Gamestop 50% off Preowned External Xbox 360 Hard Drives

Picked up a 120GB at a local store. Was the elite one, looks brand new.
The employee said it was $49.99 asked him to scan it for me and BAM it was $25.

well if anyone is interested target has the transfer cable for $5 on clearance and from what i saw they had plenty to spare

[quote name='Finishoff']Picked up a 120GB at a local store. Was the elite one, looks brand new.
The employee said it was $49.99 asked him to scan it for me and BAM it was $25.[/QUOTE]

yep. that was my experience.

[quote name='exaznkid']well if anyone is interested target has the transfer cable for $5 on clearance and from what i saw they had plenty to spare[/QUOTE]

if you want to future proof your cable, you need to buy the new transfer cable that also works for the 360 slim drives as well as older 360 drives. the new cable lets you copy from slim drive (e.g., 250 GB) to new slim drive (e.g., 320 GB).

the old cable doesn't work with the new drives.

this is only if you want to be able to use the cable for any scenario. if you only have old 360s and have no intention of ever possibly getting a 360S, then it doesn't matter what cable you get.

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']Can i transfer save files onto my memory unit or flash drive to import into the new hard drive??[/QUOTE]

yes. but make sure the flash drive is empty. the drive needs to be formatted by the 360 before you can use it.

[quote name='Finishoff']Picked up a 120GB at a local store. Was the elite one, looks brand new.
The employee said it was $49.99 asked him to scan it for me and BAM it was $25.[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me tonight, except it was listed at $59.99 instead.

hey guys, does anyone know if only the 120gb rings up at half price or do the 60gb and the 20gb also ring up at 50% off?

I have a core system and I've been meaning to pick up an HD for a while; want to be able to see those halftime shows and replays in my sports games ;-)

Could someone please answer my question? Thanks!

[quote name='romeogbs19']hey guys, does anyone know if only the 120gb rings up at half price or do the 60gb and the 20gb also ring up at 50% off?

I have a core system and I've been meaning to pick up an HD for a while; want to be able to see those halftime shows and replays in my sports games ;-)

Could someone please answer my question? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Willing to bet those will ring up at the same price as stated online. The only one that isn't on sale is the 250 GB drive.

Just picked up a 120 GB drive in store for 24.99. As soon as I asked for one, the cashier was like "the ones that are half off right?" so it looks like the store I went to was aware of the sale.

Maybe for some reason it's ymmv? I thought these types of sales were universal. Anyone have any luck in the Cleveland, Ohio area?

[quote name='BoromirsFan']none of the HDD are for the slims?[/QUOTE]

It was mentioned earlier that you can open up these hard drives and use them with the slim. Try looking in the first page, someone posted a link to YouTube on how it's done.

I put mine in my slim and it works brilliantly. It just uses some kind of pain-in-the-ass proprietary screws. I basically ripped the metal shielding off because I couldn't get it unscrewed. It's jagged and uneven, but it also holds the drive in place better. I'd probably recommend unscrewing it properly.

Oh crap! I need a 120 big time! My 20 gig phatty is constantly being trimmed of arcade titles. So in for 1 if I can find one in store!

You can crack open the old style drive enclosures and remove the hard drive and then stick the hard drive into the slim. Alll you need is the right screwdriver/bit...I think it is a torx screw, although off the top of my head, I'm not sure which size it is. The exposed drive is smaller than the space for it in the slim, so it isn't well supported in the space, so you need to be careful when moving the 360. Or you can buy a knock off slim enclosure (which is just a price of plastic that holds the drive in proper position...the hard drive directly interface with 360 slim) off ebay for about $10 shipped. I did this a few months ago with old drive and xbox 4GB and it has worked out quite well.

[quote name='BoromirsFan']im assuming this voids the warranty like it does for ps3? I could consider getting a 200$ slim with this "take apart" scheme.[/QUOTE]

It voids the warranty on the hard drive not the xbox itself.

All you need is a torx screwdriver to take it apart. It's really simple to do. I put a 60gb drive in my slim. Was really hoping to get a 120gb since Rock Band dlc has eaten so much space on my 60gb...

[quote name='K_G']You can crack open the old style drive enclosures and remove the hard drive and then stick the hard drive into the slim. Alll you need is the right screwdriver/bit...I think it is a torx screw, although off the top of my head, I'm not sure which size it is. The exposed drive is smaller than the space for it in the slim, so it isn't well supported in the space, so you need to be careful when moving the 360. Or you can buy a knock off slim enclosure (which is just a price of plastic that holds the drive in proper position...the hard drive directly interface with 360 slim) off ebay for about $10 shipped. I did this a few months ago with old drive and xbox 4GB and it has worked out quite well.[/QUOTE]

As he eluded you don't need the plastic thing, the drive fits in really sturdy without it. The torx things a pretty cheap.

I have a set and would haply disassemble and sell the 120GB Elite drive I just got for $32 since I don't actually need it. Probably will end up eBaying it otherwise.

Watch this youtube video how it can be done. Link

Also you can get a slim hard drive case on eBay for like $10. Link

NOTE: The gamestop employee told me the sale ends on Sunday which is tomorrow.

If they're telling you they're the wrong price they're not looking in the right place. If they're doing an inventory search it will show up for the normal price but once they scan it in the register section of their PoS it will show up with the normal price then a promo applied to drop the price to the sale price.

Picked one up this morning. The GS employee did not know about the sale an told me they were $49 for the 120gb. I just let him ring it up thinking that and sure enough it rung up for $25 and with PUR it knocked 10% off. Great deal since my 60gb is pretty full with arcade games and now Crysis 1. Thanks OP!!

Seems like the general rule is not to call, but I did. Called a few actually. They all said the 120gb hd was $49.99 Probably does ring out differently than what is says in the system since it always takes discounts off after it's totaled out. Of course they won't do that over the phone...

while this sounds like a great way to save money, i don't think i should get a HDD out of the blue because i dont have a 360 yet.

I was counting on a price cut to compete with sonys cut but i guess not for awhile. With black friday in a month, i dont want to get this HDD but then see a potential awesome 360 deal.

Yup, worked like a charm. The same chick on the phone was right there. Rang up to 22 and change with the PUR. Best deal ever!

I actually took the chance and had it held in store via the website. First time ive ever used it for that. Worked out well. I just selected pick up in store and picked a primary and a backup store and they sent me an email saying its been confirmed then another one about 15min later saying my primary store had it set aside for me. I walked into the store and told them i reserved it and it was already bagged and tagged for me. didnt even have to reswipe my members card. Now i just gotta get a transfer kit.

Hmm...more interested in the 250 GB version. It would be nice if that was included. How much does that go for used?

Also, it would be nice if the memory cards were 50% off. Definitely, would pick up 2 of the 512 MB units. I know I can use a USB thumb/flash drive, but might as well make use of those memory card ports on my 120 GB system.

[quote name='kit352']...Now i just gotta get a transfer kit.[/QUOTE]

Same here. My store was out. Couldn't even get one if I wanted to buy.

Couldn't pass up the 120gb for $25... picked one up in store and it rang up correctly, to the surprise of the desk clerk. Finally I get to ditch that puny little 20gb drive I've had all these years.

Thanks for the heads up, guys. I went to my local gamestop and it rang up as 49.99. Went to the next store about a mile up the road and got it for 21 bucks. Couldn't find any 5 dollar transfer cables in target though, so that's a bummer.

I finally got my 120hd and to make things even better I found a transfer kit on clearance at Target for $5. Have to quote the A-Team on this one. I love it when a plan comes together. Turns out it rings up at $49.99, but totals out at $24.99. Does seem to be universal, just misinformed employees.

[quote name='sp8001']Couldn't pass up the 120gb for $25... picked one up in store and it rang up correctly, to the surprise of the desk clerk. Finally I get to ditch that puny little 20gb drive I've had all these years.[/QUOTE]

+1. All of this, right down to finally ditching my old 20GB.

I had been trying to snipe a 120GB for

Picked up two 120gb's at my local gamestop 22.49 each. 44.98 total.
I was able to use up some of this credit I've been sitting on and I get to upgrade my old 60gb.

[quote name='kill3r7']Checkout YouTube for instructions but be warned that MS might ban you for doing this.[/QUOTE]

Why would MS ban you? Do you have a link to more info?

Chicago CAGs will be happy to know that both Canal Street GameStops have plenty of 120GB hard drives, and that they're ringing up at $24.99.

Thanks for the heads-up, everybody! Great deal.

[quote name='pvegeta']Thanks for the heads up, guys. I went to my local gamestop and it rang up as 49.99. Went to the next store about a mile up the road and got it for 21 bucks. Couldn't find any 5 dollar transfer cables in target though, so that's a bummer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah , I went to a store earlier after I got out of work this morning and asked her about the HD sale and she was adamant about it being an on-line only deal. I asked her to Price Check it but it still came up as 49.99. So I just walked out.

Saw on here that it would ring up at 24.99 when you were going to purchase it. So, I went to a different GS and the guy was pretty surprised and asked me if I knew it was going to ring up at that price.

Picked up a transfer cable as well so I can finally get rid of that 20 gig HD that I was running out of room with.

bread's done
Back