GameStop: $100 trade in credit on 3DS to upgrade to 3DS XL!

cigaro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Preliminary word from gamestop has just come in this morning to the systems, letting them know about this promotion.

CREDIT GOES TO StormKing3 on the IGN boards. Here is a quote from him:

"I wish I could tell you more, but that is all that is known on my end at this time. If you want to call your local GS, tell them to check their "go store" or "go system" if they are not yet aware of it. I asked this clerk to check even though she insisted there was nothing. Appatently it was added this morning without prior notice. This is breaking news ATM. Even for the employees."

It seems that many of the stores are nto aware of this yet, and it will be a couple days until it is officially advertised.

I have called my local stores and ask them to check, and they have confirmed they have received the info.

This is great news for those looking for upgrades! Call your stores and see what you can find out people :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I'll need to exchange my red 3DS XL. It has a bright spot on the bottom screen, not a stuck pixel, but there's a small area that is looks washed out. It had it since day one, I was hoping it would go away, but it's annoying enough that I need to exchange mine.

Wish the transfer process wasn't such a pain, I waited a week so that my unit would be available to transfer again, but now I have to do the whole transfer process all over with a new unit, hope the store doesn't give me any problems with it.

[quote name='DestinyHero']This is YMMV right? Thought you were only able to trade in one DS device and get the bonus applied.[/QUOTE]
Definitely YMMV. Though when I looked at the promo on the site, it never mentioned that. The clerk and the manager chatted back and forth before figuring out how they wanted to do the trade. it ends up being like 3 separate transactions (one for the original trade in and purchase, one for the return, and one for the rebuy with the 2nd trade in.

I had a horrible experience at gamestop trying to upgrade my 3DS to an XL. I planed to trade in my 3DS, and my DSi XL for a 3ds. I figured at the most I'd have to pay 80 bucks out of pocket.

Walked into the store put both my systems on the counter, and said i was trading for a 3ds. The guy started looking at both my systems said nothing, and proceeded to check me out. He went in the back and grabbed a blue 3ds like i had asked for.

So of course i pull out 80 bucks and I'm ready to pay then i hear him say "That will be $167.75" My jaw litterly dropped. I said wait I'm suppose to get 100 for a 3ds to 3ds XL, and 25 for the XL.

He then told me my 3ds was in horrible condition, and was un playable. He said no one is going to pay 140 for this. I asked him to point out the flaws of the system. He then said "It's dusty, We have to send it to clean it, and the hinges are broken."

So basically he had no real complaints. Dust is a minor issue and can be resolved with a napkin, and the hinges were fine. The screen stood up just fine in both positions. He then opened it up ever so slightly and said "see, it doesn't stay open when i open it up this little."

I got kind of furious because unless you open a 3ds to a certain point it will snap back closed. He kept trying to tell me no one will buy these, and we can't sell this broken systems for 140. We have to send them to HQ so they can refurb them and repackage them.

I asked what the refurb service would do to the systems and here were the steps here gave me.

1. Their gonna clean it. It's really dirty.
2. Their gonna open it up and clean the insides.
3. Severe testing to make sure nothing is faulty.
4. Put it in a brand new box.

All i heard was BS. I got pretty furious grabbed my systems and walked out. Now IDK if my systems really are that bad of quality But A guy from craigslist just called me and ofered me 110 for my 3ds he said "I'm surprised to see a 3ds for so cheap in such shape. Unless the buttons or Circle pad dont work i don't see anything wrong with it!"

So that's just me venting about my crappy GS experience today. I'll be heading back there tomorrow to get the money back i have on a reserve that i made just to get a beta code.

But now hopefully I can get my 3ds XL for 30 bucks instead of 80. 110 cash from CL, and 60 for my Dsi XL.

TL;DR

90% of Gamestop employees spew BS, and deserved to punched in the face by the Hulk.

The store locator seems to say that it is sold out everywhere around me. (and Beverly Hills, lol)

Are they really hard to find or is the locator just wonky?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']It says none within 100 miles of me. I'm guessing it's broken for now.[/QUOTE]

I hope so! I'm wanting to get one tomorrow. We have 2 stores here at least...

Is the promotion for getting Pilotwings or Steel Diver still going on with the purchase of a 3DS / 3DS XL? The Gamestop page says it's good until the 30th of September but when I click on the promotional link it doesn't appear to be active.

[quote name='Tobezijian']I had a horrible experience at gamestop trying to upgrade my 3DS to an XL. I planed to trade in my 3DS, and my DSi XL for a 3ds. I figured at the most I'd have to pay 80 bucks out of pocket.

Walked into the store put both my systems on the counter, and said i was trading for a 3ds. The guy started looking at both my systems said nothing, and proceeded to check me out. He went in the back and grabbed a blue 3ds like i had asked for.

So of course i pull out 80 bucks and I'm ready to pay then i hear him say "That will be $167.75" My jaw litterly dropped. I said wait I'm suppose to get 100 for a 3ds to 3ds XL, and 25 for the XL.

He then told me my 3ds was in horrible condition, and was un playable. He said no one is going to pay 140 for this. I asked him to point out the flaws of the system. He then said "It's dusty, We have to send it to clean it, and the hinges are broken."

So basically he had no real complaints. Dust is a minor issue and can be resolved with a napkin, and the hinges were fine. The screen stood up just fine in both positions. He then opened it up ever so slightly and said "see, it doesn't stay open when i open it up this little."

I got kind of furious because unless you open a 3ds to a certain point it will snap back closed. He kept trying to tell me no one will buy these, and we can't sell this broken systems for 140. We have to send them to HQ so they can refurb them and repackage them.

I asked what the refurb service would do to the systems and here were the steps here gave me.

All i heard was BS. I got pretty furious grabbed my systems and walked out. Now IDK if my systems really are that bad of quality But A guy from craigslist just called me and ofered me 110 for my 3ds he said "I'm surprised to see a 3ds for so cheap in such shape. Unless the buttons or Circle pad dont work i don't see anything wrong with it!"

So that's just me venting about my crappy GS experience today. I'll be heading back there tomorrow to get the money back i have on a reserve that i made just to get a beta code.

But now hopefully I can get my 3ds XL for 30 bucks instead of 80. 110 cash from CL, and 60 for my Dsi XL.

TL;DR

90% of Gamestop employees spew BS, and deserved to punched in the face by the Hulk.[/QUOTE]OK, here's what you do: Go back to that GS when that employee is working, buy something--anything--through him and rip him a new one via the survey on the receipt. I guarantee something will be done about this employee if you explain the situation carefully and succinctly.

[quote name='seanmcc']The store locator seems to say that it is sold out everywhere around me. (and Beverly Hills, lol)

Are they really hard to find or is the locator just wonky?[/QUOTE]

The store locater says its sold out everywhere around me too!:cry: Good thing the deal is good until September 16th so I assume Gamestop's will get some 3DS XL's units in by then.

[quote name='Tobezijian']I had a horrible experience at gamestop trying to upgrade my 3DS to an XL. I planed to trade in my 3DS, and my DSi XL for a 3ds. I figured at the most I'd have to pay 80 bucks out of pocket.

TL;DR

90% of Gamestop employees spew BS, and deserved to punched in the face by the

Huh? I traded in my 3ds and for the deal no problem. I also followed the rule of one system per transaction and cleaned my 3ds before I traded in.

[quote name='spug21'][quote name='Tobezijian']I had a horrible experience at gamestop trying to upgrade my 3DS to an XL. I planed to trade in my 3DS, and my DSi XL for a 3ds. I figured at the most I'd have to pay 80 bucks out of pocket.

TL;DR

90% of Gamestop employees spew BS, and deserved to punched in the face by the

Huh? I traded in my 3ds and for the deal no problem. I also followed the rule of one system per transaction and cleaned my 3ds before I traded in.[/QUOTE]

Jesus can't believe you sold your DSI XL for $25 to RipoffStop. I would bought that in a heart beat for double what you selling it for.

bread's done
Back