GameStop: $100 trade in credit on 3DS to upgrade to 3DS XL!

cigaro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Preliminary word from gamestop has just come in this morning to the systems, letting them know about this promotion.

CREDIT GOES TO StormKing3 on the IGN boards. Here is a quote from him:

"I wish I could tell you more, but that is all that is known on my end at this time. If you want to call your local GS, tell them to check their "go store" or "go system" if they are not yet aware of it. I asked this clerk to check even though she insisted there was nothing. Appatently it was added this morning without prior notice. This is breaking news ATM. Even for the employees."

It seems that many of the stores are nto aware of this yet, and it will be a couple days until it is officially advertised.

I have called my local stores and ask them to check, and they have confirmed they have received the info.

This is great news for those looking for upgrades! Call your stores and see what you can find out people :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kitsunisan']I just can't move on this, I have the Zelda edition, and the Blue and Red xl's look like Fisher Price toys. I'm holding out for the inevitable black/white editions, maybe some metallics closer to the holidays. Could someone with the xl talk about how the colors look in person? Are they as bright as they're looking in pics I'm seeing?[/QUOTE]

They have a nice metallic shine to them. They look way better than I thought they would look.

I have an aqua blue 3DS that I'm going to flip on Amazon. If I had a Zelda 3DS it would be a little harder to get rid of, but the bigger screens are worth it. It comes down to what's more important, bigger screens or a black/gold Zelda coloring?

[quote name='omyard']They have a nice metallic shine to them. They look way better than I thought they would look.

I have an aqua blue 3DS that I'm going to flip on Amazon. If I had a Zelda 3DS it would be a little harder to get rid of, but the bigger screens are worth it. It comes down to what's more important, bigger screens or a black/gold Zelda coloring?[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't be surprised if they make a zelda themed 3DS XL.

You think NA will get the Pikachu Yellow by Black Friday?
pika3ds-610x456.jpg

[quote name='cassidyarch']Yes. You get all your Ambassador games and the Certificate. I just transferred mine successfully a few hours ago.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. My follow up question is what about my old 3ds will it loose all the ambasador games that were on it? If I log out my Nintendo Account from my old 3ds all the ambasador games will be gone aswell?

Got a sexy blue 3DS XL today at Gamestop, bought for 200 and they let me transfer the games at home. Took it back and they then gave me a full refund on the XL and then sold me the same XL and got 100 off from trading my original 3DS. Gamestop dude was helpful but they did not know that the free game was for both 3DS and XL. They had no new copy's of pilotwings so I got steal diver, wanted to fly around Wuhu Island so that sucks.. Had a good surprise when I remembered I got about 200 more club Nintendo coins.

Really liking the new handheld. THAT SCREEN IS HUGE but it still looks good for not having higher resolution.

[quote name='Dzey']Thanks for the reply. My follow up question is what about my old 3ds will it loose all the ambasador games that were on it? If I log out my Nintendo Account from my old 3ds all the ambasador games will be gone aswell?[/QUOTE]

No, you can only have your Ambassador games on one system at a time. They don't copy over, they transfer over. You also get a limited number of transfers. When you set up the transfer, it lets you know how many you have left. You get FIVE total.

[quote name='kitsunisan']I just can't move on this, I have the Zelda edition, and the Blue and Red xl's look like Fisher Price toys. I'm holding out for the inevitable black/white editions, maybe some metallics closer to the holidays. Could someone with the xl talk about how the colors look in person? Are they as bright as they're looking in pics I'm seeing?[/QUOTE]

It looks fine not near as bad as I thought when seeing them online.

Looks much better in person! The guy at best buy was nice enough to open both consoles so I can compare. As another poster stated, it's more like a metallic sheen. I thought red was gonna be too bright but it's not so I chose that one.

Anyone Really think we would get a POKEMON 2 3DS system bundle

may hold off and see if they do

BUY a 3ds xl get pokemon 2 free or 50% off

Yea, I was unimpressed by the BOX colors of the Red and Blue. I chose the Red as it seems very nice to my eyes. The blue was nice but I'm not really a light blue kinda guy. If they made it midnight blue, I'd have been all over that.

I'm SURE we'll be seeing the 3DS XL S.E's. I would almost put down money for one before Christmas for an uptick in sales. What it'll be is anyones guess but they did announce that yellow pikachu one and with Pokemon Black/White 2 coming out, it'd be good timing.

Just have to wait and see. Look at all the colors released overseas that didn't make their way to various countries. It's a conspiracy I tell you.

I like the 3ds xl. I picked it up yesterday. The bigger screen is awesome, although the 3d takes a little more getting used to for me. I was disappointed there was no charger cradle, and the old units look better on the outside. Transferring took forever, but it was cute to watch the Pikimin transfer the stuff over. Also had to redownload all the ambassador stuff, and pretty sure I lost my save games there.

I would recommend this, especially for games like RE.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']Yea, I was unimpressed by the BOX colors of the Red and Blue. I chose the Red as it seems very nice to my eyes. The blue was nice but I'm not really a light blue kinda guy. If they made it midnight blue, I'd have been all over that.

I'm SURE we'll be seeing the 3DS XL S.E's. I would almost put down money for one before Christmas for an uptick in sales. What it'll be is anyones guess but they did announce that yellow pikachu one and with Pokemon Black/White 2 coming out, it'd be good timing.

Just have to wait and see. Look at all the colors released overseas that didn't make their way to various countries. It's a conspiracy I tell you.[/QUOTE]

Whats funny is the Blue one is not even no where near light blue...its dark blue with a metalic shine to it...its soooo nice looking.

[quote name='Play3rtwo']does the nyko power pak work on the 3ds xl?[/QUOTE]

No. The battery set up for the XL is completely different and the power back has the screw holes for the original 3DS. Besides with the XL's extended life, you basically get a nyko pak with the XL's base model.

[quote name='gogeta85']Whats funny is the Blue one is not even no where near light blue...its dark blue with a metalic shine to it...its soooo nice looking.[/QUOTE]

Darker than this?

A6241744.jpg

Cause I was hoping for this

020054b.jpg
images

[quote name='likeme']Traded in by 3DS with stylus and charger only. I took out the SD card. They honored the free game after I showed the GS site, thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

Nice, was hoping I could keep the SD card. I'm going to transfer everything to the XL's bigger card, but I can use the 2gb card for other stuff/cheap flash drive with a usb reader.

Tried to buy one last night, but didn't realize GS closes at 6 on Sundays (has it always been like that???). A dude smoking pot outside was using the next door kinko's wifi to do a system transfer though, which I found amusing, haha.

img20120820070709.jpg
[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']No. The battery set up for the XL is completely different and the power back has the screw holes for the original 3DS. Besides with the XL's extended life, you basically get a nyko pak with the XL's base model.

Darker than this?

A6241744.jpg

Cause I was hoping for this

020054b.jpg
images
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KrisMKX']Am I the only weirdo who loves the smell of the 3DS XL Owners Manual?!![/QUOTE]

based on your sig..... yes

So I have a 3DS and a Nyko PowerPak on it. I don't know where my original battery and backplate is. Would they accept my 3DS for trade in?

OP doesn't mention... how long does this promotion last? Trying to see if I can muster $100 in cash / GS credit.

I got the blue, love the system, the color is pretty good could be a tad darker but thats okay. My one complaint is the buttons seem to feel more plasticy and also are much louder when you click the direction pad...anyone else notice how loud they are?

just got my xl, traded in a 3ds, dsi.
paid 67. also got the pilot wings :)

freaking awesome. havn't opened it yet (got the red one) but i'm so glad i did this.

Thanks CAG I went back to my Gamestop and told them I didn't get my free game with my 3DS XL purchase.....she thought it was only for the 3DS .....she checked said, "oh"...and I got a Pilotwings Resort

Sorry if I missed this in previous pages somewhere, but does anyone know if you can trade in two 3DS in at the same time with this promotion?

No, you only get the special price PER DS XL. So for example if you Trade a 3DS and DSi for the XL, you would get the bonus towards the 3DS but only base trade value to DSi. If you buy 2 3DS XL, then yes 100 per XL.

Do XL's have unique bar codes?

I ask, because I was wondering if I could buy a XL. Go home and transfer my 3DS stuff to it. Then trade in my 3DS for and another (same colored) XL and then return that XL with the first one's receipt.

Would this work?

Just got back from GameStop in Ann Arbor. I traded in 2 DSi XLs and a DS Lite, the manager gave me the bonus on all 3 ($60 each for the XLs and $40 for the Lite). Left with one blue and one red 3DS XL, Pilotwings, and Steel Diver for $268 after tax.

[quote name='v0yce']Do XL's have unique bar codes?

I ask, because I was wondering if I could buy a XL. Go home and transfer my 3DS stuff to it. Then trade in my 3DS for and another (same colored) XL and then return that XL with the first one's receipt.

Would this work?[/QUOTE]

Huh? lol. They all have unique bar codes. Most Gamestops will let you transfer everything over w/o a hassle. See previous posts in this thread.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']No, you only get the special price PER DS XL. So for example if you Trade a 3DS and DSi for the XL, you would get the bonus towards the 3DS but only base trade value to DSi. If you buy 2 3DS XL, then yes 100 per XL.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. They will accept two 3DS at the same time though, just at $100 + base value?

[quote name='Play3rtwo']just got my xl, traded in a 3ds, dsi.
paid 67. also got the pilot wings :)

freaking awesome. havn't opened it yet (got the red one) but i'm so glad i did this.[/QUOTE]

How much did you get for the DSi? I wanted to do the same thing, but GS said I can only get $100 towards the XL and no extra bonus for trading in the DSi.

[quote name='RADa5AURU5']Just got back from GameStop in Ann Arbor. I traded in 2 DSi XLs and a DS Lite, the manager gave me the bonus on all 3 ($60 each for the XLs and $40 for the Lite). Left with one blue and one red 3DS XL, Pilotwings, and Steel Diver for $268 after tax.[/QUOTE]

would gave you 75 for the xl if it was in mint shape

[quote name='keigetsu']Sorry if I missed this in previous pages somewhere, but does anyone know if you can trade in two 3DS in at the same time with this promotion?[/QUOTE]

I picked up my reserve blue, traded in a ds lite w/ bonus then. Returned it for a red one instead. Theoretically, i guess, trading another ds for bonuses would be possible if they let you.

[quote name='v0yce']Do XL's have unique bar codes?

Would this work?[/QUOTE]

each system has its own bar code and its printed on the recept

but why would you even do this

You have SYSTEM A
YOU BUY System B

you move A to B

You then Trade A for C and then try to return C?

you paid 200 for B What has your games on it now
You Traded A for C and paid 100 bucks more

You want to return C (i think you mean with B recept ) no it will not work

I confirmed that my GS didn't know about the promotion. The associate looked it up and told me to come in with my receipt to pick up my choice of game. Sweet!

[quote name='KrisMKX']Huh? lol. They all have unique bar codes. Most Gamestops will let you transfer everything over w/o a hassle. See previous posts in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for removing the bouncing from you sig. I kept worrying my wife would walk up behind me everytime I refreshed the thread, mesmerized by that freak of nature.

[quote name='slidecage']each system has its own bar code and its printed on the recept

but why would you even do this

You have SYSTEM A
YOU BUY System B

you move A to B

You then Trade A for C and then try to return C?

you paid 200 for B What has your games on it now
You Traded A for C and paid 100 bucks more

You want to return C (i think you mean with B recept ) no it will not work[/QUOTE]

I asked because some GS aren't allowing people to buy an XL go home and transfer and come back and trade in their 3DS and apply the credit towards their previous purchase.

And honestly my way seems just as easy. (assuming they had the same bar code/upc numbers)

GS applies the serial number of the system to the receipt. And as the threads have shown, don't take no. Talk to the manager. Talk to the DM. Tell them other stores are doing it for their customers. Tell them Best Buys are doing it for THEIR customers.

Be willing to walk out.

I want to confirm something.

The power button on the XL, is it supposed to feel "squishy" sort of? Like mine does not click like a button, it kinds of just pushes in. Sort of like the old start home menu buttons I guess.

Is that how it is for all of you? It feels so weird i dont understand why they did that when they consciously changed the other buttons...

[quote name='cigaro']I want to confirm something.

The power button on the XL, is it supposed to feel "squishy" sort of? Like mine does not click like a button, it kinds of just pushes in. Sort of like the old start home menu buttons I guess.

Is that how it is for all of you? It feels so weird i dont understand why they did that when they consciously changed the other buttons...[/QUOTE]

Yea my power button is soft too i hate that man....makes me feels as if i push to hard it might break.

[quote name='cassidyarch']No, you can only have your Ambassador games on one system at a time. They don't copy over, they transfer over. You also get a limited number of transfers. When you set up the transfer, it lets you know how many you have left. You get FIVE total.[/QUOTE]

Oh cause I posted my 3DS online for sale stating that it's an Ambasador Program handheld. So what happens if I dont transfer it to the new 3DS XL but logout my account there. Will the buyer still be able to play the Ambasador games? So if I don't transfer it from my old 3DS to the new XL I can't re download it anymore?

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']GS applies the serial number of the system to the receipt. And as the threads have shown, don't take no. Talk to the manager. Talk to the DM. Tell them other stores are doing it for their customers. Tell them Best Buys are doing it for THEIR customers.

Be willing to walk out.[/QUOTE]

many places can not will not do the transfer since they dont have WI FI.... Why didnt they just get one of those moble hotspots for a week and that would of fixxed everything but nope

[quote name='cigaro']I want to confirm something.

...[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is horrible. Feels like it doesnt register immediately. I also don't think it sounds as loud or crisp as the original, something i really like about the 3ds.

I noticed that too, as well as the Start, Home, and Select buttons. I think I'm expecting to hear a click from the four buttons, but they all just depress without feedback.
I too noticed the sound isn't as loud as the original 3DS. Wasn't one of the minor flaws of the original 3DS being that it wasn't that loud?

Btw, I tried to tether wifi from my phone to the 3DS devices when I did a system transfer... Don't do unless unless you have great signal. I kept getting errors during the transfer, and I just ended up going to Starbucks to do it there.

I really, really enjoy the 3DS XL, but all these headaches over systems transfers, ambassador status and ware games does an excellent job of showcasing Nintendo's shit-tastic system (or lack thereof) in an increasingly online-centric gaming world.

I feel like the screen on the XL is also more yellowish and dingy looking than my launch 3DS. I know some screens are warmer tint, but it looks kind of gross. For me at least, on a white background i can see pink on the right side and weird yellow hues on the middle.

It is very non uniform, much like what I have experienced with Apple products specifically the iPad.

Im thinking about exchanging it once to see if I get one that is any better.

[quote name='cigaro']I feel like the screen on the XL is also more yellowish and dingy looking than my launch 3DS. I know some screens are warmer tint, but it looks kind of gross. For me at least, on a white background i can see pink on the right side and weird yellow hues on the middle.

It is very non uniform, much like what I have experienced with Apple products specifically the iPad.

Im thinking about exchanging it once to see if I get one that is any better.[/QUOTE]

It should get better apparently, according to other people. I remember my 3DS was pretty yellow too, and i could barely tell after a while.

Just play it a lot. Mine is a bit yellow too, but i barely notice it except on the Menu, and in a few games (Mostly DS games, I cant even tell on 3DS games)

[quote name='cigaro']I feel like the screen on the XL is also more yellowish and dingy looking than my launch 3DS. I know some screens are warmer tint, but it looks kind of gross. For me at least, on a white background i can see pink on the right side and weird yellow hues on the middle.

Im thinking about exchanging it once to see if I get one that is any better.[/QUOTE]
My top XL screen is yellow around the edges and the whole bottom screen has a yellow tint. For a strictly gaming platform though, this is a non issue to me. On the other hand, I still have an iPad 1 because I went through two iPad 3 exchanges before finally giving up and doing a return on the third due to screen color issues (yellow tint on only half the screen, areas with pinkish hues or varying brightness, etc). With the iPad though, I read a lot of digital manga and tech docs, so black on white is crucial to me.

A good point about XL screens, I no longer have to watch my reflection while playing ^_^ I also like that I don't have to hold the 3DS so high in the air anymore.

[quote name='KrisMKX']Am I the only weirdo who loves the smell of the 3DS XL Owners Manual?!![/QUOTE]

YOUR SIGNATURE JUST MAKES ME WANT TO ANSWER YES TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS!

(side note: Google searched your signature girl and that bikini top looks much, much better on than it does off. Yikes.)

bread's done
Back