GameStop: $100 trade in credit on 3DS to upgrade to 3DS XL!

cigaro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Preliminary word from gamestop has just come in this morning to the systems, letting them know about this promotion.

CREDIT GOES TO StormKing3 on the IGN boards. Here is a quote from him:

"I wish I could tell you more, but that is all that is known on my end at this time. If you want to call your local GS, tell them to check their "go store" or "go system" if they are not yet aware of it. I asked this clerk to check even though she insisted there was nothing. Appatently it was added this morning without prior notice. This is breaking news ATM. Even for the employees."

It seems that many of the stores are nto aware of this yet, and it will be a couple days until it is officially advertised.

I have called my local stores and ask them to check, and they have confirmed they have received the info.

This is great news for those looking for upgrades! Call your stores and see what you can find out people :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Went back to Best Buy b/c they forgot to give me the universal case. They gave me Pilot Wings. Re BB warranty, unlike 1 yr Nintendo it covers accidents (ie 5 yr old son drop 3DS in toilet).

I picked up my 3ds xl and gamestop gave me a paper about transfering and said I have 7 days to transfer and get my 100 dollars credited back to my bank account.

[quote name='smcmanus1980']DSI $50, DSI XL $60, 3DS $100 and strategic wild-ass guess at DS Lite $40 (did not actually confirm that one.)

Also, you can not trade in two or three diff models it only gives the promo to one.[/QUOTE]

This is confirmed for anyone else wondering. I took a 3DS and DS Lite to trade and was offered $100 for the 3DS and $18 for the lite because they only allow a bonus on one system.

I kept my Lite.

hmmmmm ends 9/16 huh, smh if Nintendo announces a new color within that time.

i know a new color will be out on black friday/the holidays but if NoA comes out with one for September/October i'll be :(

My GameStop said if I did the take home method, they would only give me a $100 store credit.
Luckily the one I went to had internet and the transfer went smoothly.
I am very happy to pay $100 for the screen upgrade and still keep my Ambassador stuff.

$100 credit if I return my old system within the week. Worked like a charm--they even gave me a printout showing how to do my system transfer. The only problem I had was finding a store that had some xl's in stock. Sold out everywhere. Had to take a road trip.

I wasn't planning on getting the xl, but this deal...I couldn't resist. And wow does the old system look like a POS next to it.

Stupid question... the charger on the 3DS XL can be used to charge 3DS right? Does anyone know the 3DS charger can be used to charge DSi? I know the DS lite chargers are different from the DSi.... I never really pay any attention until my DSi charger is missing :whistle2:( (I actually tried to charge the DSi with the DS lite charger and sadly discovered it doesn't work).

[quote name='Serpentor']Stupid question... the charger on the 3DS XL can be used to charge 3DS right? Does anyone know the 3DS charger can be used to charge DSi? I know the DS lite chargers are different from the DSi.... I never really pay any attention until my DSi charger is missing :whistle2:( (I actually tried to charge the DSi with the DS lite charger and sadly discovered it doesn't work).[/QUOTE]

The DSi/DSi XL chargers are the same as the 3DS/3DS XL chargers.

[quote name='KtMack23']How do DS games look on this?[/QUOTE]

They look better than on the 3DS owing largely to the larger screen but still not the greatest quality. A little blurry and the colors seemed a bit washed out still. Sad that the DS games don't look as good on the 3DS.

[quote name='slidecage']bet she was a lot nicer looking before the fake boobs[/QUOTE]

Hitomi Tanaka is 100% natural! :D no fakies for her!

[quote name='slidecage']I would love to have a best buy do that here... if i could do a STORE system transfer i would of today.

you did get ripped on the 1 year thing since the system comes with a FREE 1 year warranty on it[/QUOTE]

Does nintendo's 1 year warranty cover accidental damage like cracked screens from dropping, water damage, etc? Cuz the one I have does.

[quote name='cigaro']Does nintendo's 1 year warranty cover accidental damage like cracked screens from dropping, water damage, etc? Cuz the one I have does.[/QUOTE]

no, it only covers manufacturer defects, not physical damage

Does anyone know the trade in value of the original DSi?

I'm hearing $50 and $65.

I made it to Gamestop before work - but in my rush I forgot the AC adapter - so I was instantly turned away. XD

Picked up a red and blue 3ds XL. Did the transfer at home. The games that I downloaded from ambassador program stayed on original SD card. When I did the trade in (going back after I bought), I kept the 2GB SD card from the original 3DS.

I did check, when the transfer is complete, it shows up in your download history at the Nintendo Shop. So, you can re-download from the Nintendo store on the new system for free. I tried copying the 2GB contents after the transfer to the new system. The games did not show up on the 4GB card. This is all FYI. Gamestop ended up paying me 200 + tax in cash back to me.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']so to do a transfer I gotta purchase the system, then go home transfer, come back with receipt and original 3DS to trade in for them to adjust?[/QUOTE]
Yes, but I would tell that that is what you are doing and even have them inpsect the unit you are trading in to make sure the accept it.

[quote name='Broseph']Does anyone know the trade in value of the original DSi?

I'm hearing $50 and $65.

I made it to Gamestop before work - but in my rush I forgot the AC adapter - so I was instantly turned away. XD[/QUOTE]
It depends if you are trading it in for the 3ds XL or not. If you are I think they said like 60 or 65. But call them to make sure.

[quote name='doctor lollypop']if i trade in my 3ds what do i need for full credit (AR cards,cradle, charger, manual, SD card)[/QUOTE]

System, charger cord, stylus.

[quote name='doctor lollypop']if i trade in my 3ds what do i need for full credit (AR cards,cradle, charger, manual, SD card)[/QUOTE]
At my gamestop, they just wanted the 3DS and charger. I kept the SD card (left it out). They checked the slot, but did not say anything about it missing. Brought it just in case.

[quote name='Broseph']Does anyone know the trade in value of the original DSi?

I'm hearing $50 and $65.

I made it to Gamestop before work - but in my rush I forgot the AC adapter - so I was instantly turned away. XD[/QUOTE]

Its fifty bucks if your trading it in towards the 3ds until september 16th, DealSeeker2U posted a scan of all the values a page back.

[quote name='KtMack23']How do DS games look on this?[/QUOTE]

I put in Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box and I thought it looked pretty good. I also played Tetris Party Live from the DSi store and it looked good too. I'd say both looked similar to how they looked on the DSi XL, maybe a bit washed out, but a lot better than they looked on the original 3DS screen.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Does the XL come with the AR cards?[/QUOTE]

Yes it does. Exact same ones as the original 3DS.

Does anyone know if this also combines with the promo that lets you get a free copy of Pilotwings Resort with the purchase of 3DS / 3DS XL hardware?

[quote name='boylover']Does anyone know if this also combines with the promo that lets you get a free copy of Pilotwings Resort with the purchase of 3DS / 3DS XL hardware?[/QUOTE]

Read back.. it's less than 3 pages.

Seriously.

For example, the discussion began on 14... 3 people verified the answer by 14. It showed up again on 15.

Local Gamestop allowed people to buy 3DS XL, take it home then transfer what you want to new system then return "old" 3DS for the $100.00 trade in credit.

I ended up tracking down the last 3DS XL (blue) at a local Fry's and got it for $179.99! :D This was a one-day deal for today only.

Dallas, TX area

[quote name='inky1600']Interesting...just came back from GS and asked the guy this exact question and he said the free game comes only with the 3DS purchase:roll: and all the signs in store, none say 3DXL on them so I didn't have much ammo to fight with. OK thanks for the info...will go back but still don't know if it stacks with the trade in deal or not and that's the main deal, of course...[/QUOTE]

Same thing. All the signs indicate a game with a 3DS, not 3DS XL. Going to stop by tomorrow, and show him the website KrisMKX posted. Is there a source (aside from the website) somewhere I can show the employees at game that the deal applies to the XL, in store? Or are the online deals supposed to work in store as well?

[quote name='jusinjusin']Same thing. All the signs indicate a game with a 3DS, not 3DS XL. Going to stop by tomorrow, and show him the website KrisMKX posted. Is there a source (aside from the website) somewhere I can show the employees at game that the deal applies to the XL, in store? Or are the online deals supposed to work in store as well?[/QUOTE]

Again, a few posts back. Just tell them to ring up the XL and ring up the game. It'll show for free. Nothing more "solid" than that.

There are ads also noted. 3DS is a 3DS is a 3DS, regardless whether they tack an XL onto the name.

P.S. If people haven't figured this out by the hearsay on this thread. Gamestop employees seem to be very scattered because they immediately tell you NO without checking. If they check, or you tell them to check, or tell them to look at the Go Store (fixed) they'll promptly get their head from their bums.

Traded in by 3DS with stylus and charger only. I took out the SD card. They honored the free game after I showed the GS site, thanks OP.

I was able to take the 3DS XL home today and do the system transfer, then return the 3DS XL and get the $100 credit for selling my old 3DS. Most other local Gamestops wouldn't allow it, but the manager at the Memorial City Mall said they received a new print-out this morning telling employees to allow this and how to ring it up. Weird that the other stores didn't honor it, but they seemed a lot lazier...

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']Again, a few posts back. Just tell them to ring up the XL and ring up the game. It'll show for free. Nothing more "solid" than that.

There are ads also noted. 3DS is a 3DS is a 3DS, regardless whether they tack an XL onto the name.

P.S. If people haven't figured this out by the hearsay on this thread. Gamestop employees seem to be very scattered because they immediately tell you NO without checking. If they check, or you tell them to check, or tell them to look at the Ghost Store they'll promptly get their head from their bums.[/QUOTE]

Wow you got that right, man! I took advantage of 3 GameStock deals on each of 3 different days at 2 different GameStops. In all 3 cases, the employee(s) looked at me like I had 2 heads when I mentioned the deal. They were shocked when I forced them to try to ring it and they saw the deals come up. At both stores, a pile of GameStock flyers were lying right there by the register at the employee(s) fingertips! Yet they had no clue about that stuff:roll: The day I got Mortal Kombat for Vita for $9.99 even the store manager was stunned and said he was gonna buy a couple copies now that I told him about it:lol: So no surprise that they gave me the wrong info today...

Don't even ask, just bring the game up to the counter like you are going to pay for it. It automatically rings up free. I was the last reserve to pick up my XL today and the manager said he felt guilty he did not inform all the other purchasers about the free game. He didn't know about it till I went in at 330 pm. I'm glad though because I was able to pick up the gutted last copy of pilot wings. I don't need anymore copies of steel diver(thanksbestbuy). I went with the $40 for a ds lite, Actually made a profit on it.lol

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']Again, a few posts back. Just tell them to ring up the XL and ring up the game. It'll show for free. Nothing more "solid" than that.[/QUOTE]

Well you see.... I already purchased the system :whistle2:#. I'll have them try it anyway, and then I'll mention this "Ghost Store" you speak of. Thanks, everyone :)

BB (Polaris Mall, Columbus OH) did not require that I show the GS add that I had pulled up on my iPhone. The only copy of Pilotwings they had was used b/ I took it. The free case is not half bad. Not sure of the cost b/ I feel like between the case, free game and RZ points; BB is the way to go.

My 3DS is on a AMBASADOR Program. Can I transfer the games for the new 3DS XL? Will it show on the new 3DS XL that I'm on a AMBASADOR Program (is that linked to my account or it's for the gaming console thing?)

[quote name='Dzey']My 3DS is on a AMBASADOR Program. Can I transfer the games for the new 3DS XL? Will it show on the new 3DS XL that I'm on a AMBASADOR Program (is that linked to my account or it's for the gaming console thing?)[/QUOTE]

Yes. You get all your Ambassador games and the Certificate. I just transferred mine successfully a few hours ago.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']Again, a few posts back. Just tell them to ring up the XL and ring up the game. It'll show for free. Nothing more "solid" than that.

P.S. If people haven't figured this out by the hearsay on this thread. Gamestop employees seem to be very scattered because they immediately tell you NO without checking. If they check, or you tell them to check, or tell them to look at the Ghost Store they'll promptly get their head from their bums.[/QUOTE]

FYI, it's "Go Store", not "Ghost Store."

Usually I just ring it up to see if it'll go through.

[quote name='cassidyarch']Yes. You get all your Ambassador games and the Certificate. I just transferred mine successfully a few hours ago.[/QUOTE]

Oh my. This changes everything.

Pilotwings Resort or Steel Diver is for free with the purchase of any 3ds until 9/30/12. I got this information from the Gamestop website and it also works online too.

I just can't move on this, I have the Zelda edition, and the Blue and Red xl's look like Fisher Price toys. I'm holding out for the inevitable black/white editions, maybe some metallics closer to the holidays. Could someone with the xl talk about how the colors look in person? Are they as bright as they're looking in pics I'm seeing?

[quote name='kitsunisan']I just can't move on this, I have the Zelda edition, and the Blue and Red xl's look like Fisher Price toys. I'm holding out for the inevitable black/white editions, maybe some metallics closer to the holidays. Could someone with the xl talk about how the colors look in person? Are they as bright as they're looking in pics I'm seeing?[/QUOTE]

It looks better in person and feels very nice.

[quote name='KrisMKX']Hitomi Tanaka is 100% natural! :D no fakies for her![/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking.

edit: the post previous to mine could have also followed the quote I was reffering too. LOL

The red color is a hair lighter/brighter than my mario dsi xl with a metallic sheen i to it.

bread's done
Back