GameStop Banned Me Forever!

animemaniac14

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
sorry if this is the wrong thread! mods just move it if it is!

Backstory
(Dates this happened: Beginning of October 08 - End of November 08) I worked at GameStop for 2 months and worked a GRAND TOTAL of 4 hours (those 4 hours were AFTER my the 1st 4 weeks i had been hired)...A few days afterwards, I get in an argument with an employee at a different GS regarding the use of the "Cellfire" coupon and that she said it was a "fraudulent" coupon, so she calls my manager who proceeds to call his District Manager and for 4 long weeks my hours were put on hold until i got sick of it and called my manager asking him when i was going to work again..and i was told the DM cut me. Angered, i left the DM a message on his voicemail and told him i was unsure of why i was cut. A WEEK later he calls me back and tells me: "YOU WERE FLAGGED BY CORPORATE FOR MULTIPLE TRADE VIOLATIONS. YOU READ IN YOUR HANDBOOK THAT YOU CANNOT TRADE IN MORE THAN 1 OF THE SAME GAME! I HAD NO INTEREST IN KEEPING YOU SO I FIRED YOU." ME: I mean, yes I was trading in multiple copies of the same games, but they were all legitimately bought and I can provide a receipt for them. DM: "I don't really care, i have no interest in keeping you and you're banned from trading at GS."

Since then i've stayed away from GS for about 2 months...then, recently, i tried testing the waters again since it was after the BBV B1G1 ended and it appeared I wasn't banned from GS since my Trade ins actually went through..

So today I decide to head down to my parents house and on the way i picked up a couple of wii sports and did some trade-ins for the "Trade 2 get $30 off a select Wii Game!" promo. I can honestly say i've returned a couple of the games i've gotten from this promo so i could take full advantage of the extra $5-$10 trade-in credit you get. Since i grabbed some :wii: Mercury Meltdown's from the SEARS clearance and some :wii:Code Lyoko's from the FYE clearance..i decided to spread it out to a couple stores cuz it's annoying trying to explain to them why im trading in multiple copies of games. Well about an hour ago i get one of the most intimidating phone calls from the DM as he starts screaming and hollering that he's calling the police because of something about "Loss Prevention" and that I'm running "Scams" and that i understood in the handbook i signed upon my employment at GS that i was NOT allowed to trade in multiple copies of the same games...He tells me if I ever step foot inside another GS again he'll call the police. He also threatened to cancel my edge card and disallow me from spending any of my GS credit ever again at GS. He apparently has some detective in Rome on call that he can contact at anytime if he sees or hears that i've been in one of his stores. When i inquired about my credit and how that was unfair how he could just eliminate all the trade-ins i'd made he tried to cut a deal with me saying: "If you want to use your credit, fine! You contact the store you want to use your credit at, and they'll contact me, and I'll come down there and you can use ALL YOUR CREDIT at that store. But after that, I don't want you steppin foot inside another GS" Yet..he's only in his office once a week?!..

So ye...im officially scared...and im probably leaving out some stuff simply cuz i've never been called a crook like this before, so im honestly pretty shaken up. I didn't realize i've broken some City Ordinance Law where I live..or even that there WAS laws against what i was doing?

even more confusing...near the end of the conversation I asked him "So wait...im banned from ever buying anything at every GS in the country?!" And he said "OH, you can still make purchases at GS using cash, check or credit (card im guessing)" so WTF?! need some advice here...i mean i have NEVER had to deal with something like this before so I thought the CAGs would be the best experts to ask about this situation

You violated the policy GS has on trading in multiples of the same item. You got caught. Shop somewhere else.

[quote name='Ziv']You violated the policy GS has on trading in multiples of the same item. You got caught. Shop somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

This

[quote name='Ziv']You violated the policy GS has on trading in multiples of the same item. You got caught. Shop somewhere else.[/quote]

awesome thx man, big help:roll:

If you're really worried either sell your credit to someone else or shop online. I don't think they can track the credit itself, the only way he knows you've done anything is because your account is entered when you trade something in and he's enough of a miserly twat to stalk your account. So, if you want to continue flipping, just have someone else set up an account.

Uh. Just use all your credit and just get another edge card. Not that hard man.

Gamestop blows, they are by far one of the worst places for customer service i have ever experienced.

[quote name='Cheapass24']what about gamestop.com[/quote]

Any you can make Cheapy D some money by using his affiliate links... if he still has those somewhere... probably does...:-({|=

[quote name='Kayden']If you're really worried either sell your credit to someone else or shop online. I don't think they can track the credit itself, the only way he knows you've done anything is because your account is entered when you trade something in and he's enough of a miserly twat to stalk your account. So, if you want to continue flipping, just have someone else set up an account.[/quote]

wait...i thought your account was also entered into the system when you buy a used game and use your edge card discount?

and i know GS sucks..i've known this for a LOONNGGG time..BELIEVE ME. im not really trying to be able to trade again at GS (i can always get someone else to do it for me)..what I don't understand is some of the things he's saying and whether someone else has maybe experienced something similar to this? Im also very confused how you can be banned from buying anything at GS? that doesn't make any sense to me...

The only reason this happened is because you worked for them. If you did not, you would never have had a problem. Their handbook DOES mention the policy on trading multiple copies of a game and they condone it. No matter what, the manager has the final say on taking a item and can easily deny a trade if they feel suspicious about it. You basically broke the policy and the DM does not want you "scamming" his stores profits. either way, he can't really do much to you legally because he does not have any kind of proof. It's his word versus yours. If you have your receipts from those games, just keep them. Unless he saw you "steal" said games from wherever, all he can do is intimidate you and scare you. He can do nothing, nothing without proof.

Let it go personally, move on and find another district to shop at.

[quote name='RacinReaver']It's a private company and you're a douchebag customer. I can't blame them for not wanting to do business with you.[/QUOTE]

Douchebag customer? Cmon dude, many of us have flipped double games at gamestop... that must make half of this board "douchebags."

[quote name='NismoZZzz']

Let it go personally, move on and find another district to shop at.[/quote]

now if i may ask, what do you mean by finding another district? does that mean i could go to some town 50 miles away and shop at THAT GS? please clarify

I can't see why they care so much.. they buy back most stuff for next to nothing then put it back up for ridiculous prices. It would be interesting to know the numbers you were dealing with here (like how much you paid/how much they offered for it/how much they resell it for) to see why that guy was having a heart attack. The only time I buy from gamestop anymore is when its buy 2 get 1 free since their prices can't compete with ebay/amazon, and I'm patient enough for shipping.

Its all BS really. The only thing they can do is deny you from making purchases. They can take no legal action and are just blowing smoke. There is no state/federal law that says you cant trade multiple games in, thats just a company policy. If he calls again you can sue him for harassment if he really wants to push it. Just because its in an employee handbook means nothing since you no longer are employed at GS.

[quote name='animemaniac14']now if i may ask, what do you mean by finding another district? does that mean i could go to some town 50 miles away and shop at THAT GS? please clarify[/quote]

Find a store not run by this DM. Do you think he runs every store in the state? Noep.

[quote name='NJMane']Its all BS really. The only thing they can do is deny you from making purchases. They can take no legal action and are just blowing smoke. There is no state/federal law that says you cant trade multiple games in, thats just a company policy. If he calls again you can sue him for harassment if he really wants to push it. Just because its in an employee handbook means nothing since you no longer are employed at GS.[/quote]

but can they only ban me from making purchases in his District? or at ALL GAMESTOPS in the country? I was very confused about that part..

EDIT: Well i guess NISMO answered my question...tho he also mentioned he was sending an e-mail to corp -_- so i have no clue what that means either...or why the hell he's so pissed off about me trading in legitimately purchased games when plenty of crackheads try to trade in sealed (and prob stolen) games for their crack money?!

[quote name='animemaniac14']but can they only ban me from making purchases in his District? or at ALL GAMESTOPS in the country? I was very confused about that part..[/QUOTE]

Think about it dude...
How would/could they enforce that? Just sign up for a new edge card. Its not like they check id (At least as far as I know of.) This issue can be easily avoided.

They can't do anything, they can't block you or anything. Go to a store that doesn't know you and just use another name, like a brother or dad.

Most agencies acting like a pawn shop take ID when trading something in.
If you sign up for another Edge card, it's possible they could link the two together and know who you are.

The difference between not allowing you to spend credit, and allowing you to spend cash/check, is that they consider the edge credit as spending "ill gotten gains", trade credit they shouldn't have given you because you violated your part of the agreement. Cash came from somewhere else, so you can certainly spend that.

Calling the police if you enter the store, that could happen. Shopping at a store is a privilege, not a right; as long as they don't refuse you service because of a protected status, they can refuse service to anyone. And this varies by state, but in GA, for instance, "trespassing" is "the unauthorized entry or remaining in the property of another"....being asked to leave, and not leaving, means you're now unauthorized and are now committing criminal trespass.

Generally if there's something in a company's policy manual that says "Don't do this", you shouldn't do it.

I'd be more worried about the "terminated with cause" or "no rehire" on my work history than not being able to trade at GS anymore.

Detective in Rome, though, that's funny.

[quote name='dtcarson']Most agencies acting like a pawn shop take ID when trading something in.
If you sign up for another Edge card, it's possible they could link the two together and know who you are.

The difference between not allowing you to spend credit, and allowing you to spend cash/check, is that they consider the edge credit as spending "ill gotten gains", trade credit they shouldn't have given you because you violated your part of the agreement. Cash came from somewhere else, so you can certainly spend that.

Calling the police if you enter the store, that could happen. Shopping at a store is a privilege, not a right; as long as they don't refuse you service because of a protected status, they can refuse service to anyone. And this varies by state, but in GA, for instance, "trespassing" is "the unauthorized entry or remaining in the property of another"....being asked to leave, and not leaving, means you're now unauthorized and are now committing criminal trespass.

Generally if there's something in a company's policy manual that says "Don't do this", you shouldn't do it.

I'd be more worried about the "terminated with cause" or "no rehire" on my work history than not being able to trade at GS anymore.

Detective in Rome, though, that's funny.[/quote]

Well finally a helpful, tho also saddening, reply to my post! Much appreciated!

I'm not worried about the "termination with cause" because i already received the Separation Notice and it just says "Temporary Job Ended" next to Reason for Separation. So thats all and good

But what i still don't understand is whether im able to walk into a GS in another district and purchase a game from that store? And additionally...if i used my Edge Card...would my account pop up in the system and be flagged and i'd have the DM's wrath fall upon me?

Sounds like he's a prick on a power trip to me. I'll never understand what their deal with trading in multiple games is, they barely pay anything for them....

Yeah, this sounds like he is talkin out his ass. I am new to flipping, but you bought all of the games legally correct?? You went to a store and purchased them with your cash or credit, there for you are just trading in your copy and your brothers(or sisters, whatever so you can trade multiples). Cant you call cooperate on that ass?? I would be shaken up as well, but I agree with gomikeoh. He cant enforce something like that and he has no right to. I would definitly take this to higher up officials.

Here's what you do... Go into a GS that doesn't know you and purchase a new EDGE card. Yup... This time give them your real first name and a variation of your last name. Same with street address/city. They'll never know who you were ever again.

[quote name='yukafls']Yeah, this sounds like he is talkin out his ass. I am new to flipping, but you bought all of the games legally correct?? You went to a store and purchased them with your cash or credit, there for you are just trading in your copy and your brothers(or sisters, whatever so you can trade multiples). Cant you call cooperate on that ass?? I would be shaken up as well, but I agree with gomikeoh. He cant enforce something like that and he has no right to. I would definitly take this to higher up officials.[/quote]

i have never intentionally stolen a thing in my life. I have ALL The receipts for the purchases i made and then traded in. I'm just worried about taking it up with the higher ups...i mean who exactly would i call at corp?

When the guy called me he was on his way home calling from his CELL PHONE (so he obviously had nothing else better to do than to bitch me out). And it'll take a week to get in contact with this guy

Yeah, if he called you from his cell file a report with the police. You dont even know the guy, he just works where you trade in games and stared jabbering crazy shit at you. Just call up a different GS and say you had a bad experience at the one you went to and ask for the corporate number.

[quote name='yukafls']Yeah, if he called you from his cell file a report with the police. You dont even know the guy, he just works where you trade in games and stared jabbering crazy shit at you. Just call up a different GS and say you had a bad experience at the one you went to and ask for the corporate number.[/quote]

Lol well technically i DO know the guy...sort of...he's the DM... so he's also my ex-boss' boss. But I've spoken to him only twice..once to be fired..and once to be threatened (so both bad experiences). I wonder if his cell phone number would show up in my call logs..even tho he ID blocked his number? hmmm...

and HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO CANCEL MY TRADE-INS IF IM NOT ALLOWED TO SET FOOT INSIDE A GS STORE?!

Just go into a different one, and ask to put all of your credit on a gift card. If they ask questions say you sold it all to a cousin or something. Get it before it is canceled or "lost" somehow. If he has made threats like this you should definitely take it higher up

[quote name='kewlrabbit']Sounds like he's a prick on a power trip to me. I[/quote]
this.

i might take NismoZZzz's tip. district managers runs stores within his given range. who knows though, a 50 mile away GS could still be under him. the DM was probably an old clerk who got promoted and eventually took the dm seat. if gamestops are run by idiot pricks like this guy, i would take my business elsewhere. they wont loose any money from you though so it wouldnt matter to them. but like someone said, save your receipts just in case they try to do something stupid.

I'd call his bluff. Only because I'd be ready to fight if I ever saw the guy, and I'd put a couple lumps in his dome.

[quote name='redshadow']I'd call his bluff. Only because I'd be ready to fight if I ever saw the guy, and I'd put a couple lumps in his dome.[/quote]

haha :lol: that was good for a laugh

but im seriously considering calling corporate in the morning since the DM was talking bout that detective and i def felt way too many threats coming from him...im sure corp will still ban me from trading which i could careless about...but from purchasing i don't think that should be right, and im hoping corp will hear my case

gamestop corporate is a bunch of ladies and gentlemen who couldn't hack it in the real world so just do the intelligent thing and poke a stick at them again by having friends/family trade in games for you. EB/GS is a joke, they think they are the nazi army of the videogame world cause the bought out eb. Just do what you can to stay always cheap brother, and cosidering im from a long line of law enforcement in my family, im 100 percent sure no police or other law agency will take action against a habitual game tradeing offeneder.

btw i had a similar situation occur to me over a year ago so that i had my gf begin trading games in for me and the stores GM who had banned me just gave up due to my cleverness

thanks for the positive advice svt1029 :whistle2:D

but what about stepping inside of a GS? apparently they COULD call the police on me for "trespassing" according to another poster here...but the DM DID say "stay out of MY stores!" which prob just means the ones he manages...wish i knew how to figure out which ones he managed...

and can they track your activity according to gift cards you use? Or is it only edge?...cuz thinkin back on our conversation...he at first said he didn't want me in any GS's..then he said HIS GS's...then he said I could only use my credit at one store and then that was it...THEN he ended the convo with I could spend cash/check/credit card to buy games at GS...oh so confusing..

ehh there should be able to track what sector he manages but i see no way he can possibly track you, this is just some CIA wannabe guy who kicked all the nerds asses in highschool so this is his way of continueing to be a royal Pain in the A$$ to the nerdy community. When you trade in games do the ask for ID? they never have at any GS's near me but to be 100 percent honest you can technically become a ghost on his radar. I have traded multiple thousands of dollars worth of games to them and bought thousands of dollars worth, so if they have a ounce of business intelligence in them, they wont P/O a well paying customer

to be 100% honest here, I dont own an edge, three of my friends have it so see no reason to purchase my own, (true cheapa$$) i just give them the number from their edge card,(all three numbers saved in my phone) and i tell them its my edge but the numbers rubbed off the card and thats all i have to show, works everytime, seems like eb put monkeys in the leadership positions.

btw if they call the cops on you for tresspassing the cops will laugh and maybe ask you to leave the store, best case scenario for you is to catch this DM in a store and do somehting like trade in games infront of him, hope he touchs you, sue BIG TIME and live happily ever after, people are such tools about nothing, no reason to get upset on something like videogames when theres such more important things in life

[quote name='animemaniac14']haha :lol: that was good for a laugh

but im seriously considering calling corporate in the morning since the DM was talking bout that detective and i def felt way too many threats coming from him...im sure corp will still ban me from trading which i could careless about...but from purchasing i don't think that should be right, and im hoping corp will hear my case[/quote]yeah, threats are a no no when you run a business. the problem with gamestop and its employees is that if they do their numbers and does them well, its going to be tough to fire them. if they talk like that to you then it means there will be no action taken from corporate. theres never any harm in trying though :)

i would take some steps by contacting the BBB (better business bureau). after that you might want to set your phone to record incoming calls from him. if he does it again, report the company to the federal trade commission.

[quote name='svt1029']to be 100% honest here, I dont own an edge, three of my friends have it so see no reason to purchase my own, (true cheapa$$) i just give them the number from their edge card,(all three numbers saved in my phone) and i tell them its my edge but the numbers rubbed off the card and thats all i have to show, works everytime, seems like eb put monkeys in the leadership positions.[/quote]

hmmm thats not a bad idea...might have to try that, in fact..ill DEF have to try it.

But another curious question...if i use My edge at a location thats not within the DM's district...will he see that my name has come up int he system?

[quote name='svt1029']btw if they call the cops on you for tresspassing the cops will laugh and maybe ask you to leave the store, best case scenario for you is to catch this DM in a store and do somehting like trade in games infront of him, hope he touchs you, sue BIG TIME and live happily ever after, people are such tools about nothing, no reason to get upset on something like videogames when theres such more important things in life[/quote]

if only i knew what he looked like..damn he even sounds like the kind of guy who would grab some kid by the arm, flex his muscle, and throw him out of the store only to be sued by the wrath of no less than 8 lawyers. I could actually come out of this gaining money! SWEET. but unlikely

bread's done
Back