Gamestop buying games for 50% more credits starting Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

pera

CAG Veteran
Starting Thursday for those have that power reward card (silver one)
and Friday for those who do not have those cards.

I went into local gamestop today to sell old games, but the employee told me that they are going to have 50% more promotion starting tomorrow. I called the another local gamestop and he told me that it will be tomorrow (thursday) for power reward members and Friday for general public.

good luck :)

Here's a question I'm too lazy to call GS about: If I already have an EDGE card that doesn't expire until May, do I have to pay for a PUR card? If I went in today asking about getting one, would I have to pay the annual fee today and start my membership all over?

Also, is having a silver PUR card a status thing or just extra money? GS totally lost me with their PUR card and I haven't been in the store since they converted.

[quote name='metallicoholic']Here's a question I'm too lazy to call GS about: If I already have an EDGE card that doesn't expire until May, do I have to pay for a PUR card? If I went in today asking about getting one, would I have to pay the annual fee today and start my membership all over?

Also, is having a silver PUR card a status thing or just extra money? GS totally lost me with their PUR card and I haven't been in the store since they converted.[/QUOTE]

it's essentially the same thing. you can go to www.poweruprewards.com and register your current member# to start earning points.

The silver Power Up card is the "Paid" card, similar to the Edge card. The Black Power up card is the "free" card where you just accumulate points and can get free items. no discount or 10% bonus trades, no subscription for it.

[quote name='VaultDweller']so instead of getting $5 for a game that came out a year ago, I can get $7.50?? thats awesome![/QUOTE]

no, 7.5 credits:D

I'm sure they'll gladly reduce trade in values by 40% across the board on wednesday night.

Love that gamestop!

Hope amazon bumps up some TIVs

Hey, better then nothing.

I remember EB having better trade in credit before GS bought them, not entirely sure if that's my imagination, though.

[quote name='acsguitar']Good stuff I'll trade in something towards you Don't know Jack which is only 29.99[/QUOTE]

Thumbs up. I just picked it up yesterday, and it is awesome.

[quote name='acsguitar']Good stuff I'll trade in something towards you Don't know Jack which is only 29.99[/QUOTE]

But you won't get jack for your trade

This is good if TIV dont drop too much. Want yo trade in towards MvC 3!! 25% they giving out now isn't enough for me to lose games for.

[quote name='metallicoholic']Here's a question I'm too lazy to call GS about: If I already have an EDGE card that doesn't expire until May, do I have to pay for a PUR card? If I went in today asking about getting one, would I have to pay the annual fee today and start my membership all over?

Also, is having a silver PUR card a status thing or just extra money? GS totally lost me with their PUR card and I haven't been in the store since they converted.[/QUOTE]

So your too lazy to dial a few numbers on a phone but youll type all that out and then sit to wait for someone to respond that isnt working at gamestop to reply so you can come back to your pc and check the thread later? Then again some people would rather waste more time and effort being lazy than actually just doing something simple themselves and actually saving themselves time and effort by not being lazy.

[quote name='salty tbone']Like moths to the flame, GS haters can't wait to jump into this thread and share their wisdom.[/QUOTE]

And like moths to the same flame, GS haters haters gotta jump in and share their wisdom of the GS haters.

After the flame goes out, who gives a fuck?

Anyone have any idea how this might affect the trade in value for a game like Black Ops? I know there was a deal running @ GS in Canada where you could trade it in with a promotion and get a new copy of Killzone 3 for next to nothing.

[quote name='etcrane']Anyone have any idea how this might affect the trade in value for a game like Black Ops? I know there was a deal running @ GS in Canada where you could trade it in with a promotion and get a new copy of Killzone 3 for next to nothing.[/QUOTE]

The TIV has already taken a dive because of the tax promotion deal they have right now. So i wouldn't hold your breath on any good flip tomorrow for Black Ops.

I think there's probably a game or two I don't play that I might as well trade in. I did that with the last similar promotion and don't regret it. Only trade in stuff that gives a good value after the bonus. Simple as that.

[quote name='elessar123']What is 150% of nothing?[/QUOTE]

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

(150 0's)

I only trade in there when they have the extra $5 per game or 2 select games and get ___ new release for $20. BB has good flips u just gotta look for them.

[quote name='chimpster1313']50% more Credits, what are we, on Coruscant?[/QUOTE]

^ lol'd x4

Also lol'd x2 at SilverBullet's terribly great pun xD

[quote name='gargus']So your too lazy to dial a few numbers on a phone but youll type all that out and then sit to wait for someone to respond that isnt working at gamestop to reply so you can come back to your pc and check the thread later? Then again some people would rather waste more time and effort being lazy than actually just doing something simple themselves and actually saving themselves time and effort by not being lazy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not proud of it, but hey, it worked. I just didn't feel like calling up the store and asking about a card that I'm hardly that interested in. Plus I can skip out on the spiel of the employee trying to get me to sign up for the card.

Maybe I'll head over there with my leftover credit on my EDGE card to get You Don't Know Jack and get talked into getting one. Even if I don't shop there, the $15 for the GI subscription is worth it.

While we're on the subject of the Gamestop cards, I used to have a paid Edge card that got converted into a Silver PUR card before it expired. (Don't ask... I took enough advantage of a B2G1 sale once that the Edge card paid for itself) But now it has expired, and I don't want to renew it.

Thing is, every, single, time I use pull out my card at a GS, I get asked if I want to renew it. I don't want to renew it, I wouldn't have gotten it in the first place if it hadn't paid for itself at the time, and I'd really rather get it changed to the Black PUR card so that they won't ask me about renewing it all the time. But none of the GS employees I've asked seem to know of any possible way to get an expired Silver Card changed into a Black Card.

Any ideas? Every transaction I have at a GS starts with "No, I don't want to pre-order anything, and no, I don't want to renew my PUR card." It would be nice to at least get it pared down to "No, I don't want to pre-order".

[quote name='JanusZeal2']While we're on the subject of the Gamestop cards, I used to have a paid Edge card that got converted into a Silver PUR card before it expired. (Don't ask... I took enough advantage of a B2G1 sale once that the Edge card paid for itself) But now it has expired, and I don't want to renew it.

Thing is, every, single, time I use pull out my card at a GS, I get asked if I want to renew it. I don't want to renew it, I wouldn't have gotten it in the first place if it hadn't paid for itself at the time, and I'd really rather get it changed to the Black PUR card so that they won't ask me about renewing it all the time. But none of the GS employees I've asked seem to know of any possible way to get an expired Silver Card changed into a Black Card.

Any ideas? Every transaction I have at a GS starts with "No, I don't want to pre-order anything, and no, I don't want to renew my PUR card." It would be nice to at least get it pared down to "No, I don't want to pre-order".[/QUOTE]

You'll just have to start answering the "would you like to become a Pro member for 15$ and get a free magazine and stuff."

---

In other news, I've got a few games I'll probably dump off of this runs for more than a few days, if not I'll wait until the next one. It's not like the TIV for Big Bumpin', NFL Head Coach 09, Kung Fu Panda and LEGO Indiana Jones have that far to plummet until then.

lol, the funny thing is, the idiots are actually gonna swarm to this pseudo deal.

it drives me crazy knowing people are too stupid to sell their stuff for what its worth.

[quote name='StripesOrBars']lol, the funny thing is, the idiots are actually gonna swarm to this pseudo deal.

it drives me crazy knowing people are too stupid to sell their stuff for what its worth.[/QUOTE]
What do you like feeBay?

These GS deals can be sweet, like the Fable 3 B2G1 deal in December. You buy 3 games, and trade in 2 copies Fable 3 and net $8 trade in value(from the extra 50%) plus a $55 game free. SD was all over it.

Thanks for the heads up OP! We'll see how this plays out.

Just got this email from Gamestop:

Starting Friday, February 11, through Sunday, March 6, get an extra 50% trade-in credit* on any games you trade at any GameStop store.

And, because you’re a PowerUp Rewards member, you get access a whole day earlier than everyone else!

So, on Thursday, February 10, bring your games to any GameStop store, present your PowerUp Rewards card to activate your trade bonus, and get even more for your trades – even sooner!

[quote name='StripesOrBars']lol, the funny thing is, the idiots are actually gonna swarm to this pseudo deal.

it drives me crazy knowing people are too stupid to sell their stuff for what its worth.[/QUOTE]

I'm just curious if you're aware that quite a few CAG's wait for this type of deal from GS and actually end up ahead of the game by flipping a variety of games they have previously acquired for rock-bottom prices? It's also not a bad deal for newly released games, and I'll even provide an example.

For instance, I think trading in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood for 38.40 ($24 credit at GS + 60% bonus credit) is a pretty solid deal. The other alternatives are as follows:

- eBay for $30 - $40 (don't forget about fees)
- Amazon for $27.00 credit
- craigslist/CAG for $35 - $45 (you can advertise to sell if for the $45, but you probably won't find anyone to buy it for that much unless you're lucky)

So, comparing those other avenues, does the trade in to GS really seem that bad? Does it make us "stupid?"

The answer is, not really. What is stupid is generalized comments like yours which in essence try to simultaneously insult our intelligence for trading at GS, and possibly make you look superior because you can "sell games for what they are worth." GTFO.

On topic, I've been waiting for this to come up so I can trade in some games. Thanks, OP.

[quote name='chimpster1313']50% more Credits, what are we, on Coruscant?[/QUOTE]
Best reply ever. And I need to actually finish some games so I have something to trade in.

[quote name='randomevent'] GTFO.
[/QUOTE]

You made a very brilliant and true statement randomevent, sadly I think this is the only part of your post that guy will be able to understand.

Hmmm I have Fable II, Bully, Dante's Inferno to trade in, maybe I can use the credit towards Dragon Age II

Last time GS did a 50% promo, Amazon bumped most of their TIVs (even new games) up 60% to match (plus PUR), so I'd wait and see if that happens. Good to know it's like 3 weeks long, gives me time to burn through some of these 8 hour SP-only games I have sitting around.

And it drives me crazy knowing people are stupid enough to think the only reason people to go Gamestop is because some elitist prick on the internet didn't tell them not to. They're not still in business because you haven't told enough people to stop going there. I'm not stupid because I'd rather go to Gamestop than get the runaround elsewhere, and neither is anyone else. Believe me when I say that there is not a single person on this planet who needs your help on this matter. By posting things like this, you're providing no new information or useful advice. I can't stress enough that you're not contributing anything to anyone anywhere at any time ever.

heads up, called my friend that works for gamestop, she just got her own store, she said deal is good and that there is a 99.999999% chance that the trade in database is getting updated either tonight or tomorrow night.

i know nothing new here yadda yadda, she said she'd try to forward any major changes my way.

[quote name='randomevent']I'm just curious if you're aware that quite a few CAG's wait for this type of deal from GS and actually end up ahead of the game by flipping a variety of games they have previously acquired for rock-bottom prices? It's also not a bad deal for newly released games, and I'll even provide an example.

For instance, I think trading in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood for 38.40 ($24 credit at GS + 60% bonus credit) is a pretty solid deal. The other alternatives are as follows:

- eBay for $30 - $40 (don't forget about fees)
- Amazon for $27.00 credit
- craigslist/CAG for $35 - $45 (you can advertise to sell if for the $45, but you probably won't find anyone to buy it for that much unless you're lucky)

So, comparing those other avenues, does the trade in to GS really seem that bad? Does it make us "stupid?"

The answer is, not really. What is stupid is generalized comments like yours which in essence try to simultaneously insult our intelligence for trading at GS, and possibly make you look superior because you can "sell games for what they are worth." GTFO.

On topic, I've been waiting for this to come up so I can trade in some games. Thanks, OP.[/QUOTE]

i agree with the message of this thread but just to clarify i don't believe ACB will net us $38 in credit. Last time I checked (using the Xbox value which was dated more recently at 1/29, it was only $20 base which would only get us $32 without considering the possible drop in TIV tomorrow.

On the other hand, even though the email about the 50% TIV bonus states that the deal cannot be combined with others, i wonder if the deal would stack with the extra 20% TIV bonus for ordering a game for in-store pickup?

[quote name='Donut2922']i agree with the message of this thread but just to clarify i don't believe ACB will net us $38 in credit. Last time I checked (using the Xbox value which was dated more recently at 1/29, it was only $20 base which would only get us $32 without considering the possible drop in TIV tomorrow.

On the other hand, even though the email about the 50% TIV bonus states that the deal cannot be combined with others, i wonder if the deal would stack with the extra 20% TIV bonus for ordering a game for in-store pickup?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I went based on the PS3 version. The latest post I saw in the main GS topic showed a $24 credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back