GameStop Ad 01/02-01/08 50% Off Strategy Guides, Skylanders Deals, Price Drops, more

klimb22

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
GameStop Ad 01/02-01/08: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/weeklyad/current/010213/pdf/olfsi_010213.pdf

I know this is usually litepink's thing (props), but I'm not about type out the whole ad when the .pdf is readily available. I wikified the thread if litepink or others would like to add other items of special interest.

Don't mind if I do :) -lp

:360: :ps3: :wii:
Wii_U_platform_icon.png
:3ds: Skylanders Giants Starter Pack $64.99
icongs_r1.gif
Skylander Giants Exclusive 3-Pack $24.99 (releases 01/11/13)

-Bobblehead Stylus $4.99
-Adventure Case $19.99
-Zip Case $9.99
-Battle Arena $29.99

:360::ps3: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion GOTY $19.99

:wii::3ds: Wreck-it Ralph $19.99

:360::ps3: Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013 $69.99 :wii: $49.99

:360::ps3: Legends of War Patton $39.99

:pc: World of Warcraft Battlechest $4.99

:360::ps3: Angry Birds Trilogy $29.99

:360::ps3: 007 Legends $49.99

:360::ps3: Family Guy Back to the Multiverse $49.99

:360::ps3: NASCAR Inside Line $49.99

:360::ps3: WWE 13 $29.99

icongs_r1.gif
50% off all strategy guides

I got BB to price match the 50% since the 40% they had running only worked on one guide. They didn't even care there weren't any of the ACIII CE guides at the local Gamestop, so that was awesome.

As for the GS I went to a different one(I don't like the managers at this one as much) and they were just like, "Oh, well ask and we'll see if we have it". They had none on the floor and didn't believe that they had the 50% off. I stopped going to that one, but I wanted to see if they had a KOA still left, which of course, they said they didn't. I just don't get why you lock them up, how do you make money on them if you have them hidden away?

[quote name='MSUHitman']The OP of that series of threads, I Am The Cheapest Gamer, was banned from CAG.[/QUOTE]

Because he made the penny guide thread or because the penny guide thread dead out

I really see Gamestop deading out in 2-3 years or evening less

[quote name='tuffguycore']I got BB to price match the 50% since the 40% they had running only worked on one guide. They didn't even care there weren't any of the ACIII CE guides at the local Gamestop, so that was awesome.

As for the GS I went to a different one(I don't like the managers at this one as much) and they were just like, "Oh, well ask and we'll see if we have it". They had none on the floor and didn't believe that they had the 50% off. I stopped going to that one, but I wanted to see if they had a KOA still left, which of course, they said they didn't. I just don't get why you lock them up, how do you make money on them if you have them hidden away?[/QUOTE]

I really see Gamestop deading out in 2-3 years or evening less

[quote name='MSUHitman']The OP of that series of threads, I Am The Cheapest Gamer, was banned from CAG.[/QUOTE]
But that wouldn't have anything to do with the thread dying out. As for why it's dying out, stores are getting wise. Best Buy has a new system in place which remove the SKU from the system rather than putting it as a penny. Gamestop employees are well-versed on this policy and more or less know not to sell any pennied guides. You can still get them by arguing hard enough, but it's much much harder than it was before. As for IATCG, some people believe him to be responsible for alerting Best Buy of pennied guides.

Ugh I still can't believe they'd rather throw those out than to let them go to a home where they won't be treated like garbage.

Thanks OP! Picked up (After discounts):
RE6 - 4.50
GW2 - 4.50
2x Soul Calibur V - 2.50
FF 13-2 CE - 12.50

Still a SC5 guide at the Arnold, MO location if anyone in the area is looking.

I just came from one of the Gamestops in my area -- it was the only one of 3 stores that didn't keep their guides on the floor. I asked one of the employees to print me out a list of their inventory and she was more than happy to. I was able to snag hard cover guides for Dark Souls and Soul Calibur V for close to 2 bucks each.

I noticed a few penny guides on the list and decided to play dumb and ask them what they were. The employee explained to me that they were only a penny and was willing to look out back for any of them on the list. I asked her for Resident Evil Archives II and Resident Evil ORC. She came back with the first guide, but looked everywhere for the second one and couldn't find it -- I told her not to worry since it was only a penny. She then convinced me to check out a stack of other penny guides not on the list (Rage, Amazing Spider Man, Tekken Hybrid Artbook w/ CD, Pokemon, etc.). I grabbed Gears of War 3 and Saints Row the Third. It seemed like they were desperate to get them off their hands. Only one of the penny guides was scan-able and it was the only one to show up on my receipt. The other 2 were free. This was very YMMV based on most of the other posts.

Grabbed a couple more guides today: ZombieU and ME3.

Helpful GS employee pointed out that if you buy any game (not sure if it had to be pre owned but mine was) the system takes an additional 20% off the guides. So I asked him for Links crossbow training and saved an additional $3...(actually 2.60 after the wii game).

I realize there's only a few days left of this promo but I figured it was good advice if you're looking at spending more than $2 on guides.

[quote name='Multibeaster79']Grabbed a couple more guides today: ZombieU and ME3.

Helpful GS employee pointed out that if you buy any game (not sure if it had to be pre owned but mine was) the system takes an additional 20% off the guides. So I asked him for Links crossbow training and saved an additional $3...(actually 2.60 after the wii game).

I realize there's only a few days left of this promo but I figured it was good advice if you're looking at spending more than $2 on guides.[/QUOTE]

I saw the 20% promo if you buy a pre-owned game AND use your PUR card.

Does anyone know if I can buy 1 game to discount all my guides? Is it 1 game per guide for the discount?

[quote name='starmask2k3']Because he made the penny guide thread or because the penny guide thread dead out[/QUOTE]

B/C he made and maintained the thread. Other reasons posted before me are valid as well, but that's why the specific CAG thread died.

For those complaining about some GS locations not having guides on the floor, some locations are too small to have the rotating stand to put them in and only have a guide out when it's with a new release.

If they won't give you a printout of what they have in stock though, they're just lazy. All that have to do it type a few numbers into their inventory screen and hit a button to print the list.

[quote name='Zolor23']I saw the 20% promo if you buy a pre-owned game AND use your PUR card.

Does anyone know if I can buy 1 game to discount all my guides? Is it 1 game per guide for the discount?[/QUOTE]

Links crossbow training discounted both guides (I only bought the one game). So I spent $.44 to get an extra 20% of the two guides. I may actually go grab the hitman CE guide tomorrow with this same strategy.

MSUhitman knows this, but damn, sunset hills gamestop is just douche central.
so i asked what guides they had, they said yeah over there on that rack. ok...
i found a penny guide, of game of thrones, he said nope i can't sell you that, ok...
I asked about Bayonetta dlc for Anarchy Reigns preorders and he said they are probly out of them already... ok...
i then buy a few guides and games and go out to car and realize he didnt take 10% off the used wii games i got. so i go back in and he says it is too late for him to do anything about it... what a bunch of dorks. i wouldnt get anarchy reigns from them cept that I want that Bayonetta character. ugh. that whole store sucks.

[quote name='Velo214']MSUhitman knows this, but damn, sunset hills gamestop is just douche central.
i found a penny guide, of game of thrones, he said nope i can't sell you that, ok...
I asked about Bayonetta dlc for Anarchy Reigns preorders and he said they are probly out of them already... ok...
i then buy a few guides and games and go out to car and realize he didnt take 10% off the used wii games i got. so i go back in and he says it is too late for him to do anything about it... what a bunch of dorks. i wouldnt get anarchy reigns from them cept that I want that Bayonetta character. ugh. that whole store sucks.[/QUOTE]

what garbage service. If I acted like that where I work, I would be fired in an instant. I highly doubt anarchy reigns is the hottest game of 2013, where everyone and their grandmothers preorder it, especially at Gamestop:roll:.

[quote name='Tempius']What was the promo code for that Multibeaster79? Should list it on the reciept.[/QUOTE]

And it definitely applied to both guides. Not sure if you need PUR pro tho (which I do have).

Seeing how Gamestop only wanted to give me $8 for Doom 3 vs Bestbuys $20 after 100% promo, I had Bestbuy price match the $19.99 price for Sniper Elite V2.

[quote name='Multibeaster79']10118

And it definitely applied to both guides. Not sure if you need PUR pro tho (which I do have).[/QUOTE]

I don't believe you need PUR pro, but it takes 20% off first, then 50% after, so it isn't just 70% off.

Was going to order online, but this is how stupid it is....

Order Summary

Before Discounts: $9.99 Discounts: -$5.49 Subtotal: $4.50 Estimated Tax: $1.12 Handling: $3.49 Total: $9.11

[quote name='Multibeaster79']10118

And it definitely applied to both guides. Not sure if you need PUR pro tho (which I do have).[/QUOTE]

10118 promo code is on all my guide receipts, and i didn't buy any games with those. Pretty sure that is just the standard PUR 10% discount.

On the one receipt that i bought a new game and 2 guides, i see an additional promo on one guide only, #2831, which takes an additional 10% off(after the 10% PUR, and 50% sale were applied). Which in reality, is only 4% off total.
So, for example buying a $20 guide and a preowned game seems like it would save you about 90 cents if that is why that promo triggered.

Picked up a couple more today... Batman AC CE for $15 and The Witcher 2 for $12.

I didn't realize the Arkham City CE had two different covers, I saw the online picture on Gamestop's website and figured that was the only one, when the employee brought it out the only one they had from the backroom, he even asked me if that one was fine and I said yes without even glancing at it since it was shrink wrapped. Ended up with the Batman cover, no Catwoman for me :(

[quote name='pun123']Was going to order online, but this is how stupid it is....

Order Summary

Before Discounts: $9.99 Discounts: -$5.49 Subtotal: $4.50 Estimated Tax: $1.12 Handling: $3.49 Total: $9.11[/QUOTE]

Isn't SAVER a free shipping code? Does that not include saving on handling?

[quote name='Zolor23']Isn't SAVER a free shipping code? Does that not include saving on handling?[/QUOTE]

order has to be over 24.99. Maybe I can find a few other ones still looking for Spyro Skylander Guide

[quote name='pun123']order has to be over 24.99. Maybe I can find a few other ones still looking for Spyro Skylander Guide[/QUOTE]

Oh, my bad.

Hey guys,

Are the prices still not up online for the half price? They don't even show it online except for the ad. I was thinking that maybe I should do store pickup since the ones I want are showing low stock but I'm nervous when I get there they are all going to be full price.

I guess pickup does give the in store price anyway so that is probably the smart way to do it... but I just wanted to confirm with the pros that this is accurate before I place the order.

Thanks!

[quote name='1NintendoFan']Hey guys,

Are the prices still not up online for the half price? They don't even show it online except for the ad. I was thinking that maybe I should do store pickup since the ones I want are showing low stock but I'm nervous when I get there they are all going to be full price.

I guess pickup does give the in store price anyway so that is probably the smart way to do it... but I just wanted to confirm with the pros that this is accurate before I place the order.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Online, you add it into your cart, and the discount is added automatically.

In-store, it will ring up once they scan a guide.

[quote name='Zolor23']Online, you add it into your cart, and the discount is added automatically.

In-store, it will ring up once they scan a guide.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks. I knew it would be quicker to ask here than ask in store... last time I went to Gamestop for a promo from the ad and they didn't even know what I was talking about :whistle2:#

Thanks again!

So I got a Red Dead Redemption GOTY hardcover guide for a penny. Did I luck out? is there any resell value to this at all? haha... Its super friggin nice.

I also got the Syrim and Mass Effect 3 guides. Im thinking of going back and picking up a few more for 10 bucks and under. great stuff.

[quote name='TPerryoo7']So I got a Red Dead Redemption GOTY hardcover guide for a penny. Did I luck out? is there any resell value to this at all? haha... Its super friggin nice.

I also got the Syrim and Mass Effect 3 guides. Im thinking of going back and picking up a few more for 10 bucks and under. great stuff.[/QUOTE]

I think you will luck out if you get any penny guide.

[quote name='TPerryoo7']So I got a Red Dead Redemption GOTY hardcover guide for a penny. Did I luck out? is there any resell value to this at all? haha... Its super friggin nice.

I also got the Syrim and Mass Effect 3 guides. Im thinking of going back and picking up a few more for 10 bucks and under. great stuff.[/QUOTE]
The Red Dead Redemption is worth a lot. You won't find it on eBay for less than $100. It's quite rare, and all the different stores either don't sell it, or have pennied it out, so that's a great find.

[quote name='Velo214']MSUhitman knows this, but damn, sunset hills gamestop is just douche central.
i then buy a few guides and games and go out to car and realize he didnt take 10% off the used wii games i got. so i go back in and he says it is too late for him to do anything about it... what a bunch of dorks. i wouldnt get anarchy reigns from them cept that I want that Bayonetta character. ugh. that whole store sucks.[/QUOTE]

You know that receipt you got for the purchase? Fill out the online survey and give them the absolute worst score possible. Management actually does look at those things and hopefully it will be enough for someone to talk to him about it. Maybe even fire his ass.

[quote name='Josef']You know that receipt you got for the purchase? Fill out the online survey and give them the absolute worst score possible. Management actually does look at those things and hopefully it will be enough for someone to talk to him about it. Maybe even fire his ass.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the DM of the area is spineless and won't do jack squat about it. Telegraph Rd. store is even worse. Only good stores in the area are Arnold & Fenton (just don't ask the store managers for game recommendations as most of them in the district hate games or only play Halo/sports.)

Still a complaint needs to be filed, especially if someone at corporate starts to look into why her district is in the bottom 1% of metrics in the company ...

[quote name='MSUHitman']Unfortunately the DM of the area is spineless and won't do jack squat about it. Telegraph Rd. store is even worse. Only good stores in the area are Arnold & Fenton (just don't ask the store managers for game recommendations as most of them in the district hate games or only play Halo/sports.)

Still a complaint needs to be filed, especially if someone at corporate starts to look into why her district is in the bottom 1% of metrics in the company ...[/QUOTE]

I would buy cheap shit from those stores and just keep giving them terrible reviews with the receipt. Higher ups then her are bound to notice.

[quote name='pun123']Don't know if this has been said but it is NOT 50% it is 60% with PUR. I just got back from GS and got Skylanders Giants for my son, and the guy told me with PUR you get the EXTRA 10% even though it is a NEW item, so it only cost $8, which was a great deal.[/QUOTE]It's actually 55% since the 10% off reflects the price after the 50% off (e.g. $39.99 guide -> $19.99 after 50% off -> $17.99 after 10% off = 55% off).

[quote name='GamerDude316']Skyrim guide for $13.50 a good deal?[/QUOTE]

Yes but beware it doesn't have Dragonborn in it & each of the last 2 Todd Howard-Bethesda developed games (Oblivion & Fallout 3) each got GotY strat guides that are the most valuable versions.

So I just ask the person working to print a list of the guides that are a penny or all the guides they have in stock

yeah im gonna do the receipt complaint. it seems kinda crotchety old man petty, but i went back today to get more guides and asked if they had any more and just general assholishness. i dont need that, especially as a paying customer. the dm even gave me her # before and un trade banned me for a month or so last year when they were picking on me(lol call the wambulance).

also guy above me, just ask for a list of guides, if you ask for penny guides, you probly wont get any help. i even found a game of thrones guide and the guy was just like, nope cant sell it to ya. so totally ymmv.

[quote name='Velo214']yeah im gonna do the receipt complaint. it seems kinda crotchety old man petty, but i went back today to get more guides and asked if they had any more and just general assholishness. i dont need that, especially as a paying customer. the dm even gave me her # before and un trade banned me for a month or so last year when they were picking on me(lol call the wambulance).

also guy above me, just ask for a list of guides, if you ask for penny guides, you probly wont get any help. i even found a game of thrones guide and the guy was just like, nope cant sell it to ya. so totally ymmv.[/QUOTE]

So would the penny guides show as a penny or do I have to ask them to price it

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yes but beware it doesn't have Dragonborn in it & each of the last 2 Todd Howard-Bethesda developed games (Oblivion & Fallout 3) each got GotY strat guides that are the most valuable versions.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, may wait for that then. We'll see, going to my GS' tomorrow after work.

[quote name='Velo214']yeah im gonna do the receipt complaint. it seems kinda crotchety old man petty, but i went back today to get more guides and asked if they had any more and just general assholishness. i dont need that, especially as a paying customer. the dm even gave me her # before and un trade banned me for a month or so last year when they were picking on me(lol call the wambulance).

also guy above me, just ask for a list of guides, if you ask for penny guides, you probly wont get any help. i even found a game of thrones guide and the guy was just like, nope cant sell it to ya. so totally ymmv.[/QUOTE]

If you have Jackie's number then call her and complain about everything but the penny guides. She won't care about that and actually loves the act of field destroying items, especially hardcover strat guides.

Co-host of POWCast (former 6-year manager of Fenton, MO store) told me about when she personally destroyed the DA: Origins CE hardback guides that had pennied.

The Soul Calibur V guide was 2.03 for me. Good deal along with my CE I got from bb for $20. I'll get at least $4-5 for it from half price books.

[quote name='starmask2k3']So would the penny guides show as a penny or do I have to ask them to price it[/QUOTE]

They show up as a penny.

bread's done
Back