Gamestop 50% off Preowned External Xbox 360 Hard Drives

Thanks OP, and thanks to those that recommended just going in to the b&m store and having them ring it up. Got the 120gb one to finally unshackle my DL game collection from its 20gb prison (somehow i need to remember all the games i purchased but deleted so i can re-download them!)

There is no better reward for a Cheap Ass Gamer than to watch the checkout person's face turn from doubt to astonishment when they see the price drop on their screen by 60% in a sale they knew nothing about!

i did notice the GS website says that the 120gb drive's online price is $24.99 (out of stock) but the in-store price should be 49.99 -- so in other words, i wouldn't dilly-dally too much if you want this deal.

decided not to get a transfer cable since i have an 8gig flash drive. Does that work very well? I've never done data transfer on my xbox b4. I may check out target to see if i can score a $5 clearance cable too

I picked up a 120 GB drive. I imagine this is one of the better chances to get one before they become harder to find. I'm going to try the flash drive transfer. I do have a transfer cable that I got for cheap from dealextreme. I'm not sure how well that will work, though.

I reserved one last night online for in-store pick up at one of my local stores. Rang up $22.50 with Rewards card.

My nephews will get it for Christmas. They are going to be sooo happy. They have been talking about how full their 20gb HD is.

[quote name='pasolini']decided not to get a transfer cable since i have an 8gig flash drive. Does that work very well? I've never done data transfer on my xbox b4. I may check out target to see if i can score a $5 clearance cable too[/QUOTE]

I did mine with a 16 gig thumb drive. It was fairly easy. After you update your new drive move everything you want to the thumb from the old drive. Swap it to the new and move from thumb to hdd.

The key is to do a license transfer once your profile and stuff are moved to the new drive. This lets you play all your arcade titles on the new hdd. There's an option to license transfer under my account on the dash.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Althax']I did mine with a 16 gig thumb drive. It was fairly easy. After you update your new drive move everything you want to the thumb from the old drive. Swap it to the new and move from thumb to he'd.

The key is to do a license transfer once your profile and stuff are moved to the new drive. There's an option to license transfer under my account on the dash.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice! Since mine is 8gig i'll have to transfer in two batches... or maybe i'll just re-download some of the stuff to avoid having to move it.

Great deal, finally upgraded my 20gb hd to a 120gb.

[quote name='Althax']I did mine with a 16 gig thumb drive. It was fairly easy. After you update your new drive move everything you want to the thumb from the old drive. Swap it to the new and move from thumb to he'd.

The key is to do a license transfer once your profile and stuff are moved to the new drive. This lets you play all your arcade titles on the new hdd. There's an option to license transfer under my account on the dash.[/QUOTE]

The licenses are tied to your console id, if you're just upgrading the hard drive (but keeping the same console) you shouldn't have to transfer licenses. I copied everything to my flash drive (the one built into the slim), then copied to the new hard drive and everything works fine without transferring licenses.

Thanks OP!

I went to my local gamestop. They actually had a sale sign, advertising that the hard drives were on sale. I grabbed two of the 120s.

Just curious on how everyone in here is still on the 20GB HDD? I have over 100GB of space taken up in just the games folder on my 250 GB (old style) and that's with deleting DLC from shooters I no longer play.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Just curious on how everyone in here is still on the 20GB HDD? I have over 100GB of space taken up in just the games folder on my 250 GB (old style) and that's with deleting DLC from shooters I no longer play.[/QUOTE]
I was able to get by with a 20 GB drive, since the only games that I got DLC for was Mass Effect. I only started to run out of room when I wanted to install a disk to the hard drive. ME2 had two disks and I could only install 1 of them.

[quote name='erehwon']I was able to get by with a 20 GB drive, since the only games that I got DLC for was Mass Effect. I only started to run out of room when I wanted to install a disk to the hard drive. ME2 had two disks and I could only install 1 of them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really didn't have too much DLC myself and when I did have some I just deleted it whenever I was done with a game.

I do have a flash drive that I used to store some DLC, but I figure now I can do some game installs on the hard drive and give my disc drive a little rest.

Got a Halo 3 20GB drive for $8.99 because it looked cool. They're worthless now though.

Planning on taking it back to exchange for one that cosmetically matches my Arcade consoles. Whatever.

Awesome deal though on 20 and 120GB.

great deal just wish i had an xbox that took external hd's still :(

update!!!
OOOH friend just told me that you can use this on the Xbox slim too all you have to do is take the housing apart and remove the HD from it and slide it into you Xbox Slim!! he just showed me his and all he has is the xbox 4gb system with his old 120gb from his elite in there. :D

[quote name='XF Gator']Got a Halo 3 20GB drive for $8.99 because it looked cool. They're worthless now though.

Planning on taking it back to exchange for one that cosmetically matches my Arcade consoles. Whatever.

Awesome deal though on 20 and 120GB.[/QUOTE]

Oh, nice. I'll have to see if either of my GameStops have a Halo 3 hard drive. I have a Halo 3 console but the guy I bought it from didn't give me the hard drive. :whistle2:# I'd love to have a matching drive for it (I'll probably swap the drive itself out for a 60GB or 120GB).

Made it to my local GS 5 mins before closing last night and was able to pick up a 120gb drive.

Brought it home, removed the case, and put it in my slim.

Thanks OP.

I lived on that 20 gigs for years. I only had space to install the current game I was playing and a handful of arcade titles that I'd have to delete if I got new ones.

[quote name='Althax']I lived on that 20 gigs for years. I only had space to install the current game I was playing and a handful of arcade titles that I'd have to delete if I got new ones.[/QUOTE]

Same here. So I ended getting a couple of 16gb flash drives on sale from Newegg. Plenty of storage for me since I stream media from my pc and don't store anything but game saves, dlc and arcade games.. They meet Xbox speed standards, so I have no problems at all.

This isn't bad considering now I can get another HDD for my $5 360 console purchased two months ago which works perfectly and even had Guitar Hero 3 inside disc drive : D

[quote name='mogamer']Same here. So I ended getting a couple of 16gb flash drives on sale from Newegg. Plenty of storage for me since I stream media from my pc and don't store anything but game saves, dlc and arcade games.. They meet Xbox speed standards, so I have no problems at all.[/QUOTE]

I have 1 16 gigflash drive that I used just to store ninja gaiden black on. Love that game but it's 8 gigs and there's no way I could keep it on my old 20 gig drive.

Anyone else only getting 100 gigs of useable space on these 120 drives?

[quote name='Althax']I have 1 16 gigflash drive that I used just to store ninja gaiden black on. Love that game but it's 8 gigs and there's no way I could keep it on my old 20 gig drive.

Anyone else only getting 100 gigs of useable space on these 120 drives?[/QUOTE]

I picked up two 120GB hard drives and they both have 106GB of free space.

[quote name='rey6eric']I picked up two 120GB hard drives and they both have 106GB of free space.[/QUOTE]

That is the standard allotment of free space for 120GB after you account for all the system files. Perfectly normal.

Now to tell if it's a cheap knock-off trying playing an Xbox Original downloaded from the MarketPlace or one on disc -- that is known to be compatible. Halo2, Crimson Skies, etc.

14 gigs is reserved for system updates and the like.

Still on the fence about this. I have to constantly delete crap from my 20 all the time, but 120GB seems like a lot - how do you guys even fill up your hard drives? I'm also worried about getting some Chinese knockoff.

[quote name='UnknownGamer']great deal just wish i had an xbox that took external hd's still :(

update!!!
OOOH friend just told me that you can use this on the Xbox slim too all you have to do is take the housing apart and remove the HD from it and slide it into you Xbox Slim!! he just showed me his and all he has is the xbox 4gb system with his old 120gb from his elite in there. :D[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if this has been already mentioned, but this does work. However, I recommend picking up a slim HDD enclosure for like 5 bucks from ebay. Without it the HDD is a bit loose and floppy, which makes me nervous. I did this with a 60 GB that I had with my old dead 360 when I got the slim.

I guess today is the last day

[quote name='jooanyenna']

NOTE: The gamestop employee told me the sale ends on Sunday which is tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Why isn't everyone building their own 320GB? Super easy, just did it yesterday with the transfer cable I got from Target for $5 and an empty HDD shell for $5 off eBay.

Buy this: WD3200BEKT ($55 @ Amazon)

Follow THESE instructions.

Only catch is, it won't transfer your games that you've downloaded to the HDD from discs so you just need to re-download them to your HDD. All other data (Arcade/Profile/etc) data gets transferred.

Plus that HDD above is a 7200RPM drive, so it's got a little better read/writes then the stock 5400RPM.

320GB 7200RPM Xbox Hard Drive for $65 FTW.

Honestly it's about the money. 65$ is a new game. 25$ is the price point I needed to finally upgrade.

[quote name='whitereflection']14 gigs is reserved for system updates and the like.

Still on the fence about this. I have to constantly delete crap from my 20 all the time, but 120GB seems like a lot - how do you guys even fill up your hard drives? I'm also worried about getting some Chinese knockoff.[/QUOTE]

Arcade games and DLC mainly, like I said before that takes up over 100GB of my HDD. I'm also a bit of an oddball and store a bunch of game trailers, a couple of movies, and the like to watch when I'm bored and that takes up about 60-70 GB of space.

[quote name='Althax']Honestly it's about the money. 65$ is a new game. 25$ is the price point I needed to finally upgrade.[/QUOTE]

I can see that. But if you can afford it now, over time it saves $.

this might be a little outside the realm of this forum, but do you guys store much music/media on your hard drives, and how well does the xbox manage those files? My xbox is hooked up to my 'good' stereo, so i tried to use it as a media hub on my wireless network to stream my music collection from my PC, but it was hugely disappointing to me due to tremendous lag times in communicating between the devices. Now with this larger hard drive, i'm wondering if i should just transfer my MP3/M4a files to the xbox.

Just picked up a 120GB for $27 after I had to prove to the guy that they were on sale. He was 100% positive that it was a online deal only and that it ended yesterday. I had him to ring it up, The look on his face was priceless.

[quote name='pasolini']this might be a little outside the realm of this forum, but do you guys store much music/media on your hard drives, and how well does the xbox manage those files? My xbox is hooked up to my 'good' stereo, so i tried to use it as a media hub on my wireless network to stream my music collection from my PC, but it was hugely disappointing to me due to tremendous lag times in communicating between the devices. Now with this larger hard drive, i'm wondering if i should just transfer my MP3/M4a files to the xbox.[/QUOTE]

As far as I'm aware, the only way to do that is to rip them from an actual CD. You can play them from an external HD connected to the Xbox, but you can't physically copy them to it.

Anyone who bought a spare 120 hard-drive be willing to sell it to me. I tried to call the store I visit the most about the deal, but they said the online deal doesn't apply to them.

[quote name='Rirse']Anyone who bought a spare 120 hard-drive be willing to sell it to me. I tried to call the store I visit the most about the deal, but they said the online deal doesn't apply to them.[/QUOTE]

Really? No no no Really? DO NOT CALL. EVER.

Ring up the item and buy it. Simple enough. Welcome to CAG.

[quote name='Rirse']Anyone who bought a spare 120 hard-drive be willing to sell it to me. I tried to call the store I visit the most about the deal, but they said the online deal doesn't apply to them.[/QUOTE]
GameStop often doesn't communicate these deals to it's employees until the day it starts. Most of the time these deals do not even make it into the bi-weekly marketing book or the monthly planner. In addition the prices in the stores computer listing do not change for these types of promotions so if they look up the price they will not know it is on sale. (I could go on but I'm sure you get the lack of planning)

Long story short: CAG is right more often then GameStop employees. I should know, I am one.

Checked the website to see if I can get one locally. It says the $25 is only the "online price." Did I miss the deal?

[quote name='wune']Checked the website to see if I can get one locally. It says the $25 is only the "online price." Did I miss the deal?[/QUOTE]

It's actually said that on the website since the deal started. You should be able to pick it up in store unless the info about this deal ending today is true.

[quote name='H3YN0W']Why isn't everyone building their own 320GB? Super easy, just did it yesterday with the transfer cable I got from Target for $5 and an empty HDD shell for $5 off eBay.

Buy this: WD3200BEKT ($55 @ Amazon)

Follow THESE instructions.

Only catch is, it won't transfer your games that you've downloaded to the HDD from discs so you just need to re-download them to your HDD. All other data (Arcade/Profile/etc) data gets transferred.

Plus that HDD above is a 7200RPM drive, so it's got a little better read/writes then the stock 5400RPM.

320GB 7200RPM Xbox Hard Drive for $65 FTW.[/QUOTE]

Mind blown if legit.

Just picked up a 120GB, rang up at $25.

Edit:
Just finished switching everything. Gotta say, it feels good :D

I'd love to get in on this deal, but I find all of this proprietary nonsense to be just that. Why should I pay $20 for some cheap plastic cable to transfer data from one old hdd, to a new one that cost me the same amount as the cable MS is trying to hock?

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']I'd love to get in on this deal, but I find all of this proprietary nonsense to be just that. Why should I pay $20 for some cheap plastic cable to transfer data from one old hdd, to a new one that cost me the same amount as the cable MS is trying to hock?[/QUOTE]

so just use a regular thumb drive, format it, transfer data onto it, put new hd in, transfer data from thumb drive to new hd, done.

bread's done
Back