTE]
Hmm, maybe a bit darker than Mario red. This may be more of a Varia Suit red. I'm not the best judge of colors. Whatever it is, it looks sweet. The red is on the top and bottom, but inside is all matte black. Helps you to keep your eyes attentive on the screen. For that same reason though, I like how the indicator lights were hidden on the original 3DS.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']Trying right now. I'm in good with some people so here's hoping (fingers crossed) Pilotwings would be 100000x times better on this screen.

Free game confirmed: Pilot Wings or Steel Diver. Heading over.[/QUOTE]

Interesting...just came back from GS and asked the guy this exact question and he said the free game comes only with the 3DS purchase:roll: and all the signs in store, none say 3DXL on them so I didn't have much ammo to fight with. OK thanks for the info...will go back but still don't know if it stacks with the trade in deal or not and that's the main deal, of course...

[quote name='dgwillia006']Hah, to anyone who really wants a screen protector today on their XL. Just buy the official Sony Vita ones.

If you cut a tiny sliver off of either of the ends, it fits damn near perfectly. (Covers the screen fully, and doesnt obstruct the 3D). Plus they are pretty amazing quality[/QUOTE]

Thanks man! Didn't think of this myself, it worked like a charm. God I love this system, the big screen really makes an enormous difference.

You guys are lucky. I only got $75 for my 3DS and $60 for my DSi XL at Gamestop. And I retained all original stuff, they were packaged like new.

[quote name='nachosgrande']You guys are lucky. I only got $75 for my 3DS and $60 for my DSi XL at Gamestop. And I retained all original stuff, they were packaged like new.[/QUOTE]

Same thing for me dude. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I haven't opened my system yet, but I'm thinking about emailing their customer support for some assistance.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Anyone in the Cleveland area have any luck getting a store to let you do the return/rebuy? Every store I'm calling has shot it down.[/QUOTE]I called the one in Lakewood and they walked through the whole buy/transfer/return process unprompted. About to head over there now.

[quote name='cigaro']Just got back from Best Buy. They matched gamestops trade in offer and let me do a system transfer in store...

After all my trade ins, I got the Red 3DS XL, New Super Mario Bros 2, a 1 year accidental damage warranty, and a case, out the door for 20 dollars from my pocket.

Not bad at all I would say :D[/QUOTE]

I would love to have a best buy do that here... if i could do a STORE system transfer i would of today.

you did get ripped on the 1 year thing since the system comes with a FREE 1 year warranty on it

[quote name='slidecage']I would love to have a best buy do that here... if i could do a STORE system transfer i would of today.

you did get ripped on the 1 year thing since the system comes with a FREE 1 year warranty on it[/QUOTE]

Plus another 90 days when you register your system!

Just got back from GS with my free copy of Pilotwings :D (Last one too).

Not sure if its YMMV or not though, manager had to re-ring the transaction i think. On a side note, if anyone gets Steel Diver and would be willing to swap Club Nintendo codes message me. (Already have redeemed Pilot Wings)

[quote name='Tygamr']Still can't make up my mind...[/QUOTE]

Seriously, me too! The two things holding me back are the colors, yes I know it's shallow, and the fact there is not CPP yet or even a mention when it will be out. I'd like to continue playing RE Revelations and KH 3D with a second circle pad. Can't imagine going back to just using one on those games. I'm sure I could get $100 cash for my original after a system transfer. Big screen so temping after playing Vita!

Local Gamestop employees say their store isn't participating in the free Pilotwings/Steel Driver promo. Also, they have no wi-fi so I cannot transfer my eshop in store and they claim they cannot let me do the take home re-buy option to transfer my account. So once again Gamestop has completely failed me.

No wonder I felt bad when I placed my 3DS on the counter. It's like giving your child to a stranger in a dark alley.

[quote name='MilesDP5']Local Gamestop employees say their store isn't participating in the free Pilotwings/Steel Driver promo. Also, they have no wi-fi so I cannot transfer my eshop in store and they claim they cannot let me do the take home re-buy option to transfer my account. So once again Gamestop has completely failed me.

No wonder I felt bad when I placed my 3DS on the counter. It's like giving your child to a stranger in a dark alley.[/QUOTE]

Its advertised on their website, I would call corporate on them or tell them to just scan a PW, it should automatically come up 0.00

[quote name='MilesDP5']Local Gamestop employees say their store isn't participating in the free Pilotwings/Steel Driver promo. Also, they have no wi-fi so I cannot transfer my eshop in store and they claim they cannot let me do the take home re-buy option to transfer my account. So once again Gamestop has completely failed me.

No wonder I felt bad when I placed my 3DS on the counter. It's like giving your child to a stranger in a dark alley.[/QUOTE]

my gamestop wouldn't let me transfer either. the guy seemed incredulous that i cared about not losing my content.

if they wanted to be seen as a place that caters to gamers, they could easily extend the trade in offer to customers who trade in a 3ds with a receipt from the XL (credit your original payment for the trade in value). ..but of course they could care less.. as long as they have hordes of meatheads lining up to get $5 trade in values on their collections everytime a new call of duty or madden comes out.

it's all good though.. any good condition 3ds should easily fetch 100-120 if you sell it on your own

[quote name='Ilovetots']Just called my local store and the manger said the deal lasts until September 2.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for reporting this but can anyone else confirm this one? I'm not doubting you but with any retail manager they might not always be right on what they think they know.

Yea, my store had 30 copies of Steel Diver. Zero pilot wings. Called the next store (literally a block over). One copy of Pilot Wings. Went over there and those guys told me no they couldn't do it. I told them yes they could, ring the damn thing up because I had JUST had the discussion (multiple) with the other store. Then the nublet there asked if he could do it on the used one and I said it says new. They did it and were surprised.

This is why I don't shop at that store anymore.

But I feel like I got my monies worth today.

According to the IN-STORE ads, the offer expires 31Aug12. They were PRINTED all over the boxes on these circle adverts. About a 5-6 in. circle ad. They were IN both stores. And there isn't a stipulation it SIMPLY says 3DS therefore can apply to both since they are BOTH 3DS'. Had I thought about it I'd have snapped a photo (with my 3DSXL) (this would have tested camera quality, too).

My local Gamestop in Cranston, RI was well aware of the promo and know people want to do the system transfer. They even hand out printed instruction on how to perform it at home.

When I return to Gamestop to get my $100 back the guy keep saying "nice" because I had everything, including the 3DS instruction booklet, AR cards and even the box in great condition lol. Also he give me an extra $1 credit for the 2GB SD card that original came with the 3DS itself. WTF? Oh well, more credit for me! :D

...And looks like I'm going back to get my free game!

bread's done
Back